Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

silly design challenge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

silly design challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 09:01 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
First of all can we see more of that Medici?

Second it reall needs to turned back into a “10Speed”.

as to the shifter ringing a bell….. I think you need a rotary style bell that chimes as you push the putt on/lever and again when you release it.

As far as turning back to a 10 speed, if you want to do that and and some "quirkiness" , how about make right shifter front derailleur and left rear?
Old 08-11-23, 08:54 PM
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 334 Posts
Alright, I have ideas. But before I can spill the beans, I’ve a few questions about your spec and design constraints:

1– are you amenable to more cable stops being clamped onto that lovely paint job?
2– must the bell stay on the stem?
3– is that front brake nutted or recessed mount? (looks recessed but want to confirm)
4– how much clearance is available between tyre and fork crown?
Old 09-02-23, 10:34 AM
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 122 Posts
Old 09-02-23, 01:03 PM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 452 Posts
Use a 3D printer to make a shift lever replica which just slips over the existing bell ringer and latches on.

It will poke up more than the one you have and will be easier to actuate.

You don't have to change anything and the bell will ring as well as ever. If it gets lost, stolen or breaks, print another.
Old 09-02-23, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Why half step?

Old 09-02-23, 04:25 PM
bironi

Because sometimes it's an overstep.
Old 09-02-23, 04:27 PM
bironi

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Use a 3D printer to make a shift lever replica which just slips over the existing bell ringer and latches on.

It will poke up more than the one you have and will be easier to actuate.

You don't have to change anything and the bell will ring as well as ever. If it gets lost, stolen or breaks, print another.
Not a bad idea, but I already paid 50 bucks for the nostalgia.
Old 09-02-23, 04:49 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 183 Posts
Thinking of handicapped painters who have headgear to hold the brush, why not attach a drumstick to your helmet? The Nod-bell (patent, not pending even a little).
Old 09-02-23, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 1,596 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
boy, when I was still working, I bike commuted and dealt with a few rude motorists (but have to give credit to many folks who were very considerate and respectful!)
In my work in the electronics part of the Big Yellow Machine company, one of the folks handled all of the horns, alarms, etc. that were used on the machines.
He had some air horns on his desk, and I was quite tempted to ask for some used parts for my bike!
The thought of getting buzzed by some jerk and then hitting the button of a big air horn was quite enticing!
However, once I started running the numbers for the size of the battery required to power the horn, I decided that it wasn't really worth it.

If someone does want to play around with an amplifier and speaker, there are mp3 files of train horns available on the web.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-02-23, 06:55 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4853 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I like the quirkiness and going against the C&V ethos.

Instead of rigging the bell to the shifters, I'd rig up some Roman candle launch tubes and sparker from Bic lighters to the shifter levers as ignition sources. Plenty of times I'd be awful tempted to retaliate against hostile drivers with some fireworks.
I've wanted a small bazooka, perhaps inside the top tube, with a heat seeking rocket that would fly up the offending tailpipe, whereupon a very heat resistant balloon would inflate, stalling the car. In about 10-15 minutes, it would deflate, car would start normally and driver would drive off clueless.

Of course, this doesn't answer the OP's question. I think the shifters look just right as is on the DT so I'd go a different route. Maybe a silver spoon (or would lowly SS sound better?) I'd want the pivot on the stem under 6 o'clock on the bell. Striking at 10 o'clock. So you brush your hand back beside the top of the stem to pull back the lever to strike.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-02-23, 11:13 PM
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
boy, when I was still working, I bike commuted and dealt with a few rude motorists (but have to give credit to many folks who were very considerate and respectful!)
In my work in the electronics part of the Big Yellow Machine company, one of the folks handled all of the horns, alarms, etc. that were used on the machines.
He had some air horns on his desk, and I was quite tempted to ask for some used parts for my bike!
The thought of getting buzzed by some jerk and then hitting the button of a big air horn was quite enticing!
However, once I started running the numbers for the size of the battery required to power the horn, I decided that it wasn't really worth it.

If someone does want to play around with an amplifier and speaker, there are mp3 files of train horns available on the web.

Steve in Peoria
I was buying some bike stuff recently on CL from a fellow whose dad was a cyclist and had passed. While I was there I picked up one of these for $10. I don't think I'll actually use it but it's an entertaining idea, and LOUD.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 09-03-23, 06:11 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,110 Posts
Have one of these and it is loud enough to get car drivers attention.
Amazon.com : Hornit dB140 Bike Horn (dB140 V3) : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-04-23, 06:33 AM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
In all seriousness, shifter bosses are threaded M5. If you can find a bell that has an M5 thread, just screw it in. If the bell is female threaded, a bit of M5 threaded rod will work to mate them. Or hack off the head of an M5 bolt, clean the threads, and use that.

If you have a bell that you'd like to use and it doesn't have an M5 thread, the Atelire could silver braze on a bit for you. I've done it before for another application. If you want or need a vintage bell, I know a guy.