Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 10:23 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

it seems that the topic of buying expensive bikes has become the newest popcorn thread of 2015.
What one person believes is expensive can be so different from what the next person believes is expensive that the discussion can be difficult on just that point. I am still curious what people think is normal, expensive or ridiculous. Then, to the OP, do us old guys find the value in buying expensive (whatever that is to "you") if that means you really love it that much more? Enough that it might stay, where 2-3 less expensive bikes might have been cycled through in that same time period.

For me, I see $5,000-10,000 as expensive and above $10,000 as ridiculous (but, I do not care if someone else spends that much).
Old 12-24-15, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I think this group is a little less confrontational ... one of the benefits of geezerdom, I guess.

I think people draw it in different places, based on their skinflintyness, their view of their relevant cost/benefit parameters for their optimization, their luddityness (making up all kinds of words here).

As for me, I'm a skinflinty luddite and my benefit parameters for the optimization problem lean heavily in the direction of verified functionality instead of bling. So FWIW, my lines (for a new bike) are:

500-1000, 1000-2000, 2001-5000, 5000+

All of my bikes, save for one, fall into the low price realm.
If I were completely logical, I'd spend the most that I could afford on the best mattress and bed that I could buy, because I spend more of my life sleeping there than in other activities. Then I'd likely splurge on my desk chairs. Logically I also spend a lot of time and energy on my bike, and therefore I should devote more resources to a higher quality of bike. But I don't do any of these things, so there must be some non-logical reason for it. I'm not really worried about the why of it, but wanted to point out that a purely logical analysis isn't enough to explain these purchasing decisions regardless of where on the price point they reside.
Old 12-24-15, 10:34 AM
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a thought, and I don't have a clue what it means, so don't ask. A Car forum that I am on has this same conversation all the time! Bottom line is I guess is you ride (drive) what you want and I'll ride what I want as long as I can afford it and think it is worth the money!
Old 12-24-15, 11:05 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I think you're really off here. The clear majority of people doing upgrades are doing it for performance. Things like lighter frames, deep aero wheels, electronic shifting, aero clothes and helmets, etc., all give a performance boat, although some is slight. The second reason is because it's their hobby/interest/passion and they enjoy nicer things. The proportion of vein people that do it for self-image is small.
While I agree that performance is the motivator for most, it is a double edged sword. It is anticipated that you are supposed to be faster than the next guy without those performance enhancements so when you are, no big deal and when you are not you wasted your money. Right or wrong.

I honestly don't care what someone rides, more power to them. But I would be lying if I said I never felt some bravado when I go by someone on an expensive bike with my non-aero-brake-downtube-shifting-toe-clip-straps bike. Now it really doesn't matter if that person is recovering from a triple by-pass. And if he smokes me... Oh well.

People are an odd lot.

John
Old 12-24-15, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
Just a thought, and I don't have a clue what it means, so don't ask. A Car forum that I am on has this same conversation all the time! Bottom line is I guess is you ride (drive) what you want and I'll ride what I want as long as I can afford it and think it is worth the money!
Leave common sense out of this! It frightens people these days.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 12-24-15, 11:11 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

it seems that the topic of buying expensive bikes has become the newest popcorn thread of 2015.
Two days, workin' on 8 pages. Not bad. If somebody tries to drag Grant Peterson into this.....

Marc
Old 12-24-15, 11:26 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
If I were completely logical, I'd spend the most that I could afford on the best mattress and bed that I could buy, because I spend more of my life sleeping there than in other activities. Then I'd likely splurge on my desk chairs. Logically I also spend a lot of time and energy on my bike, and therefore I should devote more resources to a higher quality of bike. But I don't do any of these things, so there must be some non-logical reason for it. I'm not really worried about the why of it, but wanted to point out that a purely logical analysis isn't enough to explain these purchasing decisions regardless of where on the price point they reside.
Good point. But my conjecture is that whether they realize they are doing it or not, people choose make their decisions trying to maximize what they obtain. The difference is that they use different optimization parameters when making their decisions.

My wife recently bought a 2 seater sports car. Hard to see out of, hard to get in and out of, and can carry damn near nothing. And who needs 300+ HP to sit in bumper to bumper traffic? One might call that completely illogical.

