Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 02:32 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Oh yeah, something else- manufacturers generally tend not to make claims that their helmets are "safer" (though again, with new technologies such as Wavecell, some have begun to make such claims). Doing so would open them up to litigation. So typically they tell you that all of the helmets sold meet federal standards and therefore are equally safe. However, objective testing (i.e., Virginia Tech) shows that that isn't precisely true.

A problem with this legalistic approach is that if all they will say is "meets federal standards", then there is no motivation for the manufacturers to innovate and improve helmet safety. But again, with MIPS and other newer technologies, this logjam seems to have broken and manufacturers do now strive to improve safety.

Also, I think the existence of independent safety tests has put some pressure on them to improve. The "safest" scores on the Virginia Tech site have diminished in the last few years.
Originally Posted by Alan K
The rating list proves the point we were discussing, higher cost is not an indication of better protection, even with incorporation of newer technologies. Giant #10 costs $65 (score 9.13) and Specialized #15 costs $50 (score 9.55) whereas Bontrager XXX Wavecell costs $300 and appears at #68 in the list (score 11.6). One has to wonder if makers of helmets are missing the point of objective tests and focusing more on the design elements for marketing or the testing itself is not fully representative of safety of human head in motion.
The logjam that appears to be broken is the reluctance of some manufacturers to make claims that their "new helmet technology" allegedly makes their helmets ( or the helmets that incorporate the technology that they are licensing/marketing) safer than those helmets without such "newer technology" and therefore justify a higher selling price.
Old 11-27-23, 04:20 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The logjam that appears to be broken is the reluctance of some manufacturers to make claims that their "new helmet technology" allegedly makes their helmets ( or the helmets that incorporate the technology that they are licensing/marketing) safer than those helmets without such "newer technology" and therefore justify a higher selling price.
When we analyzed the data based on impact velocity and angular momentum clusters, we found that the bicycle helmets that used rotation damping based technology, namely MIPS, had significantly lower peak rotational acceleration (PRA) and Generalized Acceleration Model for Brain Injury Threshold (GAMBIT) as compared to the conventional EPS liner helmets (p < 0.01).
​​​​​​​https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8503260/
Old 11-27-23, 04:27 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Three cycling helmets with identical construction were included in this study. One helmet with no rotational technology, an established, commercial technology [MIPS] and a novel helmet rotational technology designed and assembled by the authors were tested. ....The results revealed both rotational helmet technologies resulted in lower peak rotational acceleration and brain strain.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-11559-0
Old 11-27-23, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
A visit to the ER is going to cost me $3500 before I see a doctor or have an x-ray performed. A $100 bike helmet represents a smart investment in avoiding going to the hospital or becoming brain damaged.

When California enacted a mandatory helmet law there was one group that suffered, the recipients of donor organs. When young men were killed in a motorcycle accident there was usually massive head trauma but their internal organs were intact and good for donating to others.

My concerns over the years was keeping my head cool, and the first Bell helmets were very hot and not healthy to wear, and the forward visibility. Many helmets I have had to trim the forward brim to allow me to see the road ahead while bent over the handlebars. Thankfully the newer helmets are much better designed and do not block my view of the road.

A white helmet (based on motorcycle accident data) is significantly safer than a black one in terms of motorists driving over a bicyclist, but this is seldom mentioned.
There is more to it then just that simple… for starters, the type of high speed accidents on motorcycles that cause massive trauma leading to instant or delayed death, are not helped by the presence or absence of helmet. Human body is quite frail and at high speed accidents, helmet only serves as a brain bucket… saving some effort for the cleaning crew. The accidents where life-saving differences are made by the use of helmet are relatively low speed accidents, which are far more numerous in number. And this why effect of helmets on donor organ count. High speed accidents can often do, damage internal organs to the degree that they are not useable.
Old 11-27-23, 04:45 PM

There is more to it then just that simple… for starters, the type of high speed accidents on motorcycles that cause massive trauma leading to instant or delayed death, are not helped by the presence or absence of helmet. Human body is quite frail and at high speed accidents, helmet only serves as a brain bucket… saving some effort for the cleaning crew. The accidents where life-saving differences are made by the use of helmet are relatively low speed accidents, which are far more numerous in number. And this why effect of helmets on donor organ count. High speed accidents can often do, damage internal organs to the degree that they are not useable.
I dislike blanket generalizations not backed up by research. Motorcycle fatalities are not eliminated by helmet use, but they are diminished.
People like to make the perfect the enemy of the good. Why this tendency comes out so prominently during disagreements is not clear to me, but it's a general human failing as far as I can tell.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-27-23, 05:06 PM

I dislike blanket generalizations not backed up by research. Motorcycle fatalities are not eliminated by helmet use, but they are diminished.
People like to make the perfect the enemy of the good. Why this tendency comes out so prominently during disagreements is not clear to me, but it's a general human failing as far as I can tell.

etc.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...ichigan-adults
Old 11-27-23, 05:11 PM

And yet, you chose to cite the broadest generalization of all, representing information from all motorcycle accidents and fatalities!

