Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

N+1 - Is this a good idea?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

N+1 - Is this a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RollCNY
OP,
Years ago, I was talking to a sage riding cohort about the great deal I had found on a bike, and whether I should plunge. His response was something to this effect:

He knew many people who bought a bike for the great deal, and later regretted it.

He knew many people who overpaid for their dream bike, and never regretted it.
Sounds like sound advice. Still not sure...
Old 12-09-14, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
I don't want to going into this again about what's grey market and what's not, but the reality is that I probably won't be sending anything back to Ribble for warranty work, and Campy US won't warranty them for me either. So I understand when I buy from Ribble, warranty is not something I worry about. Call it whatever you want.
Okay, that's all good. I'm just trying to be fair to Ribble here. If someone else was willing to send something back, there is no reason to assume it wouldn't be remedied under warranty.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-09-14, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Don't know about Ribble, but ProBikeKit worked with me when I ordered a crankset and the non-driveside arm somehow never made it to me. They shipped a new crankset at no cost and I ended up with a free set of Ultegra 6600 rings out of the deal (and a spare driveside arm, FWIW - BTW, if anyone needs a new 175mm Shimano 6600 driveside arm, hit me up by PM).

I would imagine Ribble will do something similar if parts are found defective out of the box. I can't imagine they will be much help if you ride 100 miles and stuff starts breaking (like the other dude with the autosucking chain).
Why wouldn't they honor the Campy warranty. They were authorized to sell the UK goods to anyone who wanted to buy them. The warranty should be fully valid. Gray market isn't about where the buyer is located. It is about where the seller is located.

Supposing you were in the UK and bought the stuff. Took it back to the USA. It broke. Wouldn't the warranty be expected to be valid? Shipping it to you is hardly different.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Why wouldn't they honor the Campy warranty. They were authorized to sell the UK goods to anyone who wanted to buy them. The warranty should be fully valid. Gray market isn't about where the buyer is located. It is about where the seller is located.
A distribution contract can be written any way the two entities feel is fair to both parties. The whole reason why UK prices are much better than US is because distribution between the UK and the US is not supposed to happen, by contract. Because of favorable laws in the UK, internet shops based in the UK are allowed to ship to the US. There is an import duty on the US side if the shipment is found in customs. This doesn't happen often though, and the package is labeled and shipped in such a way as to not arouse suspicions (most of the time packages are labeled as "gifts" for instance).

But it is entirely possible that Campy can refuse to honor the warranty of a product that is shipped outside its approved distribution channels. There is no "rule" that they "have to" do anything. A warranty is a contract between buyer and seller and it can literally say anything that the two parties agree to (outside of some broad legal limitations).
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-09-14 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 01:42 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Supposing you were in the UK and bought the stuff. Took it back to the USA. It broke. Wouldn't the warranty be expected to be valid? Shipping it to you is hardly different.
It's very different, Robert.
Old 12-09-14, 01:43 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Okay, that's all good. I'm just trying to be fair to Ribble here. If someone else was willing to send something back, there is no reason to assume it wouldn't be remedied under warranty.
I think the distinction is it will be remedied under Ribble, not under warranty. If it is indeed gray market, Ribble will simply take the hit out of their own pocket and not deal with the manufacture at all.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-09-14, 01:45 PM

Let's find out, shall we? I emailed Ribble with the question. As I see it, how is Campy to know? The seller is also their warranty service agent. Anyway it is a good question. Let's see what they say.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 01:47 PM

I think the distinction is it will be remedied under Ribble, not under warranty. If it is indeed gray market, Ribble will simply take the hit out of their own pocket and not deal with the manufacture at all.
That is how true gray market goods (sold by a seller who is themselves outside of the approved distribution area) are often handled. This appears to me to be different. We shall see what they say.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 01:51 PM

A distribution contract can be written any way the two entities feel is fair to both parties. The whole reason why UK prices are much better than US is because distribution between the UK and the US is not supposed to happen, by contract. Because of favorable laws in the UK, internet shops based in the UK are allowed to ship to the US. There is an import duty on the US side if the shipment is found in customs. This doesn't happen often though, and the package is labeled and shipped in such a way as to not arouse suspicions (most of the time packages are labeled as "gifts" for instance).