But those weren't her parameters. Hers were: looks good, goes fast, isn't too expensive, and most importantly ... is red. With those parameters, her decision is entirely logical.

Someone buying an uber bike may be buying it just because they love the look of it. In that case, the decision is still logical ... its just one that weights subjective appearance heavily. Another may buy it because their friends will be impressed (I truly think there are damn few of these). The decision is still logical. Others may buy it because they really want the performance benefit, no matter how insignificant compared to their own limitations.

I guess the point is that you can argue that all of the decisions are subject to logical analysis ... it just depends what parameters you're optimizing. Or in street parlance ... whatever floats your boat.

BTW, she loves the car. In my book, that is all that counts. I'm still driving my 13 year old Subie. But I'm a contrarian luddite.

Old 12-24-15, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
Leave common sense out of this! It frightens people these days.

Marc
Only because it is so uncommon with regards to wants versus needs that it is like seeing a rainbow colored unicorn, given single colored unicorns are more common as common sense...

but, let's not let that impact our fun...
Old 12-24-15, 11:29 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Top story (well, it's an excerpt from a book - slow bicycle news day) on Velonews.com today.

Bike Weight and the Myth of Fast Bikes
Bike weight and the myth of 'fast' bikes - VeloNews.com

I thought it pertinent as the most expensive bikes are usually some of the lightest (but not always).
Old 12-24-15, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Top story (well, it's an excerpt from a book - slow bicycle news day) on Velonews.com today.

Bike Weight and the Myth of Fast Bikes
Bike weight and the myth of 'fast' bikes - VeloNews.com

I thought it pertinent as the most expensive bikes are usually some of the lightest (but not always).
The new Sworks Venge weighs more than my Venge, but it is a faster bike than mine for those with the engine to push it (not me).
Old 12-24-15, 11:53 AM

The bikes above $10,000 do not make sense to me. However, that logic is no more logical than someone else drawing their line at some other point. So, I was searching article on the topic. These two article were interesting to me.

Rise of the Five-Figure Bicycle - WSJ

$10,000 bikes ? What's the point? - BikeRadar

Now, it is time to go for a walk!
Old 12-24-15, 11:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
So can the owner of a $12,000 bike look down upon the owner of a $9000 bike and call it trash**********
Old 12-24-15, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent
So can the owner of a $12,000 bike look down upon the owner of a $9000 bike and call it trash**********
Are you asking us for permission???

Just kidding. Hopefully we save the trash talking for our best friends, those who deserve it!
Old 12-24-15, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395
Good point. But my conjecture is that whether they realize they are doing it or not, people choose make their decisions trying to maximize what they obtain. The difference is that they use different optimization parameters when making their decisions.
You're probably right. We're trying to maximize something when we buy, unless the money is just too insignificant to care about. But that something, and what drives us to value it, isn't necessarily rational. It could be based on sentiment, or fears, or some other emotion. Or something in the context of the social drives. Regardless, even when I think that I've a strictly logical basis for something I buy, a deeper analysis often brings up flaws in the reasoning and I realize that it wasn't the underlying reason after all. Just the justification for it. This is easier to spot in others than in ourselves.

That, in addition to being a skinflint, is why I usually wait a week to indefinite to actually make the purchase of something that I have decided to buy. If the context changes and my reasoning still seems sound, it is less likely to have a transient emotion underlying my wanting whatever it is.
Old 12-24-15, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't read all the comments to this point, but the OP's question reminds me of a recent situation that happened to me and my thoughts on it.

I was at my brother's house for a party and I showed him a picture of a 70's bike I had refurbished. Then he mentioned his bike and asked if I'd like to see it. I said sure and he took me to his garage and showed me his all carbon Trek Madone. Now most of you know that name and model and are aware that it is a very expensive bike, I'm not sure what he paid for it, but they can cost over $10,000 (my brother is a doctor and can well afford whatever kind of bike he wants). Well, at the time, I did not recognize the name and had no idea of its cost. It was very nice, light weight and had very attractive lines to it. I commented that the lines were extremely similar to my $700.00 aluminum Ridely Fenix (and they are), and I said so. He was very gracious and did not mention that his bike could have cost 10x what I paid for mine. I looked up his bike later and discovered that fact. Then I got to wondering, other than a few thousand in higher end components and the added cost of carbon components, what could possibly be different enough to warrant a $10,000 or more price tag? I'm proud that my brother has prospered enough and has the wherewithal to afford such a bike, but how could it be 10x better than my Ridley, which I consider to be a truly fine road bike? As I said, he was gracious about my comment, if I had known the possible cost difference at the time, I never would have pointed out the similarities in shape to my much cheaper bike, but yet, I can see them. I think he did what the man in the article did and bought his dream bike knowing he would not have to blame the bike as a cause for any difficulties encountered in his riding and that an upgrade will not be necessary for a very long time. Whereas me, with my Ridley, well they make them in Carbon too!
Old 12-24-15, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
It's a beautiful late December day here in Southwestern Ontario: dry roads; 8 degrees C; no snow. Unbelievably nice conditions for around here at this time of year.

