Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Netflix TdF 2022 documentary--they still race bikes, you know!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Netflix TdF 2022 documentary--they still race bikes, you know!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 04:00 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,270 Times in 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Maybe the conflict was exaggerated a bit by the way it was edited, but his own words in the bus made it clear that there was some conflict in his head. The way WVA gutted himself on the last climb to benefit Jonas left no doubt where his loyalty was in the end.
Old 06-12-23, 04:55 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,257 Posts
Exactly. Without conflict, there is no story.
Old 06-12-23, 06:35 PM
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
I'm only peripherally interested in the TdF, but a former coworker of mine lived for it. He'd be 76 by now, still races locally. I guess I'm somewhat less impressed with the state of things these days, compared to the Olde Days. Like F1 and NASCAR, there's little peligro de muerte anymore to spice things up. I brought this up with my coworker, and he was horrified.
Old 06-12-23, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Maybe the conflict was exaggerated a bit by the way it was edited, but his own words in the bus made it clear that there was some conflict in his head. The way WVA gutted himself on the last climb to benefit Jonas left no doubt where his loyalty was in the end.
What do I know, but the "conflict" seems to ring true, and I don't think it's really reflects negatively on Wout. He's clear about his intentions. The team clearly know Wout and his ambitions. No doubt there were some at least mild disagreements about tactics, but Wout also clearly saved Jonas' GC more than once. The show illustrates this really well and so I think presents a balanced view of the team dynamic.
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 06-13-23, 09:43 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by arex
Like F1 and NASCAR, there's little peligro de muerte anymore to spice things up.
If you think bike racing isn't dangerous, you aren't paying attention.
Old 06-13-23, 06:09 PM
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

If you think bike racing isn't dangerous, you aren't paying attention.
Of course, there's risk involved with any activity...not disputing that. However, back in the old days, there were brains splattered on the road left and right, quite literally. It's different these days, that's all I'm saying.
Likes For arex:
Old 06-13-23, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 232 Posts
Of course, there's risk involved with any activity...not disputing that. However, back in the old days, there were brains splattered on the road left and right, quite literally. It's different these days, that's all I'm saying.
You sure write a convincing story.
Did you pick up some splattered brain matter found on both sides of the road and stuff it into your hole from a lobotomy?

Pray for ai bikey forum.
Old 06-13-23, 10:40 PM
Habitual User

I’ve been watching bike racing since before riders started wearing helmets. I do not recall a significant amount of deaths due to race crashes. Humans don’t generally survive when their brains are splattered on the road.

Personally, I like that race cars are safer than ever. Roman Grosjean’s F1 crash a couple of years ago was shocking. If he was killed, it would not have made it more exciting. Grosjean being able to walk away from his shattered, burning car was the right kind of exciting.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-13-23 at 10:55 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-14-23, 03:58 AM
Abuse Magnet

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
You sure write a convincing story.
Did you pick up some splattered brain matter found on both sides of the road and stuff it into your hole from a lobotomy?

Pray for ai bikey forum.
Okay, buddy!
Old 06-14-23, 04:28 AM
Abuse Magnet

I’ve been watching bike racing since before riders started wearing helmets. I do not recall a significant amount of deaths due to race crashes. Humans don’t generally survive when their brains are splattered on the road.

Personally, I like that race cars are safer than ever. Roman Grosjean’s F1 crash a couple of years ago was shocking. If he was killed, it would not have made it more exciting. Grosjean being able to walk away from his shattered, burning car was the right kind of exciting.
Oh, I agree...safety should be paramount. I'm not saying anyone needs to die for our entertainment...this isn't imperial Rome. The safety measures implemented in NASCAR and F1 are nothing short of astounding, and the cars are going faster than ever.

And yeah, I overstated things a bit in the TdF of yore. However, back then, the routes were relatively "ungroomed"...poor surfaces (rocky dirt roads through the high mountains, etc.), stupid spectators running amok, inferior safety equipment (when it was used at all), inferior brakes (relative to today's brakes), etc. No, riders weren't dying every hundred yards or anything, but they were definitely getting badly injured a lot more, and there were certainly more deaths.

And, unfortunately, humans in general are attracted to such spectacles. WRC and the Isle of Man TT are both enormously popular. Both are much safer than they used to be, but they're still enormously dangerous.
Old 06-14-23, 07:01 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I've been enjoying the series as I really enjoyed watching the Tour last year. I thought Jumbo Vismo's strategy in taking out Pogacar was fascinating and haven't seen racing like that in years. Does the series have a great story line and plot? no, but it's entertaining enough and gives people who probably know nothing about bike racing, an inside look at the drama and action they never knew existed.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 06-15-23, 01:26 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
For the first couple episodes I kind of "meh" Then I saw a tip on Twitter to turn off the dubbing and watch in in the original French with subtitles. It's vastly better that way.
Does the French version dub over the English speaking parts? (I do understand that most Europeans speak multiple languages. I'm just curious.)

I find that I can't read fast enough to keep up with subtitles without matching audio. I even have trouble with English subtitles when the dubbed English doesn't match, like in Squid Game.

I binged the first four episodes tonight. I'll watch the rest very soon. I'd definitely watch a series like this every June.
Old 06-15-23, 03:59 AM
Phyllo-buster

Subtitles are the only way to go, as long as they're done well. VO dubs are simply distracting.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-15-23, 04:39 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 2,222 Times in 1,107 Posts
The VO is distracting. I don't understand why the VO isn't louder. They sound nearly at the same level. I too can't read the text fast enough besides not watching the actually video!
As good as the series was, I think they could do better in terms of exploring the strategies to a greater extent and capturing more drama.

