Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike lock, what are you using and how do you stow it...

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Bike lock, what are you using and how do you stow it...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Like DC, I carry a small cable lock that I use during quick stops when my bike is close at hand. At work, where I park my bike all day when commuting, I use a heavy-duty Krypton New York U-lock with a 4-foot cable looped through the front wheel. I've either been very lucky or I'm doing something right because I've never had a bike stolen in 40+ years of cycling. I haven't lived in high-theft areas, however.
Old 09-25-15, 11:50 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use an Axa defender with plug in chain, Convenient and secure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
23157_299585.jpg (96.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 09-27-15, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gonna keep an eye on litelock, that's what I'm looking for.....I think
Old 09-28-15, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I have a trunk bag on my commuter and that's what I carry everything in - road morph mini (full size one I'd carry but it's to big to fit in the trunk bag), everything I need for changing a tire including spare tube and patch kit, and my kryptonite bike ulock. It works well. When I get to work or where I'm going I just have 1 bag to carry in and out, not spending time taking stuff on and off my bike.
Old 09-28-15, 05:38 PM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Frame mounted Axa Defender ring lock and an ABUS chain wrapped around the seatpost.

I've had the plug in cable cut and the bike stolen on a previous model so I wanted something more secure. Never going back.

Last edited by JaccoW; 09-28-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Speed 1 | Trek 1500 SLR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I use a heavy-duty Krypton New York U-lock with a 4-foot cable looped through the front wheel.
Basically this. If the seat post has a QR, I'll lash it, too.
Old 10-01-15, 03:05 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you seen this:
https://tigrlock.com/mini/

.9 lbs, titanium loop.
Attached Images
TiGr-mini_900x500.jpg (28.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-01-15, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Have you seen this:
https://tigrlock.com/mini/

.9 lbs, titanium loop.
(ART certified ) 2/5 rating at ART for tigr locks.
Stichting ART |
Tigr lock cut in 5s with bolt cutters in one youtube video. Maybe if you were looking for cable locks then this one would be a better choice. Other than that even the worst ulocks at ART offer as much protection as tigr locks.
They should have at least increased the thickness of the lock in order to maybe defeat (small) bolt cutters.
99$ for 5s protection.... don't know who the real thief is

Last edited by erig007; 10-01-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 02:02 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
It's too bad erig007 is unable to recognize the differences between TiGr models and bolt cutters, because there is more than one of each, and his blanket statements are simply inaccurate and misleading.

I have and use three different TiGr locks, selected depending on bike, lockup needs, and security risk. TiGr locks, being the most secure, light, versatile and easy to carry lock available, are in fact, all I use anymore. I use the short 075 for carrying on my folding bikes and minivelo (because the long is too long fit), a long 075 for family excursions and on the commuter because it offers ability to secure multiple bikes and maximum flexibility for a variety of lockup scenarios, and I use a short 125 for max security needs.

TiGrs mount easily and discreetly on bikes, don't occupy water bottle bosses or otherwise intefere with carrying the bike, and are vastly more secure than coiled cables, which are probably the closest locks to TiGr in terms of flexibility and portability. TiGrs are quiet and securely retained on the bike, don't require a bracket or anything more than a couple of velcro straps to carry, and are highly deterrent simply for the fact of their scarcity and the low likelihood that any given thief will have experience breaking one or be willing to risk attempting it out on the street.

It's true that the TiGr 075 locks can be defeated with 3-foot bolt cutters, angle grinders, and tactical nuclear weapons, but if you consider the odds of a thief rolling up with any of those and selecting your TiGr locked bike over any other more commonly locked bike to be great, then I guess the TiGr lock isn't for you, and your only more secure choice is going to be heavier, more difficult and compromising to carry, and less flexible.

Short TiGr 075 stowed on minivelo top tube

Last edited by chaadster; 10-02-15 at 04:08 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 10-02-15, 11:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
It's too bad erig007 is unable to recognize the differences between TiGr models and bolt cutters, because there is more than one of each, and his blanket statements are simply inaccurate and misleading.
And ART didn't test only one model. Links below. Still 2/5 stars whatever how you look at it.
Stichting ART |
The only reason i would use it is for securing a saddle but at this price range and with this design it will be hard to do even more since there are other solutions that will do it for way less.

Last edited by erig007; 10-02-15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 12:40 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by erig007
And ART didn't test only one model. Links below. Still 2/5 stars whatever how you look at it.
Stichting ART |
The only reason i would use it is for securing a saddle but at this price range and with this design it will be hard to do even more since there are other solutions that will do it for way less.

