Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you find this performance level believable?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you find this performance level believable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Its Strava. No one cares. Put down the app, and go for a ride.....
exactly
Old 12-28-18, 11:18 AM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Threads like these only serve to confirm my decision to avoid all forms of social media.

-Kedosto
*enjoyin’ the ride*
Old 12-28-18, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Wise choice, Kedosto. All forms of social media are huge time wasters including Bikeforums, however it is the one platform I allow myself access as there is a huge amount of information on this site, and questions are almost always answered in a respectful way.

I know a lot of guys that I raced with use Strava. They are no longer competitive on the circuit, but they have this urge to be competitive with someone and Strava is the outlet for it. The blunt truth is that they are no longer able to effectively race and this gives their egos a boost. Silly, but true, and one has to agree when one hears them brag about the killer Strava segment they did this weekend, etc. What a bunch of nonsense. Washed up Cat 3 racers still have egos that need caressing once a week.
Old 12-28-18, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
That sounds like a tough climb.

But, why not "friend" the guy. And, then see if you can actually meet him for a ride.

You'll learn a lot about the cyclist by looking at some of his other rides.

What happens to all the PRO cyclists when they get older?
Old 12-28-18, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Every time I get a KOM around here, the local race team goes after it as a group. Not really fair, since paceline riding is several mph faster; but that's the way it is pretty much everywhere I've ever ridden. KOMs are generally owned by people sprinting off the front of a paceline.

They are what they are. Does owning one significantly improve your love life or something?
Old 12-28-18, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I put it here in this forum:

​​​​​​

The rider claims to be 76 years old and a long time avid cyclist. He can do a category 4 climb of 5.08 miles in 22 minutes averaging a HR of 178 with an average power up the climb of 232 watts with a max power output of 414 watts.

On the descent of the same hill, he is faster than not only everyone in his Strava age group (over 75) but is also faster than anyone from the next two lower age categories, (65-69 and 70-74.) He also hits on the descent a max heart rate of 165 and average power of 187 watts with a max of 804.

All of the above he does after he has already ridden 50 miles on semi-flat terrain.

On the above ride and other rides of his that I've checked he routinely hits a max HR of 195 to 204 on different segments or parts of his long rides.

I don't find the above credible for a 76-year-old rider. What do you think?
I can think of a 70+ rider in Sacramento that could put out those numbers. He’s a multi national champ in various disciplines so he’s not exactly typical.
Old 12-28-18, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
They are what they are. Does owning one significantly improve your love life or something?
Yes, my wife knowing my kid put up a KOM significantly improved my love life for a few days or so. I periodically have to remind he.

For all us 2nd half of the [age] century folks, or just speaking for myself, posting on BikeForums has little to do with riding. I ride when I ride, then work at the same desk I post from. I like Strava. I like to follow others. I started a Strava thread somewhere. I don't like virtual rides and electric bikes, recumbent's / alternative bikes, or anything not really legal for racing in the country they were posted on there (without being labeled as such) but you can pretty much tell what is what. Motor pacing, group rides, wind aided, PED assisted all count I think.

Last edited by Doge; 12-28-18 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Every time I get a KOM around here, the local race team goes after it as a group. Not really fair, since paceline riding is several mph faster; but that's the way it is pretty much everywhere I've ever ridden. KOMs are generally owned by people sprinting off the front of a paceline.

How is it unfair? You still have to be faster than everyone else in the group.
Old 12-28-18, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
There are far too many figures in this thread. Whatever happened to just going for a ride and feeding the ducks and horses?
Don't feed wildlife.
Old 12-28-18, 01:17 PM

Last summer, a group of Bike Forum members headed down south to try for the Hour Record.

Taking a crack at the hour record

I don't see notes in the 75+ age group, but in the 70-75 age group, they posted a record at 43 km in an hour (26.7 MPH).

Of course, that is on a track, but WHEW!!! Hardly believable!!!

I'd hate to meet some of those riders on hill climbs.
Old 12-28-18, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

How is it unfair? You still have to be faster than everyone else in the group.
It's unfair because, like motor pacing, you're not cutting your own air for the whole segment. Or, at minimum, you get a head start on speed by drafting someone else. So you're relying on someone else to do at least part of the work.
Old 12-28-18, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why does it bother you? And why are you stalking him?
This
Old 12-28-18, 06:04 PM

It's unfair because, like motor pacing, you're not cutting your own air for the whole segment. Or, at minimum, you get a head start on speed by drafting someone else. So you're relying on someone else to do at least part of the work.
The guy the OP cited is pounding the pavement uphill. Perhaps at a speed when a draft would help, but he still is pounding hard uphill.

I try to find wind neutral times to push for PR's on my segments, especially since I'm often competing against myself, but a few of my fastest segments were wind favorable. BAD?

I have another segment where one can either transition from flat to the hill climb, or small descent to the hill climb. Is that cheating?

One of the segments I've defined is a simple out and back. I still think there may be benefits of the perfect wind, but rather minimal, unless one hits it right as the wind is dying down, or in a circular rotation.
Old 12-28-18, 07:07 PM

Many KOMs are groups based. The Solo KOMs will be way down the list. You can kinda guess as no one else is riding at that time. Then you use the group to get the KOM. These are pretty popular and there are simple tricks to it.
Old 12-28-18, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The guy the OP cited is pounding the pavement uphill. Perhaps at a speed when a draft would help, but he still is pounding hard uphill.

I try to find wind neutral times to push for PR's on my segments, especially since I'm often competing against myself, but a few of my fastest segments were wind favorable. BAD?

I have another segment where one can either transition from flat to the hill climb, or small descent to the hill climb. Is that cheating?

