Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 04:53 PM

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
The bike itself is hot, all the parts are cool. But until my life ends, I won't understand the exact replica marble paintjob....period. Just like with realy marble the devil lies in the good taste if it ends up beautiful or tasteless. Overdosing it is a no go. Some did those splash paints, which loosely resembled marble. Not necessarily my favorite, but eh, I would not kick out a nice bike with those. But this... Italians are proud of their marble, sure, they were proud of this bike, and I get the context that it is an artwork, like a statue, but for me it is asking for a foil wrap (until resell) to be rideable. But its only me.
Came back a few times to check again if I was too harsh with that marble paint and because I was sure I've seen a similar bike but I was sure it wasn't a Tommasini. The triangle reinforced fork helped me to remember the Modular, masterpiece of Andrea "Laserman" Pesenti (the man who built the Lasers) I have once posted, and look:

Since there are photos of the bike in its "Pesenti form" over the net, but seemingly not a single one as Tommasini besides the one posted by smallfrontwheel , it must be the rarest of rares.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-16-20, 08:34 AM

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by smallfrontwheel
Since I hate to send posts without pics....I will make up for it now:

Above bike is an interesting carbon Colnago that has an understated look to it. Wondering about this model.
smallfrontwheel if you wonder about what model it is, it's a Carbitubo (if you just wonder how cool it is, hell yeah...), designed (many websites claim manufactured) by Alan. Actually a spit-out copy of Alan's Super Record in lo pro, minus the double, thin down tubes and for sure the lower head lug and BB shell to accomodate them, as Colnago being Colnago, unlike the other endless number of brands who sold badge engineered Alan frames (some even keeping the Alan pantos on lugs just changed the sticker), they had to have their own version. An article once claimed they are so rare, that when the guy called Ernesto himself, he asked back surprised, if he's really talking about a carbon twin tube pista lo pro, since he doesn't remember they made these. Then a few days later someone from Colnago called back to confirm they (he actually) built like 5 or so.

Here's another one, looks like it has a 24" front:

and a picture of my Alan Super Record for reference on the lugs and dropout (unfortunately not the carbon version) - it also fits your mention for the zunow pic regarding the background, in its initial form this poor bike really blended in well with the environment both looked like an after war picture.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-16-20, 08:45 AM

Super cool picture. This guy has it down like a gunslinger.
That real wheel looks even better in this beaten up shape compared to other pics in NOS state
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-16-20, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lattz,
PINARELLO "SWORD"
Designed and developed during the last millennium, Pinarello ESPADA was way ahead of its time. It was the bike that Miguel Indurain used while breaking the Hour Record. One of the most iconic bikes ever produced, it is also known as “Pinarello Sword” because espada means sword in English.

Pinarello Espada/ Aero
https://cycling-passion.com/pinarell...r-record-bike/
These two picture here were recently on ebay for like 100k (I don't even remember if USD or EUR, not that it matters - unfortuantely) each. The Mig-signed Banesto is still there if I remember, and the other was new never used and the only one produced in non-Banesto livery.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-16-20, 08:52 AM

Oh yeah.
Thats more or less about the whole Dosi heritage on the net when it comes to lo pros... awesome bikes indeed. But that Bianchi is also no joke.... even if its a different league.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-17-20, 06:03 PM

mmm...mmm...mmm
I always think about the Leader AX as one of the rather underrated Mosers... while "THE" Moser will always remain the Va Por La hora, many think, life just stopped there, well it's not. And man, those colors...

Last edited by Lattz; 10-17-20 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-17-20, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the all the info for sure. Nice Alan bike in your collection! How does the ride feel?

And another tidbit:

This thing looks sleek. Love how the handlebar tape was double diamond wrapped.
Thanks, I must say, I understand why was all the hype around these Alans and the similars (TVT, Vitus) back then... in the above setup it is 8.6 kgs/18.96 lbs, and it had the 40th birthday last month (minus the cheating "modern" front wheel which is "only ~15 years old)... I have never ridden a top shelf bike, and most likely never will (especially not modern carbons weighing 5kg) but this thing flies.

This Benotto sums up everything why I'm green with envy about track bikes.... could not be simplier and cleaner...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-17-20, 06:21 PM

I need a room like this. The bikes would just be extra. Notice the ultra rare Ambrosio wheel in the corner with four holes. Probably a prototype.
This would make a good panic room for most of us in this forum I guess. Any problem could occur, if I lock myself up here, its like asylum.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-17-20, 06:27 PM

There are a few interesting things going on here... anyone wants to make a guess?

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 01:58 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't often look in on this thread. Whenever I do, I get back aches.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-18-20, 02:02 PM

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
There are a few interesting things going on here... anyone wants to make a guess?

