Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides with the Big Boys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Rides with the Big Boys

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I bet I could train you to ride 100 miles faster than you've ever ridden them before using solely <20 mile rides.
You'd lose that bet except in very specific instances. There's more than just pedaling to riding 100 miles fast. I see lots of people make this mistake every year. Fastest century someone's ever ridden is going to require more than just training increments of 1-1.5 hours. No matter how hard.

How many 100 mile rides have you done?
Old 09-12-18, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Maybe this new science doesn't apply to me?
If you're riding at low intensity either way, then adding breaks won't make you stronger. But if the question is thirty miles of aggressive 8-mile "intervals" with regroups, versus thirty miles of steady, things are more complicated.

I've done century rides with no "stamina" issues at times when the other rides I'd been doing were mostly forty miles or less with frequent regroups.

There are good reasons to do long rides while training for a century, such as sorting out fit and nutrition. But from a pure pedaling stamina point of view, you really don't need to ride long rides non-stop in order to ride longer rides non-stop.
Old 09-12-18, 12:24 PM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'm sure you think you don't coast or softpedal. But you do. Get a pm. It'll quickly show you what's up.

Endurance is built by increasing training load. You can do that in any number of ways. Stopping isn't going to affect it. It's not that difficult to go ride 100 miles if youre riding 200 miles a week, even if you've never done over 60 or 70. How is that possible?

I said leaving people for dead on a group ride was dumb, with an aside concerning crashed riders as a response to someone else's post.

Your entire notion of what builds fitness is off base, so whatever argument you're trying to build from that is also very off base.
You said people were dumb for not having regroup points. I say they aren't dumb, they're just training to ride without stopping. This isn't my "notion of what builds fitness", it's what I see people do.

And I know I soft pedal. I never said I didn't soft pedal.
Old 09-12-18, 12:24 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The conversation about coasting prompted me to do a 32 mile fixed gear road ride last night. It has been a while since I rode fixed on the road, lots of fun and my legs are sore today. Just wanted to thank you guys for that. I did stop for coffee though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1835785542

I'm actually thinking about bringing the fixed gear to a group ride again. I did it a few times but all the shifting started to piss me off after a while.

-Tim-
Old 09-12-18, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You'd lose that bet except in very specific instances. There's more than just pedaling to riding 100 miles fast. I see lots of people make this mistake every year. Fastest century someone's ever ridden is going to require more than just training increments of 1-1.5 hours. No matter how hard.

How many 100 mile rides have you done?
I've lost count but probably 40-50 including a couple double century days, only 5 so far this year but my training has been specifically for cyclocross. While there is more to riding a century than just pedalling, most people who measure their training in miles aren't likely doing the specific hard training to really increase their fitness substantially at that higher end. If someone has years and years of built up training of long distance riding, they don't have to build that up to do a century every year. I've with rubiksoval in that training should mostly be solo, and IME doesn't have to be particularly long if you are efficient with it, and know how to address specific physiological adaptions that occur at different intensities.
Old 09-12-18, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you're riding at low intensity either way, then adding breaks won't make you stronger. But if the question is thirty miles of aggressive 8-mile "intervals" with regroups, versus thirty miles of steady, things are more complicated.

I've done century rides with no "stamina" issues at times when the other rides I'd been doing were mostly forty miles or less with frequent regroups.

There are good reasons to do long rides while training for a century, such as sorting out fit and nutrition. But from a pure pedaling stamina point of view, you really don't need to ride long rides non-stop in order to ride longer rides non-stop.
Exactly
Old 09-12-18, 12:41 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You said people were dumb for not having regroup points. I say they aren't dumb, they're just training to ride without stopping. This isn't my "notion of what builds fitness", it's what I see people do.

And I know I soft pedal. I never said I didn't soft pedal.
At this point, I'd say you're just saying stuff to be saying it. Everything you've asserted or "seen" or "remembered" has been off-base.
Old 09-12-18, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I've lost count but probably 40-50 including a couple double century days,
That's what I was thinking. The more expert one is in an endeavor the easier it becomes to forget what a beginner is experiencing. Regardless I think we are discussing two different things as I was taking your assertion as directed at someone who appeared to be a beginner with essentially no long distance base. Now it seems like he might just like arguing and not necessarily here to learn or share opinions.
Old 09-12-18, 12:59 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
<snip>Maybe this new science doesn't apply to me? I can do a bunch of 30 mile rides, but I'm not ready for a 100 mile ride until I work up to some 60 and 70 mile rides. And I can't skip rest stops on the 100 mile ride if I stop frequently on the 70 mile ride.
I doesn't apply unless you do it. How about this? Instead of doing "a bunch of 30 mile rides," you go out Tuesday and do 30 miles, including four 10 minute hill repeats on a long hill, going as hard as you can and not blow up in 10 minutes. Rest time is coasting back down for the next one. If you don't have any hills, do the same thing in the drops. 100 cadence, hard effort, 10 minutes, 5 minutes easy pedaling, repeat 4 times.

