Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

600 Mile trip to Florida with 60 lb dog

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 11:17 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Over such flat terrain, I don't really see any disadvantage to the single speed, but it has to be the right gear. The usual advice is to start with something like 72 gear inches and then adjust up or down to suit the rider's preference. But with such a heavy load, I suspect a lower gear will be necessary. If the dog is ever going to run alongside (which mine would definitely do, at least for a mile or two every now and then) then you'll want a higher gear for those stretches.

I agree it's a crazy, but I've done plenty of crazy in my life and it's turned out okay so far.
Old 05-11-15, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Over such flat terrain, I don't really see any disadvantage to the single speed, but it has to be the right gear.
If someone wants to tour on a single speed or even a fixie, more power to them. That said, there still will be some hills and there definitely is the potential for some strong headwinds and hopefully tailwinds, so it isn't like there is no reason most riders would not want some gear choices on this route. If the OP wants to ride a SS that is fine, but it will make the ride more difficult.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-11-15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dogs are running machines, and if your dog will reliably walk at heel it will equally well run at heel behind/alongside a bicycle. Here's mine on a 20 mile run through the city....

One thing that WILL do them in quick however is overheating, while running or while riding.

Also, either way your dog will drink close to the amount of water you will, maybe more if its running.

Mike
Old 05-11-15, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It is just a rough estimate, but when I ride on tour I run the granny and middle most of the time, and when I am at home without the load, I ride the middle and large chainrings. So there is a full chaining difference in running loaded. That would have to be reflectied somehow in the gearing choice for the single speed.

1) Touring on a single speed is OK, but: There certainly are disadvantages: loss of gearing choices;

2) There is a big difference between choosing as a challenge thing to go singlespeed, and making do. I have lived places where people predominantly rode single speed due to era or poverty, and they walk up hills. Personally I would minimally add a rear wheel and shifter.
Old 05-11-15, 08:28 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If the OP is really serious about doing this in just two weeks from now (or any time) then I advise against taking the dog. The dog will need to be in an open yet shaded trailer. That's so the dog has less chance of overheating which can be a life tthreatening thing for any dog in a bicycle trailer. There will not be much breeze from your speed to cool the dog and tthe heat from the asphalt can quickly cause the trailer and dog to get very hot. How do you plan to cool the dog if it does overheat? How much water are you planning to carry for the dog?

Another thing. You might be surprised at how much drag even an empty trailer creats on even a slight upgrade over time or whilst climbing an overpass.

A single speed removes the option of gearing down or up in various conditions.

Are you planning to use panniers to carry some of your gear? Those wil block a lot of breeze from getting to the trailer. How much dog food are you going to take? How long and wide is your trailer?

Please try a shorter trip with your dog prior to embarking on the 600 miles one.

Cheers from Peter
Old 05-21-15, 01:46 AM

Bikes: '16 Motobecane Record CF (current),'13 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno (stolen), '03 Crossroads (stolen), 09' Rockhopper Comp (sold)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you all for your input. I may have underestimated what i have told you what my cycling abilities are.. I do a 40+ round trip commute to work, once I get to work I am a bicycle delivery driver for Jimmy Johns, where I must be very, very fast. I do this 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week.
My dog is a short "furred" Pharaoh hound/Shepard who is 5 years old. She will have a proper dog trailer and I will run her 1 hour+ per day for her exercise and for my break.
Thanks again for reading, and telling me its crazy and that I cant do it makes me want to do it all the more..
Old 05-21-15, 01:56 AM

Bikes: '16 Motobecane Record CF (current),'13 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno (stolen), '03 Crossroads (stolen), 09' Rockhopper Comp (sold)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and Ive decided not to haul any gear, no racks, no bags, just water and two days worth of food at a time. i can wash my ass in a river, I really dont mind being filthy and disgusting.
Old 05-21-15, 02:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive learned to love this single speed. I can hit 29.8 on flat and still climb muddy hills without the hassle of derailleur delay and all that garbage. just pedal, like a bmx when i was a kid.
Old 05-21-15, 02:36 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 103 Posts

Hah! Go for it tunaofthedirt!
PLEEZ let us know after you're done and proved us all wrong...
Old 05-21-15, 08:15 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tunaofthedirt
and Ive decided not to haul any gear, no racks, no bags, just water and two days worth of food at a time. i can wash my ass in a river, I really dont mind being filthy and disgusting.
Stuff to fix a flat?
Old 05-21-15, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Why two days worth of food in a heavily populated area?

