Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How far can you walk in a day?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How far can you walk in a day?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 01:35 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
I averaged 20 mpd for 135 days on my Pacific crest trail thru hike last summer. Longest day was 37 and shortest was 12. Average weight carried was 22 lbs. I was 61. As much as I love cycling this trip was the best time I've ever had.
That's a wonderful accomplishment! I see your from Michigan. Do you ever do any hiking here? I have done day hikes in many parts of the state. My longest was a couple nights along Lake Superior at Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-02-17, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
That's a wonderful accomplishment! I see your from Michigan. Do you ever do any hiking here? I have done day hikes in many parts of the state. My longest was a couple nights along Lake Superior at Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore.
Thanks!
In the southern LP where I live it's much better cycling than hiking. I would like to do pictured rocks sometime, probably one of the better hikes in mi. Addicted to high mountain hiking now. Continental divide trail is up next.
Cycling will always be my first love but I'm really enjoying disappearing into the mountains for the warm months now that I Have the time. No impatient motorists back there.
Old 01-02-17, 06:29 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've run 31 miles, once in 5 hours and once in 6 (and did very little walking for the rest of the day!), but I never walked that far. Even back packing I don't think I ever went over 10 miles in a day. When I lived in Salem, OR I walked everywhere but have no idea how many miles any of it came to. It is probably my favorite mode of transportation.
Old 01-04-17, 08:08 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Then I realized I was probably breathing polluted air with carcinogenic car exhaust humes all day long when hiking. So I quit walking in urban area.
The air inside the car is as bad or worse. The only benefit of driving to work might be that you are exposed to it for a shorter time.

Last edited by cooker; 01-04-17 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
FWIW, I walked 1,116 miles in 2016, which was a typical year for me. That averages out to 3 miles/day or 21.5 miles/week. I do a lot of walking on work days, during my lunch hour and breaks. I walk up the stairs rather than taking the elevator 99% of the time. On days that I don't cycle, I typically walk at least 4-5 miles, and it's not unusual for me to walk 8-10 miles on weekends and during vacations. Even on days that I ride to work, I often walk 3-4 miles during the work day. Needless to say, I like to walk. Backpacking and hiking were my first real involvement with sports that I actually enjoyed.

When I was in grad school, I backpacked the entire Long Trail in Vermont one summer. The total mileage was at least 300 miles, including side trips into towns for food and supplies, and it took me about 6-8 weeks. I was probably in the best shape of my life after that trip, carrying about 40 lbs on my back and hiking 8-20+ miles a day. My girlfriend (now wife) hiked the first half of the trip with me. I really wanted to hike the entire Appalachian Trail at that time in my life, but couldn't figure out how to pay for it. In retrospect, I should have asked my parents!

Last edited by tarwheel; 01-04-17 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 11:00 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
When I worked for the National Park Service, I hiked out from my backstation every other week, usually carrying up to 50 lbs. of gear. It was 38 miles which took me 9.5 hours. Going back in, I took a shorter route, only 18 miles because I would be carrying more weight.

Anish hiked the 800 mile Arizona Trail last October in under 20 days, unsupported. That's the fastest known time (FTK) for that trail. She also holds the unsupported records for the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail. She just loves to hike. Here's Anish talking about her PCT hike:
Woman breaks an all-time fastest Pacific Crest Trail record ? High Country News
Old 01-04-17, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Seems like most of the cost is from food.

Could've live on snickers bars and ramen noodles, to keep it cheap, when you're young and your body can take any kind of abuse.
Food plus the cost for occasional stays in hotels and laundry. I paid my own way through college, so money was dear at that time in my life. When I did make more money working summer jobs, I needed to save as much as possible to pay for tuition, fees and rent. In retrospect, I wish that I had taken the time to hike the AT and found a way to pay for it, but that's a hard decision to make when you're trying to work your way through college.

I will be retiring soon and hope to do some of the things that I couldn't afford to -- time or moneywise -- when I was younger. I no longer desire to hike the AT, but I would still like to ride my bike across the USA. I might very well do that if my wife doesn't object too strongly.
Old 01-06-17, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
For a few weeks I was walking to and from work because injury prevented me from riding my bike and transit did not work out because I could not stand on a moving bus. A few people looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they would let me have one of the disable seats.

Walking to work was about 4 miles and I walked at 13:00-14:30 minutes/mile pace. Avg heart rate 117 BPM, max 155 BPM, on the one walk I did log using Strava. Taking the bus to work would have taken me about 50-60 minutes, so walking is not much different at this pace.

I think the biggest annoyance was walking through Golden Gate Park and the way the walking paths require me to cross the street every hundred ft. In 0.5mi/800m I had to cross the street 6 times because the sidewalk changes sides. In one part there is no sidewalk for about 300ft/100m. It is not pleasant to cross the street despite the street is inside a park because morning automotive commute traffic is crazy - driver are not looking for pedestrian and drivers always using their cars to block the crosswalks. It also made me realize how bad GG Park is for walking - I never knew the layout was like this.
Old 01-06-17, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
According to a co-worker's Fit-Bit, I walk roughly 36 miles per 10 hour shift at work. I never realized it was this much, probably because I'm not strictly walking. I guess that would explain why I've worn out shoes so quickly in the 2 years I've worked there.
Old 01-06-17, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
According to a co-worker's Fit-Bit, I walk roughly 36 miles per 10 hour shift at work. I never realized it was this much, probably because I'm not strictly walking. I guess that would explain why I've worn out shoes so quickly in the 2 years I've worked there.
I wouldn't trust that fit-bit info... If you stop for 1/2 Hr lunch and 2X15minute coffee breaks, that's 9Hrs to do 36miles, walking at 4MPH for 9 Hrs is... work, hard work...
Old 01-06-17, 11:16 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Fit-Bit is not accurate. They're facing lawsuits for that.
More info on Fit-Bit class action lawsuit:

"The complaints in the lawsuit apply specifically to Fitbit’s constant heart rate monitoring technology, which the company calls “PurePulse.” It does not make any claims regarding how Fitbit’s products perform in other areas, such as step counting, distance tracking, and sleep monitoring. The Surge, Charge HR, and Blaze are the only Fitbit devices that include the technology in question."

