Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10-speed shifter replacement (Dura-Ace, Record)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

10-speed shifter replacement (Dura-Ace, Record)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again to all for your input, this had been a deluge of useful information

Originally Posted by Kimmo
So the 7800 calipers are totally compatible with Ergos.
Shiftmate!
Shiftmate!
Shiftmate!
Thanks for the illustration on where to install the shiftmate.
Which shiftmate is that, between the ergo shifters and rear Dura-Ace derailleur?
Do I need one for the front derailleur? Sould i use one for the brakes if the pull turns out to be different?

I just realized that a cycling buddy of mine is using SRAM Red. I had no idea! They feel pretty nice, i like the shifting action, i could get used to the double-tap. The brakes part feels a bit "unsubstantial", but more in a lightweight way rather than a flimsy way.
Replacing the 16-year-old derailleurs with we SRAM Red 10s sounds like a good idea, as i plan to keep riding this bike for many years.

The Ergos + Shiftmate solution also looks good. These would be my top choices.

Just to make sure, I will take the bike to a new mechanic that's been recommended to me, just to make sure it's not an installation problem. Unfortunately it's not something I can do myselt.

I'll admit I do want a "sexy" solution for this bike, nothing flimsy feeling, minimal number of cables sticking out of the shifters (i don't like the insect antennae look), i can't install anything on the downtube even if i wanted to.
Old 10-18-21, 04:53 PM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Me again.

I had Sram for about 10 months. I was so happy to get it off my bike. It was Rival, not Red but the action left a lot to be desired. Lots of half shifts. Not as accurate as the Campy I’m used to. Overall I wouldn’t get it again. The only way I’d get Sram again would be for electronic shifting. I don’t like their mechanical action.

Coming from DA 10 speed, I don’t think you’re going to like double tap. I know you don’t have a million options but you should skip that one. It’s not a long term upgrade and you’ll likely be looking for another fix in a year or two.

Ergos and a shift mate would be fine if you don’t want Gevenalle.
Old 10-18-21, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by nilser
.... i could get used to the double-tap.....
.... minimal number of cables sticking out of the shifters (i don't like the insect antennae look)
Well why didn't you say so sooner? You can get Sensah brifters. These use double-tap shifting and have hidden cables.

Another (much more expensive) option would be the ST6700 Ultegra brifters. They are still available new on Ebay.