Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're either an eternal optimist, or Tulsa is very different from anywhere else on Earth. Every experienced cyclist KNOWS that Murphy's Law dictates that winds reverse direction within minutes of any cyclist reaching the 1/2 way turnaround on a ride.
HAHA ... crossing my fingers & offering my 1st born to Boreas (god of the north wind) .... smooth spinning south to the house after 12hrs of work.

this morning was a different story north wind brought the wind chill from 10 to -1 F , wow that was flip'n cold
Old 12-07-13, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went multi-modal yesterday. home-> Bike ->bus ->bike-> office (reversed on the way home)
A little under ten miles 36 and rain on the morning ride.
31 very light sleet/snow on the way home.

It was late ride home, since my company Holiday Party was last night. With the WX guessers on TV proclaiming a weather apocalypse the ride home was eerily quiet, I only saw about two cars.
Old 12-09-13, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slushy icy streets this morning, temps just above freezing. After a week off for training it was nice to be back on the bike again!

I think tomorrow's 2-4 inches of snow will be a bigger challenge than today's ice here in the Washington, D.C. area.
Old 12-09-13, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34 cloudy, with a misty mix of mostly rain with the occasional snow flurries or sleet.
There was a 5mph cross wind most of the route.. chilly but enjoyable still.
Old 12-09-13, 08:17 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
easy, super warm still ... 11c/50f

sweating actually, which is not so nice
Old 12-09-13, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drove in today because I don't trust drivers in slushy conditions. There were a few slick spots, but most drivers were throwing their 4000 pound SUVs around like it was a sunny day in July.
Old 12-09-13, 08:36 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bike this morning, too much snow to get to work in a decent time. By the look of it I'll miss my 10000 kms target by a few hundreds Kms. At the begining of december I had 4 commuting days to spare but this morning is already the 3rd time I must take the van because of the snow.
Old 12-09-13, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Totally soaked this morning before getting out of the parking lot, but reading these reports of sub-zero weather and ice has me counting my blessings. As it was I was thinking I'd almost be better off just wearing a swimsuit and jersey.
Old 12-09-13, 09:36 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
34 Deg.F when I left the house at 5:30AM, so very cold for an early morning Southern California bicycle commute. I wore my shoes instead of sandals, added leg warmers, balaclava, full finger gloves, wool base layer and wool Hincapie jacket. Once I got moving and generated some body heat; not too bad!

Yes, I know for lots of you 34 degrees isn't that bad but for those of us used to warmer weather . . . 34 is serious cold!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-09-13, 09:42 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Coldest of the year for me, 39F. Couldn't find baklava so the ears stung a bit when I got in.
Old 12-09-13, 09:48 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Coldest of the year for me, 39F. Couldn't find baklava so the ears stung a bit when I got in.
How does Greek pastry keep your ears warm? Is it a new approach to dressing in layers?

Don't respond, I know you meant balaclava, I just couldn't resist.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-09-13, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does Greek pastry keep your ears warm? Is it a new approach to dressing in layers?

The phyllo layers provide an insulation value of R18. You should try it!

Old 12-09-13, 10:29 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
The phyllo layers provide an insulation value of R18. You should try it!

I agree, I always dress in layers, but find I get the best results with unstuffed sfogliatelle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-09-13, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I normally would drive in weather like we are having today, but felt like riding after my weekend rides were disrupted by the continuing lousy weather. Temps were in the 30s with light misty rain and a high probability of heavier showers later in the day. The ride to work was actually quite pleasant aside from glasses fogging up so bad that I had to remove them. Hopefully I'll have similar luck this afternoon.

Rode my touring bike, which hasn't been getting much use lately, because it's best equipped for riding in the rain with full fenders, a rear rack and reflective sidewalls on tires. Wore my new Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket for the first time in actual rain and it performed well. I am very impressed with this jacket so far and seems deserving of all the great reviews it gets.
Old 12-09-13, 10:57 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

