Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia RTL515 on City Roads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Varia RTL515 on City Roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 10:22 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Wahoo still does not as far as I know. I think they are working on it though. I have a Wahoo and it can not access the Bontrager light I have now, however Garmin's can.
Glad to read that I wasn't missing anything, thank you for the clarification.

It is a shame that Wahoo is not more aggressive with updating the OS to have full compatibility with such auxiliary devices. IMO, it would retain a loyal customer base & potentially gain new customers that want to stay with a simple bicycle computer setup.

I really wish I could create an additional live "map" in the page section, it only allows 1 map, & that is a hard loaded page from factory. Hopefully it is not able to ever be accidentally erased lol!
Old 04-26-22, 11:02 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
yea just thought it was odd they called out the Bontrager specifically and say without radar.
I'm guessing that is just a matter of popularity - at the time that was written, there weren't very many ANT+ Lights on the market besides the Bontrager offerings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-27-22, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,017 Posts
So I got my Varia in the mail today, setup, went for a ride tonight in my local area where it takes me through a fairly large business park area. I waited until after the vast majority of people pulled a snagglepuss, and exited stage left. I pretty much aged myself right there, anyway, this business park now has both business and residential condo's, so traffic can be somewhat light, to interstate like based on the time. Initially it was alarming off the chain, but once the traffic died off as I got more toward the residential area's, I really liked having the alarm knowing what was behind me. Also, getting the alarm through my headset, really made me more more aware of what was going on. I would not normally ride this area during the week due the heavy traffic that I would have to deal with initially, it's really pretty sketchy, but, on weekends and later at night, after 9 or so, I have no issues with it.

I can see where this is going to be a great tool, and when I turned back into my neighborhood and was almost home, I got an alarm, looked behind me and there was a car about 300 ft behind me. Yea this was a solid purchase I should have done earlier.

My only potential issue is that on my Emonda, I need to come up with a secure mounting point on my Topeak seat bag. I think if I mount it to my seat post, it will be too low and the rear tire will screw with the detection. I do not have a seat bag on my Domane, since it has the downtube storage, so that is not an issue, although I would like to find something else besides straps and the D shaped mount for the Domane, it just seems a little loose, and the smaller strap seemed over stretched.

Time for some web surfing. I am sure someone has printed a solution.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-27-22, 08:23 PM
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I use this on my Domane upper post (what’re that is called).

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Seat-p.../dp/B015CDO9EM
Old 04-27-22, 08:53 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
*Can the tail light version be setup to only use the radar only? If so, is it easy to do & is it a set it once & forget it or do you have to keep resetting it up each time to turn off the light function?
Yes the current 515 model can, and it’s as easy as pushing the mode button to cycle through to the light off/radar on mode. I don’t know if there’s mode memory such that it’ll return to that setting after being powered down and back on again. A GPLama Youtube video describes this “radar only” functionality of the 515; I’ve not verified it myself as I’ve not seen the need for the feature in my use-cases.
Old 04-27-22, 08:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I use this on my Domane upper post (what’re that is called).

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Seat-p.../dp/B015CDO9EM
yea I picked one of those up for my Emonda, but not sure if it will work on the D shaped post I have on my Domane, is your Domane D or round?

Old 04-27-22, 09:02 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Also, getting the alarm through my headset, really made me more more aware of what was going on.
Good gravy! I’m glad you like it, but man, having that incessant beeping in my ear hole would make me batty! I’m in the minority that can barely stand the Varia and which finds it of only particular and specific usefulness, but I also do a lot of group rides where multiple riders’ units create the most annoying chorus of redundant and frankly stupefying beeps quite contrary to the essential tranquility of cycling. For solo gravel, it’s cool enough, but any other ride and I’d just as well leave the Varia home.
Old 04-27-22, 09:05 PM

Interesting.... sort of a BOA dial mount, pretty much fit anything out there, but $40 .... keeps looking, but saves page.

https://komcycling.com/collections/g...in-varia-mount

Old 04-27-22, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by chaadster
Good gravy! I’m glad you like it, but man, having that incessant beeping in my ear hole would make me batty! I’m in the minority that can barely stand the Varia and which finds it of only particular and specific usefulness, but I also do a lot of group rides where multiple riders’ units create the most annoying chorus of redundant and frankly stupefying beeps quite contrary to the essential tranquility of cycling. For solo gravel, it’s cool enough, but any other ride and I’d just as well leave the Varia home.

Yea, when I was in heavy traffic , the alarming was not good, so I when I had to stop, I turned off the sound. When I got back to the more quiet area's, I turned it on, just to check things. I also found I could feel the vibration fairly well, so might just stick with that and leave the sound off.

Old 04-27-22, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Interesting.... sort of a BOA dial mount, pretty much fit anything out there, but $40 .... keeps looking, but saves page.

Somebody in a Varia thread got a quarter turn mount and glued it to the end of their seat bag. This looks like a better solution but I guess that's an option too.
Old 04-27-22, 10:24 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I just got the no-light version and put it on my Emonda 'seat mast cap' with the large rubber band. I mounted it upside down as that places it a bit more central between tyre and the saddle/integrated saddle light.

