Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

North Carolina bill to require bicycle registration/fee

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

North Carolina bill to require bicycle registration/fee

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 06:38 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
So

if you have a BMX or Track Bike that is only used at those facilities do you still need to pay your tax with this bill?
Old 03-03-19, 07:05 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No, I don't think I need or "ought" to support statments that are qualified with the words "probably" and "likely."

The Boston poster asked "Any questions?" I asked questions relevant to his post.

The poster from Boston tossed out a bunch of numbers about parking spaces at one station in response to the post that you cite that did not indicate anything about how many bike commuters ride anywhere or what impact MUP's have made on the number of commuters who switched to bike commuting as part of their commuting routine or how they previously commuted.

Perhaps you have an opinion, information or maybe even a question on the topic; or perhaps not.
I've ridden through the Alewife Station area dozens of times. It is at the confluence of three heavily trafficked mups and the T system. Literally thousands of bikes pass through there every day, some to connect to the trains, some just to switch between paths. I don't need to see a lot of data to know that those people would have to use some other form of transportation if the infrastructure didn't make some fairly long bike commutes possible. If some of that is drawing passengers from public transit, that's fine. Boston transit is pretty much running at or near capacity, with no drastic increases in capacity likely in the foreseeable future. Adding bikes at this point costs the taxpayers nearly nothing.

Frankly, if you see it in action, your "likely " and "probably" seem pretty silly.
Old 03-04-19, 10:53 AM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Since wear and tear on the roads is roughly proportional to vehicle weight, perhaps a tax or purchase surcharge based on vehicle weight applied to all vehicles (trucks, cars, motorcycles, bicycles) would be appropriate? It might be several hundred dollars for a heavy truck, but only a few pennies for a bicycle. That way nobody could whine about cyclists not paying their way (despite the fact that only federal and state level roads are funded by the fuel tax, while city and township roads are funded by property tax, regardless of whether you have a motor vehicle).
My thought exactly.

I'm not sure if NC does this, but it might be prudent to have reduced fees for certain work vehicles (I'm thinking of those involved in agriculture).
Old 03-04-19, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 5.2 Madone SSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visitor impact

Does this affect visitors bringing their bikes in from out of state?
Old 03-04-19, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What' next?

They want to charge cyclists for using the road? What's next? I walk on the road to. How about my shoes? Would I have to put a license plate on the back of my shoes? LOL Insurance? Property taxes?
Old 03-04-19, 01:37 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Just do not understand the need for this and the added policing this requires for law enforcement. And it seems you will get a plate to attach to your bicycle. For me I would just carry the registration card and forgo the plate.

https://trackbill.com/bill/north-car...ycles/1701849/
Because just like there are idiot vehicle drivers there are idiot bicyclists who cause accidents and/or injuries and a lot of people want there to be some way of tracking down such bicyclists and fining or otherwise penalizing them for risky behaviour that imperils others.

Cheers
Old 03-04-19, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Y'all are most likely getting all worked up for nothing. There were about 2,000 bills filed during the last session of the NC General Assembly and only about 150 became law. The sponsor is in the majority party but is not a major player so this bill's chances aren't zero but they're not good.

I have worked in the office of a state legislator and I can tell you that ridiculous bills get filed all the time by both parties. Many of them with no intention of ever even being considered much less passed.

I have seen many cases where the bill's own sponsor did not believe in the bill but filed it as a favor or to satisfy a persistant lobbyist or constituent. They let it sit in committee and die and go back and tell the interested party that they "did what they could."

This is just political BS. If they actually wanted to pass something like this they would slip it in as a provision in a larger "omnibus" style bill. The fact that this bill has been assigned to run the gauntlet of 4 separate committees before it could even reach the House floor tells you all you need to know about it's chances.
Old 03-04-19, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, Blix Aveny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For what it's worth, ivI' spoken to my rep In the House (who also serves on the transportation committee.) He's opposed to this bill and doesn't think it will get out of committee. If by some chance it does, it has to clear four other committees before being brought to the floor for a vote. I got the feeling it has snowball's chance in Hell of becoming law. However, I plan to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-04-19, 03:37 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by LongKayak
For what it's worth, ivI' spoken to my rep In the House (who also serves on the transportation committee.) He's opposed to this bill and doesn't think it will get out of committee. If by some chance it does, it has to clear four other committees before being brought to the floor for a vote. I got the feeling it has snowball's chance in Hell of becoming law. However, I plan to keep an eye on it.

Thanks! I kind of suspected that when I googled the bill and found stories indicating it had been filed but quoting no one in support of the bill. This has "somebody's pet peeve" written all over it.
Old 03-04-19, 03:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Because just like there are idiot vehicle drivers there are idiot bicyclists who cause accidents and/or injuries and a lot of people want there to be some way of tracking down such bicyclists and fining or otherwise penalizing them for risky behaviour that imperils others.