I'm going to go for a ride on my mid-priced, reasonably light bike that I have set-up just the way I want. I shall neither be embarrassed if I encounter someone on a much more expensive bicycle, nor shall I envy such a person.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 12-24-15, 12:32 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Last year, for his 60th birthday, the wife of a friend of mine bought him a £2000+ bottle of wine. To me that is extremely extravagant (equivalent to 1000 pints of my favourite beer), but he absolutely loved it and to him it was not extravagant at all.

There are no absolutes in defining extravagant, or whether something is "worth it", it depends on the individual's perspective.

Bikes, wine, chocolates, yachts all have the potential to be considered extravagant or good value, but who £is to judge?
Old 12-24-15, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by badger1
It's a beautiful late December day here in Southwestern Ontario: dry roads; 8 degrees C; no snow. Unbelievably nice conditions for around here at this time of year.

I'm going to go for a ride on my mid-priced, reasonably light bike that I have set-up just the way I want. I shall neither be embarrassed if I encounter someone on a much more expensive bicycle, nor shall I envy such a person.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I now have my gear on to walk a couple of hours through the cold and snow up here in Whistler. I am hoping that this discussion that has been interesting does not devolve into an us versus them, but stays on track about how we value things, and how that might change with age. Any bike that gets ridden is a good bike. We happen to be bike lovers, so we might have some extreme thoughts regarding what is or is not worth "it."
Old 12-24-15, 12:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Funnily enough, I did go to some lengths to find a mattress that is close to ideal. It was pricey, but not ruinous. And the same goes for bikes. The top priority for a bike (for performance, as well as pleasure) is that it should fit you perfectly. That doesn't necessarily mean $$$.
Old 12-24-15, 12:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
being 5 decades past having my 1st bike . and appreciating the fine German industrial arts , a 2nd hand Rohloff Bike made sense.
so in 2008 I bought this .. WB Bicycle Gallery: Robert Clark's Koga Miyata WTR
Old 12-24-15, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by chasm54
Funnily enough, I did go to some lengths to find a mattress that is close to ideal. It was pricey, but not ruinous.
I can only say that this is a logical course of action. I don't really know why my mattress isn't a high end one, but my next one probably will be.

And the same goes for bikes. The top priority for a bike (for performance, as well as pleasure) is that it should fit you perfectly. That doesn't necessarily mean $$$.
I devote some effort to correct fit, although comfort to me is mostly a matter of geometry. I don't know that spending more would improve that. Probably would, but I suspect not by a lot.
Old 12-24-15, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Funnily enough, I did go to some lengths to find a mattress that is close to ideal. It was pricey, but not ruinous. And the same goes for bikes. The top priority for a bike (for performance, as well as pleasure) is that it should fit you perfectly. That doesn't necessarily mean $$$.
I recently bought the most expensive set of pillows I ever bought (on sale for $40.00 apiece) to help with numbness in my arm and hand and I'll tell you, they are worth every penny (this is related in that the numbness was affecting my riding too). The numbness is gone now. Also, the vintage bike I had fixed up, an old steel frame bike I had fixed up because of the smooth ride I remembered it having when I rode it years ago, has helped my arthritis in my thumbs, so for just about $300 I have my old bike to ride when I want a nice smooth outing.
Old 12-24-15, 02:59 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
If I were completely logical, I'd spend the most that I could afford on the best mattress and bed that I could buy, because I spend more of my life sleeping there than in other activities.
You would possibly, if you thought that that investment would pay off with vastly improved sleep. However, you already sleep well enough, and likely any reason you might not sleep well has nothing to do with your bed. Investment there would make no sense from any point (Besides, you literally are not conscious of your bed for most of the time you use it.)

