Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to sell my used bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where to sell my used bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 01:42 PM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Never had a real problem with selling bikes on Craigslist near DC. Only issue I had last year when selling three bikes, was the flippers trying to low ball me into selling all three at once. I did not have any problems selling all three separately for the amount I wanted.
Old 12-30-18, 01:22 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
In my large metropolitan area, I use Craigslist for bikes and other things. A good bike at an attractive price goes pretty quick; however, everyone has a different idea of what a "good" bike is and the ridiculous values promoted by Bicycle Blue Book have made getting decent prices more challenging. Bicycle Blue Book prices for used bikes seem calculated solely to support their business model of corporate bike flipping and supporting affiliated bike shops in lowballing trade-in prices. In my area, bike sharing fleets seem to have somewhat reduced the demand for bikes. Another factor that may be play is your location in your local metropolitan area. I have a friend who lives about 5 miles closer in than I do and is located very close to a subway station. He seems to have much better success moving bikes than I do. His location is easier for people without cars to access. I very rarely offer to meet people because showing bikes to tire-kickers is a poor use of my time and if someone is seriously interested, they'll make the effort to make it out to my location.
blue book does seem to be low priced.

so what is the solution to bicycle pricing? anything online?

thanks
Old 12-30-18, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
blue book does seem to be low priced.

so what is the solution to bicycle pricing? anything online?

thanks
The best way is to look at what things are selling for.

On E-Bay, there are "Sold Ads", which may be limited to the last couple of months, but list actual selling prices, rather than dreamer prices.

Craigslist will now give you everything within 100 miles or so (asking prices, not sale prices). There are ways to search further and wider such as:
Google:
Bike Description site:craigslist.org
If the bike is "interesting", the people on BikeForums will give you some candid numbers. Sometimes down to the nearest $50, other times a range from say $500 to $1500. And, of course, everyone has a different opinion.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

As far as Bicycle Blue Book, it is algorithm driven. If you put in a basic Hybrid from 10 years ago, it may be close. But, if you have a 20 year old road bike or cyclocross bike, then it may be off a bit.
Old 12-31-18, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Selling a bike on Craigslist is way, way less hassle than selling a car on Craigslist. Have sold bikes without trouble, remove the add and all is good.
Sold a few cars on Craigslist, remove the add and a month later people still texting me to see what kind of deal they can get. Bottom feeders are so annoying.
Old 01-10-19, 01:30 PM

Bikes: 1982 Puch, 1987 Trek 560, 1987 Trek 400t Elance, 2013 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With good photos, Craigslist can work. I've used OfferUp successfully because the market is less saturated (at least where I live).
Old 01-10-19, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I'd just cut my losses and donate the bikes to a co-op if no luck selling on CL.
Or not. I volunteer at a big-city, high-volume co-op. We are drowning in crappy broken-down department store bikes. We are consuming vast resources assessing, storing and then hauling 90% of these right to the landfill. Most of these bikes were are net liability to society the moment they came out of the factory. So they were worthless new, and their value does not increase over time.

Posting these bikes daily on Craigslist for months does not enhance their value either.

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 01-10-19 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
craigslist is where i do my shopping, but I am a noob.
Old 04-28-21, 10:46 PM

Bikes: 2017 Pivot Switchblade Carbon 29 mountain bike, 2001 Viner T10 Pro Team road bike, DiFalco Fabrications Custom Handbuilt Bike, 1998 Schwinn S-10 All-Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks for your question. I am also looking to sell what I think is a special bike and was wondering where to begin. This thread was very useful.
Old 04-29-21, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
CL is great because they don't charge any fees that eat into your asking price. However, the way that I think about CL is that it is a big online garage sale, at least from the perspective of smaller consumer goods. I don't think that I'm the only one who thinks this way. As such, when I look on CL I'm looking for garage sale prices. When it comes to bicycles, I see a lot of late model bikes that are priced at 70% or more of the retail price and they sit on CL as sort of a permanent fixture there. The older bikes also tend to be overpriced as well. I frequently see Schwinn Varsitys priced at $150+. As mentioned previously in this thread, if you have a decent bike and it isn't selling, you've probably got it priced too high for the market that you are in. I've found many times that a "desirable" price point is not low enough for CL.
Old 04-29-21, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Craigslist is not used as much as kijiji in Canada, but when I posted an ad on Kijiji to sell a bike last week, I got zero responses. I put an ad on Facebook marketplace and had five interested people within a few hours.
Old 04-29-21, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Granted I live on a relatively busy street, that is also a popular bike thoroughfare. But I've sold bikes by parking them in the driveway with a "for sale" sign. In one case I had two kids bikes... someone came by and bought one of them, called her sister on the phone, and a couple minutes later bought the other one.