Cheers
Can you provide examples to prove this theory? Can you list injuries and property damage?
Old 03-04-19, 03:40 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Cripes
This is just political BS. If they actually wanted to pass something like this they would slip it in as a provision in a larger "omnibus" style bill. The fact that this bill has been assigned to run the gauntlet of 4 separate committees before it could even reach the House floor tells you all you need to know about it's chances.
This.
Old 03-04-19, 04:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale ST 700, Cannondale SR 300, Tomasso Road Bike, Mallarte (Look) Titanium road Bike, ATP Vision Recumbent, Scarab Recumbent Trike, Scott Mountain Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
At least this will permanently lay to rest the claim that cyclists aren't paying to use the roads.

Also, what about "read my lips, no new taxes?"
I live in NC and own 4 motor vehicles. I think I already pay my fair share to ride my bicycle on the road thank you.
Old 03-04-19, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by solman06
I live in NC and own 4 motor vehicles. I think I already pay my fair share to ride my bicycle on the road thank you.
Indeed, in my state, local roads that I actually ride on are paid for by my property taxes. The cost of maintaining roads at the state and federal level is mainly a subsidy to the heavy trucking industry.
Old 03-04-19, 06:25 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Can you provide examples to prove this theory? Can you list injuries and property damage?
All you need to do is go out and ask people who've had a close call with a bicyclist who had disobeyed traffic laws or rules of the road. Those people, whether pedestrians or motor vehicle operators, and many others are the ones who are demanding that bicyclists be licensed. People want bicyclists to be accountable for their actions just like any other user of the road.

Most provinces here in Canada consider a bicyclist to be a vehicle when on the road and as such that bicyclist is supposed to follow the rules of the road. Far many times they don't and that leads to injury to others or even to the bicyclist. Drivers get right royally ticked off when bicyclists reckless behaviours such as running red lights causes the motorist to have to take violent evasive action or slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the errant bicyclist. That in turn often causes a motor vehicle accident.

I've been a bicyclist riding on the roads for over 60 years and there are times when even I wish that a bicycle had a license or some way of penalizing a bicyclist who causes or damn near causes and accident. The ONLY vehicular accident I had in that 60+ years of riding a bicycle was when a bicyclist zoomed out of a one way street and was riding the wrong direction and entered the VERY busy road i was on. the corner of the street he exited from was a blind corner and I had absolutely no chance to see him before I hit him. I was f40 miles from home and now had a bent front fork that hit the downtube when the front wheel was turned to the side. Fortunately I was able to pull the fork forward enough to get the wheel to clear the downtube so that I was able to limp home. The bike was a writeoff and that damn wrong way riding bicyclist got off scott free. If he'd had a license on the bike I could have notified the police that he'd left the scene of an accident.

Hpw many times have your read on these forums of hits and or near mosses of bicyclists caused by other bicyclists on MUPs or other shared pathways? Believe me it's a problem and from what i see and hear both in real life and on forums such as this the problem is getting worse hence the demands by a lot of people that bicycles on the roads be licensed.

At one time and for most of my bicycling life I was totally against bicycle licensing but now I'm not so sure. I see so many irresponsible bicyclist every day that i wonder not if bicycles will have to have a license but when.

Cheers
Old 03-04-19, 07:00 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,005 Posts
All you need to do is go out and ask people who've had a close call with a bicyclist who had disobeyed traffic laws or rules of the road. Those people, whether pedestrians or motor vehicle operators, and many others are the ones who are demanding that bicyclists be licensed. People want bicyclists to be accountable for their actions just like any other user of the road.
s
Ok, got it.. so now we're at talking about 'close calls' as perceived by the pedestrians / drivers.
Old 03-04-19, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Cooler heads will realize that administering bike registrations will cost well over $10/bike that the fees bring in. IOW, the program is guaranteed to run deeply in the red. The alternative is to charge $50 for every kids' bike in the state. I can tell you from experience how that'll go over. It took our local PD 20 years to recover from that PR black eye...
Old 03-04-19, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok, got it.. so now we're at talking about 'close calls' as perceived by the pedestrians / drivers.
No you didn't get it. I'm talking about drivers and/or pedestrians who've been hit by bicyclists or who have had accidents whilst trying to avoid recklessly riding bicyclists. There have been cases where a pedestrian on the sidewalk was struck and KILLED by a bicyclist. How is the bicyclist to be identified? Like it or not there are a LOT of people who want to see bicycles licensed just like mopeds and/or motorcycles. I can find stats for the UK but not for Canada or the USA.

Cheers
Old 03-05-19, 12:29 AM

Mr. meile Man ...

I have been cyclign on the road for about as long as you have.

I have yet to see a cyclist cause an accident. I am quite sure it has happened .... possibly when a driver tried to avoid a cyclist who shouldn't have been there.

However, you Opinions, aside, you offer no evidence. No actual numbers.

How much damage is a cyclist going to do to ac ar? How often have You seen tweo cars collide because of a cyclist? how often have you seen a car crash because of a cyclist?

As for injuries ... how many people have you seen killed or injured while driving or riding in a car, because a bicyclist caused a wreck?

You had one collisions with a stupid cyclist and now you hate cyclists ... except yourself.

Pretty much everything you are saying here, is just you explaining Your feelings, and has nothing to do with how drivers see cyclists. And I think you know that, but I don't expect you to admit it.

