Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 01:02 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Cuz game of thrones is Sunday night!
Couldn't you just google "boobs and dragons" and be done with it?

my race videos
Old 08-07-17, 01:13 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Couldn't you just google "boobs and dragons" and be done with it?
You know nothing, Jon Snow. There were no boobs in tonight's episode. The dragon scene was pretty bad ass though.
Old 08-07-17, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
You know nothing, Jon Snow. There were no boobs in tonight's episode. The dragon scene was pretty bad ass though.
It was a good episode. I'm tempted to make a comment about it, but I don't know if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
Old 08-07-17, 07:25 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can't stay up late enough to watch so I thank you to not spoil GoT in the race results thread. dorks.
Old 08-07-17, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
In general or Sunday evening?
I wonder if it would make a difference if it was on Saturday.
I can dig it. But wouldn't that apply to someone at pretty much any Sunday crit?

I guess they could start earlier.. oh wait he runs like 30 fields, I think they start at 8 AM as it is.
Saturday would be easier. On Sunday, the P12 ends around 6, leave there around 630 or 7, home at 9 if traffic is light. Blah.

Sunday crits are fine ... if they're either closer to home or wrap up at a more reasonable hour. When I was doing the 3/4 it wasn't bad because we'd be done around 3.
Old 08-07-17, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I can't stay up late enough to watch so I thank you to not spoil GoT in the race results thread. dorks.
When I used to wake up at 5 everyday, I couldn't stay up to watch it either, and would usually view it on Monday evening. So, I understand.
Old 08-07-17, 11:18 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
dorks.
Spoiler alert: the dragon saved the princess.

Or was it the other way around?

my race videos
Old 08-07-17, 03:12 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Or was it the other way around?
I will tune in to find out.
Old 08-07-17, 04:17 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking I had a crappy season, but then I went and looked at my average placing over the past 4 seasons.

2014: 10th
2015: 10th
2016: 8th
2017: 12th

So it was below average but I guess it doesn't qualify as crappy.
Old 08-07-17, 05:10 PM

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Oh hey, is it time for season recaps?

Off season mode is officially engaged. 4 wins this year, two of which were in decent sized fields, two from tiny fields where our team was a majority. 19/30 points towards cat 2. Learned more about breakaway/attack timing, but didn't contest too many field sprints despite the numbers suggesting I should be decent at them. Got to do a few stage races/omniums, which were fun but sadly did not yield the easy points I'd hoped for. Learned a lot about teamwork this year, as I was able to race with a good group that's all on a similar footing in terms of fitness. Work still needs to be done on fitness (of course), and bike handling in larger fields/technical courses. There were definitely a couple of times where timid cornering cost me a better placing.

Next season's goals revolve around getting stronger and beating this really strong pro triathlete that has been going OTF in just about every crit. Or, umm, getting my upgrade points, helping out any teammates that are trying to upgrade, and then playing bike racing on an increased difficulty level and probably getting my butt kicked a lot for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-09-17, 07:17 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Nice season Matt! It was fun racing with you! I'm looking forward to training for next season all ready - these last few weeks of laziness and general inactivity are starting to get on my nerves.

My current plan is to start base in September. Let's do some long rides!
Old 08-09-17, 07:35 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Since I'm officially back on the bike now, my base starts tomorrow.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-09-17, 10:32 PM
**** that

Originally Posted by revchuck
Since I'm officially back on the bike now, my base starts tomorrow.
Congrats to getting back on the bike!! What a good feeling. (even if you feel super weak at first, and feel like you'll never get back to where you were.. but you will)

my race videos
Old 08-10-17, 12:04 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Ha! I'm only on my third week of relatively low training and I'm already a fair bit below that mid-season fitness plateau. I did manage to get a decent workout this morning however, albeit 20 w down from peak season form
Old 08-12-17, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
So mad. First flat road race in months. I flatted again. That makes 3 flats in the last 3 flat road races this year. It was a decently long race also at 88 miles, and legs were still good at 59 miles when I flatted. I think I could have got top 10.

