Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Take Your Helmet Off, Why Don't You?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Take Your Helmet Off, Why Don't You?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 03:56 PM
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Of all the strange behavior I see from people, it never occurred to me to become obsessed over why a cyclist left his helmet on.
Old 11-14-16, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
The period from the mid-1960s to the mid-2010s was the only period in recent history in which people in the USA went around bare-headed. The permanent helmet is the beginning of the swing back to normalcy.
Old 11-14-16, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I often leave my helmet on, mostly because I don't realize that I am wearing one. I am also glad that other people leave their helmet on, otherwise...... I might not recognize them!

Whenever I enter a building, the helmet comes off but if I stay outdoors, my thoughts are usually not about the helmet.
Old 11-14-16, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wonder the same thing about people who wear cowboy hats in a restaurant- or anywhere without a horse in sight.
Old 11-14-16, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wonder the same thing about people who wear cowboy hats in a restaurant- or anywhere without a horse in sight.
Same goes for those who insist on wearing their baseball cap everywhere, including restaurants, etc. Perhaps balding??
Old 11-14-16, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If it's on your head, people can't use it as an ashtray.
Old 11-14-16, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm with ya on this one INDYFABZ! I see it the most in the grocery store. They will be walking around for 20+ minutes and have their helmet on the whole time they are shopping. I wouldn't say it bothers me, but I have definitely noticed, and wondered what was going on.

The people replying that they forget that their helmet is on, kinda weird me out too. How is that possible? I have a very comfy helmet, that is well ventilated when riding, but I am always aware of it.

For me, the biggest reason to take my helmet off when stopped somewhere, is the chance for some sweat to evaporate. Any chances I can get to let the pads of the helmet dry, and my head to dry, are welcomed.

Bruce
Old 11-14-16, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
depending upon the duration of the stop, I leave it on or take it off.

don't have rigid thresholds for the amount of time involved tho.

but, now that I know it irritates some people to leave it on, will probably not take it off quite as quickly.

regardless, it's not as dork as leaving one's turn signal on for half an hour...
Old 11-14-16, 04:46 PM
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Same goes for those who insist on wearing their baseball cap everywhere, including restaurants, etc. Perhaps balding??
I wear a ball cap everywhere. If I didn't feel comfortable wearing my cap into a place, I wouldn't feel comfortable there anyway. I am far from bald and have a ponytail down to the middle of my back.
Old 11-14-16, 05:12 PM

Bikes: '16 Specialized Tarmac Comp (5800), '10 Spec Roubaix Expert (5800), '04 Specialized Roubaix Pro (3500)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave mine on during my rests because I don't want to put on a cold, wet, gross feeling helmet back on when my head's still hot.
Old 11-14-16, 09:36 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I'm far from balding, and I wear my hat most places, albeit with the bill turned backwards inside. Take a look at the avatar if you need convincing on the hair. It is an article of clothing. Would you expect me to take my shirt off when I enter a building?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Jeezus Louizus. I am not talking about about a few minutes. I kinda sorta thought I made that clear in my OP. I am talking about the Fred at the private party walking around eating and drinking and socializing with fellow cyclists with his helmet on in a place where he felt secure enough to leave his bike unwatched and unlocked. I am talking about the guy who's clearly not going anywhere for well over and hour and can easily keep track of his helmet. BTW...I forgot to mention that he complained about how hit out it was when we rolled up to the grocery store. WTH? Uh...Why have you been sitting there (in the shade) for 1.5 hrs. with your darn helmet on if you are so darn hot?
Well, ask him then? Don't think anyone else can speak as to why he keeps his helmet on.
Old 11-14-16, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I very, very rarely take my helmet off .... the shelf.
Old 11-14-16, 11:47 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Jeezus Louizus. I am not talking about about a few minutes. I kinda sorta thought I made that clear in my OP. I am talking about the Fred at the private party walking around eating and drinking and socializing with fellow cyclists with his helmet on in a place where he felt secure enough to leave his bike unwatched and unlocked. I am talking about the guy who's clearly not going anywhere for well over and hour and can easily keep track of his helmet. BTW...I forgot to mention that he complained about how hit out it was when we rolled up to the grocery store. WTH? Uh...Why have you been sitting there (in the shade) for 1.5 hrs. with your darn helmet on if you are so darn hot?

"Freds" are inferior, right? I just want to be sure about that.
Old 11-14-16, 11:57 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
A good reason to wear the helmet while not riding. (Also applies to cowboy hats and baseball caps. And cycling caps.) For the visor in bright sunlight. For some of us who have to wear glasses, often a big help. Also good in the rain. In other words, anytime outdoors when it is not cloudy and dry.

