Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless gurus

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
It's amazing how much talk there is about pinched flats. I don't understand it. In 30 years of riding I had it happen once and that's when I took a bike out with under inflated tires. Are people rountinely running low pressure?
You may also look where you're going more than some.
Old 07-08-16, 11:27 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
That is one of the benefits of tubeless; you can run lower pressures without developing pinch flats. Lower pressures allow for greater comfort which actually translates into faster speeds.
Those lower pressures also mean instead of pinch flatting a tube you'll trash a rim. Personally, I'll eat a $5 tube for being an idiot any day of the week. A $100+USD rim is a bit different.
Old 07-08-16, 11:28 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
It's amazing how much talk there is about pinched flats. I don't understand it. In 30 years of riding I had it happen once and that's when I took a bike out with under inflated tires. Are people rountinely running low pressure?
Originally Posted by RJM
That is one of the benefits of tubeless; you can run lower pressures without developing pinch flats. Lower pressures allow for greater comfort which actually translates into faster speeds.
Yeah, I've not had a snakebite since...I can't remember when. If it's true that people complain more about them nowadays, perhaps it's because of the poor state of repair of many of America's roadways. There's no doubt that the rate and frequency of decay is greater today than it was even 20 years ago; the roads are older, and infrastructure investment has been economized for short term benefit.

Whatever the reason, there is definitely a trend towards running lower pressure, so maybe that's behind any pinch flat spike which may be happening.
Old 07-08-16, 11:32 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Those lower pressures also mean instead of pinch flatting a tube you'll trash a rim. Personally, I'll eat a $5 tube for being an idiot any day of the week. A $100+USD rim is a bit different.
No, that isn't what it means. A tube isn't going to save your rim, but it will force you to ride quite higher pressures.

I haven't had one issue with rims and I haven't heard of this happening much. I have in mountain biking, but we run 24-28lbs of air and bash on stuff.
Old 07-08-16, 11:33 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

I don't own a bead jack...what is a bead jack? I just have those plastic tire levers that every bike store I've ever been in has for sale.
Old 07-08-16, 11:34 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by RJM
No, that isn't what it means. A tube isn't going to save your rim, but it will force you to ride quite higher pressures.

I haven't had one issue with rims and I haven't heard of this happening much. I have in mountain biking, but we run 24-28lbs of air and bash on stuff.
Hit an unmarked speedbump in the dark on unfamiliar roads at even medium speed. I've had it happen and known people who've also had it happen. With clinchers, you'll be getting pinch flats (and a memo that "hey idiot your pressure are too low) before you damage a rim more than likely.
Old 07-08-16, 11:36 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

And it is a messy PITA to get a tube in a tubeless tire that properly fully seats. Hell I've had to lug a tire bead jack along with me on rides because simply getting the bastard tire back on again is a massive chore. Oh yea...and tossing a tube in a tubeless tire results in drastic loss of ride quality. So the next 2-3 hours of riding are not going to be pleasurable.

I used to sing the gospel of roadie tubeless too (everything from 23mm Hutchinsons to 28mm Schwalbes). Then after several non-self-sealing punctures on long rides away from civilization, I saw the silliness for what it was. A ton of effort, lots of engineering, lots of hassle/mess, for not a whole lot in return.

Quality high TPI clinchers Just Work (tm). Less mess, less fuss. And you're carrying a tube in your pocket anyway because the damn tire probably won't self seal in the event of puncture anyway.

A) See above.

B) Most reg clinchers don't require a bead jack, they make it a ton easier but don't require it. Properly sealing tubeless are wicked tight on the rim.
The thing is, your experience is not indicative of all tubeless setups. I can peel 23c Pro One's off AC Argents with delightful ease, by hand. It's so easy. Two weeks ago, I spent the longest period of time I can ever recall fixing a flat while helping a tubed clubmate who'd flatted. Some kind of Conti clincher, GP4K I think, on a standard looking, shallow depth alu clincher. It was brutal getting the tire on and off.

So why you think your experience speaks to all tubeless setups is beyond me and incredibly foolish. You chose to throw in the towel rather than educate yourself on how the system works and how to handle it, and now you want to spread ignorance by counseling others that tubeless is a folly? It's really pathetic, IMO.
Old 07-08-16, 11:37 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Hit an unmarked speedbump in the dark on unfamiliar roads at even medium speed. I've had it happen and known people who've also had it happen. With clinchers, you'll be getting pinch flats (and a memo that "hey idiot your pressure are too low) before you damage a rim more than likely.
I just don't see how the minimal rubber in a tube would save your rim in that scenario.
Old 07-08-16, 11:39 AM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RJM

Exactly.

