Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Forced to sign a Legal Release when purchasing a bicycle?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Forced to sign a Legal Release when purchasing a bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 08:26 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
No need to post the store or location.

I've had to sign releases for the last 2 bikes I bought. It's brought about by lovely lawsuits like this:

A man riding his bike home from work at night with no lights, only reflectors, was hit by a Jeep after the driver ran a stop sign. The bicyclist sued the bike manufacturer because he was not warned that reflectors might not be enough to prevent an accident. The man was awarded $6 million.

https://www.assetprotectioncorp.com/stupidlawsuits.html
Did you marry the guy?

Old 09-05-13, 08:53 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by dm83
No one can legally force you to sign anything, not even the cops.
However when you have market collusion and monopolies, corporations have undue influence in their relationship with consumers...who don't have other competitive options (the underpinning of capitalism). It's really no different than price fixing and other illegal non-competitive behavior that we rarely enforce anymore.

Think Paypal forcing through their egregious amended policies whereby members give up class action tort rights and sign on to offensive policies regarding their ebay relationship. There isn't a viable competitor (and they bought a 20% stake in Craigslist to limit them as an option, which should never have been permitted).
Old 09-05-13, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I regret using the word "Forced" when naming this thread. I intended to inquire as to whether the practice of *hiding* legal release language on a check-out sheet was becoming common-place.

I purchase a few bikes each year for myself and my family and I was surprised that two different larger store chains attempted to play this game. I imagine that most parents might just sign the form presented to them in an effort to leave the store and move-on to other errands.

In my case I tend to read all the fine print before I sign anything and I often cross-out and initial any portions I don't agree with on a document. When the store presented me with the document it was all done with a gentle, "Just sign here to acknowledge that we assembled and checked the bike for you". Upon reading the fine print I discovered they were asking me to sign-away much more.

I'm not a lawyer but I do consider myself an educated and loyal customer.

...they not only lost the sale. They lost me as a customer.

We all know that in the right state, with the right lawyer that these contracts would be thrown-out and disallowed by the judge.

I am clear that the intent of these forms is an effort by the stores to limit nuisance lawsuits. But there is also a right-way to present these legal forms and I believe they should (1) present them up-front before customer purchases the bicycle, (2) don't attempt to obscure the language within other paperwork and (3) make sure the policy is consistent among all hazardous equipment that a store sells.

...had I known about the stores' policy before waiting for the bike to be assembled I would have saved myself the time, mileage and aggravation when dealing with this store.

So thank you for all the comments on my first thread here at BikeForums.net. I appreciate all of the feedback from the community.
Old 09-05-13, 09:42 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
The release will not prevent you from bringing a liability suit for any product defect or because the shop performed defective work. Nor will it raise legal fees, since attorneys take these cases on a contingency fee basis, taking a set percentage of any award.

However, it can prevent you for bringing suits for things like failure to warn, or selling an inappropriate bike. The release is usually combined with a checklist, where you confirm such things as knowing or being told the laws of your state, were reminded to wear a helmet, know how to use a quick release, and so on. This can prevent a number of the most common suits or help a dealer prevail if for instance you have an accident because you misused the QR when mounting a wheel.

As such, it isn't an unreasonable requirement, and is really no worse than you signing that you got the bike.

BTW- I don't know about other states, but in NY courts usually disregard broad releases, but will uphold clear and narrowly defined terms, such as "I was shown and understand how to use a quick release" or "I was given an owners manual and told to read it before riding".