Ben
Old 11-15-16, 01:27 AM
Decafflete

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It used to be considered rude for men to wear hats indoors. No idea why.
Old 11-15-16, 03:33 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In the sun my white helmet reflects more light than my hair, which is still fairly dark despite the gray. With a bandanna between the head and helmet and the vents it's actually pretty comfortable.

But I usually do take it off during most stops. Besides looking dorky, some folks think my front helmet light is a video camera and it makes them uncomfortable. And occasionally I do wear a camera on the helmet. I try to be sure it's turned off when just chatting with folks off the bike, but I'll usually remove the helmet so folks don't feel self conscious or like they're being surreptitiously photographed.
Old 11-15-16, 03:59 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
never been in the situation but if I were shopping ... where would I put the helmet? I could hang it from the cart if I used one, but usually I take a plastic basket, which would be more than one-third full (and thus one-third useless) if I put my helmet in it ... not to mention not wanting to get stale sweat and hair oil on my fruits and veggies.
Old 11-15-16, 04:08 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Some people have to "look the part".
Reminds me of an EMT that wore his uniform almost everywhere.
Many people define themselves based solely on appearances.
Old 11-15-16, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
First World problem.
Old 11-15-16, 09:17 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
"Freds" are inferior, right? I just want to be sure about that.
Better threads than this have been closed.

-Tim-
Old 11-15-16, 10:43 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A common theme I'm noticing in this thread is one of the "stinky, sweaty helmet." Is this really a thing? My helmet has three little padded fabric bits in it, which are removable and get washed once a week. The rest of the helmet is hard foam and plastic. Even if I'm really sweating on a ride, it's not like the helmet is filling up with sweat like a bucket. My helmet has no sweat-induced odor whatsoever. I clean the outside of it with automotive quick detailer, so it generally smells like that.

Is it a hair thing? I started shaving my head long before I got into cycling, so I have no basis for comparison. Do folks with full heads of hair stink up their helmets? Inquiring minds, and all.
Old 11-15-16, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I leave mine on in the grocery store because otherwise I'm carrying bags+helmet+phone w/ grocery list. I rarely take a cart, just grab a hand basket. I unclip the strap and just leave it on. On the rare occasion I take a cart, it goes in the top pop out section. I would never leave it hanging on the bike because some jerk would do something to it. Same reason I remove my bike computer, phone mount and lights. I also leave it on if I am outside because it has a nice brim which blocks the sun. I always remove it for restaurants, though. Fortunately my favorite pizza place has a "ride up" window so I don't have to go inside for a slice but I do hang it on the bars while I eat.
Old 11-15-16, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I see some people who put on their left sock before they put the right one on. Why is this? Why?
Old 11-15-16, 02:00 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
A common theme I'm noticing in this thread is one of the "stinky, sweaty helmet." Is this really a thing? My helmet has three little padded fabric bits in it, which are removable and get washed once a week. The rest of the helmet is hard foam and plastic. Even if I'm really sweating on a ride, it's not like the helmet is filling up with sweat like a bucket. My helmet has no sweat-induced odor whatsoever. I clean the outside of it with automotive quick detailer, so it generally smells like that.

Is it a hair thing? I started shaving my head long before I got into cycling, so I have no basis for comparison. Do folks with full heads of hair stink up their helmets? Inquiring minds, and all.
For mine it is the strap at the temple. The padded fabric bits I can remove and wash. The strap can't be removed and that is what stinks. I try to hold it between my fingers with the weight of the helmet doing what it can to prevent me having a good grip inbetween my fingers and use laundry soap with a toothbrush to clean the strap. Mine is just a $20 Bell, but I've looked at the expensive stuff and none I've seen have removable straps for easy cleaning.

Some people don't sweat a lot. I sweat when it's 35° out and I'm riding. I have bucketloads coming off my head down the sides of my face getting soaked up into the straps.
Old 11-15-16, 03:51 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
For mine it is the strap at the temple. The padded fabric bits I can remove and wash. The strap can't be removed and that is what stinks. I try to hold it between my fingers with the weight of the helmet doing what it can to prevent me having a good grip inbetween my fingers and use laundry soap with a toothbrush to clean the strap. Mine is just a $20 Bell, but I've looked at the expensive stuff and none I've seen have removable straps for easy cleaning.

Some people don't sweat a lot. I sweat when it's 35° out and I'm riding. I have bucketloads coming off my head down the sides of my face getting soaked up into the straps.
I place hot water with a little soap of choice in the restroom sink. I place my helmet over the sink and let the straps hang down in the water to soak. Later I rinse them off and wring the dirt/sweat out of the straps. Works pretty good and the soap leaves a decent smell on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.