Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hillclimbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
That's a good one. Takes me about an hour. Pro's do it in 30 minutes. Great view from the top of the ocean.
An hour is really good time for one of us lesser mortals.

My normal route was to head W/B from Ventura, on the 192, through Carpenteria and Montecito.

Since last year’s mudslides 192 has been closed at several places. I don’t want to take the long way around the detours, so no Gibraltar for a while longer.

The views from the top are awesome..
Old 01-31-19, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@livedarklions Ha! Well played. The Baker climb is quite nice though. Burgers or not.
Old 01-31-19, 02:33 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I rode the Dirty Dozen this past November. It's a classic, though it's a long day, since each group has to re-group at the top of each hill. This time, it also didn't help that it was in the low-40s and raining most of the day. And yeah, Canton Avenue is a real *****.

My big climbing event in 2019 will be the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, which I have done a couple times before. Always a blast, and Durango is a great place to visit.

I don't imagine I'll ever do it again, but the Mt. Evans Hill Climb is probably the classic climbing event in the Western US.
I did the AOMM ride in 2018. About a total of 11.5k feet and 103mi. I flatted at mile 30, so lost any hope of a peloton pulling me all the way to Bill's Hill. That made for a tough day. None of it is steep, it's just unending. Never ending 4%, 6%, etc....

I know they love the huge depart, but they REALLY need to do a wave start. That huge peloton with folks in it thinking they can roll 30mph in a tight group out of Spartanburg, yuck.

I wish they'd let license holders depart first. Then wave starts by ability with 5 minutes between waves.

I'm pretty sure I flatted because some moron's frame pump came unscrewed and I ran over it (the water bottle holder kind).

I may enter the USAC time trial up the hill in Boone this summer.