Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Campagnolo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me identify this Campagnolo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, those bosses are almost certainly OEM. See attached mid-1980s, OEM spec, Colnago Gentleman.

Please PM me with the status on the TdC, as I'm still interested if it is too small for you.
That is a beautiful bicycle. Thanks for sharing. PM sent.
Likes For Dannyboy21:
Old 05-03-21, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy21
That is a beautiful bicycle. Thanks for sharing. PM sent.
that is an unusual bike, but why no pedals?
Old 05-03-21, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
that is an unusual bike, but why no pedals?
OEM pedal specs became a big issue on high end bicycles in the mid-1980s, when clipless systems were introduced. There were so many incompatible pedal systems introduced over a relatively short period that it was impossible to predict what a customer might prefer. Customers were reluctant to pay for a pedal system they didn't want and, given the high price of a clipless shoe and pedal system, often transferred their preferred pedals from their old bicycle. As a result, shops were discounting bicycles and being stuck with a lot of quill pedals that they had removed from bicycles. Consequently, shops started ordering bicycles without pedals, which led to an industry trend to supply higher end bicycles without pedals.
Old 05-03-21, 03:12 PM

OEM pedal specs became a big issue on high end bicycles in the mid-1980s, when clipless systems were introduced. There were so many incompatible pedal systems introduced over a relatively short period that it was impossible to predict what a customer might prefer. Customers were reluctant to pay for a pedal system they didn't want and, given the high price of a clipless shoe and pedal system, often transferred their preferred pedals from their old bicycle. As a result, shops were discounting bicycles and being stuck with a lot of quill pedals that they had removed from bicycles. Consequently, shops started ordering bicycles without pedals, which led to an industry trend to supply higher end bicycles without pedals.
OK, but this is a "gentleman" bike by the set up, undoubtedly used with street shoes. Wide metal touring pedals, or even rubber adorned pedals.
My beef is partly that so many bikes are now sold without, bikes that were from the clip and strap era... I get race bikes from the later 80's onward have a bit of an excuse.
Old 05-03-21, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by repechage
OK, but this is a "gentleman" bike by the set up, undoubtedly used with street shoes. Wide metal touring pedals, or even rubber adorned pedals.
My beef is partly that so many bikes are now sold without, bikes that were from the clip and strap era... I get race bikes from the later 80's onward have a bit of an excuse.
There would been literally thousands of bicycles that would have been updated to clipless after they hit the market. Performance oriented cyclists were only to happy to discard their uncomfortable toe clips and straps. I had probably a couple dozen cases of this among cyclists that I coached in the late 1980s. Frugal ones just coming into the sport would buy a used bicycle that was a few years old and update it clipless and indexing and still save significant money over a new bicycle. When these updated bicycles got sold, they tended to remove the clipless pedals.

Pedals are also a very high damage item on bicycles. Being a low and protruding point of the bicycle, they get banged around a lot and suffer a lot in wet weather. They're also one of the components least likely to be serviced. They're almost treated like consumables. Think of how many pedals you seen that have bent axles, are rusty, scraped and missing dust caps. Pedals are often in worse shape than the rest of the bicycle. Many owners find it easier to get rid of the offending part and let the new owner deal with it, than getting replacements.
Old 05-03-21, 04:49 PM

We must agree to disagree, that Colnago Gentleman is in terrific shape. If it was set up without fenders and had drop bars, you are correct, even more so if it had otherwise shown the scars of use/war and even minimal neglect.
Old 05-03-21, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Dannyboy21 - ................BTW: I don't care for the aesthetics of that Chorus crank. The next gen is a hand down of the Record which I prefer.
Yes, it took me a while to warm up to the 1st gen Chorus crankset aesthetics, with its bent looking arms and strange puckered center bolt section, but after a whileI appreciated the aero concept that was behind its design. If you look at the crankset from the front of the bike, you will see how minimal the aero profile is of the crankset. All the unusual details suddenly makes sense when you see it from that perspective.
I really think that the 1st gen Chorus gruppo was engineered much better (Except for the Synchro shifters) than the higher model C Record Gruppo was. It all just generally worked better than the rest of the Campy line of that time, and was certainly easier to set up, as long............. as you forego their Synchro shifter system, or just set it permanently on friction mode......
Old 05-03-21, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
There is a little push button that slides back and forth, near the pivot point of the lever, which may be under the edge of the flap of the hood.
(The lever has to be squeezed for the push button mechanism to slide.)