Years ago, I was involved with a nonprofit that ran weekend and longer trips for youth. We had parents sign releases, which included things like saying the trips included riding on public roads where there was always the risk of being hit by a car, or crashing because of road conditions such as gravel, sand or potholes. It also stated that leaders were not mechanics, and it was up to parents to make the bikes were safe, and trippers to report any problems. There was more specific language, and we and our insurers had an excellent record preventing suits for injuries sustained on trips and prevailing in the few that went that far.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-05-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering the terms and conditions we have all agreed to in using our devices, the applications residing therein and this web site this whole discussion is a bit funny. Odd?
Old 09-05-13, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
When I worked for a ski shop that included rentals, we were instructed by our company legal group on how to explain the rental agreement. The agreement included a release of liability waiver. The legal group informed us that even though they signed this waiver, the signed document could not waive the customers rights. It was mostly a deterrent. The customer would be less likely to pursue legal action after they signed the waiver.
Old 09-05-13, 11:08 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The release will not prevent you from bringing a liability suit for any product defect or because the shop performed defective work. Nor will it raise legal fees, since attorneys take these cases on a contingency fee basis, taking a set percentage of any award.

However, it can prevent you for bringing suits for things like failure to warn, or selling an inappropriate bike. The release is usually combined with a checklist, where you confirm such things as knowing or being told the laws of your state, were reminded to wear a helmet, know how to use a quick release, and so on. This can prevent a number of the most common suits or help a dealer prevail if for instance you have an accident because you misused the QR when mounting a wheel.

As such, it isn't an unreasonable requirement, and is really no worse than you signing that you got the bike.
Thank you for your reasoned response.
Old 09-05-13, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some lawyers refuse to take cases on a contingency. Some will some won't.
Old 09-05-13, 11:18 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by walrus1
Some lawyers refuse to take cases on a contingency. Some will some won't.
That's true, but in the product liability world, just about every decent lawyer works on contingency. If you have a products case and the attorney want's a fixed fee, or to be paid for time, he might be telling you that he doesn't expect to get a settlement worth more than 3x what you're paying him.

I hate contingency fees, and lawyers who work on that basis. But personal feelings aside, if I were seeking a large award for serious injury I'd much rather hire an attorney who works on commission than one paid by the hour.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-05-13, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

I've had to sign releases for the last 2 bikes I bought. It's brought about by lovely lawsuits like this:

A man riding his bike home from work at night with no lights, only reflectors, was hit by a Jeep after the driver ran a stop sign. The bicyclist sued the bike manufacturer because he was not warned that reflectors might not be enough to prevent an accident. The man was awarded $6 million.

Cbad, in the early days of my legal career I handled products liability cases--both from the defense side and from the plaintiff's side.

Reports of "crazy" lawsuits where a plaintiff is awarded a huge verdict are often greatly exaggerated. Even when a jury awards the plaintiff a huge verdict, the defendants will often appeal, getting the verdict reduced by a significant amount.

Without the full details of each of the verdicts listed on that website, we are left to speculate as to the facts of each case. Trust me, jurors don't award mega verdicts unless there is good cause for it. Either that, or the defense attorney was asleep at the switch.

As other have accurately pointed out, the release described by the OP would not hold up in court, it is not worth the paper it is printed on. Those releases are used to deter some buyers--but no court would ever enforce a release that protects a manufacturer or seller from ALL liability.

Also as others have pointed out, watch out for mandatory arbitration clauses; but now courts are beginning to take a closer look at those agreements before enforcing them.
Old 09-05-13, 12:31 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

BTW- I don't know about other states, but in NY courts usually disregard broad releases, but will uphold clear and narrowly defined terms, such as "I was shown and understand how to use a quick release" or "I was given an owners manual and told to read it before riding".