One of the segments I've defined is a simple out and back. I still think there may be benefits of the perfect wind, but rather minimal, unless one hits it right as the wind is dying down, or in a circular rotation.
I guess it depends on the segment and attempts. In my book you need to be on a race legal road bike doing race legal things. So taking a little draft from passing cars is fine, sitting behind them as they pace you is not. I live in an area where motor pacing is often done for training and often gets posted. They are not cheating. If they take a KOM of significance doing that, I don't think it is cool. Most significant thing around here is bikes in car taking KOMs that need flagging. I don't know why Strava can't see when a large attempted KOM is taken by several mph that it is obviously a car. The electric bikes should be flagged.
Old 12-28-18, 07:22 PM

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts

It's a Category 3 climb. Sorry for the mental typo. Here is the guy's data for the full ride not just the 5.08 climb at the end of the ride. Bottom line for me and after checking with some others in the "neighborhood" the numbers and other evidence don't add up.
Old 12-28-18, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
HR is most relevant in this case. He is doing a little over 200 watts for almost 22 minutes of a category 4 that ends with a 11 percent grade. (If you think grade doesn't matter I don't what to say to you except try holding your sustainable power for 22 minutes with one case it being on the flats and on the other case it is climbing that cat 4. You don't think there is a difference in power sustainability dependent upon grade and time? (Especially at 76.)
If anything, it's easier to sustain high power on a climb. There's less need to worry about posture aerodynamics when climbing, and some people find that effects of steep gradient on inertia can ease the production of torque.

When people find it more difficult to sustain high power on a climb, it's usually because of gearing bottom-out. But that's an issue that can be avoided with an appropriate bicycle configuration.
Old 12-28-18, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find Zwift and Strava fun, but only for a platform, not for caring about what others claim to do.

As for your old fart rider, I don't believe (i) he has a heart rate that high, (ii) can sustain that kind of power for that long, and (iii) if he did sustain that amount of power for that long, that he'd end up with a highly-anemic 118 watts of power average for the entire ride.

But why care?
Old 12-28-18, 10:24 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts

It's a Category 3 climb. Sorry for the mental typo. Here is the guy's data for the full ride not just the 5.08 climb at the end of the ride. Bottom line for me and after checking with some others in the "neighborhood" the numbers and other evidence don't add up.

I don't understand what this thread is about.

This ride seems quite believable. The max heartrate of 207 is odd, but I often get some readings like that near the beginning of a ride, due to static electricity from my jersey.
152 watts weighted average is very good, yet still in a range that seems very possible for a rider that is in his mid 70s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...the original post:
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I put it here in this forum:
​​​​​

The rider claims to be 76 years old and a long time avid cyclist. He can do a category 4 climb of 5.08 miles in 22 minutes averaging a HR of 178 with an average power up the climb of 232 watts with a max power output of 414 watts.

On the descent of the same hill, he is faster than not only everyone in his Strava age group (over 75) but is also faster than anyone from the next two lower age categories, (65-69 and 70-74.) He also hits on the descent a max heart rate of 165 and average power of 187 watts with a max of 804.

All of the above he does after he has already ridden 50 miles on semi-flat terrain.
On the above ride and other rides of his that I've checked he routinely hits a max HR of 195 to 204 on different segments or parts of his long rides.
I don't find the above credible for a 76-year-old rider. What do you think?
I'll skip the max HR data. It could just be reporting bad numbers from the HR strap.
Do you think it's actually a different very young rider with that high heart rate? A "Rent a KOM rider" service!

232 watts for 20 minutes is strong, but not unbelievable.
Then the 187 watts on descent is very good. I find that I often use much less power on descents, it's easy to slack off (or save the effort for the rest of the ride) and still have a quite fast speed. So if he kept the effort high, that might explain a downhill KOM. Favorable wind etc, too.

It's easy to hit 800 watts peak. I'm not strong, and I do that on many rides, just by standing up and doing two or three very hard pedal strokes.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-28-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 10:43 PM

We have segments that are on the routes of group rides that have been running since the days of down tube levers and toe clips. And that have been parts of Tour of California stages. The KOMs on those segments would probably still be the KOMs even if they were somehow restricted to ITT efforts only.
Old 12-28-18, 10:56 PM

What does not add up? Is there a little lightning bolt by the power? If not, it is a Strava calc.
I think the 207 max HR is a spike. The 136 HR Ave seems pretty real. The 152W real. The 77 Cadence for a older guy - right on. That temperature tho.
Old 12-28-18, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rm -rf
It's easy to hit 800 watts peak. I'm not strong, and I do that on many rides, just by standing up and doing two or three very hard pedal strokes.
I'm 58, I can guess my max is above 1,500W. I hit 1,400 sometimes looking after the fact. I can see things dropping a bit, but 800W peaks at 75 are not in anyway astounding. I'll wait 15 years and post, but think I will not be dropping 40% by then - if I don't hang it up.
Old 12-28-18, 11:42 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
[Here is the guy's data for the full ride not just the 5.08 climb at the end of the ride. Bottom line for me and after checking with some others in the "neighborhood" the numbers and other evidence don't add up.

So**********

Do you not have a life? Is that it?

What I find unbelievable is that you care about this so much.

Go ride your bicycle!

Last edited by Machka; 12-28-18 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So**********

Do you not have a life? Is that it?

What I find unbelievable is that you care about this so much.

Go ride your bicycle!
Careful lol.
He is obviously an ex hall monitor who is now a member of the Strava PD.
You don’t wanna make his list...
Old 12-29-18, 02:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Who cares. When i tour or commute i am sure no one would be impressed with my times. I do like the view however.
Now that's disappointing to hear you say that. You should know by now that others are always watching (and being influenced by) you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.