There is NO solution-- not a single one-- that will deliver an ART 2 Star or higher rating that weighs less than a TiGr 125, nor which can do a full capture (i.e. both wheels and frame) without removing a wheel. Not one, at any price.

Further, there is not a single ART 2 Star or higher solution which mounts to a bike as unobtrusively, securely, and rattle-free.

So when you say "there are other solutions that will do it for way less," I guess I don't understand what you're talking about.
Old 10-03-15, 12:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
There is NO solution-- not a single one-- that will deliver an ART 2 Star or higher rating that weighs less than a TiGr 125, nor which can do a full capture (i.e. both wheels and frame) without removing a wheel. Not one, at any price.

Further, there is not a single ART 2 Star or higher solution which mounts to a bike as unobtrusively, securely, and rattle-free.

So when you say "there are other solutions that will do it for way less," I guess I don't understand what you're talking about.
I was talking about securing the saddle for that there are other cheaper solutions. For everything else i don't find this lock secure enough but that's me .
Old 10-03-15, 08:04 AM
Thread Killer

I was talking about securing the saddle for that there are other cheaper solutions. For everything else i don't find this lock secure enough but that's me .
Well, that's a much more reasonable statement than the inaccurate and misleading one you made earlier, and I shudder to think of the lockup risks you face. Cutting titanium with manual tools is just about impossible, and the Bicycling article above demonstrated that attacking the inox TiGr cyclinder lock with a hand saw took more than 4 mins without success. Maybe with big, honking 42" bolt cutters the wider TiGrs could be nibbled into submission, but again, if a thief standing around doing that, or breaking out motorized tools like an angle grinder are real risks for you, I get that, and in such a scenario, I personally wouldn't be very interested in Getting into trying to make my bike impervious to theft, because we all know that's impossible, and would rather ride something that wouldn't hurt too badly to lose. But, how far you're willing to inconvenience yourself to fight a losing battle is the decision we all have to make when securing our bikes, and thankfully lock makers offers multitudes of options for various proclivities.

Old 10-03-15, 08:38 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Cable locks are only good for keeping someone from hopping on the bike and riding off.

Even thick cables can be cut with hand diagonal cutters, by snipping a few strands at a time. No big bolt cutters are needed.

Here's a youtube video, cutting a Walmart cable lock. The guy is really slow (and just get to the point--why is this 4 minutes long?) Someone actually stealing a bike could do this quickly and quietly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-03-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put the Kryptonite Evo Mini in my back pocket while I ride. Been doing this for a couple years. Super convenient.
Old 10-10-15, 09:01 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a ABUS retractable cable lock (90grams) that fits in the elastic strap under my saddle bag.

It won't stop a thief, but it will keep an honest person honest.

I only use it for a quick nature stop or to run inside to refill my water bottle.

Old 10-11-15, 05:03 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
You may not like my answer

1 (heavy) chain for the frame and front wheel + 1 U lock for the rear wheel + 2 cables for saddle and rear wheel + 1 system that prevent access to the rear wheel nuts + inherent protection of IGH for the rear wheel + other things

short answer:
1 chain : front wheel, frame
1 U lock : rear wheel

The rear rack and fender allow to carry the chain and u lock without much trouble.
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
I like it, actually! That's impressive (chain, lock, 2 cables).
This may be a repeat of a conversation we've already had in a different thread, but for locks that you have to take with you when commuting, I think the two Abus Granit X Plus 54's I use are damn tough to beat, with an acceptable weight penalty.

I use the Mini Abus X Plus 54 for securing my back wheel to my seat tube and the larger Abus X Plus for going through my front wheel, downtube and whatever object I secure it to.

Both of these locks are very easily carried on your bike with Abus's wonderful EaZyKF Bracket & Shackle Clamp For EaZyKF Bracket.

There hasn't yet been an occasion where I have not found somewhere to lock up my bike, so the weight penalty(at least 2 pounds) of a comparably secure chain isn't worth swapping my larger U-Lock for.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Abus Granit 54.jpeg (55.1 KB, 36 views)
Abus U54 Mini.jpg (99.9 KB, 34 views)
abus-eazykf-bracket.jpg (23.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-12-15, 06:28 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I use a combination cable lock when I leave my bike where I can see it or in a protected area. For the street I use a heavy hardened chain + armored padlock. I carry it in a trunk bag.