Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Does Chain Length Affect SI?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How Does Chain Length Affect SI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2514 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,701 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
It's a metaphor. How do the chains (of capitalism) affect the Solomon Islands (SI)? OP is trying to start a discussion regarding how the economic imperialism of western nations contributed to the widespread economic, political and social instability experienced by many former colonial possession upon gaining Independence, which is illustrated by the ethnic violence between the Guales and Malaitans in the late 1990s, and how modern day expansion of Chinese business interests continues to contribute to the instability in the region.

When OP refers to splitting the chain, and then shortening it, he is referring to the frequent need for deployment of Australian and New Zealand troops to the region to quell simmering ethnic tensions. Yes, it solves the immediate problem, but fails to address the underlying conditions leading to the problems in the first place.

Take it to Living Car Free (see the Drinking Water thread).
Old 06-19-18, 01:43 PM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Take it to Living Car Free (see the Drinking Water thread).
Ugh. There's 5 minutes I'll never have back.
Old 06-19-18, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
It's a metaphor. How do the chains (of capitalism) affect the Solomon Islands (SI)? OP is trying to start a discussion regarding how the economic imperialism of western nations contributed to the widespread economic, political and social instability experienced by many former colonial possession upon gaining Independence, which is illustrated by the ethnic violence between the Guales and Malaitans in the late 1990s, and how modern day expansion of Chinese business interests continues to contribute to the instability in the region.

When OP refers to splitting the chain, and then shortening it, he is referring to the frequent need for deployment of Australian and New Zealand troops to the region to quell simmering ethnic tensions. Yes, it solves the immediate problem, but fails to address the underlying conditions leading to the problems in the first place.

Ah that makes perfect sense. I figured OP was referring to various piercing and body mutilation techniques intended for the Sexual Intercourse forum.
Old 06-20-18, 03:12 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3599 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 1,947 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
[left]In my business “SI” is an acronym for “suicidal ideation” - we use it all the time.
You must be in health care. So was I. Of course, there's also «Système Internationale» aka "metric system."
Old 06-20-18, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3389 Post(s)
Liked 5,562 Times in 2,886 Posts
International System of Units (SI, abbreviated from the French Système International (d'unités))
Old 06-22-18, 04:42 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Interesting that the OP never responded. I think this is a question that can’t be answered.
Old 06-22-18, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Considering that the side plates have gotten thinner to make the chains narrow, I suspect narrow chains have much less friction between the side plate and pin than they did on 7 speed chains.
I just measured the side plates on my 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed chains. They vary a little by brand but are all very close to the same thickness. It’s the bushings between the plates are what vary in size. That’s why the myth the narrow chains break more often is just that, a myth.

Last edited by busdriver1959; 06-22-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,858 Times in 1,555 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Interesting that the OP never responded. I think this is a question that can’t be answered.
he responded in a build your bike thread in mechanics he meant SIS so shimano indexed

Old 06-22-18, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
he responded in a build your bike thread in mechanics he meant SIS so shimano indexed
Oh, ---- ok.
Old 06-22-18, 10:30 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
Si is the Spanish word for yes. It is also the French word for yes if in response to a negative question.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-22-18, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,615 Times in 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959

I just measured the side plates on my 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed chains. They vary a little by brand but are all very close to the same thickness. It’s the bushings between the plates are what vary in size. That’s why the myth the narrow chains break more often is just that, a myth.
That's incorrect:

7 speed chain bushing - .092" 10 speed chain bushing - .090"
7 speed side plate thickness - .049" 10 speed side plate thickness - .030"

The bushings can't have gotten narrower because chainring teeth haven't gotten narrower. You can run an 11 speed chain on a 1980s six speed chainring.
Old 06-22-18, 01:31 PM

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 492 Posts

Thank you for that. All is now clear and my mind is at rest.
Old 06-22-18, 01:41 PM
Old fart

The bushings can't have gotten narrower because chainring teeth haven't gotten narrower. You can run an 11 speed chain on a 1980s six speed chainring.
Yes, you can. But then you risk jamming the chain between the rings when shifting between them. Better to use a 7-speed chain with a vintage crank, if at all possible.
Old 06-22-18, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, you can. But then you risk jamming the chain between the rings when shifting between them. Better to use a 7-speed chain with a vintage crank, if at all possible.
If you say so. Campy's chainring spacing only shrunk by .25mm, and Shimano's 11 speed chainrings are spaced wider apart than their 10. People have been claiming something like this since 7 speed came out, but there doesn't appear to be much to it.

