Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are gas powered bikes welcome here too?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.
View Poll Results: Should gas powered bicycles be admitted to the forum?
No not under any circumstances.
38.03%
Only if they have their own sticky thread.
8.45%
Yes I'd like to see them discussed here.
26.76%
Yes, but I want other forms of propulsion to be discussed too.
26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Are gas powered bikes welcome here too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys DO realize this is not the argument anymore, right? its all been moved on to a different thread. This question is not even being asked any more.
Old 08-30-08, 03:38 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I own a 90hp boat, 1 ATV, a full size truck, a chainsaw, lawnmower, and a power ice auger.

Why would I be upset about gasoline powered bicycles?

And, yes! I love the idea of electric bikes.
Old 09-15-08, 05:08 AM
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheesepuff12
what do you hope to accomplish by trying to insult someone? are you racist? do you hate people who speak a language you don't? How arrogant and rude. I'm humbled by how nice and un-threatening she is to put up with the very immature and hurtful behavior. I cant respect someone who so blindly attacks another person for some bull **** reason. Stop going off the topic to try and break downs someones spirit. Grow up people! this isn't youtube! you cant just go around and try to start a flame war. From what I have seen with her putting up with all this, all i can say is that she is a damn good moderator, and i think its time we all realized the harm some members are trying to do. its just wrong.
FYI - my insult wasn't intended for sianelle. it was for the types who think they're so much better than anybody else because they're "electric-only" and it's their way or the highway. I've always FULLY supported sianelle and will continue to do so when I can.

I'm racist? I'm only as racist as YOU...

Have another Cheespuff
Old 09-15-08, 05:19 AM
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sianelle
Well bless you, that was really interesting.

The intent behind Latin scholarship was that it was a universal language that enabled scholars and churchmen from different countries to communicate with one another. In many ways English - and French to a certain degree, - have become the universal languages of the world and Latin has fallen out of use. However for anyone who is interested in the study of the Early Church, Latin is well worth the effort to learn.
That wiki link wasn't meant for you - it was for the "I'm outta here!" bunch. Pretty funny that 40-60 people can be so worked up and divisive about something so related. Oh well, all the best to you and all you do - you're a kind and helpful mod.
Old 09-16-08, 03:18 PM

Bikes: '07 VELOTEQ CHALLENGER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile chain

Sounds like pocket bike chain to me.
Old 09-19-08, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe
FYI - my insult wasn't intended for sianelle. it was for the types who think they're so much better than anybody else because they're "electric-only" and it's their way or the highway. I've always FULLY supported sianelle and will continue to do so when I can.

I'm racist? I'm only as racist as YOU...

Have another Cheespuff
I see. well i guess with the situation and timing of the post it was easily mistaken to understand whom it was directed to.
Old 09-25-08, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sister Annie -

This is my first visit to this particular forum and I must say that I am impressed with your patience. You do a good job.

Uh oh - I understand that you need to run, bile clean-up on aisle 2.

David
Old 10-18-08, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of hard to find the words to say after reading this. But one thing for sure, Sister Annie is a saint and some people take their Internets way too seriously.
Old 02-08-09, 07:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no idiot, a gas powered bike is called a motorcycle.. ever seen one i hear they are really rare
Old 02-19-09, 03:35 PM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it is quite funny that you guys are so against gas assist bikes being in your forum while the rest of us don't believe "ebikes" even belong on a bicycle forum in the first place. Be a bit more accepting and open minded.
Old 02-21-09, 09:16 AM
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest a new poll, this one is skewed.

This poll has one choice for no, and three choices for yes. Adding up the yes responses reveals ICE bikes are wanted in the forum by majority, 44 to 27.
Old 02-22-09, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, just because electric bikes are regulated to 20 mph and less than a horsepower it is not any reason to be sore or snobby.

The fact that I can build a gas bike that is better than the best electric bike performance wise factoring in power, range and economy for about 1/2 the price and still get 200 mpg while carrying heavy loads, have full ability to pedal with resistance throughout the entire power band of the motor and be fully legal in all states that recognize motor assist bicycles 49cc and under with automatic transmissions is proof enough to me that they need to be discussed openly.
DSC01157.jpg

It is not that there are not other sources to do so but it is fun to come over here and see how the other half tries to live, yet not let live. Sure there are a bunch of knuckleheads out there running all manner of ICE's on Wal Mart class bikes, mostly the 2 stroke variety that flaunt the law and fashion themselves to be rebels that are giving gas bikes a bad name. But there are others that do care and want to do the right thing.

We plan on integrating electric in to our business plan as we can bolt one to the same mount, but are more likely to do a hybrid front hub scenario that will only need a small 10 mile range battery that will be recharged during the operation of the ICE, solar, wind, hydro or whatever. Anything but coal. In fact by the end of the summer we should be operating solely on Alcohol for our needs.
Old 03-12-09, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheesepuff12
I totally agree with you 100%. right now, we all need to learn what we are talking about before we can even begin to make a definite decision. what is so bad about gas bikes besides the pollution? it wouldn't hurt to have a section for gas bike. in fact, we should have a section devoted to alternative ways of propulsion. battery, ethanol, hydrogen, gas included. we need to explore the idea and give it a chance to develop to understand the topic more to see if these can be good ideas or not. true not too many people would use a bike such as these, but the fact that there ARE people who DO makes it more than enough to be worth while to have JUST IN CASE someone wants to talk about it.

My vote is yes. We need something like this. to open up our minds to the reality of what could be, instead of letting them close and prevent the chance for new things to have a chance at life. for if peoples minds were so closed, man would never have moved on from the stone age.
I agree with the both of you. I own a gas bike. Granted, gas powered bikes aren't great for the environment, but there are many benefits to the use of a gas powered bike versus an e-bike, including better mileage overall per "fill", or accessibility to refueling stations.

Although I haven't been a member of this forum for a long time, I think that if we all keep an open mind, we can add a little more color to this forum, and ideas for both current forms of alternative transportation will flourish because there are similar aspects to both forms, and there are a ton of people who would benefit from all angles of modifying their bikes to obtain a cheap and effective means of transportation.

I VOTE YES!!!
Old 04-09-09, 12:45 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not? Here's my friend's home-built gas conversion from a cruiser bike (note the tank is original to the bike but converted for fuel storage (reinforced and sealed):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gasbike.jpg (67.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-09-09, 12:52 PM
On the Humber Trail

Bikes: Electra Townie, Turf Trike, generic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus it'll keep your knees warm in cold weather. I'll bet people can hear you coming on this one!
Old 04-09-09, 04:08 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chainstrainer
Why not? Here's my friend's home-built gas conversion from a cruiser bike (note the tank is original to the bike but converted for fuel storage (reinforced and sealed):
wow that is a nice build
Old 04-09-09, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by karma
wow that is a nice build
Yeah, that really is beautiful.
Old 04-11-09, 06:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a gas powered bike. I prefer the electric bike. Just the quietness of it and you do get exercise pedaling.