My comment was addressing high speed accidents and I specifically stated that the difference in fatalities comes into play in accidents at lower speed.

By the way, quoting CDC hardly qualifies for research; and lately, they have not even been reliably credible. But then everyone has their likes and dislikes, and that’s what makes life interesting. 😉

Last edited by Alan K; 11-27-23 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 06:01 PM

And yet, you chose to cite the broadest generalization of all, representing information from all motorcycle accidents and fatalities!

My comment was addressing high speed accidents and I specifically stated that the difference in fatalities comes into play in accidents at lower speed.

By the way, quoting CDC hardly qualifies for research since they do no such thing, and lately, they have not even been reliably credible. But then everyone has their likes and dislikes, and that’s what makes life interesting. 😉
Sorry, but that's wholly unconvincing. According to your assertion, low speed accidents that cause head trauma are few in number. And yet, there is that 40% reduction in fatalities by helmet-wearing. Are you now going to say, "yes, I meant 40% is a small number."?

And had you bothered to dig a little, you'd have noticed that the info on the cdc site was simply quoting a study from the NHTSA.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/813112

Last edited by MinnMan; 11-27-23 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 06:09 PM
Been Around Awhile

By the way, quoting CDC hardly qualifies for research since they do no such thing, and lately, they have not even been reliably credible. But then everyone has their likes and dislikes, and that’s what makes life interesting. 😉
The gathered statistics in the cited NHSTA's Traffic Safety Facts only provides a count of fatalities and percentage victims who were known to have been wearing/not wearing helmets death at time of the fatal event. It in no way provides any confirmation that helmets "prevented" motorcyclists' deaths. It provides no information or clues about how many fatalities, if any, would have been prevented or reduction in significant head injury if unhelmeted victims had worn helmets.

The cited CDC report and its methodology is no better at proving anything about the effect of helmet wear or helmet capability at preventing motorcyclists death at any speed.
The CDC methodology of estimating the lives and costs saved estimates, as well as injury details, is derived from the same set of data cited in the NHTSA document. As Alan K points out the CDC did no "research" on the subject, and its report just made a lot of assumptions about potential benefits from helmet wear that cannot be substantiated from the fatality statistics provided by NHSTA or FARS
Old 11-27-23, 06:18 PM

Well, Alan, you have I-Like-To.... on your side. Apparently, he rejects the entire premise of epidemiology. Lucky you.
Old 11-27-23, 06:44 PM

Well, Alan, you have I-Like-To.... on your side. Apparently, he rejects the entire premise of epidemiology. Lucky you.
What does epidemiology has to do with motorcycle, is riding it a disease?

Then again, may be someone changed the definitions - I can barely keep up with made-up terms and reinvented sciency gobbledegook.

Rather than claiming what I reject or accept, without knowing it, please read carefully what I stated originally.
Old 11-27-23, 07:18 PM

Sorry, but that's wholly unconvincing. According to your assertion, low speed accidents that cause head trauma are few in number. And yet, there is that 40% reduction in fatalities by helmet-wearing. Are you now going to say, "yes, I meant 40% is a small number."?
Not sure from where did you get that!
Old 11-28-23, 08:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Then again, may be someone changed the definitions - I can barely keep up with made-up terms and reinvented sciency gobbledegook.
Apparently the new version of "epidemiology" allows looking at total numbers of fatalities with and without helmets, and without any data on the percentage of motorcyclists who wear helmets when riding, or the nature and extent of the injuries suffered by the victims of the fatal events can determine the prophylactic power of helmets from the limited data at hand.

The same epidemiologist can use the same analysis method to gaze at the NHSTA data set to determine the prophylactic power of reducing engine size of motorcycles again without knowing anything about percentages of riders who ride bikes with big engines.

More importantly such "analysis" ignores all other variables at play including that riders of big bikes or riders without helmets may ride differently than riders who ride ride small bikes or wear helmets.
Old 11-28-23, 11:04 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
Three cycling helmets with identical construction were included in this study. One helmet with no rotational technology, an established, commercial technology [MIPS] and a novel helmet rotational technology designed and assembled by the authors were tested. ....The results revealed both rotational helmet technologies resulted in lower peak rotational acceleration and brain strain.

