Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We may be nuts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We may be nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
what happened to those real winters?

Seriously, even in Canada (Toronto area), you don't get real winters any more. It's more like 30-40 degrees most of the time, and then some sucky wet 10-20 for a day or two every other week.
I would have agreed with you up until this winter. It feels like it's been miserable since December. I'm probably forgetting about some warm patches but this winter has reminded me of the weather 10+ years ago. I'm also living 45 min north of the city which means 5 deg colder and more snow.
Old 02-19-13, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Yesterday, I was almost home from my 40-mile loop waiting for the lights, a car pulled up next to me, the driver rolled down the window and said to me "are you nuts riding in this weather?" I looked down, my Garmin showing temp at 22 degrees, and the wind was blowing pretty constantly at about 25 mph, I thought to myself, may be we are.

But I really enjoyed the hot shower afterwards.
I also rode (24 miles) the morning of 2/17/13. It was pretty cold and windy but definitely doable. I believe that I'm perfectly sane. Nuts!!!??? What about the guy that I passed who was jogging in running shorts (bare legs)!!
Old 02-19-13, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These indoor types who like it 72 degrees 24/7 don't know what they're missing. Cold is bracing and invigorating, and keeps you healthy. I can't stand the heat and love to be out in chilly weather. I also love skiing in Colorado when it's -10 at the lifts (very comfortable dry cold), and winter hiking in the Appalachians when it snows.

As everyone has said, it's all in how you dress. Layers are everything.

And of course, exercise keeps you fitter and mentally sharper than the couch potatoes. Wimps!

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Friggin 34 degrees, and a 25 mph wind riding in Florida yesterday morning.

Fortunately, I ride in weather like that once maybe twice a year.
Just like a Floridian.
Old 02-19-13, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rather ride out in the cold than indoors on a trainer or rollers. I'm comfortable down to 15 degrees F.