Fitbit Lawsuit: 4 Things to Know
Old 01-06-17, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Fit-Bit is not accurate. They're facing lawsuits for that.

I really doubt you walked that much in a day.
Extremely fast and fit hikers can do 36 miles a day, day after day (doing nothing but hike) and I'm sure they're exhausted at end of each day.

What kind of work do you do?
I'm not sure of their accountability/accuracy, and to be honest I considered that number to be over exaggerated. That said, I do work in a very large warehouse and do A LOT of walking 10-12 hrs a day - Still, I would guess overall distance for a given 10 hour day would be about half of what his Fit Bit reported. Anyway, my point was that when you're not walking a straight 2 (or "insert distance here") miles it really doesn't seem like much. Another example, I have hiked 20 miles in the woods and not even notice I covered that much ground, but when I run 2 miles up the road and back I'm constantly thinking I should have reached my turn around point although I haven't even gone a mile yet. Maybe this goes back to my XC days, I could never run on a school track but had no problem trail running.
Old 01-07-17, 01:37 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not sure of their accountability/accuracy, and to be honest I considered that number to be over exaggerated. That said, I do work in a very large warehouse and do A LOT of walking 10-12 hrs a day - Still, I would guess overall distance for a given 10 hour day would be about half of what his Fit Bit reported. Anyway, my point was that when you're not walking a straight 2 (or "insert distance here") miles it really doesn't seem like much. Another example, I have hiked 20 miles in the woods and not even notice I covered that much ground, but when I run 2 miles up the road and back I'm constantly thinking I should have reached my turn around point although I haven't even gone a mile yet. Maybe this goes back to my XC days, I could never run on a school track but had no problem trail running.
If you're walking to get somewhere quickly or to meet a schedule, it can seem like it takes forever. But if you're "just walking" the miles can roll by without your really being aware if them. (Same is true of cycling and I assume running.)

The perception of time as it relates to human powered transportation is an extremely interesting topic IMO. Actually, I often think about it while I'm walking or riding!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-07-17, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Figure it out. You are talkikng about an average of 3.6 mph for that 10 hours. Does your shift include any breaks, or when you stop to fill out forms? If so, add another 0.4mph (let's say), so your moving average now becomes 4mph. That is a fast-paced walk, almost jogging... for hours on end. Do you do that?

The traditional style step counter is available on the shelves of places such as Walmart for around $20. The ones we have are fairly reliable once the length of the pace is programmed correctly.

Also, it must be realised that wearing a device that relies on impact to measure paces will give false readings if the wearer gets into a motor vehicle and travels any distance -- the jiggling of the car's suspension registers on the device.
Old 01-07-17, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
More info on Fit-Bit class action lawsuit:

"The complaints in the lawsuit apply specifically to Fitbit’s constant heart rate monitoring technology, which the company calls “PurePulse.” It does not make any claims regarding how Fitbit’s products perform in other areas, such as step counting, distance tracking, and sleep monitoring. The Surge, Charge HR, and Blaze are the only Fitbit devices that include the technology in question."

Fitbit Lawsuit: 4 Things to Know
The fact that the algorithms for heart rate (and therefore other outputs that rely on that) are suspect is the greater evil in the eyes of the lawsuit. That does not mean the other algorithms are accurate.
Old 01-07-17, 10:06 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The fact that the algorithms for heart rate (and therefore other outputs that rely on that) are suspect is the greater evil in the eyes of the lawsuit. That does not mean the other algorithms are accurate.
Correct, it also means that the Fit-Bit lawsuit has no bearing on the topic subject - walking distance. You as well I can speculate all we like, with or without out any evidence, about the accuracy of any device; have at it.
Old 01-07-17, 10:34 AM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I used to run marathons.

I walked out of the Bob Marshall Wilderness area a long time ago. Solo hiking, eating bugs and bark, catching fish by hand. A bear kept following me so after a few weeks of that I decided to get the heck out of there. I walked about 31 miles of very rugged terrain through blow downs and in the rain. In full pack. And a bear in pursuit. A real motivator.
Old 01-07-17, 10:40 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
67 miles a day:
The fastest run across the USA is 46 days 8 hr 36 min by Frank Giannino Jr (USA) (b. 1952) for the 4,989 km (3,100 miles) from San Francisco to New York from 1 September to 17 October 1980.

Old 01-11-17, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
67 miles a day:
The fastest run across the USA is 46 days 8 hr 36 min by Frank Giannino Jr (USA) (b. 1952) for the 4,989 km (3,100 miles) from San Francisco to New York from 1 September to 17 October 1980.
No more. New record is 72 miles a day. Pete Kostelnick 9/12/2010.