My experience, so completely anecdotal: I was wearing a ~$70 Bell (Influx?) 2013 when my rear tire blew while I was going about 25 mph. Apparently I'd been careless and did not tighten the chin strap. The tire came off the rim. I only managed to bleed my speed down slightly when it came off entirely and jammed in the seatstays. Threw my hands off the bars, me over and into a head and shoulder crash. I have a vivid memory of my helmet grinding along the pavement, then all went blank until I came to a stop. (Not a concussion. Just my fully aware brain or body deciding that Ben really didn't need to see the damage happening. As soon as I stopped I was 100% with it. The car I knew was behind me was exactly where it belonged so no loss of time sense.) There was a cyclist behind me who stopped, asked me how I was, then walked with me as I wandered around the park I was passing and assessing the damage to myself. He questioned me for a while; looking for evidence of concussion. I didn't ask but I'm pretty certain he had first aid skills or more. Maybe the angel I really didn't need that day. He offered to call 911 but I had him just call a taxi to take me to the nearby Urgent Care. (Excellent outcome and I saved thousands.)

So, the damage to me. Broken collarbone, ribs. An acre or two of road rash (both sides). Scrape and blood from my glasses being knocked off. The helmet spun a lot and also cut my ear with the strap. But no concussion.

And an aside - I had a TBI 35 years before this when I crashed that famous Lambert fork. Lived only because I was wearing Bell #1. (Well, not #1, but year two of the original Biker.) 5 day coma. And after that, concussions happened easily. I've received concussions from hard body-slam crashes where my head and helmet never hit. To do this last crash, hit that hard and not have a concussion - big, big surprise.

3 weeks later I read about the new MIPS technology being developed in Sweden. Got thinking. That loose strap. Helmet spun 30? degrees, nearly taking my ear off and violently knocking my glasses off. Was that spin why I had no concussion? Something had to be going on for this NFL lineman's abuse brain to come through unscathed.

I was sold on the MIPS technology right then. Bought the first white MIPS helmet I saw, the MTB POC Trabec. 6 years later, the POC closest to that one. New name and a slightly nicer helmet. (Both are built to very high standards and are very comfortable. Yes, MTB weight, not road weight but I don't notice that riding.)

With time, it seems that the MIPS concept works and does often improve outcomes. I don't expect it to save my hide. I didn't expect that original Bell to either but without it, I wouldn't be here. So far, I have not tested either of those POCs. May it stay that way, please.
Old 11-28-23, 11:16 AM

Rather than claiming what I reject or accept, without knowing it, please read carefully what I stated originally.
Epidemiology has its roots in disease, but has been the basis of vehicular safety studies for more than 50 years. If you want any kind of understanding of risk assessment based on objective data, maybe catching up a little wouldn't be a bad idea. Cause otherwise, like The Dude said, then that's just your opinion, man.
Old 11-28-23, 12:00 PM

Epidemiology has its roots in disease, but has been the basis of vehicular safety studies for more than 50 years. If you want any kind of understanding of risk assessment based on objective data, maybe catching up a little wouldn't be a bad idea. Cause otherwise, like The Dude said, then that's just your opinion, man.
And here I was thinking I’m submitting a manuscript for publication in Science, my mistake.

I’m beginning to understand the reason for your poor understanding of scientific principles - if you want to understand science, stop paying attention to Dude!
Dude has no concept of cause and effect - he is easily convinced if someone throws a bunch of numbers at him and make it seem sciency. Example:

Ownership of a Lexus LS460 is statistically significantly associated with lower infant mortality.

You and your Dude must think about cause and effect to grasp the reality.

Last edited by Alan K; 11-28-23 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-24-23, 03:43 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 923 Posts
Old Man Petersen has some things to say about helmets

Thought you all might find this interesting. It's his latest blog, so there will be some scrolling to get to the helmet stuff. I found myself nodding a lot.
Old 12-30-23, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Thought you all might find this interesting. It's his latest blog, so there will be some scrolling to get to the helmet stuff. I found myself nodding a lot.
I think he overstates when he asserts that EPS is not good at shock absorbing. EPS will absorb more or less well depending on its density. But I'm on board with the general notion that you could make helmets a little safer by making them bigger and thicker - which would make them even harder to sell.

My general take on helmets is that they provide useful protection for bike crashes. In particular, they reduce your chances of injury from hitting your head on the ground from a fall. The cost is low. the inconvenience is low. So why not?