And by your own admission, exactly once in 60 years would bike licensing have paid off .... because you could have reported the guy. But ... you could have reported him anyway. So all this has Zero bearing on the lame piece of legislation we are discussing.

Sorry you had one bad incident. Glad it wasn't really even bad. Glad everyone made it home safely.

In over 50 years of riding on the road I have never been hit by a bicyclist nor seen a cyclist cause an auto accident. And apparently, neither have you. That was my question, pretty much. Thank you for answering.
Old 03-05-19, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
No you didn't get it. ... How is the bicyclist to be identified?
In the rare case of a cyclist hitting and killing a pedestrian, how is a license going to help identify the perp, that couldn't have been accomplished without it?
Old 03-05-19, 12:19 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
In the rare case of a cyclist hitting and killing a pedestrian, how is a license going to help identify the perp, that couldn't have been accomplished without it?

Let's not even try to calculate the likelihood that a cyclist who just hit and killed a pedestrian is going to be able to ride off--the notion that there will be a lot of incidents where someone could get the id number off of something small enough to fit on bike frame is really far-fetched, especially as the bike would likely be moving for it to matter. If the guy is stopped briefly, his picture is going to be a lot easier to get.

People rarely get the license plate numbers off of hit and run drivers, and that's big print.

Old 03-06-19, 03:27 AM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Winter in Halifax Co. NC.
Sent a letter to our local State rep outlining my concerns about this proposed legislation.
It does appear to be on track to die in committee, but one can not be sure.
Continuing to monitor.
Old 03-07-19, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the vein of taking nothing for granted, Asheville on Bikes just published a great list of reasons opposing north carolina bicycle registration.

One of the things pointed out in that list is the propaganda-like spread of news stories that normalized the idea. That's bad. If you get a chance, please link to that article from other websites you might have access to, so that people encounter that great list of flaws, instead of all the useless newscasts about the bill. You can see what I mean if you search for the phrase "north carolina bicycle registration" where all of the content showing makes this ridiculous law seem like it is a possibility. Hopefully it does die in committee.

Here's the list of reasons copied from their article:
  1. Bicycle registration laws don’t work.
  2. These laws lose money because it costs the state money to collect the tax.
  3. Laws like HB 157 are a slap in the face to your constituents.
  4. Bicycle registration will overwhelm the DMV and result in long lines for all.
  5. Bicycle registration and licensing will result in racial discrimination.
  6. It will decrease cycling, if enforced.
  7. The effects of this law are counter to economic development work in the region.
  8. It does not improve our ability to enforce our current road laws or resolve conflicts.
  9. It makes just a much sense as a shoe tax.
  10. Bicycle license laws violate all of the guidelines for “What makes a good law.”
  11. It perpetuates a “pay to play” myth regarding use of our taxes.
  12. Laws requiring licenses should be based on the likelihood of causing harm to others.
  13. This law creates no meaningful revenue that could benefit bicycle riders.
  14. It is foolish to allow a conflict between users on one single rural road to be used as grounds for regulating every cyclist in the state.
  15. Your representative may think proposing a law like this is a harmless way to appease a constituent. It’s not.
Old 03-07-19, 12:55 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 3,323 Posts
reason 9. I love it.
Old 04-08-19, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, Blix Aveny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
My point is merely this: Taxes should at least approximate utility received. That way, no one gets a free ride at another's expense.
Property taxes should pay for stuff related to the property.
The tax on gas should pay for the needs of cars and trucks using the road.
Income tax should pay for stuff that allows us to earn an income.

The tax on gas shouldn't pay for MUPs and bikelanes. Cyclists should. I would make the case that sales tax on the bike doesnt begin to pay for MUPs, bikelanes, police and EMT response for injured cyclists, etc.

If you make the point that property and income and sales tax are coopted by politicians to pay for stuff that has no bearing on anyone's well-being but their own, well, we agree.
It's also the case that the fuel tax comes nowhere near paying for the installation and maintenance of the roads The greatest portion of those costs are taken from general funds at the fed, state, and local levels. And before you jump into the federal fuel tax paying for it, that tax doesn't even cover subsidies paid to the fuel industry to keep the cost of gas down.
https://www.instituteforenergyresear...le-road-costs/
Old 04-08-19, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 1997, 97 Lemond Chambery, Trek Madone 5.2, 98 Schwinn S-10, 2019 Bianchi C-sport 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found this thread minutes ago. I live in NC and have tried to reach Rep Jeffery Elmore by Facebook message about 4 times months ago. I have also tried to call his office number about 3 or 4 times. He has made no effort to contact me or anyone else that I know of about his plan, which he doesn't have, btw.... He is nothing but a another freakin idiot that wants credit! He will be taking photos of himself, handing out helmets to kids that someone else paid for, making himself into a hero for a future run at office. Also: I think that America has it wrong about highway tax. Every single person who benefits from the tax dollars that we working Americans use, should be paying the gas tax. If you receive anything that you don't pay for, social benefits, education, housing, monthly checks, free phones, food debt cards, medicare, etc., you should be pitching in for a better highway system since your income relies on workers tax dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.