That extra sugar burning does it for me (Couldn't resist)
Old 12-09-13, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
25F this morning with a wicked crosswind, which for about .5 mile was an evil headwind. Trail had a dusting of new snow and patches of ice but mostly clear. As I came up to one of the street crossings I saw a school bus backing up - thought she was doing it for me. Silly me. She couldn't get enough traction to get up a very slight incline to cross through the intersection. It was a good reminder that although I have great traction the cars crossing my path don't.
Old 12-09-13, 12:20 PM
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
35deg and 5mph winds, added wool socks and full winter getup, including plastic bags under the thin shoe covers. Hands were cold in work style gloves but ok. Winds now up to 12mph with 16mph forecast for the ride home. Good workout all around, just need to toughen up a bit. . . and have another coffee.
Old 12-09-13, 12:48 PM
Training Wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coldest commute so far at 7F and my first commute on studded tires. 3.5mi, sunny, about half on packed snow and half on dry pavement. Next time I'll double up the wool socks or wear shoes instead of my cycling sandals
Old 12-09-13, 01:39 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Perhaps my coldest commute ever this morning (nearing my 1yr mark, don't know if I had any colder in jan/feb)

Overnight low in Poway, CA (suburb of San Diego) was 27 (record is 24); when I left a little before 6 it was 35, windchill 29 (but that's a standing windchill -- biking windchill makes it worse, right?). Parked cars were frosted over.

Outfit:

Ankle socks and leg hair,
Basketball shorts & regular underwear, (hey so far that rhymes!)
Tech tee + long sleeve cotton tee + light pullover
ear-covering headband
fleece gloves (could have gone full ski-glove today!)
helmet of course.

Oh and I almost forgot:

50lb of insulating blubber.

I forgot to bungee my kittier on, so when I bumped over the driveway lip at work it fell off. Oopx!

Last edited by RubeRad; 12-09-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Perhaps my coldest commute ever this morning (nearing my 1yr mark, don't know if I had any colder in jan/feb)

Overnight low in Poway, CA (suburb of San Diego) was 27 (record is 24); when I left a little before 6 it was 35, windchill 29 (but that's a standing windchill -- biking windchill makes it worse, right?). Parked cars were frosted over.

Outfit:

Ankle socks and leg hair,
Basketball shorts & regular underwear, (hey so far that rhymes!)
Tech tee + long sleeve cotton tee + light pullover
ear-covering headband
fleece gloves (could have gone full ski-glove today!)
helmet of course.

Oh and I almost forgot:

50lb of insulating blubber.

I forgot to bungee my kittier on, so when I bumped over the driveway lip at work it fell off. Oopx!
got a picture of that outfit? and wutz a "kittier"?
Old 12-09-13, 03:08 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got a picture of that outfit? and wutz a "kittier"?
Sorry, no pic. Unless you're interested in the hairy leg part, you can see my (formerly) injured knee over here...

I looked around on the Champion website and I can't find anything like my pullover. It's lighter than a sweatshirt or fleece, not wind- or water-proof, no hood, quarter-zip with a little bit of collar, thumb-holes at the end of the sleeves, and a couple small pieces of reflective material sewn into the seams of the back. My wife got it for me at Costco.

And a Kittier is a DIY pannier made out of a kitty-litter bucket, like this. I think I coined the term, so I try to gratuitously mention it as often as possible -- pass it on!
Old 12-09-13, 03:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my coldest commute ever. It was 28 F when I left the house, which is nothing for many of you but well bellow normal for the SF Bay Area. I put on everything I could to keep warm..most my gear was brought expecting lows of around 40 degrees, not 28. Got to use a bunch of the new gear I got and happy to say it performed well. Luckily I found a thin skull cap I got years ago for running in the cold back east to help keep my head and ears warm. My gloves were not warm enough at the start of the commute (gore windstopper), as I didn't buy them for this cold of weather. Decided warmer socks would have been nice too.

While it started cold, I got comfortable as I went, particularly while I did my climb and then go to the slightly warmer temps in San Francisco (probably hit close 40). The sun helped a lot. I didn't get warm enough to open the vents on my jacket, but I did open the front zipper a few inches for the last mile or two out of 16.

I expect the ride home to feel colder, even it temps might be warmer, as there will be no sun to warm me up.
Old 12-09-13, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At around 34, my coldest commute yet. I bought some gloves from Walgreens yesterday for $10, and they held up well .. a bit ungainly to use, but keep my hands warm. The fingerless gloves I normally use were really not cutting it for this weather.
Old 12-09-13, 09:33 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Rode home in about a half inch of snow today. It wasn't too slippery, but I'm apprehensive about tomorrow, especially if it starts to melt and then re-freezes by evening.
Old 12-10-13, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From yesterday: Ran into a fellow bike commuter in a meeting here in the office...with a broken arm from sliding out on wet leaves last week. Be vigilant folks.

Today: Government is closed...I use these days to catch up on email and do general office cleaning. No now yet here in DC, supposedly 4-6 inches. Could be a different world when I emerge from my basement office!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.