Some people run tubeless, some tubed, some both (like me) and some don't know what they're talking about.
Old 07-08-16, 11:40 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by chaadster
The thing is, your experience is not indicative of all tubeless setups. I can peel 23c Pro One's off AC Argents with delightful ease, by hand. It's so easy. Two weeks ago, I spent the longest period of time I can ever recall fixing a flat while helping a tubed clubmate who'd flatted. Some kind of Conti clincher, GP4K I think, on a standard looking, shallow depth alu clincher. It was brutal getting the tire on and off.

So why you think your experience speaks to all tubeless setups is beyond me and incredibly foolish. You chose to throw in the towel rather than educate yourself on how the system works and how to handle it, and now you want to spread ignorance by counseling others that tubeless is a folly? It's really pathetic, IMO.
Had an amigo with Fulcrum clinchers that were tubeless ready. They were as tough a bastard to mount tubeless on as my Belgiums.

I throw in the towel being educated and making the decision that it simply is not worth it for road usage. Tubed tires are wicked good and good std clinchers are every bit as good in ride quality as tubeless. But with tubeless you get perks of overnight air-loss and sealant hassle (sealant doesn't like CO2 inflators you have to finesse the gun into tiny spurts that may not be enough to reestablish a broken seal , an oft forgotten tidbit of knowledge)...all for a tire that rides maybe 1-5% better than good std clinchers. And you still have to lug around the same toolkit.

Really pathetic indeed.

The OP asked for real world experience and not advert cover boilerplate from Stan's.
Old 07-08-16, 11:41 AM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RJM
I just don't see how the minimal rubber in a tube would save your rim in that scenario.
It wouldn't.
Old 07-08-16, 11:49 AM
Thread Killer

Had an amigo with Fulcrum clinchers that were tubeless ready. They were as tough a bastard to mount tubeless on as my Belgiums.

I throw in the towel being educated and making the decision that it simply is not worth it for road usage. Tubed tires are wicked good and good std clinchers are every bit as good in ride quality as tubeless. But with tubeless you get perks of overnight air-loss and sealant hassle (sealant doesn't like CO2 inflators you have to finesse the gun into tiny spurts that may not be enough to reestablish a broken seal , an oft forgotten tidbit of knowledge)...all for a tire that rides maybe 1-5% better than good std clinchers. And you still have to lug around the same toolkit.

Really pathetic indeed.

The OP asked for real world experience and not advert cover boilerplate from Stan's.
Overnight air loss? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

It's true that sealant will polymerize if flash frozen, but just rotate the valve opposite the pooled sealant when using CO2. Or better yet, get the proper tools for the job, and use compressed air. If you're talking about on the road-- though I don't know why you'd bother trying to patch rather than just boot and tube-- then get a regulated CO2 inflator, again, the right tool for the job.

Don't fault tubeless systems because you don't know WTF you are doing.

Oh, and extra demerits for the psuedo-scientific "rides maybe 1-5% better" comment.
Old 07-08-16, 11:53 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Overnight air loss? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

It's true that sealant will polymerize if flash frozen, but just rotate the valve opposite the pooled sealant when using CO2. Or better yet, get the proper tools for the job, and use compressed air. If you're talking about on the road-- though I don't know why you'd bother trying to patch rather than just boot and tube-- then get a regulated CO2 inflator, again, the right tool for the job.

Don't fault tubeless systems because you don't know WTF you are doing.
Sorry,

I was under the mis-understanding that sealant was supposed to be able to seal small punctures. You know that you could take a (small) puncture rotate it to the bottom of the wheel, let it sit a bit, and retop your tire (spin it) and maybe get going again. Clearly your expertise is required at Stan's, since they clearly don't know WTF they're talking about either.

Sorry for any and all confusion on my part, I bow to your superior wisdom and experience.
Old 07-08-16, 11:55 AM
Thread Killer

Sorry,

I was under the mis-understanding that sealant was supposed to be able to seal small punctures. You know that you could take a (small) puncture rotate it to the bottom of the wheel, let it sit a bit, and retop your tire (spin it) and maybe get going again. Clearly your expertise is required at Stan's, since they clearly don't know WTF they're talking about either.

Sorry for any and all confusion on my part, I bow to your superior wisdom and experience.
Stop derailing the thread with silliness. The OP asked for opinions from "tubeless gurus," which you clearly are not.
Old 07-08-16, 11:56 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Stop derailing the thread with silliness. The OP asked for opinions from "tubeless gurus," which you clearly are not.
He didn't ask for shills either. But yea, I've said my bit.
Old 07-08-16, 12:01 PM
Thread Killer

He didn't ask for shills either. But yea, I've said my bit.
Shill? Do you even know what that means, and if so, you not only have no basis to level that charge at me, you're also completely wrong...which is not surprising.