Look into taking a backpacking hammock, that'll fit into the minimalist theme, very small, light, and coolest on those muggy nights.
Old 05-21-15, 03:58 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
thank you all for your input. I may have underestimated what i have told you what my cycling abilities are.. I do a 40+ round trip commute to work, once I get to work I am a bicycle delivery driver for Jimmy Johns, where I must be very, very fast. I do this 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week.
My dog is a short "furred" Pharaoh hound/Shepard who is 5 years old. She will have a proper dog trailer and I will run her 1 hour+ per day for her exercise and for my break.
Thanks again for reading, and telling me its crazy and that I cant do it makes me want to do it all the more..

Originally Posted by imi
Hah! Go for it tunaofthedirt!
PLEEZ let us know after you're done and proved us all wrong...

OP comes here looking for advice yet chooses to ignore that advice. Nice.

And it looks like the OP is already starting to modify the original parameters of the tour. Next thing we will hear is the OP decided to leave the doge behind and ride a triple.

I don't know but I think I smell a troll.
Old 05-21-15, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ive learned to love this single speed. I can hit 29.8 on flat and still climb muddy hills without the hassle of derailleur delay and all that garbage. just pedal, like a bmx when i was a kid.
29.8 mph = 160 rpm, doable for 2 seconds.

You've got a lot of good advice here. What your doing may be possible, but it's not going to be enjoyable unless your sole objective is to complete the ride. If you can find enjoyment out of doing it to prove people wrong, well, you may be on to something.

I'm in pretty good shape, race a lot, train, etc and I tried to do multiple 100 mile days, up Oregon coast, I had gears and 40 lbs. Doable, but it was not fun. Get into camp and immediately shower, cook, set up tent go to bed and repeat.

If you assume 15 mph, you looking at 7 hrs ride time

1 hr dog walk
:30 take care of dog
1 hr find food
:30 lunch
:30 cook food
:30 shower cleanup
:30 set up camp
:30 break down camp

Plan for at least 12 hrs of bike related 'work', never mind any setbacks, site seeing, mechanical issues, etc.

I've also realized that being in physically good shape is one thing, being able to ride for hours on end uninterrupted is a skill in itself.
Old 05-21-15, 09:31 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 142 Posts
Please make sure you keep an eye on your dog. She will need a lot of water, far more than usual, since she will be out doors in the south in the summertime. She won't be able to tell you she's going into heat stroke.
Old 05-21-15, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a young man with a 60 pound dog overnight. The dog rode in a trailer and the fellow was on a multispeed, making about 50 miles/day. That all made sense.

Also hosted another guy with a big kitty cat in a carrier on the rack. He'd been on the road for years, with the cat. No 'bum on a bike' either.

Touring cyclists certainly walk to that 'different drummer.'

Last edited by Cyclebum; 05-22-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 05:06 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I don't know but I think I smell a troll.
nah, that's just OP's unwashed donkey.
Old 05-22-15, 06:23 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11035 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
No gear, no racks, no bags. Single speed pulling a dog. 100 mi per day for 6 days straight.

Unless there is some actual deadline, I don't understand the arbitrary parameters you set to complete the ride.

Everyone's definition of fun is different though.
Old 05-22-15, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Giant Seek 3 ('14)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update us if you can once you hit the road! tell us about your adventures along the way
Old 06-01-15, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
In two weeks I am riding 600 miles to Cape Coral Florida on my Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, pulling a dog trailer
Any updates?

Based on the schedule, you should be rolling into Florida shortly.
Old 05-17-16, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update: bike got stolen, went to jail, in Sarasota now, bought a new bike.
Old 05-17-16, 02:10 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 103 Posts

Bike got stolen and they put you in jail! summat wrong with the system!

Cool that you came back with the update. Hope things work out better now
Old 05-17-16, 02:40 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11035 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
So what happened to the dog? Thats the important part!
Old 05-17-16, 03:10 PM

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All of the tours with dogs that I read on crazyguywithabike--granted not all the possible blogs but all involving small dogs--ended in the death at a young age for the dogs, which typically developed some infections.
Old 05-17-16, 03:11 PM
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So what happened to the dog? Thats the important part!
The dog probably bit the thief and tunaofthedirt was arrested. That's about the way the law works now!
Old 05-17-16, 04:08 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I'm intrigued...tell us more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.