Didn't watch '23s race so maybe there wasn't any more than what was shown. Previous years of watching satisfied my interest. Recaps typically had me wanting more.

Use of bike mounted cameras have added a marginal improvement. The issue with them is the camera movement. If there was equivalent stabilization as those on the motorcycles, it would be huge. That is just more weight or more SW development.
Really don't want to see individual performance suffer from the application of too much tech or add to injuries.
Old 06-15-23, 07:32 AM
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by SJX426
The VO is distracting. I don't understand why the VO isn't louder.
I've edited and packaged many documentaries for international markets. The problem with audio stems from a combination of varied audio mix standards and the limiters and gains that are inherent within each network streaming, delivery and compression system. Producers routinely have to make several Masters as part of the deliverable boilerplates. It's ugly. Cinemas have it even worse with surround sound in theatres.
I miss stereo mixes.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-15-23, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I've edited and packaged many documentaries for international markets. The problem with audio stems from a combination of varied audio mix standards and the limiters and gains that are inherent within each network streaming, delivery and compression system. Producers routinely have to make several Masters as part of the deliverable boilerplates. It's ugly. Cinemas have it even worse with surround sound in theatres.
I miss stereo mixes.
I know I'm not the only one who finds that music and audio FX often overwhelm VO and dialog in a lot of film and TV these days. Christopher Nolan's films are an extreme case, though if I wrote dialog like that in 'Tenet,' I'd bury it in the mix too.

We're watching the TdF series in original language with subtitles; no problem as we're fast readers though the cutting rhythm makes them go by quickly. In fact sometimes the mix makes the actual English harder to grasp. This is particularly the case in the B-roll, where understandably the micing isnt't ideal. Is the VO and dialog mixed higher in the dubbed version?

BTW there is a good reason that this show is reminiscent of 'F1: Drive to Survive:' it is co-produced by James Gay-Rees and his company Box to Box, which did not only 'Drive to Survive,' but many other epic sports docs. Also, early in his career, the clever Banksy doc 'Exit Through the Gift Shop.' Gay-Rees was on last week's episode of Geraint Thomas' podcast 'Watts Occurring.' G and his buddy Luke Rowe spend most of the show in matey talk but there are some good insights from Gay-Rees.
Also, as of last week a second series of 'Unchained' wasn't confirmed, but now it is!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-15-23, 12:03 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by SJX426
Didn't watch '23s race...
No one has. It doesn't start until next month
Old 06-15-23, 01:20 PM

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 284 Posts
I finally watched E6, about Jasper Philipsen, and I thought it did a better job at getting into the mechanics of what actually goes on in a race, and a sprint stage in particular. With limited sprint stages, and a break up the road, how much do the teams with sprinters push the pace in the peloton to make the catch, and those with GC ambitions don't (and even block the road to keep the pace down and save their GC guys legs). And more about Van Aert staying and helping Fulgsang after the crash vs staying up front to contest the stage. I.e. less fake drama and more real race drama.

Maybe for season 2 they could bring in Cosmo Catalano to direct. Then it could be 100% racecraft analysis.
Old 06-15-23, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 232 Posts
Its about time to bring back real sizzle.
Refreshing~~~~~
https://www.outkick.com/instagram-su...ce-influencer/
Old 06-16-23, 08:15 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,123 Posts
Great series and I’m ready for The Tour. The confidential interviews and the fly on the wall stuff was pretty cool. It reminded me of watching “Big Brother”.
Old 06-16-23, 09:22 PM
Habitual User

Oh, I agree...safety should be paramount. I'm not saying anyone needs to die for our entertainment...this isn't imperial Rome. The safety measures implemented in NASCAR and F1 are nothing short of astounding, and the cars are going faster than ever.

And yeah, I overstated things a bit in the TdF of yore. However, back then, the routes were relatively "ungroomed"...poor surfaces (rocky dirt roads through the high mountains, etc.), stupid spectators running amok, inferior safety equipment (when it was used at all), inferior brakes (relative to today's brakes), etc. No, riders weren't dying every hundred yards or anything, but they were definitely getting badly injured a lot more, and there were certainly more deaths.

And, unfortunately, humans in general are attracted to such spectacles. WRC and the Isle of Man TT are both enormously popular. Both are much safer than they used to be, but they're still enormously dangerous.
Deaths don’t make racing more exciting.

RIP Gino Mader. 😢
Old 06-18-23, 07:05 PM
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 48 Posts
Spoiler alert...

Originally Posted by Classtime
We’re enjoying it. montclairbobbyb please edit your spoiler for those that didn’t/don’t follow racing. It would be neat if the real time broadcast could collect and share some of the bike-camera views for sprints, crashes, close calls, etc.
For those who follow this forum, but who actually DIDN'T have a clue that Jonas won the TdF in 2022, yet who are watching the documentary as if to learn there was a TdF in 2022 (I can't believe such a person exists), let me say "sorry for the spoiler"... but truthfully that's ridiculous, get over it.
​​

Last edited by montclairbobbyb; 06-20-23 at 06:01 AM.
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 06-18-23, 07:06 PM
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 48 Posts
Sorry for the snarkiness...
Old 06-19-23, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wow this thread didn't age well.
Old 06-19-23, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Does the French version dub over the English speaking parts? (I do understand that most Europeans speak multiple languages. I'm just curious.)

I find that I can't read fast enough to keep up with subtitles without matching audio. I even have trouble with English subtitles when the dubbed English doesn't match, like in Squid Game.

I binged the first four episodes tonight. I'll watch the rest very soon. I'd definitely watch a series like this every June.
I binged the whole thing in a day... Agree, a slightly documentary style wrap up every few years would be something to look forward to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.