Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 12:50 AM
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I kinda wanted to bump this thread because I didn't want to start another thread about cycling shoes
Old 05-04-13, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by F red
What about the ruse of spending $3000+ on a bike for plain normal riding that doesn't do it much better than any other bike so you can convince yourself you have good taste? Let people who spend thousands of dollars on a bike be vain and look like whatever they want to look like and buy whatever suits their tastes. If you're going to question if someone really needs to spend money on a con industry to go a little faster, you can ask if someone really needs to spend the same money to look dashingly good on boutique steel. At least wannabe racers get to think they look good, have good taste, and they go an extra mph faster.

$3,000? I know a couple of guys in the town where I live that ride $8,000 and $10,000 bikes for just plain normal riding! And one of the guys hasn't got a clue on how to fix a flat, he just uses his cell phone to call his mommy. But these type of people have so much money that to spend $8,000 dollars to them is like us spending a $1.25 for Coke in a Coke machine! One of the guys I know has a Ferrari and he never takes it pass the legal speed limit. It's like, ok why did you buy such a car if you accelerated like your driving a semi truck and never take it past the speed limit? It's because he just wanted that car...well they just wanted those bikes.

The common sense in me, assuming I had money like that to spend willy nilly, would prevent me from buying something that expensive if it's not going to be used for it's intended purpose. It's the same reason I bought the poor mans Lynskey model instead of the next one up for another $1,200, I could have done it because I had the money to do it, or equip the poor mans Lynskey with Campy Record, in fact I was going to order it originally with Athena, but changed my mine to 105 because I couldn't see the logic in spending another $600 for the Athena, (though I did request that the rear derailleur be changed to Ultegra, changed the low end FSA head set to a Cane Creek 110, changed the Lynskey base fork to a Enve 2.0 from the Lynskey 105 component package). I admit, my mind work's differently then most others.

I figure if I decide to race when I retire and want to lighten up the bike a bit I can get better wheels, upgrade the components as they fail, but for now it's good enough as it is.
Old 05-04-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use full toe clips so I wear OP Aqua Shoes when I ride because all the holes in the upper allow my feet to breathe while I ride.
Old 05-07-13, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to everyone thank you and ive been here its just that my other bike got stolen, I ripped though my shoes while riding recently and ive been busy at school so not much time for forum responses

Id also like to add ive been looking at vans, addidas sambas, some sort of mtn bike shoes, or redwing iron ranger that I already own, I heard running shoes are to flexible to use for longer rides so im not looking at them.

I want to know bmx vs skate shoe difference and also im a size 13 and Alot of shoes I like dont come in my size.

also my helmet was taken with my bike it was one of these

https://www.rei.com/product/826321/gi...73#video-inner

it was about 3 weeks old I love the way it looks but it looked stupid sometimes if felt like something you'd wear with a scooter do you guys know a cheap non stupid looking helmet.

Last edited by mr.grey; 05-07-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 1970Raleigh DL1

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have been wearing Docs to bicycle in since I was a teenager some(jeez) 30 years ago. Between those and my heavy lugged sole Gripfast work boots I have ridden both a vintage road bike and my Raleigh DL1 on a daily basis.
Old 05-14-13, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do boots work well I like the idea of boots because I can use them for everything not just riding.
Old 05-14-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.grey
Do boots work well I like the idea of boots because I can use them for everything not just riding.
You can wear any shoe you want, biking shoes are for those who want to maximize efficiency, you don't have to be efficient ride a bike. Do I wear biking shoes? Of course, but there are times I have gone with kids with no cycling shoes. Problem with people who have worn cycling shoes is that we get use to using them and then don't really like riding in different shoes. The other problem is that standard shoes are not stiff enough causing your foot to bend around the pedal, and after awhile your feet will begin to ache, but there use be a solution for that by simply inserting a piece of plastic sized for your shoes into the shoes to stiffen them, I don't thing that is on the market any more though. But some shoes, like the Docs are stiff enough not to cause too much of a problem.
Old 05-14-13, 04:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Big platform pedals are allowing you to ride in almost anything..
Oregon winter , i have rubber bottom LL Bean Boots on .
Old 05-14-13, 08:25 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano M088 or regular every day shoes
Old 05-15-13, 08:25 AM

Bikes: A FUJI!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
I used to do clipless exclusively.
But now I ride regular street shoes with MKS touring pedals. So much fun to jump on and off the bike and not feel wierd walking around in clipless shoes.
I don't think I will ever ride clipless again. I hope not.
Are they really that awkward? Maybe I SHOULD just stick with my sneakers for now until I get some more miles in..... Hmmm..
Old 05-15-13, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I use sidi metas for riding, for goofing around where I will be walking around I use shimano spd sandals.
Old 05-15-13, 11:23 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't have any clipless pedals right now but when I did, I had Shimano mtb shoes which had a tread higher than the cleat. They still scraped a bit, you wouldn't want to wear them around your hardwood floor.
Old 05-16-13, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently switched to Keen Arroyo cycling sandals. I had their commuting sandals but didn't like how narrow they were. The Arroyo version is basically a standard sandal. Very comfortable and the cleat recesses nicely. Doesn't touch the ground at all. I use Speedplay Frog pedals. These are only to be used for casual riding as I found pulling up too hard and your foot comes out of the shoe.
Old 05-16-13, 11:04 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.grey
I need new riding shoes, not riding only but shoes I can use to ride to work, school, the store, etc. What type of shoes do u guys use for these type of activities. I do have Shimano SH-R087 that I use for riding only setting but like I said I want some sneakers or comfortable shoes that I wont mind ruining or mistreating.
I ride in the shoes I need for the day be it work or casual that's the shoe I wear.

I don't need no stinking clipless shoes!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?