Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this bike fit for me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this bike fit for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thank you a lot, you make very confortable
Old 02-16-23, 04:21 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You will have ten posts in no time .... reply to this post (feel free to tell me to shut up ) and you will almost be there.

Please keep us informed on this.

I will clarify---Not every old bike has every problem. I have dealt with so many old bikes, and seen these issues so many times (I learned about old bottom bracket grease when the pedals seized miles from home and I had to walk with a bike with a locked rear wheel (which I didn't know how to fix in those days, I learned through suffering ) that I tend to recall all the things which might go wrong.

it is possible that the bike is super-low-mileage and was stored is such a climate that every part is perfect. I'd doubt it .... but who knows?

If you know enough about bikes that you can tell if it has been abused or not, know what a notchy headset or hardened brake shoes or rusty cables feel like .... then it is a simple, steel-framed bike which could last a long time. The wheels might be true, the spokes properly tensioned, the bearing grease fresh enough .....and maybe you have enough mechanic skill to fix any little thing which might need a little care.

It Could be a good deal ... depends on price and condition.

In my experience people who buy low-end bikes tend to use them hard and maintain them little .... and often store them out behind the garage where the elements take their toll .... and I don't retract a single warning I have given here. But only you can see the bike.

As to your first question .... yeah, it either already should fit or could be adjusted to fit someone who is 5'8".

Please keep us updated. It is always nice to hear how this stories play out, particularly after we have all put so much energy into debating it;

Thanks, and I hope you get the bike which works for you.
and thank you for the clarification
Old 02-16-23, 06:03 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
here is the link : kona-smoke
Old 02-16-23, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by bikaso
here is the link : kona-smoke
Seeing that it's been looked over by a co-op and is sold by the co-op, I think it's fine. $450 CAD is what? $350 and change USD? Yes, there are better deals out there, but this price is reasonable. If you are not familiar with bike maintenance yourself, it's a good idea to get acquainted with your local bike co-op in any event.
Old 02-16-23, 08:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Seeing that it's been looked over by a co-op and is sold by the co-op, I think it's fine. $450 CAD is what? $350 and change USD? Yes, there are better deals out there, but this price is reasonable. If you are not familiar with bike maintenance yourself, it's a good idea to get acquainted with your local bike co-op in any event.
ok

Last edited by bikaso; 02-16-23 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 10:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,858 Posts
Best of all possible worlds .... someone else has already done the work.

Should be a good bike ... and you know where to take it if something breaks.

I am no fan of grip-shift, but that is a personal problem. Otherwise, seems like a good ride.
Old 02-17-23, 08:01 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You will have ten posts in no time .... reply to this post (feel free to tell me to shut up ) and you will almost be there.

Please keep us informed on this.

I will clarify---Not every old bike has every problem. I have dealt with so many old bikes, and seen these issues so many times (I learned about old bottom bracket grease when the pedals seized miles from home and I had to walk with a bike with a locked rear wheel (which I didn't know how to fix in those days, I learned through suffering ) that I tend to recall all the things which might go wrong.

it is possible that the bike is super-low-mileage and was stored is such a climate that every part is perfect. I'd doubt it .... but who knows?

If you know enough about bikes that you can tell if it has been abused or not, know what a notchy headset or hardened brake shoes or rusty cables feel like .... then it is a simple, steel-framed bike which could last a long time. The wheels might be true, the spokes properly tensioned, the bearing grease fresh enough .....and maybe you have enough mechanic skill to fix any little thing which might need a little care.

It Could be a good deal ... depends on price and condition.

In my experience people who buy low-end bikes tend to use them hard and maintain them little .... and often store them out behind the garage where the elements take their toll .... and I don't retract a single warning I have given here. But only you can see the bike.

As to your first question .... yeah, it either already should fit or could be adjusted to fit someone who is 5'8".

Please keep us updated. It is always nice to hear how this stories play out, particularly after we have all put so much energy into debating it;

Thanks, and I hope you get the bike which works for you.
It's clear that you have a lot of experience working with old bikes. I will definitely keep your advice in mind as I continue to consider this purchase. And I will certainly keep you all updated on what I decide to do. Thanks for your input, it's great to have a community of fellow bike enthusiasts to turn to for advice and support.
Old 02-18-23, 09:57 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi, and sorry to bother you again. but could you tell me between this three bike what in your opinion is best
Fuji Absolute 2.1
cannondale Quick disk 5
cannondale Quick 6

Devinci milano acera

Last edited by bikaso; 02-18-23 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 10:31 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6278 Post(s)
Liked 4,863 Times in 3,352 Posts
The Quick appears to have a slightly more relaxed fit just looking quickly at the geometry chart.

The differences between the two models of Quick is basically just the components IE, wheelset, tires, crankset and cassette gearing.

If you are buying these locally, then weigh them and get the lightest. Or just pick whichever has your favorite color and screams "ride me" to you!
Old 02-18-23, 11:27 AM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 251 Posts
All 4 of those bikes are cheap and lame and made for beginners. Exactly the same.
Old 02-18-23, 04:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thank you for opinions, very instructive .
also i forgot to add this one too, if you can give your opinion .

Devinci milano acera
Old 02-18-23, 09:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Those are not lame bikes .... they are solid entry-level bikes. Look at the details on the frames---no stamped dropout there.

