Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Night riding

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Night riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Night rides are my favorite. I ride slow but the dynamo lights the way. Even in the city cars notice you big time with good lights. I feel safer than daytime.
I love night riding, so peaceful. And you're right, it feels safer in certain ways.

Last edited by Esos1; 07-27-22 at 09:05 PM.
Likes For Esos1:
Old 07-27-22, 09:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,113 Posts
Night off road riding is a blast - some of the most fun / exhilarating bike riding I've done

years (and years) ago we (multiple groups) rode 1-2 nights per week from late summer - through the winter - to early spring

if there was snow on the ground - some guys met in the urban areas to ride the parking garages

at the time there were basically two quality light systems - Night Sun and Night Rider
Old 07-27-22, 09:29 PM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I do enjoy riding at dusk and at night! Watching the sun slowly sink below the horizon and the light gradually fade away is a beautiful experience! Watching the sunrise is cool too!

When I was still working, I was able to bike commute most of the time and got to enjoy this quite often. Honestly, when I retired, I knew that I'd miss the bike commute! I even took a picture of the last time the bike was in the rack at work....

I don't really miss riding at night in the middle of January, but seeing the critters at dusk was fun. The only downside was that I had the same schedule as a skunk that crossed the road near a creek. There were a couple of times where I thought "what's that dark spot on the road?", and then noticed the white stripe and the movement!! Fortunately, the skunk didn't seem to be worried about me.

Steve in Peoria
Given some of your comments in the past and location, did you work at one of the CAT facilities? I was born and raised in Peoria.
Old 07-28-22, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Given some of your comments in the past and location, did you work at one of the CAT facilities? I was born and raised in Peoria.
Yep, over in the Mossville area. This photo was taken at one of the old factories that were converted to offices about 15 years ago.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-28-22, 10:55 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
Spring break, freshman year in college, flew up from Santa Barbara to SF with a buddy and two boxed bikes. 2nd day we made it to the outskirts of Pacific Grove on California Hwy 1 and it was getting dark, so we pulled off to the side of the road and stealth camped till about midnight when a full moon woke us up. It was too bright to sleep, so we packed up and rode to Big Sur. We didn't have any lights, just the moonlight bouncing off a calm Pacific Ocean to light our way. One car passed us going the other way the entire evening.

Last edited by gugie; 07-29-22 at 06:33 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 07-29-22, 03:00 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Spring break, freshman year in college, flew up from Santa Barbara to SF with a buddy and two boxed bikes. 2nd day we made it to the outskirts of Pacific Grove on California Hwy 1 and it was getting dark, so we pulled off to the side of the road and stealth camped till about midnight when a full moon woke us up. It was too bright to sleep, so we packed up and rode to Big Sur. We didn't have any lights, just the moonshine bouncing off a calm Pacific Ocean to light our way. One car passed us going the other way the entire evening.
Sounds amazing. I used to do my paper route by streetlight at 5 am on my western flyer sting ray knockoff. A huge wald basket on the front. Not quite the same thing I know but it felt like I owned the city at 12 years old.
Old 07-29-22, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Night riding is fine - temperatures are cool, streets are mostly empty, and it is quiet, peaceful.

I have a Cygolite up front and a hugely powerful Dinotte red in the rear. A helmet light would be overkill for street riding, IMO.