Years ago, I was involved with a nonprofit that ran weekend and longer trips for youth. We had parents sign releases, which included things like saying the trips included riding on public roads where there was always the risk of being hit by a car, or crashing because of road conditions such as gravel, sand or potholes. It also stated that leaders were not mechanics, and it was up to parents to make the bikes were safe, and trippers to report any problems. There was more specific language, and we and our insurers had an excellent record preventing suits for injuries sustained on trips and prevailing in the few that went that far.
I don't agree entirely...attorneys rarely want to go to court and an obstacle often leverages the settlement. Companies obviously think they're gaining something by doing this or they wouldn't spend the time drafting and negotiating the language. Obviously we're speaking in broad terms as it does come down to state by state, contract by contract.
Old 09-08-13, 06:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The people that real tic me off are the lawyers and even worse the juries that hand out huge awards to people that commit stupid acts. Riding at nite with no lights and no reflectors is a stupid act that has nothing to do with the bike manuf.
Old 09-08-13, 06:47 AM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The people that real tic me off are the lawyers and even worse the juries that hand out huge awards to people that commit stupid acts. Riding at nite with no lights and no reflectors is a stupid act that has nothing to do with the bike manuf.
Really doubtful that story is the *whole* story, if it's even true at all. It's from a site run by a firm (actually I suspect just one guy) who is trying to sell you a product to 'protect' you from such lawsuits.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-08-13, 08:21 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Really doubtful that story is the *whole* story, if it's even true at all. It's from a site run by a firm (actually I suspect just one guy) who is trying to sell you a product to 'protect' you from such lawsuits.
I bought my bike ten years ago from a Ski Hut location, when I lived in Duluth Minnesota. I never had to sign any 'waiver'. There is one regional chain and one national chain, whom I take my bike to when I need to have something checked out. I would think any such 'waiver' would extend to parts, labor, and the warranty.
Old 09-08-13, 08:32 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Just curious.... have these legal releases, pertaining to bicycles, been a recent implementation, or is my LBS behind the times? In my last bicycle purchase, 3 years ago, I did not sign any legal release.
Old 09-08-13, 04:18 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by rydabent
Your intelligence level and capacity for rational thought is exactly why I want juries and judges making those decisions...and not dogmatic ideologues.
Old 09-08-13, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Your intelligence level and capacity for rational thought is exactly why I want juries and judges making those decisions...and not dogmatic ideologues.
And if he's on the jury?

Old 09-08-13, 05:51 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

And if he's on the jury?

At least he's not the sole member, and there's a screening process, but point is well taken.
Old 09-08-13, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I bought my bike ten years ago from a Ski Hut location, when I lived in Duluth Minnesota. I never had to sign any 'waiver'. There is one regional chain and one national chain, whom I take my bike to when I need to have something checked out. I would think any such 'waiver' would extend to parts, labor, and the warranty.
Cool. I was just in Ski Hut yesterday. Love them.
Old 09-09-13, 10:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The above case has surfaced several times in this discussion, without any description. Here's my description.

Johnson vs Rivera & Derby Cycle:
Essex County Superior, NJ. 1993 I assisted Ken Berkowitz of Blume, Vazquez, Goldfaden, Berkowitz & Donnelly, attorneys for plaintiff. Johnson, a high-school student, purchased a Nishiki bicycle, manufactured to Derby's specification, specifically for transportation to and from his evening job. The bicycle was equipped with 10 reflectors (the all-reflector system) and while the owner's manuals for Derby's bicycles described the reflectors and how to care for them they didn't warn that the reflector system was unsafe for use at night and that a headlamp was absolutely necessary for safe operation at night. Johnson trusted to the reflectors and didn't use a headlamp. As Johnson descended a hill with a coasting speed of about 30-35 mph, a car climbing the hill suddenly turned left directly in front of him because the motorist did not see Johnson. Johnson was left permanently disabled physically, mentally and emotionally. The case appeared to be fairly simple: motor-vehicle headlamps on low beam direct insufficient light to the left side of the road to illuminate reflectors to the extent required for conspicuity, whereas bicycle headlamps provide sufficient illumination. I corroborated from my own experience the data of psychological experts that few of the public understand the ineffectiveness of reflectors in such traffic-accident conditions, but that fact should have been known to experts in the bicycle business. Derby's expert, James Green, disagreed with these points and wrote a report raising other points: that Johnson was speeding, that he should have yielded to the left-turning motorist, that the car was moving slowly, that the impact point was on the wrong part of the road; advancing an accident reconstruction based on these points. I testified on the correct methods for calculating and measuring speeds and for reconstructing accidents, showing that these gave different results than Green maintained. Further testimony by Derby's officials showed that they believed that the all-reflector system to be safe for riding at night and that they were mistaken about both the safety and the legal requirements for cycling at night. That is why they didn't know how to write a proper safety manual. The jury found the accident to be entirely Derby's fault and awarded $7 million to plaintiff.