Logically I also spend a lot of time and energy on my bike, and therefore I should devote more resources to a higher quality of bike. But I don't do any of these things, so there must be some non-logical reason for it.
Or maybe there is a totally logical reason for it. You don't believe that a $10K bike will make you enjoy riding more, any more than you think a $10K bed will help you sleep better.

I'm not really worried about the why of it, but wanted to point out that a purely logical analysis isn't enough to explain these purchasing decisions regardless of where on the price point they reside.
The idea that there is only one logical way to analyze a situation and only one logical solution is wrong. Also, logic is not the temple of reason some make it out to be. If I want a $10K bike because I think it looks cool, is that logical? In a way, yes; in another way, it is purely emotional. I can logically process my emotional reaction to the bike, and use my reasoning power to determine if I can afford it, how I can afford it, and whether i want to afford it ... but is it a reasonable line of thought to begin with?

I suggest several people give me $10K. I will buy a variety of bikes and submit myself to your analysis to determine why I made the choices I made. Data is king, no? In the interest of science, PM your bank routing numbers. I will take care of the rest.
Old 12-24-15, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
You would possibly, if you thought that that investment would pay off with vastly improved sleep. However, you already sleep well enough, and likely any reason you might not sleep well has nothing to do with your bed. Investment there would make no sense from any point (Besides, you literally are not conscious of your bed for most of the time you use it.)

Or maybe there is a totally logical reason for it. You don't believe that a $10K bike will make you enjoy riding more, any more than you think a $10K bed will help you sleep better.

The idea that there is only one logical way to analyze a situation and only one logical solution is wrong. Also, logic is not the temple of reason some make it out to be. If I want a $10K bike because I think it looks cool, is that logical? In a way, yes; in another way, it is purely emotional. I can logically process my emotional reaction to the bike, and use my reasoning power to determine if I can afford it, how I can afford it, and whether i want to afford it ... but is it a reasonable line of thought to begin with?
Except that I know that the $10K bed would give me a better night's sleep, and I know that a $10K bike will ride better. I'm not trying to be contentious, but do you really think that I'd overlook that possibility?

I suggest several people give me $10K. I will buy a variety of bikes and submit myself to your analysis to determine why I made the choices I made. Data is king, no? In the interest of science, PM your bank routing numbers. I will take care of the rest.
If you don't accept that you sometimes do things for reasons other than you believe then I'm not sure that the data, being based in part on subjective evaluations, would be very useful for this particular question.

The idea that there is only one logical way to analyze a situation and only one logical solution is wrong. Also, logic is not the temple of reason some make it out to be. If I want a $10K bike because I think it looks cool, is that logical?
Reasoning which leads to a contradiction is always wrong. The reasons people, including myself, give for a particular purchase often lead to contradictions. While there may be more than one logical way to analyze it, this way is sufficient to prove in those situations that it wasn't logical.

You can apply reason (including, but not limited to, logic) to emotions or anything else. That's not the same thing has having logical or rational reasons. Applying that standard would be silly, if you think about it. It would mean, for example, that the dumbest self-destructive behavior is logical simply because you can logically analyze the destructive impulse.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-24-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 03:17 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
This is a very common attitude. The implication is that people who aren't great cyclists shouldn't have great bikes. They don't deserve it, is that it? Or at least, the bikes are wasted on them?

I can't see it, myself. People are entitled to spend their money as they choose. I don't expect people with expensive cars to have the skills of F1 drivers, I don't expect people with the latest Cervelo to climb like Pantani. And I certainly don't expect them to put off buying their Cervelo until they can.

It's funny how you came to this and it was as far from what I meant as It could possibly be..

I guess I should keep It simple,,, "It ain't the bike, It's the engine"

If a first time rookie rider starts out on a great bike more power to him,,must be nice to have that kinda money, I have no problem with that at all, no jealousy, nothing.
I rented a 5K bike once, It was 25 pounds,,mine Is 30,,I could barely notice a difference in over all bike performance in the woods,,,
I'll stick with 2 k bikes, they serve me just fine...

Again Hi End bikes make mid range and lower end bikes better by leaps and bounds,,It's called trickle down.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.