Yes, Tourney is a questionable group set .... but it is the entry-level Shimano road group set. it might not stay in adjustment so well, and it might flex a little more .... But is it ridable? yes.

if a person on a budget wants a reliable bike and isn't intending to race or jump of five-foot drops bikes at that level can provide reliable transport and also pleasure .... the owner had best keep on top of preventive maintenance (check spoke tension frequently) but if s/he does, the bikes will last.

Not every wants, needs, or can afford the maximum bike-bling, highest-tech gear .... a bike like the OP is suggesting is just a slightly better than basic bicycle ... cassette and freehub, flat bar and trigger shifters (much easier to work on and to replace than brifters, and worlds cheaper), heavier than expensive bikes, but sturdy ... and with an Al frame and a steel fork, it should give a nice ride. (My 1983 Cannondale ST-500 has an Al frame and a steel fork ... and it Still rides well.)

I cannot get info on the DeVinci but if it is eight-speed is it Claris, or Acera? Tektro hydro discs? I might prefer simpler gear at that price point. Not saying anything bad about anything, but something like hydro discs ... you just can't make them too cheap, without inviting reliability issues.

Mechanical discs are a lot simpler than hydro discs, and the Fuji's V-brakes (or whatever is the latest term) are old-school proven reliable tech.

Everyone is different, and I might miss some good stuff because of my views, just as I might miss some potential problems ... but when I buy something inexpensive I like it to be simple and straightforward ... less to go wrong.

I recommend going to bike stores, explaining what you're looking for and your max budget---but Don't Bring Money!!!!! They will always try to upsell you, and it is way to easy to fall in love with the wrong bike. Do as many test rides as you can and get a feel for what fits.

By the way, the Cannondale has a 46-30 crank ... pretty low gearing for road riding. Fuji's triple---48-38-28---is good for almost any terrain and great for carrying loads, while still giving you some top end.
t
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-19-23, 04:54 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you are awesome Maelochs, i like your explanation you clarified a lot for me.
actually i am tending on the Fuji but i would like to know your opinion on the Devinci milano-disc-acera24 ?
Old 02-19-23, 07:11 AM

I have to go to work Right Now or I will be late. I will try to do some research later today.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-20-23, 03:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those are not lame bikes .... they are solid entry-level bikes. Look at the details on the frames---no stamped dropout there.

Yes, Tourney is a questionable group set .... but it is the entry-level Shimano road group set. it might not stay in adjustment so well, and it might flex a little more .... But is it ridable? yes.

if a person on a budget wants a reliable bike and isn't intending to race or jump of five-foot drops bikes at that level can provide reliable transport and also pleasure .... the owner had best keep on top of preventive maintenance (check spoke tension frequently) but if s/he does, the bikes will last.

Not every wants, needs, or can afford the maximum bike-bling, highest-tech gear .... a bike like the OP is suggesting is just a slightly better than basic bicycle ... cassette and freehub, flat bar and trigger shifters (much easier to work on and to replace than brifters, and worlds cheaper), heavier than expensive bikes, but sturdy ... and with an Al frame and a steel fork, it should give a nice ride. (My 1983 Cannondale ST-500 has an Al frame and a steel fork ... and it Still rides well.)

I cannot get info on the DeVinci but if it is eight-speed is it Claris, or Acera? Tektro hydro discs? I might prefer simpler gear at that price point. Not saying anything bad about anything, but something like hydro discs ... you just can't make them too cheap, without inviting reliability issues.

Mechanical discs are a lot simpler than hydro discs, and the Fuji's V-brakes (or whatever is the latest term) are old-school proven reliable tech.

Everyone is different, and I might miss some good stuff because of my views, just as I might miss some potential problems ... but when I buy something inexpensive I like it to be simple and straightforward ... less to go wrong.

I recommend going to bike stores, explaining what you're looking for and your max budget---but Don't Bring Money!!!!! They will always try to upsell you, and it is way to easy to fall in love with the wrong bike. Do as many test rides as you can and get a feel for what fits.

By the way, the Cannondale has a 46-30 crank ... pretty low gearing for road riding. Fuji's triple---48-38-28---is good for almost any terrain and great for carrying loads, while still giving you some top end.
t
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on entry-level bikes and the considerations to keep in mind when choosing one. It's true that not everyone needs or can afford the most high-end equipment, and for those on a budget, bikes like the ones you mentioned can provide reliable transportation and enjoyment. Preventive maintenance is key to keeping them in good condition, and it's important to keep on top of things like spoke tension.

You make some good points about the pros and cons of different groupsets and braking systems at various price points. It's important to find a bike that fits your needs and riding style, and doing test rides is a great way to get a feel for what works best for you.

Overall, it's great to see people getting into cycling and finding bikes that fit their budget and needs. As long as the bike is well-maintained and the rider is happy with it, that's what really matters.
Old 02-20-23, 03:43 PM

Sorry about the Davinci research I haven't done yet .... I have 4500 photos to edit .... as soon as I burn out on photos, i will go look up the bike
Old 02-20-23, 07:31 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry about the Davinci research I haven't done yet .... I have 4500 photos to edit .... as soon as I burn out on photos, i will go look up the bike
no worry and thank your help . in mean time i find some interesting bike locally if you allow me to chare them with you.
Globe City 5

2020 Masi Strada
Old 02-21-23, 04:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

t
I agree, entry-level bikes can be solid and reliable options for those on a budget who aren't looking to race or do extreme activities. Regular maintenance is important to keep them in good condition. Simple and straightforward bikes can also be a good choice for those who want to avoid potential issues. Visiting bike stores and doing test rides can help in finding the right fit and model. Different bikes have different gear options and it's important to choose the one that fits your needs and terrain.