Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Bike Friday pakiT - Mostly Good/Some Bad

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

New Bike Friday pakiT - Mostly Good/Some Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 06:51 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Own any Of Bike Friday's Bikes? or are you an expert looking at a picture..
Dude, what is your problem? Interceptor already provided helpful tips about how he sets his seatpost height, which is what my question was. The videos and pictures clearly show how it's done in collapsing. The lady who runs the company even demos it on a BF made YouTube video.
Are you an expert at BF trolling?
Yes, I do own one, which is entirely beside the point.
Welcome to the blocked list.
Old 10-08-17, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Reads like you don't know, So, If it matters do more research, like calling them on the Phone, perhaps?

As a JIT manufacturer you have options on their Specification Menu, with your order , and Deposit $..

They can make the post hinged or removable, its a choice..

It's not a choice, you're talking about Bike Friday models that have nothing to do with the Pakit. The seatpost drops down to fold the bike just like Brompton, Dahon, etc. You're welcome.
Old 10-09-17, 01:47 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brompton_X
I like bfold too. Bought two Birdy from them. David is great and very helpful.
That he is; and very knowledgeable about folding bikes, too. Bought a Brompton S6L-X from him in 2013,
and now a 2017 Bike Friday pakiT.

I think the shop has a titanium Birdy for sale, used. If you(or anybody else) has any interest; was told they were limited run.
Old 10-21-17, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Just wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to put a pair of casters onto the ends of the little u-shaped Pakit stand so the bike can be rolled on them and the wheel?
Old 10-21-17, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Anything is possible. How good a machinest are you? Roger
Old 10-21-17, 05:21 PM

I'm not a machinist. Just want to know if it is reasonably a possibility. I could pay someone to do it if it would work - one consideration in my future bike purchase. But if it's not even feasible, I'd like to know. The other possiblity is to see if the brompton Nitto rack with wheels can be fitted. Obviously don't want to rebuild the bike so hoping for a not-too-complicated process.
Old 10-21-17, 09:05 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can always Hire the services of one .. a few frame builders have survived the vast inflation of the cost of living there ..

The Tikit was made to roll, folded, on its front wheel, but now they're all out, production, done, maybe reselling on the used market ?eBay, etc.
Old 10-21-17, 09:16 PM

Not looking for a tikit. Considering a single speed pakit, 17 lbs. Would work great with my Travoy and ShareRoller drive when I get it. But I'm not wanting to take a lock so I"d have to carry it - which isn't fun even at a low weight. The rolling thing is the only consideration making me look at Brompton (but there's a whole bunch of problems with that related to fit - I'd need 165mm cranks, and other modifications which would be extra $). Could strap it to the Travoy when I have that with me, but won't always have it. Wouldn't think it would be so hard to figure out how to put skateboard wheels on it but I'm no engineer or mechanic.
Looks like I could get someone to weld on a piece of straight tubing with an axle through it near the end instead of getting the u shaped stand. I think I will call BF and see if they would do it.

Last edited by linberl; 10-21-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 09:27 PM
Banned

roll the knocked down/folded Pakit bike strapped on the Travoy then .. it seems obvious..

Tikit locked the front wheel straight ahead , Pakit does not. so it flops..

I'm a 70 year Old Bike Mechanic, My father was the machinist, Mare Island Navy Ship Yard Vallejo..

Wouldn't think it would be so hard to figure out how to put skateboard wheels on it but I'm no engineer or mechanic.
thinking is the easy, cheap part, you need someone to make it for you , they need the funds committed , to do it..
Old 10-21-17, 10:28 PM

roll the knocked down/folded Pakit bike strapped on the Travoy then .. it seems obvious..

Tikit locked the front wheel straight ahead , Pakit does not. so it flops..

I'm a 70 year Old Bike Mechanic, My father was the machinist, Mare Island Navy Ship Yard Vallejo..

thinking is the easy, cheap part, you need someone to make it for you , they need the funds committed , to do it..
Yeah, it would only be a problem when I don't have the travoy along. Rivendell isn't too far from me, I bet they know someone who can weld a piece of cromo tubing and drill some holes. I can put the axle and wheel on, lol. So if BF can't or won't, I'll try them. I don't understand why they didn't build it with small wheels there - could pick up the former Tikit owner market.
Old 10-22-17, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Bike Friday may even do it for you if you order a new bike. Then they would be able to work out the kinks and sell it as a future option. My friend rode develpement bikes for them for years and they (Bike Fiday) was always interested in good ideas to try. Roger
Old 10-22-17, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rhenning
Bike Friday may even do it for you if you order a new bike. Then they would be able to work out the kinks and sell it as a future option. My friend rode develpement bikes for them for years and they (Bike Fiday) was always interested in good ideas to try. Roger
I will definitely talk to them about it. My brother is a graphic designer so I can get him to draw it up. I figure there are two ways to do it. One is to put threads on the kickstand legs, then bolt an axle with properly spaced holes over it. The other is to use larger tubing and put holes for the axle in them. First option would be much easier, cleaner looking, and make more sense in a production setting. Then it could be an option - axle/wheels/bolts or rubber caps. Since the kickstand is removable, I might see if BF will just sell me one to go play with first.
Old 10-22-17, 10:24 AM
Banned