A helmet probably kept me out of a hospital and maybe even out of a grave when I went over the handlebars of my bike. Hard to say for sure what the outcome would have otherwise been. But the helmet damage suggests a hospital visit as a minimum. But I don't see how a helmet is likely to help much with the forces involved when a car hits a cyclist. As the blogger points out, they are designed with a 14mph or less collision in mind. So if a car merely knocks you down, then its more likely to help. But if it hits you with substantial force, The helmet will provide little protection.

So I think its generally a good idea to wear a helmet. Even when you aren't riding around cars. But I think the strong and even zealous advocacy I often see oversells the potential benefit. If people looked at actual risks they might be just as concerned about head injuries with other daily activities - like walking (especially after age 65) and driving.

Last edited by Jay Turberville; 12-31-23 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-30-23, 11:29 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 923 Posts
@Jay Turberville, I think Grant's main objection was to using rigid styrofoam instead of something squishier that slows your brain down before stopping it. And I agree, there's not much a foam hat can do against a Ram 1500.
Old 12-31-23, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 3,021 Times in 1,720 Posts
@Jay Turberville, I think Grant's main objection was to using rigid styrofoam instead of something squishier that slows your brain down before stopping it. And I agree, there's not much a foam hat can do against a Ram 1500.
Other than the kapok-stuffed leather hairnets that we racers used in the '60's and '70's, all bike helmets (e.g., the popular Pro-Tec helmets) used "squishier" foam before Bell came out with their expanded-polystyrene-lined helmets. Once the ANSI (and Snell) began testing bike helmets, the helmets with spongy foam (to say nothing of the hairnets) all but disappeared from the market, since they could not meet the relevant safety standards.

Styrofoam hats, on the other hand, earn approval from the testing agencies because the EPS crushes on impact, thus absorbing energy and lessening the likelihood or severity of concussion.

(By the way: no, an EPS-lined helmet won't protect you from a hit from a speeding car. To argue, as some posters here are prone to do, that such a helmet is therefore useless for a bike rider is like arguing that steel and Kevlar helmets are useless for ground troops because they won't protect against a direct hit from a mortar shell.)

Instead of bloviating about bike helmets from his position of highly opinionated ignorance, Petersen should interview an engineer or two from Bell or Giro or one of the other current helmet manufacturers and learn a little about the subject.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-31-23 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-31-23, 05:50 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

(By the way: no, an EPS-lined helmet won't protect you from a hit from a speeding car. To argue, as some posters here are prone to do, that such a helmet is therefore useless for a bike rider is like arguing that steel and Kevlar helmets are useless for ground troops because they won't protect against a direct hit from a mortar shell.)
Agreed. I haven't read the entire thread or even all of the last page or the recently linked article. But I've never worn a helmet expecting much protection from a vehicle at speed. While getting hit from a car or truck is certainly in the realm of possibility, it fortunately has not happened. What has happened is getting ran off the path by an inattentive rider, or an e-bike going too fast. I've crashed due to wet roads, loose gravel or mud and while I did not have a head impact if I had I would have been glad to have had the helmet. I've had close calls from people backing out of driveways, right hooks or pulling out in front of me at intersections.

It makes no sense to not wear a helmet because it can't protect against things beyond its design limits.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-31-23, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
I understand his point. I just disagree with much of it. Something squishier and of a similar thickness won't slow the head/brain (absorb very much energy) much before it stops it. He also thinks using eggs is a proper test - somehow missing the major point that the mass of an egg is so much less than that of a human head. Whether an egg shell cracks or not isn't a particularly good model for evaluating head protection. Nor is pressing your thumb against some Styrofoam. His arguments against EPS are weak. He seems to misunderstand the issues around absorbing energy which is the key role that EPS plays.

The design problem for bicycle helmets is hard. How do you add useful protection in a lightweight design? Well, the fact is that you can't do it very well. There are some basic physics issues involved that are very hard if not impossible to get around. Automobiles manage the forces by having large crush zones and spreading impacts over larger areas of the body. (They also use EPS in their bumpers and other places for energy absorption). A large crush zone on a helmet would be unwieldy. Who would use it? And it is no wonder that football helmets don't use EPS. The helmet needs to withstand repeated impacts. EPS is useful one time. But motorcycle helmets use EPS as the primary material for impact energy absorption. He's simply wrong to assert otherwise. He also seems to think that rock climbing helmets don't use EPS, but they often do. Likewise, EPS is commonly used in horse riding helmets. I could go on.

Last edited by Jay Turberville; 12-31-23 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-31-23, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,661 Times in 1,250 Posts
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...elmets/c/E399/
Old 12-31-23, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 3,021 Times in 1,720 Posts
Please explain what the point was of posting that link.
Old 12-31-23, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,661 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Please explain what the point was of posting that link.
Non-stryofoam helmet. Just adding to the conversation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.