Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 08:02 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11428 Post(s)
Liked 4,798 Times in 2,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
the Look is their endurance spin, the Spesh is their Dentist/Lawyer spin (I am neither, just an old fart).

The Spesh is more stable climbing at lower speeds, tracks better. Feels more secure descending at speed and seems to provide a smoother ride. It’s more nimble in a not twitchy way.

Both are more relaxing to ride compared to my previous ride which wanted my full attention.

I thought I would sell on the one that I liked least but I enjoy both and switch between them often. Something about that Campy feel.

I built this one 20 years ago but it was just too demanding of my slower responses.

Not

Black stem, polished spacers, seat post and cages, weird bar tape and a white saddle.

A polished stem would be my choice. White tape and hoods would go with the saddle and cables.

Nothing goes with that thing hanging off the saddle.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-07-24, 02:48 PM
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Not

Black stem, polished spacers, seat post and cages, weird bar tape and a white saddle.

A polished stem would be my choice. White tape and hoods would go with the saddle and cables.

Nothing goes with that thing hanging off the saddle.
wasn’t representing it as hot but to make a point.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-07-24, 07:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Shadco
wasn’t representing it as hot but to make a point.

Perhaps you mistook this thread for "What road bike do you have?"
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-07-24, 08:49 PM
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Perhaps you mistook this thread for "What road bike do you have?"
Please forigive me for polluting your most awesome thread. Allow me to hurry and amend my answer to another poster on your thread.

Could you please delete the offending photo from your reply also?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-07-24, 08:59 PM
LAJ
So it is

It's not "my thread"
Old 01-07-24, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 381 Posts
My first submission to this thread, my Canyon Ultimate. I know, indoor presentation sucks. Color isn't actually grey, but rather clear coat.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 01-08-24, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
My first submission to this thread, my Canyon Ultimate. I know, indoor presentation sucks. Color isn't actually grey, but rather clear coat.
I dig it! That's a very good looking bici
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 01-08-24, 06:14 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,237 Times in 3,894 Posts
High-quality, racy machine. Nice saddle-bar drop. No superfluous accessories. Colored bar tape is coordinated well. All the things are in the right places....

Hot!

Last edited by Eric F; 01-09-24 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-09-24, 08:50 AM
LAJ
So it is

Hot.
I think that bar tape works. There's always a first time.
Old 01-09-24, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Yes, I am part of the full stack of spacers gang.

Old 01-09-24, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I agree with Eric. Both are hot, I love the look, but I like color, even if it breaks LAJs golden rule.
The Look bike is "Hot" mostly because it having Campy and the Aethos just misses for me just because I am not a fan of the Super Sticky Fade tape. Call me boring, but I prefer the more solid Supacaz tapes
Old 01-09-24, 10:38 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Jrasero
Yes, I am part of the full stack of spacers gang.

Those are both very nice bikes. However, their hotness is cooled by stem spacers, gear selection, and misalignment of cranks and valve stems. The saddlebag on the Spec is a cooler, too.

I understand that the handlebar position might be what you prefer for bike fit, but keep in mind that it's not personal. This is the thread of unreasonable bike judgement and criticism.
Old 01-09-24, 11:03 AM

Not that I disagree with your takes, but these unwritten rules and the ability to take a proper photos abiding to these rules IMO have been and always will be arbitrary nonsense. Again, I don't disagree that my valves aren't unaligned and gearing isn't right, I simply disagree on a personal level that it even matters. If someone takes a picture of a Ferrari but the valve caps aren't align that IMO doesn't make it less of a car, maybe aestically for a picture it peeves some people but it's still a super car. If Margot Robbie isn't smiling, slouching, and wearing a hoodie she still is Margot Robbie and is insanely beautiful. Again, you will hear no resistance in me that I didn't follow these unwritten bike photo taking rules, but again I argue that these are bikes and not photography composition rules. In the end with these rules you could have a Huffy bike and as long as it followed these arbitrary rules it technically could be considered "hot". So I ask the question is it bike that matters or is it the rules?
Old 01-09-24, 11:45 AM
Habitual User

Not that I disagree with your takes, but these unwritten rules and the ability to take a proper photos abiding to these rules IMO have been and always will be arbitrary nonsense. Again, I don't disagree that my valves aren't unaligned and gearing isn't right, I simply disagree on a personal level that it even matters. If someone takes a picture of a Ferrari but the valve caps aren't align that IMO doesn't make it less of a car, maybe aestically for a picture it peeves some people but it's still a super car. If Margot Robbie isn't smiling, slouching, and wearing a hoodie she still is Margot Robbie and is insanely beautiful. Again, you will hear no resistance in me that I didn't follow these unwritten bike photo taking rules, but again I argue that these are bikes and not photography composition rules. In the end with these rules you could have a Huffy bike and as long as it followed these arbitrary rules it technically could be considered "hot". So I ask the question is it bike that matters or is it the rules?
Again...this thread is about unreasonable judgement and criticism. It is light-hearted, playful, arbitrary nonsense. You are absolutely correct that it doesn't matter in the real world.

That said, in terms of the framework of what this thread is about, the bike itself is the biggest factor. An un-hot bike does not become hot because of aligned valve stems, crank position, and/or gear selection. These things don't add hot points. Those points can only be deducted. A bike with significant hot potential can be cooled by setup, accessories, color choices, and misalignment. Generally speaking, the standard of comparison for setup is pro road bikes, and the staging/alignment guidelines this community has established. This thread is the equivalent of the swimsuit competition portion of a beauty pageant.