While that seems like it will hold fine when riding (road), I did notice that it's rather easy to twist the mount off centre when taking off/attaching the unit. The smaller rubber band is too tight to fit over the fat seat mast cap.

I have also come across a lot of talk of people tethering these things for additional security. Is this necessary? Do these Garmin rubber band mounts have a history of coming off, so that the aftermarket clamp mounts or an additional zip tie or tether are a good idea?
Old 04-27-22, 10:25 PM

Ok, so this is interesting. I have the Bontrager Integrated light on my Domane, so I could just mount the varia there and the light using the seat post mount it came with.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LN...li=marketplace

Old 04-27-22, 11:14 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Is there a seat rail adapter mount?
Old 04-28-22, 02:20 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
swear by my varia (non-light version). only negative i've encountered with it is that it will drain your garmin computer unit about 15-20% more than without it.
not an issue on a full charge and for rides lasting < 6 hours but on those long, all day, century rides, have gotten used to turning the varia off for certain
stretches to save the battery on my garmin edge. easy enough to reach down and turn on/off.
Old 04-28-22, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Is there a seat rail adapter mount?
I have come across some of those, but, for the Domane, it will block the tail light access and will not work on my Emonda as my seat bag is in the way, however, I did find this for the Emonda that will work quite well. It uses the mounting bolts on the bottom of the Bontrager Verse saddle I have and mimics light mount you can use and adds the varia mount and should give me enough clearance for the seat bag as it angles out

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6E...li=marketplace

Old 04-28-22, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
I have come across some of those, but, for the Domane, it will block the tail light access and will not work on my Emonda as my seat bag is in the way, however, I did find this for the Emonda that will work quite well. It uses the mounting bolts on the bottom of the Bontrager Verse saddle I have and mimics light mount you can use and adds the varia mount and should give me enough clearance for the seat bag as it angles out

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6E...li=marketplace
This might work on your saddle.

https://buplabs.com/collections/bike-mounts
Old 04-28-22, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This might work on your saddle.

https://buplabs.com/collections/bike-mounts
Yep, saw those, but will not work for me. I think I am going to go with the 3d printed option I found.

Old 04-28-22, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Yep, saw those, but will not work for me. I think I am going to go with the 3d printed option I found.
If your saddle is a current model, you might consider asking BUP about it. (They are 3D printing their mounts too.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-28-22, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
swear by my varia (non-light version). only negative i've encountered with it is that it will drain your garmin computer unit about 15-20% more than without it.
not an issue on a full charge and for rides lasting < 6 hours but on those long, all day, century rides, have gotten used to turning the varia off for certain
stretches to save the battery on my garmin edge. easy enough to reach down and turn on/off.
I know that, with some older models Edge units, the Varia could kick on the screen back light even when it was supposed to be off, which drained the battery significantly. My club mate with a 520 piggybacked on my Varia and had that problem; he had to disconnect about 4 hours in to a long ride. Did that ever get resolved via update?

I really couldn't say how much battery life difference the Varia makes with my 530 - it's no problem to run 8+ hours.
Old 04-28-22, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by yaw
I just got the no-light version and put it on my Emonda 'seat mast cap' with the large rubber band. I mounted it upside down as that places it a bit more central between tyre and the saddle/integrated saddle light.

While that seems like it will hold fine when riding (road), I did notice that it's rather easy to twist the mount off centre when taking off/attaching the unit. The smaller rubber band is too tight to fit over the fat seat mast cap.

I have also come across a lot of talk of people tethering these things for additional security. Is this necessary? Do these Garmin rubber band mounts have a history of coming off, so that the aftermarket clamp mounts or an additional zip tie or tether are a good idea?
I don't know if the bands are the primary concern or of it's an inadvertent bump that could twist it out of the quarter turn. I haven't had an issue with either, though.

If it fits, I'd recommend Garmin's solid mount. I've got one on the Cervelo - it doesn't wiggle out of alignment and it's just nicer and more solid than the rubber band mount.
Old 04-28-22, 06:48 AM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by WhyFi

If it fits, I'd recommend Garmin's solid mount. I've got one on the Cervelo - it doesn't wiggle out of alignment and it's just nicer and more solid than the rubber band mount.
Also less bulky and holds Varia closer to the seatpost for a slightly more svelte appearance.

I’m not a fan of Varia styling either, and would have preferred the mount centered, at least, to avoid it looking like an overripe pawpaw dangling from your post. 😬
Old 04-28-22, 07:49 AM
-------

yea I picked one of those up for my Emonda, but not sure if it will work on the D shaped post I have on my Domane, is your Domane D or round?
My post is D shape, and it works fine. Stays really secure. I also have the integrated light under the saddle, and they work well together.

Last edited by Mojo31; 04-28-22 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-28-22, 07:52 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PQKQHF1...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PTPJ9D8...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 04-28-22, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31
My post is D shape, and it works fine. Stays really secure. I also have the integrated light under the saddle, and they work well together.
Oh cool, then I will pick up one of these then.

Old 04-28-22, 12:35 PM
-------

Oh cool, then I will pick up one of these then.
I'll snap a close up when I get home this evening so you can see how it fits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.