None of which has anything to do with bushing width, which was the point I was making - 11 speed chains will work fine on any multispeed crank's chainring tooth profile going back to those for 5 speed chains. The chains got narrower by thinning the plates, which necessitated different pins because of the decreased contact.
Old 06-22-18, 02:18 PM
Old fart

If you say so. Campy's chainring spacing only shrunk by .25mm, and Shimano's 11 speed chainrings are spaced wider apart than their 10. People have been claiming something like this since 7 speed came out, but there doesn't appear to be much to it.
FWIW, I have personal experience with this happening, using a TA Pro-5 crank and a 9-speed chain.

None of which has anything to do with bushing width
Point taken. Signing off.
Old 06-22-18, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
FWIW, I have personal experience with this happening, using a TA Pro-5 crank and a 9-speed chain.
You can jam a chain of any width in the open gap between spider arms. I just don't think the danger of doing so with 11 speed chains is that much greater than it was with your 9 speed chain or a 7 speed chain.
Old 06-22-18, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,998 Posts
When SIS came out We called it sissy shifting.
Old 06-22-18, 02:50 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
The wider chainring spacing of today's compact cranksets is not an issue since the big ring now has it's inner surface heavily ramped and thus further offset from the plane of the teeth than on traditional chainrings.
The actual space between the small ring's teeth and the inner surface of the big ring at the outer radius of the small ring is what will affect the possibility of the chain slipping between rings.

I've retrofit modern 9s chain to a lot of very old bikes, some work perfectly while some allow a narrower chain to jam between rings or to merely skate along the tips of the teeth, depending on the model of crankset and to a seemingly lesser degree on the size difference of the two rings.
I once had a new 9s chain almost immediately get stuck between shimano 600 6s-era chainrings and gore the chainstay of a brand new Cannondale frame, so won't easily forget that.

I have yet to see a modern chain fit too tightly on a vintage bike's chainring teeth, but some "semi-modern" chains (from the 7s era) did actually have that issue because of too-narrow bushings. Those were brands no longer offered so of no concern today, and I suppose they were having difficulty maintaining a large enough inside width as they had to redesign the outside width for the then-new Ultra or 7s cog spacing.

Last edited by dddd; 06-22-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,858 Times in 1,555 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
When SIS came out We called it sissy shifting.
This is a bit like the command line unix/linux guys refusing to use a GUI editor. and VI is a terrible editor (fighting words for some )

Old 06-22-18, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Perhaps this is asking about the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue? That can affect chain length.
Isn't that more relevant to crank length?......
Old 06-22-18, 09:42 PM
Old fart

This is a bit like the command line unix/linux guys refusing to use a GUI editor. and VI is a terrible editor (fighting words for some )
Maybe so, but vim is pretty awesome, with context sensitive syntax highlighting, etc.
Old 06-23-18, 06:07 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Isn't that more relevant to crank length?......
Hmmm that's a new take on laterally stiff and vertically compliant...
Old 06-25-18, 02:15 AM

Bikes: Hetchins, Dawes, Raleigh, Holdsworth, Standard Cycle Co, and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
All this fuss over a typo

When I started this thread I was actually expecting a technical response. Its like being back at university, where every double-entendre is seized upon, and the original question is lost.

As I think everybody knew I should have typed SIS, but clearly no-one has a credible explanation. Please prove me wrong
Old 06-25-18, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by johnggold
When I started this thread I was actually expecting a technical response. Its like being back at university, where every double-entendre is seized upon, and the original question is lost.

As I think everybody knew I should have typed SIS, but clearly no-one has a credible explanation. Please prove me wrong
No, none of us knew you meant SIS, because no one uses that term to refer to indexing any more. And then you didn't respond to your own thread. Where you back in 1988?

Despite that, a few of us did have technical discussion about shifting accuracy and chain length. Did you read it?
Old 06-25-18, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Hetchins, Dawes, Raleigh, Holdsworth, Standard Cycle Co, and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
This was not a question about shifting accuracy, although the conversation went that way. It was about why chain length, not its specification, was the sole factor in preventing access to all gears in such a major way, by reducing the throw distance of the derailleur.

Since I deal with vintage bikes in the main, SIS is considered modern. Mostly I build with friction shifters, although I do like to replace the downtube shifters with handlebar shifters. Since mostly, I am restoring the frame, then brazing a double guide on the frame downtube, and cutting off the old stubs is my preferred route.

The SIS technology may now be superceded, but that does not impact on its name, unless you want to start calling SIS a "legacy" product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.