Also...I REALLY like your Scott.
Old 01-09-24, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I agree with Eric. Both are hot, I love the look, but I like color, even if it breaks LAJs golden rule.
Originally Posted by Eric F
Again...this thread is about unreasonable judgement and criticism. It is light-hearted, playful, arbitrary nonsense. You are absolutely correct that it doesn't matter in the real world.

That said, in terms of the framework of what this thread is about, the bike itself is the biggest factor. An un-hot bike does not become hot because of aligned valve stems, crank position, and/or gear selection. These things don't add hot points. Those points can only be deducted. A bike with significant hot potential can be cooled by setup, accessories, color choices, and misalignment. Generally speaking, the standard of comparison for setup is pro road bikes, and the staging/alignment guidelines this community has established. This thread is the equivalent of the swimsuit competition portion of a beauty pageant.

Also...I REALLY like your Scott.
I get the objective of the thread and know it's light hearted fun, I just feel on a serious note this perpetuation of cycling gatekeeping is what's making cycling less of a sport and more into something that resembles playing golf at a country club. Again, it's all fun here and I understand these unwritten rules, but they are getting into the obscurity of baseball and frankly this is what helps propel the false notion that cyclists are snobs or think they are better than everyone else.

Thank you for your praise but as someone who is married to a Filipino we all know the swimsuit section of the beauty pageant isn't actually the most important part but the interview segment is because all of the woman at that point are in the 1% of beauty so seeing them in a swimsuit to look for minuscule flaws really isn't going to make or break if they are "beautiful" or not

Last edited by Jrasero; 01-09-24 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 12:49 PM
Habitual User

... the false notion that cyclists are snobs or think they are better than everyone else
I've been around cycling a long time. That notion is not always false...unfortunately.
Old 01-09-24, 03:10 PM
Habitual User

...we all know the swimsuit section of the beauty pageant isn't actually the most important part but the interview segment is because all of the woman at that point are in the 1% of beauty so seeing them in a swimsuit to look for minuscule flaws really isn't going to make or break if they are "beautiful" or not
Exactly my point. This thread is a judge of appearance, with zero consideration for performance or how well a bike suits the needs of the rider, which are - by far - much more important to the riding experience. This is the swimsuit segment. It's unnecessarily judgmental and meaningless, but I still like looking at hot bikes.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-09-24 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,520 Posts
1. I had to look up Margo Robbie. Must be out of the loop.

2. Is that a rattlecan paint job on the Scott? Odd combo. It's a love or hate paint job.

3. Green chain is not hot. I don't care if it matches the frame. Might as well paint the tires purple.

Last edited by seypat; 01-09-24 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 06:31 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by seypat
1. I had to look up Margo Robbie. Must be out of the loop.

2. Is the a rattlecan paint job on the Scott? Odd combo. It's a love or hate paint job.

3. Green chain is not hot. I don't care if it matches the frame. Might as well paint the tires purple.
The Scott paintjob is factory. In the sunlight, it's spectacular (IMO), but probably not for you if you prefer a stealth look (like the Spec in the same post) The chain is "oil slick", and will present as a rainbow of different colors, depending on the light. Again, probably too much bling for some folks.
Old 01-09-24, 06:38 PM

The Scott paintjob is factory. In the sunlight, it's spectacular (IMO), but probably not for you if you prefer a stealth look (like the Spec in the same post) The chain is "oil slick", and will present as a rainbow of different colors, depending on the light. Again, probably too much bling for some folks.
I was gonna go with a hot....until I saw that chain. Then I had to go to the bathroom and flush my eyes with water.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-09-24, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10249 Post(s)
Liked 5,206 Times in 2,233 Posts
Don’t like the rules don’t post. Read the opening intro to this thread. If you want to post your bikes to show it off, post it in the “What road bike do you have thread”. Posting here, then complaining about the “rules” when you didn’t follow them, and then to act as if you are above them is arrogant.

Scott paint job is nice the Hyper wheels look sweet. Is than an KMC oil slick chain?
All black Aethos is nothing exciting.
Old 01-09-24, 06:48 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10249 Post(s)
Liked 5,206 Times in 2,233 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I was gonna go with a hot....until I saw that chain. Then I had to go to the bathroom and flush my eyes with water.

Wife just bought me that chain for my madone. If that is how it looks, that will not work.
Old 01-09-24, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Exactly my point. This thread is a judge of appearance, with zero consideration for performance or how well a bike suits the needs of the rider, which are - by far - much more important to the riding experience. This is the swimsuit segment. It's unnecessarily judgmental and meaningless, but I still like looking at hot bikes.
Yep...my Canyon that I posted above, is not my favorite road bike I own. The above Canyon is racy and climbs like a dream, but the braking is atrocious and it's not quite at home on some of the more rough local roads. I guess it meets the standards of "hot," but it's very single-purpose...I own it solely for long days climbing the big Sierra passes, it's not the best "daily driver." My heavy disc brake bike or even my gravel bike are the bikes that I grab the vast majority of the time.
Old 01-09-24, 07:55 PM

Speaking of my "heavy" disc brake bike, here's the bike I take out the vast majority of the time. I've had it a few years now, by far my most favorite bike I've ever had.

I'm open to criticism on the bar tape. I know the red tape looked good on the other bike, but I'm split on red or black the next time I need to replace the tape on this bike.

Old 01-09-24, 08:04 PM

Speaking of my "heavy" disc brake bike, here's the bike I take out the vast majority of the time. I've had it a few years now, by far my most favorite bike I've ever had.

I'm open to criticism on the bar tape. I know the red tape looked good on the other bike, but I'm split on red or black the next time I need to replace the tape on this bike.

I'd give it a hot, especially if you could make the silver around the headset disappear.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.