Call them on the telephone, they have an 800 toll paid line.
Old 10-22-17, 11:11 AM

I will. I've been talking with Steve, will see what he says. =)
Old 10-22-17, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Yeah, it would only be a problem when I don't have the travoy along. Rivendell isn't too far from me, I bet they know someone who can weld a piece of cromo tubing and drill some holes. I can put the axle and wheel on, lol. So if BF can't or won't, I'll try them. I don't understand why they didn't build it with small wheels there - could pick up the former Tikit owner market.
Heck, you may get it done right next door to RBW. The muffler guys are pretty handy with a welder, and they or Riv may have the tubing you need to rig that thing up.
Old 10-22-17, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Heck, you may get it done right next door to RBW. The muffler guys are pretty handy with a welder, and they or Riv may have the tubing you need to rig that thing up.
That's true!!! And in rethinking it, all I need is a bracket that will go through the kickstand mount that can bolt a plate to a skateboard truck fitting. Then, pop on a titanium skateboard truck with wheels for minimal weight and maximal strength. Maybe could even figure out something QR so you could take it off when you really want to minimize bike weight.
The other option is something like the Dahon carry strap - I need a way to get hands-free carrying is all. At <18 lbs that might be good enough for those times I don't have the travoy along (going up stairs to my favorite movie theater, popping in to buy a sandwich, etc.). There are some pretty good leather crafters on Etsy, could see about getting a couple of leather loops with connection points that can stay on the bike and just toss a strap in my sling bag. There are some nice leather handles out there but they don't get you "hands-free".
Old 10-22-17, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not looking for a tikit. Considering a single speed pakit, 17 lbs. Would work great with my Travoy and ShareRoller drive when I get it. But I'm not wanting to take a lock so I"d have to carry it - which isn't fun even at a low weight. The rolling thing is the only consideration making me look at Brompton ...
Did you look into using one of the many racks made by or for Brompton to roll a different bike- like the Packit? With different struts and some mixi`n and fixi`n do`nt you think it is possible? Get hold of the measurments, make one in wood or plastic just to play around and see what you can do. Some of them are Ti so light and strong. Also there is one made for B from carbon rods (find a kite shop) and some bolts and nuts.

I guess you`d need a Packit to start testing it out..
Old 10-22-17, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by badmother
Did you look into using one of the many racks made by or for Brompton to roll a different bike- like the Packit? With different struts and some mixi`n and fixi`n do`nt you think it is possible? Get hold of the measurments, make one in wood or plastic just to play around and see what you can do. Some of them are Ti so light and strong. Also there is one made for B from carbon rods (find a kite shop) and some bolts and nuts.

I guess you`d need a Packit to start testing it out..
I thought about the Nitto rack (which could easily be adapted) but the issue I see is that the wheels would be too far forward, and the rear wheel is not low enough to the ground with the seatpost fully dropped. The kickstand location is further back so steering by lifting the seat nose would lift both regular wheels off the ground so no interference . I could put much bigger wheels on the Nitto rack (more weight though) but still I think the position is too forward to roll comfortably.

I'm thinking I can get by with a strap temporarily and work on a solution with the kickstand position, trial and error. I don't think it would cost that much to try and configure some options but you are right - I'm gonna have to get the bike first. Leap of faith I can make it work. Unless BF wants to try with me - that's my starting point.

I'm actually think one wheel would be enough to roll it, suspended between the kickstand legs...like the Dahon Qix.
Old 10-22-17, 01:31 PM
Banned

Someone else complained (on another forum) that the rubber tips come off kicking the Y thing as you pedal ,
at least the Brompton wheels are bolted on, and don't go anywhere when you kick them..

Old 10-22-17, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought about the Nitto rack (which could easily be adapted) but the issue I see is that the wheels would be too far forward, and the rear wheel is not low enough to the ground with the seatpost fully dropped. The kickstand location is further back so steering by lifting the seat nose would lift both regular wheels off the ground so no interference . I could put much bigger wheels on the Nitto rack (more weight though) but still I think the position is too forward to roll comfortably.

I'm thinking I can get by with a strap temporarily and work on a solution with the kickstand position, trial and error. I don't think it would cost that much to try and configure some options but you are right - I'm gonna have to get the bike first. Leap of faith I can make it work. Unless BF wants to try with me - that's my starting point.

