Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

whats your pre-ride meal?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

whats your pre-ride meal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long or intense ride: Pancakes w/ almonds and bananas or strawberries, eggs and coffee (3 hrs before)
Recovery/short Ride: Nothing or just some fruit and coffee
Old 01-19-13, 07:39 PM
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as I don't stuff myself before a ride or race, I've found it doesn't really matter what I eat. Something like a PB&J sandwich, a bagel, or a clif bar are all fine choices, but I could just as easily get away with something rich and heavy like a cream sauce on pasta and not suffer any ill effects.
Old 01-19-13, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a quick meal I like pb,honey and banana on whole wheat bread. Nice sandwhich and quite filling actually.
Old 01-19-13, 09:35 PM

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILUVUK
As long as I don't stuff myself before a ride or race, I've found it doesn't really matter what I eat. Something like a PB&J sandwich, a bagel, or a clif bar are all fine choices, but I could just as easily get away with something rich and heavy like a cream sauce on pasta and not suffer any ill effects.
Pretty much this, I just eat whatever I'd normally eat for the most part.
Old 01-19-13, 09:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys that eat cereal, i couldn't do it. if i have milk up to 3-4 hours before, it does not sit well with my stomach during the ride...and i love me some milk...i can go through a gallon by myself in 3-4 days, no problem. just not before a ride. a bunch after though. with chocolate
Old 01-19-13, 09:48 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cereal.
Old 01-19-13, 10:07 PM

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan938
you guys that eat cereal, i couldn't do it. if i have milk up to 3-4 hours before, it does not sit well with my stomach during the ride...and i love me some milk...i can go through a gallon by myself in 3-4 days, no problem. just not before a ride. a bunch after though. with chocolate
Almond milk.
I used to eat grape nuts with almond milk before rides/races when I was a poor/lazy college student. I actually like the stuff. I dont eat as many carbs now though.

Now I'll eat 2-3 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal with fruit before races or hard/long weekend rides. I'll eat a banana after work to prepare for my weekday rides, and sometimes I'll have a piece of wheat bread with almond butter as well if it is going to be especially hard.
Old 01-19-13, 10:19 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Short training rides I don't worry about much.

For rides in excess of 2 1/2 hours, Saturday morning worlds with my mates or sportives I go with my normal breakfast.

A cereal combination of 30grams of corn flakes, 50 grams of muesli and 120 grams of vanilla yogurt (approx. 400 calories) or the same equivilent in oatmeal and raisins made with soy milk an hour or more before the ride.

A nature valley bar or banana while waiting for my mates in the parking lot or in the starting chute of an event.

Continue eating as frequently as possible from the beginning of the ride if I desire having anything in the tank beyond 2:45.