Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 06:54 AM

Bikes: 1991 Miyata Nine 14, 2009 Scott Sub 20 - Converted to Mid Drive E-Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
I don’t think it’s too small. Looking at seat angles on both bike It seems as if there’s a fit issue, both seats are probably too high.

ive never been a fan of trying to make a bike into something it isn’t. 916 has full racing geometry..... you can do whatever to the bars/stem but at the end of the day it’s still a racing bike.

tip: set your seat heat
1. Level seat. Place a straight on seat and level it
2. Take your shoes off
3. Hop on bike and hold yourself up
4. Place bare heel on center of pedal and pedal backwards
raise/lower seat until you heel just barely makes contact with pedal.
5. Do NOT rock your hips.
6. With shoes on and ball of foot over center of pedal you’ll proper knee bend. Or it’ll be very very close.
Thanks I'll give that a try. Yes, I may have my seats set too high. Guess I probably feel more comfortable that way. I understand it's a race bike but it just seems like way too much of my upper body is being supposed by my arms.
​​​​​​
Old 06-03-20, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The higher your seat the more you’ll need to lean forward.
Old 06-03-20, 07:19 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
The higher your seat the more you’ll need to lean forward.
Makes sense. I'll try riding with the seat lower and make sure it's level. . Thanks.
Old 06-03-20, 07:37 AM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
You say you ordered a taller stem but you didn't say which make and model. I might not be taller so don't install it unless you are sure so you can return it. What did you Order?
Old 06-03-20, 07:47 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
You say you ordered a taller stem but you didn't say which make and model. I might not be taller so don't install it unless you are sure so you can return it. What did you Order?
I ordered Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem: 90mm; 72 Deg 225mm Quill; 1"; 26.0. Should be plenty tall. I think a 180mm would also be fine. I want the stem to be taller but I think having it too tall makes a bike look kind of odd. Also I'm thinking about going with a 80mm as recent poster suggested.

Problem is I was hoping to try the new stem with my current bars to see how that works. My current bars are 25.4mm so a 26mm stem would need a shim which I rather not use. If I order a 25.4mm stem I may be limited on the bars I can use if the original needs to be changed. So IDK.........I'll probably end up ordering a shim or both a stem and bars.

I'm also considering the Soma Sutro Quill Stem, (26.0) 80mm - Black. At 180mm it should be tall enough. I also like that it is black.
https://www.modernbike.com/soma-sutr...0-80mm---black

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-03-20 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 09:24 AM

I have used some flashing from the hardware store for a 25.4-26.0 shim and it works fine. At least to try out fit and then ...
Old 06-03-20, 10:42 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks to encouragement from members of this forum I am really determined to keep and ride this bike. So I don't mind spending a bit on improvements. I really like the black stem that is currently on the bike so I'm thinking of going with this 90mm beauty. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitto-Dynam...gAAOSwlYlctiUU The specs show that it is 150mm tall so that should give me all the height I may want.

While I wait for delivery I'm considering bars and a Nitto Noodle or a Nitto Randonneur in a 42cm or 44cm width. The current bars are 40cm.. Those bars should help shorted my reach without being extremely short like the Soma Highway One. I also think using Nitto parts will maintain the Japanese aesthetic of the bike.

Just read this under the Dynamic stem specs. I don't think those two Nitto bars are considered anatomic. Anyone install a Nitto Noodle bar into a Nitto stem? Any issues?
 ※Because of clamp shape
  anatomic type bent bars
  cannot be installed

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-03-20 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 10:30 PM

A Dynamic is not a tall stem.
Old 06-04-20, 06:45 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
A Dynamic is not a tall stem.
I understand. The Dynamic is taller with a shorter extension than the stem that I currently have on the bike. I'm also considering shorter reach handlebars so with that combination I may get the comfort I need without going to a 225mm Nitto Technomic.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-04-20 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 02:26 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdytoroll
Thanks to encouragement from members of this forum I am really determined to keep and ride this bike. So I don't mind spending a bit on improvements. I really like the black stem that is currently on the bike so I'm thinking of going with this 90mm beauty. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitto-Dynam...gAAOSwlYlctiUU The specs show that it is 150mm tall so that should give me all the height I may want.

While I wait for delivery I'm considering bars and a Nitto Noodle or a Nitto Randonneur in a 42cm or 44cm width. The current bars are 40cm.. Those bars should help shorted my reach without being extremely short like the Soma Highway One. I also think using Nitto parts will maintain the Japanese aesthetic of the bike.