But it is entirely possible that Campy can refuse to honor the warranty of a product that is shipped outside its approved distribution channels.
There is no "rule" that they "have to" do anything. A warranty is a contract between buyer and seller and it can literally say anything that the two parties agree to (outside of some broad legal limitations).
How would they even know? Do you have to fill out a form to register group parts with your name and address and such? I imagine Ribble just tells the Campy rep they have these four or whatever broken parts to be credited to their account and hands them to the rep when he visits the store. He throws them in the back of his car and dumps them at the warehouse next time goes back to the office. I can't imagine Campy asking for the details about each buyer. But it is possible. Let's see.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 02:17 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How would they even know? Do you have to fill out a form to register group parts with your name and address and such? I imagine Ribble just tells the Campy rep they have these four or whatever broken parts to be credited to their account and hands them to the rep when he visits the store. He throws them in the back of his car and dumps them at the warehouse next time goes back to the office. I can't imagine Campy asking for the details about each buyer. But it is possible. Let's see.
Usually warranty work requires proof of purchase. I don't know about Campy, but Trek certainly requires detailed info about each warranty replacement. When I got my frame replaced, they required proof of purchase and a detailed description of the failure of the frame, as well as the frame itself so they could make the judgement of whether to repair or replace the frame. This is their business; they aren't in the business of giving stuff away for free. You are confusing the behavior of low margin retailers such as Target with high margin retailers, such as specialty bike shops.

There are, of course, ways of spoofing your address and proof of purchase to make it look like you are a UK buyer to Campy, but this is probably some version of fraud and breach of contract and is probably specifically mentioned in the distribution agreement.
Old 12-09-14, 02:21 PM

Because goods can sit in a warehouse or on a shelf for long time, manufacturers often want to see invoices with appropriate serial numbers and transaction details (date and customer info) on them. You're being naive if you think that warranty replacement and repair isn't a cost that the manufacturers keep close track of.
Old 12-09-14, 03:31 PM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you want Campy, buy it now so you can buy electronic Shimano for your 50th...there's a reason it's hard to find in the US, it sucks.
Old 12-09-14, 03:37 PM

I just found this on the Velotech website. Velotech is one of four warranty service companies for Campy in the UK. Here is the link to the page I excerpted: Frequently Asked Questions - Campagnolo - Velotech Cycling Ltd - Weldtech Industry standard cycle mechanics training and Campagnolo Approved Service Centre (UK)

Q: What is the proper Campagnolo Warranty Procedure for parts bought abroad?
A: The Campagnolo warranty requires that a part that may be subject to a Warranty claim must go back to the country from which it was bought - so an item bought mail order by, say, an Australian customer from a UK retailer must return it to that UK retailer for warranty.

I don't have any information about other manufacturers, but it looks like Campy honors warranty claims from anyone who bought their goods anywhere so long as the goods are returned for warranty processing to the place where they were purchased. Nifty and fair enough. I conclude there is essentially no such thing as gray market Campy goods.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 03:46 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
...requires that a part that may be subject to a Warranty claim...
Your conclusions are not warranted by that particular Q&A. Thing is, this statement might or might not apply to parts coming from UK to the US. Distribution contracts are contracts that can say anything the parties agree for them to say. The US might well be a separate distribution system from the rest of the world. "Abroad" does not automatically include "United States". Notice that, even though the US is a much bigger market than Australia, they did not use the US as their example. This might well be deliberate.
Old 12-09-14, 03:56 PM

Your conclusions are not warranted by that particular Q&A. Thing is, this statement might or might not apply to parts coming from UK to the US. Distribution contracts are contracts that can say anything the parties agree for them to say. The US might well be a separate distribution system from the rest of the world. "Abroad" does not automatically include "United States". Notice that, even though the US is a much bigger market than Australia, they did not use the US as their example. This might well be deliberate.
Okee, dokee.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 04:09 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Okee, dokee.
Better to just ask the particular shop you are buying from than to spend effort speculating, yes?

That is my point when I say a contract can say anything the parties want it to say. There are no hard and fast rules about this in any sense. It can literally be pick-and-choose-illogical-nonsense if that is what the text of the contract says. If you want to buy a bike from Ribble and are worried about how they handle warranty situations, just ask them and only them. Don't make assumptions about the deal Campy Italy has with the distributor, or about how Campy USA will handle warranty cases from parts bought in the UK, or anything else. When you buy something, it is a deal between you and the retailer, so ask the retailer if there are questions about how they handle returns and defects.
Old 12-09-14, 04:20 PM

Better to just ask the particular shop you are buying from than to spend effort speculating, yes?