Then Thursday go out for 25 miles and do speed work: Somewhere convenient on the ride, pedal absolutely as hard as you can on the flat for 30 seconds, in the saddle, starting in a pretty big gear and shifting up as necessary. Then 5 minutes of moderate pedaling. Repeat 6 times.

Then next weekend, do 50 miles at a good pace, preferably in the hills at about 50'/mile climbing. With the group is fine.

Repeat for 3 weeks. You'll notice a difference. Then try something similar on your group rides. The idea is to return to the parking lot unable to dismount the bike. That's how hard you want to go on those 50 mile rides. You don't need instrumentation to do that. Just turn yourself inside out, bits of lung on your shoes, that sort of thing.
Old 09-12-18, 01:32 PM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The conversation about coasting prompted me to do a 32 mile fixed gear road ride last night. It has been a while since I rode fixed on the road, lots of fun and my legs are sore today. Just wanted to thank you guys for that. I did stop for coffee though.

I'm actually thinking about bringing the fixed gear to a group ride again. I did it a few times but all the shifting started to piss me off after a while.

-Tim-
We had a 2 who used to come out with us in winter on his fixed. Fixed is hard with 22 mph pacelines, but heck, I used to do it SS, not fixed, but it's similar. 35 miles of that is usually enough. That 2 became our local crit champ. It's good training, no doubt about it. I remember one time him coming up to the front to scream at us to slow down! It's only possible to pedal 70 g.i. so fast and I was never strong enough to do 10% grades in your gear.
Old 09-12-18, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That's what I was thinking. The more expert one is in an endeavor the easier it becomes to forget what a beginner is experiencing. Regardless I think we are discussing two different things as I was taking your assertion as directed at someone who appeared to be a beginner with essentially no long distance base. Now it seems like he might just like arguing and not necessarily here to learn or share opinions.
Yea, the person I quoted isn't a beginner, just someone how trains by distance. We've all likely been there at some point in our cycling, but some of us see the light and learn to train smarter. I'm the fastest I've been been at any distance this year and I've done way less long rides
Old 09-12-18, 01:50 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I doesn't apply unless you do it. How about this? Instead of doing "a bunch of 30 mile rides," you go out Tuesday and do 30 miles, including four 10 minute hill repeats ...
Hill? What is this "hill" you speak of?

At this point, I'd say you're just saying stuff to be saying it. Everything you've asserted or "seen" or "remembered" has been off-base.
So I haven't seen what I've seen? I don't remember what I remember? Please, enlighten me about my own experience.
Old 09-12-18, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I've lost count but probably 40-50 including a couple double century days, only 5 so far this year but my training has been specifically for cyclocross. While there is more to riding a century than just pedalling, most people who measure their training in miles aren't likely doing the specific hard training to really increase their fitness substantially at that higher end. If someone has years and years of built up training of long distance riding, they don't have to build that up to do a century every year. I've with rubiksoval in that training should mostly be solo, and IME doesn't have to be particularly long if you are efficient with it, and know how to address specific physiological adaptions that occur at different intensities.
Personally I know that if I am to ride a century fast I need to do some long rides in the build up.
Some people seem to manage without the long rides, sort of, but I don't think you can "race" for 4 or 5hrs with only 1.5hr max training rides.
Even in the "Time Crunched Cyclist" he concedes that this short intense training is insufficient for 3hr + races.
Old 09-12-18, 02:15 PM

So I haven't seen what I've seen? I don't remember what I remember? Please, enlighten me about my own experience.
You don't understand what you've seen, and your assessment of your experience is inaccurate. In addition, you've attempted to attribute things to what you've seen and experienced that are not correct.
Old 09-12-18, 02:26 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You don't understand what you've seen, and your assessment of your experience is inaccurate. In addition, you've attempted to attribute things to what you've seen and experienced that are not correct.
I have seen riders skip rest stops during group training rides. They believe (and their performance demonstrates) that helps them skip rest stops during long charity rides.

Did I dream that? Are they all dummies? Please, please, please share your wisdom. I will immediately tell them the error of their ways.
Old 09-12-18, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Did I dream that? Are they all dummies? Please, please, please share your wisdom. I will immediately tell them the error of their ways.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Don’t worry, you’re not the first.
Old 09-12-18, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
One could argue that skipping rest stops could yield an overall better time at said event. You can pee on the bike like a true triathlete does. (at least that is what I have been told) That will save some time. Have enough fuel and water to take you the whole distance. That will net you some time savings.
Old 09-12-18, 02:39 PM

I have seen riders skip rest stops during group training rides. They believe (and their performance demonstrates) that helps them skip rest stops during long charity rides.

You saw them not stop, but your assertion that their performance demonstrates that is wrong.

They're not dummies. They're just ignorant.