(My LeMond has the same group. I went and checked.)
Thank you. that button was exactly the issue. I am not sure that I would have ever noticed it.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 05-03-21, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy21
SJX426 and Paul Waque - Let the excommunication proceedings begin. Haha! I will perform a rear derailleur cage transplant this afternoon and plan to continue the blasphemy of pairing DA 7800 this 1982 Colnago Super. Paul has questions about the pannier bosses on the bike. Original owner swears they were there when he bought the bike new and were not added during the repaint in late 90s. Big thanks to Paul for getting his hands dirty on two subsequent mechanicals on yesterday's ride; the first being one of the most dirty and greasy broken chains of all time! Hope you were able to clean those hands!!!
Good luck with the repairs. I have given up trying to get the grease out of the deeper crevices, they should be cleaner by the weekend.

Interesting bosses on those bikes, Seems more complex than adding eyelets near the dropouts.
Old 05-05-21, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts

Here is another look at the Colnago Gentleman. Those panniers are fantastic! The spec sheet says Super frameset. Wonder if some of the frames meant for this build actually got used to build race bikes, such as mine? And repechage This one has pedals!
Old 05-05-21, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Headset is probably Record, maybe Athena, as I don't think there was a Chorus headset (of that era.) Yes there was and I’m an idiot.

RD might be Record as the Chorus RD usually had a cone shaped pinch bolt, but apart from that they're fairly indistinguishable.
no, those pivots on the end of the lateral cage are only Chorus. One of Campy’s attempts to circumvent the SunTour patent on slant parallelograms.
Old 05-05-21, 04:02 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Yes, it took me a while to warm up to the 1st gen Chorus crankset aesthetics, with its bent looking arms and strange puckered center bolt section, but after a whileI appreciated the aero concept that was behind its design. If you look at the crankset from the front of the bike, you will see how minimal the aero profile is of the crankset. All the unusual details suddenly makes sense when you see it from that perspective.
I really think that the 1st gen Chorus gruppo was engineered much better (Except for the Synchro shifters) than the higher model C Record Gruppo was. It all just generally worked better than the rest of the Campy line of that time, and was certainly easier to set up, as long............. as you forego their Synchro shifter system, or just set it permanently on friction mode......
Oddly, one of my favorite cranks as far as lines...subtly more complex in the curvature. I have some that are waiting for good use.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-05-21, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
no, those pivots on the end of the lateral cage are only Chorus. One of Campy’s attempts to circumvent the SunTour patent on slant parallelograms.
Yes, thank for reminding me of my error. I was just starting to feel normal again. *sniff*
Old 05-05-21, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Campagnolo didn't need to circumvent the Maeda slant parallelgram patent because it had expired a few years earlier. However, Campagnolo had a reputation as an innovator and just adopting the slant paralleogram would tarnish their reputation. Instead, in 1988 they introduced three different derailleur designs. First was Croce d'Aune with its Twin Axle System, next was Chorus with it's Dual Mode System and finally came Athena with it's Lateral Operating System. My impression was that Camapgnolo had lost their way and was randomly throwing darts to see what would stick. Eventually they realized that the traditional slant parallelogram was the best approach and they adopted it for 1991.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-10-21, 06:49 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Campagnolo didn't need to circumvent the Maeda slant parallelgram patent because it had expired a few years earlier. However, Campagnolo had a reputation as an innovator and just adopting the slant paralleogram would tarnish their reputation. Instead, in 1988 they introduced three different derailleur designs. First was Croce d'Aune with its Twin Axle System, next was Chorus with it's Dual Mode System and finally came Athena with it's Lateral Operating System. My impression was that Camapgnolo had lost their way and was randomly throwing darts to see what would stick. Eventually they realized that the traditional slant parallelogram was the best approach and they adopted it for 1991.
I can't argue with that. In any case the Campy derailleur with the pivots at the ends of the transverse paralellograms, enabling them to imitate the real slant parallellogram designs, was implemented in the Chorus line-up, not the Record.