Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good, Well Vented Helmets with Insect Nets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good, Well Vented Helmets with Insect Nets

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The Ionis insert is intended for cool weather use, and though it is porous, it does reduce airflow. I haven't yet figured out what to do with the one that came with mine cuz if it's cool, I wear a beanie under the helmet, and if it's cold, I add a helmet cover.
Old 04-29-11, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone--great info. In the end, I ordered the Kask K.50 Evo. Not the top of the line (the top one, the Vertigo, was the most amazing fitting helmet I've ever tried in my life), but the third one down. Hoping it fits similarly.

The only problem is I'll have to wait for the release of the insect net, which hopefully is soon.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 04-29-11, 01:34 PM

Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you sweat a lot, you'd be better off with a Headsweats or similar beanie than a liner anyway. I used to have terrible problems with sweat in my eyes while riding and those days are over. If you try one, you may decide you don't need to wait for the insect net.

Enjoy your new helmet.
Old 04-29-11, 03:41 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Uvex Boss Race, I like it. It seems cool enough, and the closure system and adjustment knob are better than other systems I have.
Old 04-29-11, 11:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry if this is considered thread jacking but I figured its kind of on topic. If theres a large bee hive in a tree on a local bike path is there somebody you can call to have it removed? I've also had the issue of running into a swarm a couple times
Old 04-30-11, 12:33 AM
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by visionz001
sorry if this is considered thread jacking but I figured its kind of on topic. If theres a large bee hive in a tree on a local bike path is there somebody you can call to have it removed? I've also had the issue of running into a swarm a couple times
Winnie the Pooh!
Old 04-30-11, 05:22 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Your helmet is only one way for insects to get at you. They can still get caught in your jersey and on steep extended climbs, deer flies and the like will just land on you and sting.
Old 04-30-11, 06:23 AM
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call your county ag office, they will get you in contact with a local beekeeper who will normally jump at the chance to capture a swarm. However if it has already moved into the tree it becomes considerably more difficult and typically requires the killing of the hive which it frowned upon. But again a good place to start is the agricultural office.
Old 04-30-11, 07:02 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
This reminds me of something someone a few miles from my house did to keep out squatters -- they surrounded their empty house with 40 beehives. Riding by there practically sends you through a cloud of bees, but they are not aggressive. Local farmers have beehives all over the place to pollinate their crops so there's no way to avoid frequent contact with them and occasional stings.
Old 04-30-11, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Joemess
Call your county ag office, they will get you in contact with a local beekeeper who will normally jump at the chance to capture a swarm. However if it has already moved into the tree it becomes considerably more difficult and typically requires the killing of the hive which it frowned upon. But again a good place to start is the agricultural office.
In NJ, for residential removals, you have to pay a bee guy a lot of money to remove swarms (I know). Contact the municipal entity responsible for the path, and let them know they have a liability. Maybe they will send someone out. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 04-30-11, 01:07 PM
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
In NJ, for residential removals, you have to pay a bee guy a lot of money to remove swarms (I know). Contact the municipal entity responsible for the path, and let them know they have a liability. Maybe they will send someone out. Don't get your hopes up.
Man, I have probrably removed 30 or so swarms over the years and I have never charged a cent. Ifbit is an established hive living in the wall of your house it's another matter entirely
Old 05-09-11, 03:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I don't care about the bees and other big insects. While we definitely have them here in the state of Washington, it's those puny gnats and mosquitoes that fly into your nose, eyes, and mouth that I'm more concerned about. Many of the dedicated biking trails skirmish along waterways and I'm tired of sh*t flying into my nasal passages, lungs, and sticking in my eye goo. In short, I'm building my own because most these high priced helmets (as they pertain to netting) are for the big bugs.
Old 05-09-11, 07:04 PM
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a halo bandanna/skull cap that works great for wicking away sweat and keeping bugs out of hair. the gutter across the brow keeps most all sweat from dripping forward and having the wet cloth beneath the vents just help provide some cooling.

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 05-09-11, 07:57 PM

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the LAS Istrion. The netting is decent.
Old 05-08-15, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my cheap, dollarstore mosquito hat that I use while biking. It won't win me any fashion awards and I get weird looks all the time but I just tell myself the other people are jealous. LOL! As long as it keeps me from the near-death experience I had last year when a bug flew straight down my throat and into a horrible choking fit, who cares how it looks??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mosquito.jpg (53.1 KB, 11 views)