Tell them. Explain to them about coasting and soft-pedaling, too.
Old 09-12-18, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dean V
Personally I know that if I am to ride a century fast I need to do some long rides in the build up.
Some people seem to manage without the long rides, sort of, but I don't think you can "race" for 4 or 5hrs with only 1.5hr max training rides.
Even in the "Time Crunched Cyclist" he concedes that this short intense training is insufficient for 3hr + races.
Certainly some long rides would be optimal and a good plan would incorporate both, but if I had to pick between lots of short focused interval based training, and only doing longish rides with no structure and basing my training on skipping rest stops I'd bet I could get more out of someone doing the intervals, even if the plan would seem extreme. Ideal training would be somewhere in the middle with 1 long ride a week with less structure on say a group ride, with many shorter interval days and Z2 rides during the week.
Old 09-12-18, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
To give an example: my rides are typically 400-500 feet of elevation every 10 miles. There are zero redlights on my routes and a minimum of intersections. About the very best I can do is less than 8% of total time in Z1. 10% is usually the goal on my solo rides to ensure I'm maximizing my time. That's 6 minutes of z1 in 60.

And that's with about the minimum interruptions I can achieve on open roads.

In a group ride, it gets closer to 40-50% as Caloso mentioned simply because any time you're not on the front you're having to check up and coast in the draft. Then there's the additional slowing at turns and intersections and downhills and the like. Any downhill grade in a group in which you're not on the front is almost always in z1 or coasting simply to avoid rolling up into the person in front of you.

All of those seconds quickly add up to minutes and on longer rides add up to hours.
You'd really have to focus to get it under 10%. I looked at this morning's ride, which was an out and back 2x30' sweet spot ride. By excluding all the data that was not part of the main interval set, it was still 9% Z1. Including all the rest (riding from my house to the start of the workout and then riding to the office after), I'm now up to 30% Z1.

Power data is really eye opening.
Old 09-12-18, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
You'd really have to focus to get it under 10%. I looked at this morning's ride, which was an out and back 2x30' sweet spot ride. By excluding all the data that was not part of the main interval set, it was still 9% Z1. Including all the rest (riding from my house to the start of the workout and then riding to the office after), I'm now up to 30% Z1.

Power data is really eye opening.
it is eye opening. I understand the issue here, but remember normalized power uses a 30 second rolling average because 30 seconds is the typical half-life of many metabolic processes. One must be careful looking at time in zone for a ride to distinguish between meaningful durations and an accumulation of very short excursions that have no real effect.
Old 09-12-18, 03:26 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Further example, in my case Z1 power is 1-159W. In a three hour solo ride of typical intensity, I might be in that Z1 for as much as 40 minutes. Going down a slight incline, say -0.5%, I'll average ~140W @ 20mph. Z1 power and HR for 10, 15, even 20 minutes, all in one go.
Old 09-12-18, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Nice. But group rides....?
I did one group ride with friends and one mega event with the fixed gear: never again. The ride with friends wasn't bad - actually, in many ways it was fun - but what I had a hard time with was people in front not maintaining speed up rollers or the way they'd coast prematurely - I'd start creeping up on them and just did NOT want to lose any of that precious momentum by braking in any way. It wasn't so difficult, effort-wise, it just drove me bananas. If it's not too spirited or serious-pace-liney of a ride, I don't mind if a friend brings his fixed gear. I just don't like to ride directly behind him - he likes to skid, and sharply swerve, and it freaks me out.
The mega event was a NYC Century - the distance and elevation were not the challenge - the killer was all the stopping and starting at intersections and such.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-12-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 08:13 PM
just another gosling

Certainly some long rides would be optimal and a good plan would incorporate both, but if I had to pick between lots of short focused interval based training, and only doing longish rides with no structure and basing my training on skipping rest stops I'd bet I could get more out of someone doing the intervals, even if the plan would seem extreme. Ideal training would be somewhere in the middle with 1 long ride a week with less structure on say a group ride, with many shorter interval days and Z2 rides during the week.
I gotta say, I've been doing what you recommend for 20+ years and it works like a frigging charm. Took me a couple years to figure that out. That said, the last 2 or 3 weekend rides I'll lead, 3 to 4 weeks before a target endurance ride, will be increasing length group rides in similar terrain to the target ride, then we'll taper. That'll show up any weak spots and maybe repair them. We'll take breaks about every 30 miles on those rides.

"I always say" that if one is in decent riding condition, one can ride a century on any given day, no problem. OTOH, a 10,000' century will demand a little more respect.
Old 09-13-18, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
I remember a study on jogging that said alternating periods of walking and jogging (I don't remember the exact ratios , but it was something like 5 minutes jogging then 1 minute walking) caused just as much fitness gains as jogging the entire time. Based on that (and common sense) I would think that stopping for a couple of minutes every so often to allow people to catch up wouldn't hurt your fitness in any meaningful way.

The only case I can think of where that would be a problem would be with respect to holding your position on the bike. I know that when I ride in the country, away from the stop lights I usually encounter, I find that my back gets tight/sore after a while with no breaks. This only happens on the first couple of rides, then I'm used to it. Having stops, whether to wait for others, or at a traffic light, lets me change my position and give my back a break. If I knew I was going to do a serious long ride (say a fondo are a race) without stops, I'd want to replicate this at least once or twice in training. But these wouldn't need to be fast rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.