My opinions are my own, and based on my own experience and effort setting up tubeless wheels. I also read and investigate the topic, so I incorporate others' experience into my opinions as well, which is why, unlike you, I'm under no illusions that my greatly positive experience with tubeless is universal, and why I don't go around counseling everyone to avoid tubed tires.
Old 07-08-16, 01:35 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Errr, I installed my tubeless tires by hand. They are not ANY different than installing standard clinchers.

I actually put a tube underneath it on the very initial installation, out of the box, to get it in shape for the bead fitting. It takes all of 3 entire minutes.

My sealant hasn't degraded or failed due to flash of co2

I didn't have to carefully measure the co2. 1 full blast to seat, and then finish with a pump

The tires haven't flatted overnight. In fact they don't leak any more or less than my butyl tubed wheel sets

I haven't experienced a burp or otherwise a flat on the road. Although I rode a CX with a guy who did... A single blast of my 12oz co2 got his tires back in shape and good for the ride...and the sealant didnt explode in his face either.

I earn a very good living from a non-bike profession that I really enjoy. But if Schwalbe or Stan's or whoever else wants to pay me on the side....I wouldn't turn down their money. So if they're listening out there, please send me a PM for the bank wire details.
Old 07-08-16, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
You may also look where you're going more than some.
You're right on that. I used to get lots of flats and a mechanic told me to always wear glasses and watch for glass and debris. I started doing that and it became a natural habit.
Old 07-08-16, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Hahaha! That shipped has sailed, man! Silly statements might have stirred an argument three or four years ago, but now they just read like a desperate attempt to get attention!
Unless there's been a change in the past few months, only one of the large four performance manufacturers produce tubeless and that's Specialized.
Old 07-08-16, 02:44 PM

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Haha, you guys are awesome and funny. Thank you all for the posts. Where I live and ride it is hot and dry and we have a ton of goat heads. I ride tubeless on my mountain bike and have never had a flat and have read that the road tubeless market is getting better. Which makes me believe that tubeless might be the answer. That or put sealant in my current tubes.

I'm currently running 25mm GP 4000S II on H-Plus Son Archtypes. I don't ride a ton around 100 miles a week or so. I do enjoy long rides on the weekend and I race as well so if I go tubeless I need something as durable as the Contis (minus the goat head strikes). Up until this week I hadn't had any flats in about 1000 miles so maybe it's just bad luck.

I'll be on the web researching tubeless tires for my new incoming wheels.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-16, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Tubeless sounds like the right thing for you where you live, don't let the haters scare you away. Just go all in and get decent tires, stems, tape (if needed), use the proper amount of sealant, practice mounting the tires a few times before you ride and all will be fine. I really liked my Fusion 3's for the two years I rode them and they just released the Fusion 5's that should be an improvement over the 3's? They are an extremely durable tire with above average tread life.

https://www.artscyclery.com/Hutchinso...e-HTFU5TL.html
Old 07-08-16, 07:04 PM
Thread Killer

Unless there's been a change in the past few months, only one of the large four performance manufacturers produce tubeless and that's Specialized.
I think that's different from what I'm talking about, but with only Continental and Michelin standing out as major brands not in the game, while everyone from CST/Maxxis, Schwalbe, Panaracer, Hutchinson, Specialized, IRC, Bontrager, Vittoria, right down to Vee, are in the mix, it would certainly seem that "concept viability" is not the issue keeping the Big Two out.
O
There are other brands, like Vredestein (out) and Clement (in), and Mavic (out) and Compass (in), and probably others (thinking of traditional tubular mfgs here, like Tufo and Gommitalia), but the balance seems to be in favor of tubeless by the numbers.

Could Michelin or Continental scuttle the system? I don't think so, and having read that Conti's NoAm director say that they don't think the tech is "fully baked," I'm inclined to think they're working on and waiting for a system standard before they reapportion their considerable manufacturing might.
Old 07-08-16, 07:20 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I don't own a bead jack...what is a bead jack? I just have those plastic tire levers that every bike store I've ever been in has for sale.
Google Kool Stop bead jack and VAR tire tool. Those are bead jacks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-08-16, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Chaadster,

Thanks for explaining all that. Vittoria was the other one out from my old info.
Old 07-08-16, 07:40 PM
Thread Killer

Chaadster,

Thanks for explaining all that. Vittoria was the other one out from my old info.
Yeah, it was only this year, but they jumped in big time, laying down the fastest tubeless tire to date, the Corsa Speed Open TLR. Super low Crr on that thing, and lightweight, featuring their graphene tech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.