Note why the jury made its reward. The federal government requires bicycle manufacturers to supply instructions about dangerous conditions, including cycling at night. Derby failed to provide such instruction, concealing its absence among material about reflectors. Derby's officials stated under oath that they had no idea that headlamps were necessary, or even legally required when cycling at night. Bicycle manufacturers in the USA, and they don't know that about the use of their product? Managerial negligence. Furthermore, while it is irrelevant it certainly did not help them, they employed an expert who spent a lot of money putting up cock-and-bull hypotheses that were easily disproved.
Old 09-09-13, 10:34 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I wonder why the federal government doesn't require car manufacturers to supply information about dangerous conditions?
Old 09-09-13, 11:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I wonder why the federal government doesn't require car manufacturers to supply information about dangerous conditions?
That has long been the prerogative of the individual states with their licensing procedures.

But I can tell you how bicycles came to be regulated in this way. Statistics stated that the consumer product most associated with injuries was bicycles. The really dangerous items, alcohol, tobacco, and firearms, were out of reach because they already had their regulatory agency. So the anti-business consumer activists of the late 1960s raised a clamor about the need for bicycle safety regulation. When the Consumer Product Safety Commission of the United States came into existence, the start of work on the bicycle regulation became the CPSC's first big project. The basic idea was that most deaths and injuries associated with bicycle use were caused by defective design and defective manufacturing. But even when the data were searched for such causes, there were very few. After all, most injuries associated with bicycle use come from falling off. Of course, the Bicycle Manufacturers Association immediately became involved, and presented their specification BMA/6 for consideration. This was a specification for toy bicycles that excluded real bicycles. There was a hell of a flap over that, but it got sorted out so that both toy and real bicycles became permitted. The BMA had two hopes for the regulation: it would stop the importation of cheap (meaning Taiwanese) (rather a different world than today's?) bicycles and it would have nationwide uniformity, so that manufacturers did not have to provide different kits of equipment (reflectors being the big variable) for each state. And, the BMA insisted, there must be no headlamp requirement, absolutely not and never. The BMA dazzled CPSC cycling-ignorant officials with displays of reflectors in front of motor-vehicle headlamps that were irrelevant in the traffic-cycling context. And they have done it ever since, whenever the question of nighttime protective equipment has come up. Reflectors are entirely adequate, so they claim.

Now do you understand why it was a good thing that the directors of Derby Cycle got hit for $7 million for failing to provide the legally required instruction that safety requires the use of a headlamp when cycling at night?
Old 09-09-13, 12:20 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
Now do you understand why it was a good thing that the directors of Derby Cycle got hit for $7 million for failing to provide the legally required instruction that safety requires the use of a headlamp when cycling at night?
No. But then I also understand that coffee is generally hot. (the last statement a comment on the tort system in the US)
Old 09-09-13, 12:21 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Every owner's manual to every car I've ever owned is full of information warning of dangerous conditions. How to drive in the rain, in the snow, on dry roads, speed to adhere by, how to recover from dangerous conditions such as losing traction and spinning. Seatbelt warnings, airbag warnings. Warnings of dangerous conditions are plastered right inside the vehicle since I've always had at least 1 4WD vehicle that it doesn't handle like a small passenger car and shouldn't be driven the same.
Old 09-09-13, 01:00 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
No. But then I also understand that coffee is generally hot. (the last statement a comment on the tort system in the US)
The last is also a statement from someone who hasn't actually reviewed the McDonald's hot coffee incident. The McDonalds in question was serving coffee that was ridiculously in excess of anything that could be considered reasonable, had gotten numerous complaints, and the injuries were really quite bad - there are photos. I thought it was a silly ruling too, until I read the facts of the case and saw the photos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.