Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I remove fixed cup?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Should I remove fixed cup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 04:49 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Trust me those fixed cup were to be avoided at all costs.
They are bad enough not the adjustable cup side. They are even seeing something of a resurgence on HelMart bikes...just not on the fixed cup side.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-12-21, 08:30 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Okay. Learn something new all the time. It’s still very, very rare considering that I’ve laid hands on north of 15,000 bikes at my local co-op over the last 10 years and have never seen one. It’s also unlikely that Spellscape’s Motobecane has that kind of fixed cup.

...outside your personal experience is not "rare". It's outside your personal experience. Thanks for taking this so gracefully. *sigh*
Yes, it is very, very unlikely that this will be at all similar as a fixed cup. if for no other reason than the threading is reversed. . Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-12-21, 09:19 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...outside your personal experience is not "rare". It's outside your personal experience. Thanks for taking this so gracefully. *sigh*
Yes, it is very, very unlikely that this will be at all similar as a fixed cup. if for no other reason than the threading is reversed. . Thank you for pointing that out.
My personal experience is quite extensive. 10 years of Saturdays at my local co-op working on around 30 bike per Saturday. That’s around 15,000 bikes. I’ve seen bikes from the 50s to the 2010s.

I’ve seen Indian...country not company... bicycles with rod brakes and a few Woods valves. I’ve even worked on some older and newer Raleighs and never noticed them having any on the fixed cup side that was anything other than the relatively standard 36mm fixed cup.

I’ve also seen a lot of Motobecanes that aren’t from Bikes Direct,and it is highly unlikely that a Motobecane is going to have that kind of fixed cup.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-12-21 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Old 03-13-21, 01:00 AM

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts

My fixed cup
Old 03-14-21, 05:42 AM

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Death by Fixed cup.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My personal experience is quite extensive. 10 years of Saturdays at my local co-op working on around 30 bike per Saturday. That’s around 15,000 bikes. I’ve seen bikes from the 50s to the 2010s.

I’ve seen Indian...country not company... bicycles with rod brakes and a few Woods valves. I’ve even worked on some older and newer Raleighs and never noticed them having any on the fixed cup side that was anything other than the relatively standard 36mm fixed cup.

I’ve also seen a lot of Motobecanes that aren’t from Bikes Direct,and it is highly unlikely that a Motobecane is going to have that kind of fixed cup.
So many Raleigh's were killed off by this configuration. You could not get them out so folks just replaced/repacked the non-drive side and rode the bikes into the ground. A LBS would take one look and say give me $100 or forget it. If you knew them really well they would lend you the SST to do it yourself.If they held the Special Service Tool ( SST ) it was poss if done regularly but what kid could afford that. Many things stupid conspired to destroy the British bike industry - these cups did their bit, let me tell you.
Happily the OP's fixed cup isn't old school and should be a snap if turned the correct direction.

Last edited by Johno59; 03-14-21 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-14-21, 07:33 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
So many Raleigh's were killed off by this configuration. You could not get them out so folks just replaced/repacked the non-drive side and rode the bikes into the ground.
The BikeSmithDesign tool referenced by @oneclick above gets them out just fine. Once out, the concern becomes finding a 1-3/8" x 26tpi replacement cup.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 03-14-21 at 07:37 AM.