Just read this under the Dynamic stem specs. I don't think those two Nitto bars are considered anatomic. Anyone install a Nitto Noodle bar into a Nitto stem? Any issues?
 ※Because of clamp shape
  anatomic type bent bars
  cannot be installed
I use Nitto Noodle bars with Nitto Technomic stems - no problems whatsoever. Same for Soma Highway One bars. Noodles are not an “anatomic” bar. The problems arise when either: the stem clamp is long (often found on steel stems) without a shortened section, and/or the bar has tight bends.

BTW, it’s usually much easier to get the bar into the stem when both are off the bike.
Old 06-04-20, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I understand. The Dynamic is taller with a shorter extension than the stem that I currently have on the bike. I'm also considering shorter reach handlebars so with that combination I may get the comfort I need without going to a 225mm Nitto Technomic.
90mm is a gateway drug to shorter stems, in my experience.
If the Technomic is too tall for you, get a Deluxe in 70-80mm (190mm quill). You won't regret it (I think!). Same beautiful finish as the Nitto Pearl. Here's the link again:
https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-ntc-...ng_870/product
Also, +1 on the Soma Highway One offering drops you can actually use
Old 06-04-20, 02:39 PM

ps. I'm in the "masters" category with weekly rides in the 3-hour range, so neck comfort is paramount
Old 06-04-20, 04:18 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate all the suggestions and helpful advice.. After way more research and deliberation than I expected I ordered the Nitto Noodle 177 Handlebar in 44cm and Nitto Technomic stem in 90mm. Hopefully I will find this setup more comfortable because I really want to keep this bike and actually enjoy riding it. My goal is a comfortable ride while maintaining the look of a classsic 90's Japanese road bike. .

If I find an improvement in comfort with the new stem/handlebar I will be ready for suggestions for a replacement saddle.

Edit: The Pearl and Deluxe are great looking stems but I'm trying to save some funds for other upgrades.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-04-20 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 07:40 PM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
I appreciate all the suggestions and helpful advice.. After way more research and deliberation than I expected I ordered the Nitto Noodle 177 Handlebar in 44cm and Nitto Technomic stem in 90mm. Hopefully I will find this setup more comfortable because I really want to keep this bike and actually enjoy riding it. My goal is a comfortable ride while maintaining the look of a classsic 90's Japanese road bike. .

If I find an improvement in comfort with the new stem/handlebar I will be ready for suggestions for a replacement saddle.

Edit: The Pearl and Deluxe are great looking stems but I'm trying to save some funds for other upgrades.
You'll love the combination.
Old 06-04-20, 08:36 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Going from the long stem to a 9cm stem reach is a huge change right there, and I do not recommend going shorter as the racing geometry mentioned by Miamijim and others will only become more twitchy with a shorter stem reach.

And I don't recommend short/shallow bars, because they only reduce the freedom to alter your reach length by change of hand position.

I think that the 9cm Dynamic stem was a good choice here. My understanding is that runs a bit long due to the near-zero degree angle, which should be good because of such a huge change in stem reach already.
One can perhaps use beer-can shim from a large-diameter beer can (which is thicker stock). Be sure to sand away all of the slippery polymer coating from both sides of the can stock! A steel Nitto shim will be better, more precisely sized.

My older Nine-Twelve from 1984 is the same size as yours and is similarly aggressive in it's geometry. I'm a long-legged 5'9" so am relatively short of Torso, giving my bike an aggressive fit feel using the original 10cm stem (though a previous owner did change the bars). I think your bike came the factory with a 10cm stem.

Old 06-04-20, 08:58 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I measured correctly, center to center, the original stem is 120 mm. Seems like I have had recommendations all over the place. Some of them seemed a bit drastic. I figured the 90mm stem was a good compromise. I also have Nitto Noodle bars ordered. They are 26mm, just like the new stem, so no issues with shims. I think the Noodles reach Is listed at 110mm not quite as drastic a change as the Soma Highway One at 95mm. I'm hoping the combination of shorter stem and shorter reach bars improves the comfort and the look of the bike.

Your Nine 12 looks good, pretty much what I'm going for. What kind of saddle is that? I'm thinking a Turbo style or a Brooks would be my next upgrade. Would a Brooks saddle be true to the 1990's Japanese Road Bike vibe?

Edit: Just noticed that the original saddle was a Sella Italia Turbo.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-04-20 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 11:57 AM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I don't think a Brooks and a '90s road bike are the most natural choice for a pairing, but there are always exceptions depending on color scheme and how you build it. Or for the simple reason that they are comfortable. I have personally not found Turbo saddles comfortable, though they look cool. You could try a Brooks Cambium saddle as a nice bridge from the B17 to modern road saddles--that would look smart on the 914. Ultimately it'll be up to you and your goals for the bike and what you find comfortable.

