Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New bike at 70?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New bike at 70?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
I did it. I didn’t go far from my Merlin, though I’m back to steel.
Tommassini XFire
By the looks of the tubing, I'd think it is an aluminum frame. I love that bigger diameter tubing giving it a beefier, more substantial look. Also the classic geometry is just right, no sloping top tube which I don't like on bikes.

Is that a chrome or buffed polished finish of the stainless steel? I suppose the chrome is way more durable than the usual paint finish?

Last edited by vane171; 04-30-21 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-30-21, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Hey, i am 82 and used my age as an excuse to buy a Vado SL 5.0 early last September. Yesterday I passed the 1500 mile mark 😎
Old 05-01-21, 07:39 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
At the risk of being an enabler, I encourage OP to get a new bike at 70 years old.
And not just because his current bike is 28 years old, although that's all the rationale it should take: good god man, modern bikes are so different from your Merlin (I'm not going to say they're "better" but a compelling argument could be made) that for the experience alone it'd be worth it.

Hell, when I hit 70 (if I don't get another bike between now and then) my oldest bike will only be ~20 years old, but you can be damned sure I'll still be thinking about N+1!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-01-21, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Stainless steel
By the way, the Merlin is a spectacular ride. Yes, this Tommassini is stiffer, lighter by 4 pounds and has better forks and wheels, accommodates wider tires....but that Merlin holds its own.

Last edited by jleeg; 05-01-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 04:34 PM

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Well when I reach 82 like yrreg in the above post an e-bike is certainly something I would consider.

Not 70 but I just turned 60 yesterday and today I rode my new Marin gravel bike conversion I built last year. I call it my "covid cruiser" since my wife was receiving the extra $600/month in unemployment which financed much of the project. I'm hoping it's "new tech" enough so I don't have to upgrade it in another ten years.

Anyway my newest bike project is a '50's-era Raleigh Sports I'm hoping to modernize to make it more ridable while keeping it a 3-speed and true to it's vintage vibe (probably with drum brakes rather than disc). I consider a bike like this a timeless classic that never goes out of style and I can still ride it when I'm old and feeble.
Likes For smurfy:
Old 05-02-21, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I'm 75, was riding Italian race bikes (Gios, etc.) back in the eighties, then bought a mountain bike thirty years ago and just rode it. Finally got the urge to ride the street again, and 6 years ago bought a Bike Nashbar Al1, which was a pretty good bike for the money. Alu frame mostly Sora components. Naturally it now has carbon wheels an mostly Ultegra. Like putting lipstick on a cow.

Last year I bought a Trek Cronos, a carbon fiber gravel/cyclocross bike. I love that thing, and it's super fun to ride.

Have some fun.
Old 05-06-21, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
When in doubt, always buy the bike. You'll love it.
Likes For jackb:
Old 05-06-21, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
TIG welded stainless steel. Columbus XCr I believe. That is very high end and expensive tubing.