I'm actually think one wheel would be enough to roll it, suspended between the kickstand legs...like the Dahon Qix.
The dahon classic lll also has got that small wheel in the kickstand area. I have recently seen a short video of somebody wheeling a packiT, but the fact that somebody did it and posted a film does not mean it is easy and something you want to do often. Maybe the packiT can get a lot of followers and plenty aftermarket stuff like with the Brompton
Old 10-26-17, 09:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: to many

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badmother
The dahon classic lll also has got that small wheel in the kickstand area. I have recently seen a short video of somebody wheeling a packiT, but the fact that somebody did it and posted a film does not mean it is easy and something you want to do often. Maybe the packiT can get a lot of followers and plenty aftermarket stuff like with the Brompton
I actually have a few o these wheels .... lol talking about Dahon spares or the old notion that nothing is available for dahons lol
Old 11-02-17, 07:52 PM
LET'S ROLL

Just wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to put a pair of casters onto the ends of the little u-shaped Pakit stand so the bike can be rolled on them and the wheel?
I wonder if it's possible to take off the kickstand altogether and somehow bolt a single caster wheel.
Using the connected handlebar as a handle to steer.

Office parking 2017 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Update: Bike Friday sent a new rear triangle and my dealer installed it. Clearance between tire and caliper is much better. Should be able to fit a Marathon in the future. Bike was ordered with Kojaks. Chain still rubs on triangle when at the smallest cog. Still using a spacer to prevent rub. New issue. There's a pin to hold/attach the rear triangle. The matching hole in the new triangle is a bit off - pin doesn't go in. Needs a bit of filing.

New MKS US-S EZY clipless pedals installed. Seems nice; kinda heavy though. A bit of trouble releasing; might get better after a few more miles.
Old 11-02-17, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I wonder if it's possible to take off the kickstand altogether and somehow bolt a single caster wheel.
Using the connected handlebar as a handle to steer.

Office parking 2017 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Update: Bike Friday sent a new rear triangle and my dealer installed it. Clearance between tire and caliper is much better. Should be able to fit a Marathon in the future. Bike was ordered with Kojaks. Chain still rubs on triangle when at the smallest cog. Still using a spacer to prevent rub. New issue. There's a pin to hold/attach the rear triangle. The matching hole in the new triangle is a bit off - pin doesn't go in. Needs a bit of filing.

New MKS US-S EZY clipless pedals installed. Seems nice; kinda heavy though. A bit of trouble releasing; might get better after a few more miles.
Since I haven't seen a pakiT up close yet, I'm just going by some pics. Looks like the kickstand threads through a tube. Is the tube brazed on or is that bolted? Because if there's a bolt hole, then it's do-able. I was thinking I'd have to bridge the kickstand legs and that's a bit more complex. Or one could do something like this: https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2012...-wheel-on.html

How come you needed a new rear triangle? that's worrisome. I'm planning on folding the pakiT (assuming i get it) at least 6 times every day. Do you think it is made to withstand that? Did BF cover the labor cost with your dealer for the replacement labor?
Old 11-08-17, 02:30 PM
LET'S ROLL

Since I haven't seen a pakiT up close yet, I'm just going by some pics. Looks like the kickstand threads through a tube. Is the tube brazed on or is that bolted? Because if there's a bolt hole, then it's do-able. I was thinking I'd have to bridge the kickstand legs and that's a bit more complex. Or one could do something like this: Hands On Bike: Qbicle Folding Bike Roller Wheel on the Dahon Vitesse P18-TT

How come you needed a new rear triangle? that's worrisome. I'm planning on folding the pakiT (assuming i get it) at least 6 times every day. Do you think it is made to withstand that? Did BF cover the labor cost with your dealer for the replacement labor?
Yes, the kickstand just slides in the tube and is held in place by a bolt. Have to double check(I'm at work while my bikes are home right now); but I'm pretty sure that tube is a welded piece on the rear triangle. There are 2 bolts/holes on either side; I'm assuming eyelets for a rack. That's another possible place to mount some kind of roller wheel. I think the rack eyelets would be a better place to experiment.

The original rear triangle had the chain rubbing at the smallest cog. And there was very little clearance between the Kojak tire and rear caliper(Origin8). I was concerned that if I swapped to a Marathon in the future; the tire would rub on the caliper. My dealer(BFold) didn't charge me anything; either for the new triangle and the labor for swapping. I think the pakiT should be ok with being folded/unfolded throughout the day.
Old 11-08-17, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Yes, the kickstand just slides in the tube and is held in place by a bolt. Have to double check(I'm at work while my bikes are home right now); but I'm pretty sure that tube is a welded piece on the rear triangle. There are 2 bolts/holes on either side; I'm assuming eyelets for a rack. That's another possible place to mount some kind of roller wheel. I think the rack eyelets would be a better place to experiment.

The original rear triangle had the chain rubbing at the smallest cog. And there was very little clearance between the Kojak tire and rear caliper(Origin8). I was concerned that if I swapped to a Marathon in the future; the tire would rub on the caliper. My dealer(BFold) didn't charge me anything; either for the new triangle and the labor for swapping. I think the pakiT should be ok with being folded/unfolded throughout the day.
Thanks for the answer. I'm ordering tomorrow. My brake choice (shimano 105) is also 49mm drop and BF says I can go up to marathon plus. Guess I will keep that email just in case =).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.