Whatever you guys might think, this isn't my front gate and bike
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-18-20, 05:59 PM

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Sure we believe you.
The wife only allowed 1 bedroom wall be painted Celeste
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-18-20, 06:13 PM

Yeah the colors on that one I posted are cool and not often seen. However the top one you posted here with the green and pink paint job I would KILL for! I love this bike. The color combo has tons of pizazz.....way cool. But what really makes the bike for me is those stupendously great white FIR wheels.....JEEEEEZ.....fantastic. They just look so good and boy are they bloody well expensive. If I bought them I would be eating p&j sandwiches for a year. I almost tried getting a pair but the front wheel was a 700 and I wanted 650. And that is a nice saddle on the second one. Plus the bottom one has killer colors too. The TT world back then was about speed AND being flash! Very cool post.
Thanks, these really make my eye pop, and they are good at something I really like... I really appreciate if someone can make something (be it bike, car cloth, painting, anything) which overall pleases my eyes from shapes/colors whatever I usually don't like... e.g. I'm sick of neon or vibrant colors besides marker pens and safety equipment, where it is the functional point, but, would the wonder ever happen that I could put my hand on a Lamborghini, I couldn't imagine I would go for any of the "normal colors I prefer on most of the cases". Pistacchio or Magenta or Neon Orange... Same with Bianchi, even when I had mine, I insisted, that the seafoam green is a horrid color, but it happens to be the most beautiful on the Bianchis... Would someone ever told me a few years back I might want a neon or magenta or burgundy racing bike, would have rolled on the floor shouting its not me. Once I missed out a buy on that last color version magenta frame for a laughable amount of money, needless to say I badly miss it.

Well as you like that neon bike, and also the FIR front, here's another pic of the same with black wheels. I guess its not any more common in black, but here the whites work better (plus I'm unsure about that rear...Usually these Moser wheels were Ambrosios). I still need the front wheel of the golden one the FIR Aria650c.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 06:28 PM

You do need to tell us....seriously. It looks almost like a secret cult compound. Like maybe there is a Bianchi Illuminati organization and the bike's top tube and the gate make a secret symbol together or something. Or is it just demented syncronicity or something?
There's definitely the organization behind those gates, its the factory gate. What caught my eyes is I have seen this bike many times in articles, but only yesterday felt somehow strange. Then it popped in, its not in the usual Mercatone yellow/blueish celeste, as it can be seen all over the web with Pantani but the pure green older color. The other interesting thing (at least for me) is the disc brake. Since yesterday I re-read one of the "factory visit" articles, where it is described, that this might have been the first road bikes with disk brakes. It was made for the Russian Evgeni Berzin, from titanium (the big tubes were folded from sheets) but he found it too heavy so it was not used (I wonder what "heavy might have meant back in 1996 on the top level). But this became the base for Pantani's machine. Anyway... cool as cool can be if you ask me.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't often look in on this thread. Whenever I do, I get back aches.
Tom, I guess its a confirmation that something is done properly here, a mostly lo pro thread could not get a better compliment.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcala622
The wife only allowed 1 bedroom wall be painted Celeste
So the rest are Gios blue?
Old 10-18-20, 07:49 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Tom, I guess its a confirmation that something is done properly here, a mostly lo pro thread could not get a better compliment.
True. No particular design is for everyone, and no one will like all kinds. I've always had an inflexible back, even when I was young.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-18-20, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by noglider
True. No particular design is for everyone, and no one will like all kinds. I've always had an inflexible back, even when I was young.
That's right, and on top there is another side of the whole thing. Just because one likes something, it does not necessary implies that 1., it is the best thing 2., he needs it as well.

There are people on forums talking about battleships or fighter planes... I could sit and watch the '61 Ferrari "sharknose" Formula car all day, but it doesn't mean it would make it or I would like it as a good daily commuter or shopper car.

Most of the bikes here we have (an most likely will) never see in our lives, but adore them for how they are made or look like, how rare they are, or what certain sportsmen achieved with them. While surely would be fun to just own all of them (like to own said Ferrari as well), with racing cars, bikes, motorcycles and plenty of other things it is senseless to put them on the scale seeking for sense in a real life context. These are still purpose-made racing equipment, and it didn't change just because they are affordable to a few more people than formula cars or jet planes. But I guess every person has a thing - not necessary a bike, anything - where there is the clear separation when one certain object triggers emotions and the other "more or less the same" one triggers rationality. In my case my road bikes are singing to my heart and eyes, but the city bikes talk to my A55, my neck and wrist pain, carry the kid around and bring home the stuff I shop. As said, your comment is a complement here.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 09:16 PM

I like old ads like this... and Stelbel as well...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-18-20, 09:27 PM

While the frame is nice, I guess the seat steals the show here (both for the fans and the haters).

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-19-20, 01:34 AM

Particularly like the large chain ring and handlebars on this.
Funny how the crank looks like they borrowed it from a kids bike. I guess that chainring would make my EGOist a cool lo pro... its almost big enough for a front wheel.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-19-20, 06:26 PM

must be something special...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-19-20, 07:17 PM

Looks like Tommasini was not the only one who jumped on the Pesenti Modular bandwagon.. unless its a Pesenti or Tommasini badge engineered for sponsor reasons. I guess we'll never know.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-19-20, 07:21 PM

Talking about "Laserman" Pesenti, he also contributed to the "Battaglin Piranha" shaped era as well... I've never seen this until now, but knew after the Laser times were over
and he started to make bikes under his name, and for others, he bacame a well respected pioneer in the carbon bike evolution with several patented solutions.

Old 10-19-20, 07:25 PM

One last for "yesterday"... it looks like it was the "as soon as we talked about it, I've found new pics" day.. I admit the more I look at it, the more I like this.
At first sight it immediately landed in a remote corner of my brain where I store memories of the expedimental Cannondale on skate wheels.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-19-20 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For Lattz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.