I understand you've been getting a million bar and stem combo suggestions, but I think the combo you've chosen is a great one. The "pro look" (as the 914 was right below all the pro-level models) is always long and low, which ends up being not ideal for many of us non-pro riders. That 120mm stem, the length I more or less guessed it was, was too long for the size of bike. They'd put a 120mm stem on a 63cm bike (size that I ride), even if I don't ever run stuff that long.

Anyway, to those or anyone concerned this is going to make his bike twitchy or handle crazily, allow me to confidently say it will not. Having tried many stem/bar/brake lever reach combinations, I have a general rule of thumb when it comes to total cockpit length and longitudinal relationship with the front axle. This works across all frame sizes, and is for a drop bar application. An individual bike's geometry and rider's setup may widen or narrow the 'ideal window' of course, but generally:

1) The lever/STI/Ergo hood notch/kick-up point ahead of the front axle (if you drop a plumb bob from their position) returns, in general, slower and more sluggish tiller-like steering, with out-of-saddle (on the brake hoods) action wobbly or compromised
2) The hood notch/kick-up point behind the axle returns lighter, quicker steering (though not twitchy) with lovely out-of-saddle (on the brake hoods) action
3) The ideal max forward notch/kick-up position I've found is one that is on that matches the axle
4) My own ideal, found across many bikes, is a notch/kick-up point 1-2cm behind the front axle

This notch/kick-up point is obtained by, well, just looking at it, but also using a ruler to span the gap between both hoods' notch points and then dropping a string or line or tape measure or whatever to get that notch point's longitudinal position relative to the front axle. You could also find a door frame or corner of a wall, lean the bike against it (as vertically as possible), aligning the brake hood notch point with it (keep the steering straight!), and seeing where the front axle is relative to the door frame or corner of the wall. A bit simple, but a quick and easy gauge to see where it stands.
@dddd and @Rdytoroll I did some Photoshopping to illustrate my points.

The 914's current notch point/position is considerably ahead of the front axle. I think the 90mm stem and Noodle bars, with the same lever angle, will put the notch point essentially right over the axle.

dddd's brake lever hood notch point is actually just behind the front axle. I would consider this an ideal setup for handling and manners both in and out of saddle.

You all can let me know where I am on a scale of 1 to Crazy Old Maurice.
Old 06-05-20, 12:23 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a clear explanation. Now I'm really looking forward to changing out the stem and bars. Can't get here soon enough. As far as saddles go that Brooks Cambium C17 looks sharp. I'm also considering the Sella Italia Flite1990. I think either one of those would work well with this bike.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-05-20 at 12:26 PM.
Likes For Rdytoroll:
Old 06-05-20, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
You all can let me know where I am on a scale of 1 to Crazy Old Maurice.
Crazy or not, this seems like a great approach...better than my "try a stem and hope for the best" method.
Old 06-05-20, 02:12 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is it always this difficult to find the bicycle parts you want in the size you want? Or is it because of supply chain issues due to the pandemic? I feel like I may have chosen a bad time to start modifying a bike.

Being new to this I just realized that the Nitto Dynamic stem looks a lot better than the Technomic that I ordered. The Dynamic has enough height for my needs.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-05-20 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:35 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Most bikes I've had usually handled great using the stock stem length, and a cm in either direction wouldn't change that.

I used a modern, inexpensive WTB Speed-V saddle and it was great on today's 38-mile ride.

I forget what my frame's angles are, but recall they were well into the racing range so at least 73 degrees both ST and HT.
Old 06-05-20, 05:28 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Between changing the stem length and height, which I can't do with my old stem, and installing shorter reach bars I expect the change will equal more than a cm or two. I understand that I can put any comfortable saddle on this bike but where is the fun in that.
Old 06-16-20, 11:57 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The old stem slides into the steerer easily. The new Nitto Technomic stem seems larger and does not want to slide into the steerer. I'm trying to avoid having to bang it in. I understand the bar diameter can be 25.4 or 26mm. But it is the other end of the stem I'm having issues with. Any advice is appreciated
Old 06-16-20, 12:06 PM

What is the quill diameter? Should be 22.2mm

You may just need to clean out and add a bit of grease to the inside of the steerer column and around the wedge-shaped nut

Last edited by ctak; 06-16-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 12:13 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can't read the old one and I don't have a micrometer. I thought they were all one inch steerers so the quill diameter would be the same. Looks like I may be wrong. Many suggested this Nitto stem for my Miyato 914.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.