That is my point when I say a contract can say anything the parties want it to say. There are no hard and fast rules about this in any sense. It can literally be pick-and-choose-illogical-nonsense if that is what the text of the contract says. If you want to buy a bike from Ribble and are worried about how they handle warranty situations, just ask them and only them. Don't make assumptions about the deal Campy Italy has with the distributor, or about how Campy USA will handle warranty cases from parts bought in the UK, or anything else. When you buy something, it is a deal between you and the retailer, so ask the retailer if there are questions about how they handle returns and defects.
That makes perfect sense, and is exactly what I would do. My only objection is the a priori assumption that the UK guys aren't supplying and able to support manufacturers warranties on goods shipped to the US. Folks are continually being advised here that there is no warranty on these goods, when we don't really know that is true. You are exactly correct that one would have to verify the existence of the manufacturer's warranty and its applicability, but I don't get the pessimism going in.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 04:27 PM

Bobby, you're being a source of facepalms, again. That a Campy part has to go back to the region it was bought from isn't evidence that there's no such thing as Campy gray market, it reinforces that it's gray market.
Old 12-09-14, 04:41 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
... but I don't get the pessimism going in.
If you look around the internet, there are a lot of people who get burned on this issue when the UK store doesn't respond well to the warranty request, or maybe doesn't respond at all. People then go to the manufacturer, be it Campagnolo Italy or Campagnolo USA, and find that the reseller wasn't operating within Campy Italy's purview and Campy USA has no stake in the matter. IMO, it is better to go into the purchase believing you have little recourse and calling after something happens (as I did with my PBK purchase) and finding that the reseller will make the problem go away, than to believing you are covered by someone and finding out you fell into a crack somewhere and nobody will own up.

It's another way of saying "caveat emptor".
Old 12-09-14, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Bobby, you're being a source of facepalms, again. That a Campy part has to go back to the region it was bought from isn't evidence that there's no such thing as Campy gray market, it reinforces that it's gray market.
Nah, I don't think so. If Campy accepts the claim regardless of your address as long as you work through the shop where the parts were bought, then the purchase couldn't have been unauthorized. All good as long as you deal with where you got it. Pretty enlightened policy. Not perfect, but sensible.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 12-09-14 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 04:49 PM

Nah, I don't think so. It's all good as long as you deal with where you got it. Pretty enlightened policy. Not perfect, but sensible.
Bobby - if it weren't gray market, it would go to the nearest center (or center of the customer's choice), not the region that it was sold out of. That it's not to be serviced in the customer's market tells you that it got there through channels not intended to service the customer's market (which = gray market). And as Brian has already stated, that one service provider states a policy does not mean that that policy is universal.
Old 12-09-14, 05:30 PM

Bobby - if it weren't gray market, it would go to the nearest center (or center of the customer's choice), not the region that it was sold out of. That it's not to be serviced in the customer's market tells you that it got there through channels not intended to service the customer's market (which = gray market). And as Brian has already stated, that one service provider states a policy does not mean that that policy is universal.
I don't agree, but you guys are relentless. That's fine.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 12-09-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 05:43 PM

I don't see why the manufacturer couldn't say the sale is okay, but the general warranty policy (all transactions) requires service by the store where the purchase was made whether in region or not.
They absolutely could and I'm sure that some do... but many, in support of their local distribution, provide more direct service, convenient service. It depends (haven't you been paying attention?) and it goes both ways. If you were a retailer, would you rather carry a product from a manufacturer that's going to provide preferential support to you and your customers or a manufacturer that's going to treat your customers and the guy that buys from mail-order schmoes the same?
Old 12-09-14, 06:05 PM

They absolutely could and I'm sure that some do... but many, in support of their local distribution, provide more direct service, convenient service. It depends (haven't you been paying attention?) and it goes both ways. If you were a retailer, would you rather carry a product from a manufacturer that's going to provide preferential support to you and your customers or a manufacturer that's going to treat your customers and the guy that buys from mail-order schmoes the same?
Understand I'm not talking about right and wrong, good and bad marketing. I'm just talking about what is the actual situation with these UK retailers. That is something we could benefit by knowing. People like these guys for buying stuff from them. Let's find out what the warranty situation is with them. I volunteer.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-09-14, 06:25 PM

Understand I'm not talking about right and wrong, good and bad marketing. I'm just talking about what is the actual situation with these UK retailers. That is something we could benefit by knowing. People like these guys for buying stuff from them. Let's find out what the warranty situation is with them. I volunteer.
If you have that kind of time and ambition, knock yourself out, but I don't see what the point is - anybody seeking warranty replacement is going to have to call for an RMA and whatnot on a case-by-case basis, anyway. Even if you're talking about finding out for the sake of future purchasing decisions, again, the answer today from vendor X about product Y from manufacturer Z isn't necessarily going to mean something relevant in the future. If warranty is something that's important to an individual, it's something that should be looked in to at the time of purchase, not abstractly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.