It was relatively windless today. Sat in the back for the first hour, then moved up surfing top 10-15 but saving energy. We hit the rollers after the start finish and I had drifted a bit too far back. Got super fast apparently - I was feeling ok but gaps were forming everywhere. Managed to hop into the second group and we chased down the front group. Just then someone attacked and strung us out in the gutter. Hit a giant pothole and that was that.
Old 08-12-17, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
What we expected to be on Sunday (our mistake), raining and wet with possible snow turned out to be a beautiful day Saturday. Junior has put on a lot of gym weight lately and finished 2 weeks of survival training, yesterday was a parade with standing and marching. Been a long time since everyone was so happy with 5th.

I *think* this is the only USA National Championship to be truly open class. Of course the Colorado Classic was going on up the road, so I expect that might have changed the results a bit if some had wanted to hill climb.
Congratulations to Phil Gaimon who really made it a race for 2nd. He had a couple filming crew and this may show up on his YouTube Worst Retirement series in a month or two. I see a RR more than Strava KOM attempt being a good thing. Times do show up on Strava, but that wasn't the story. 3rd place Leroy still holds the KOM. Phil missed it by 2 seconds. However this was more a RR than a TT, or KOM hunt. There was some minor marking etc. where the riders were racing for placing rather than time. Junior said Phil started slower that he needed to. Still these days a Strava KOM up Pikes Peak would be a nice thing to have. Might be the last year for us (junior) for hill climbing as focus will be the track now. But never know. It was a great day especially considering what we expected.

Not much to watch here. Roads were closed to cars. I got some good parking lot time with David Towle. I had never personally met him.

So the podium.
Nat Hill Climb Championship 20170812_104455 sm.jpg

And as I said, not much racing here (closed course) so not posting in the racing videos. Just "normal" Relieve and rah rah video.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1130171612

Old 08-12-17, 05:44 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Might be the last year for us (junior) for hill climbing as focus will be the track now. But never know. It was a great day especially considering what we expected.
Sad to hear he is done with climbing. Of note to you.. I sent an email to USAC last fall about a u23 hour record. I don't know where He wants to put his focus on the track, but this was their response. Something to look into if he wants to carry some of his TT ability over to the track.

The UCI does not recognize the hour record for U23, only overall men and Best Performance for masters:

3.5.001 The UCI shall recognise solely World Track Records in the following categories and specialities:

Flying start:
All categories: 200 m and 500 m.
Standing start:
Men: Team Sprint (on 250m track only), 1 km, 4 km, 4 km team, hour record

Women: Team Sprint (on 250m track only), 500 m, 3 km, 4 km team, hour record
Junior Men: Team Sprint (on 250m track only), 1 km, 3 km, 4 km team
Junior Women: Team Sprint (on 250m track only), 500 m, 2 km, 4 km team

USA Cycling has not recognized a U23 record either. We can consider this for the 2017 regulations.

Chuck
Old 08-13-17, 10:57 PM
**** that

Suisun Harbor Crit p/1/2 - WON IT!

Short four-corner crit (800m?) with lots of wind and smooth roads. Main feature of the course are two sets of plastic pylons in the road on the exit of turn two. Never seen anyone hit them but I'm sure it's happened, and they make for some exciting racing.

This is one of the bigger crits in Norcal, but not in terms of money or crowd size - more like prestige. So everyone wants to win it.. I got 5th last year, 8th the year before that. I had it marked on my training calendar since about October as a race I wanted to win, feeling that I could get lucky and do it. And I did it!

About 40 starters, 22 finishers. Lots of attacks pretty much the whole time - attacks on top of attacks, the usual. A couple of the big-time local sprinters were there, two of them with teammates.

I put in one or two attacks, and was otf a few times and/or chasing someone who was. It was hard. Not surprised we dropped half the field.

Given how short the laps are (50 seconds?), I treated two to go like one to go, made sure I was up front, about 8th wheel. One of the sprinter's teams was doing a leadout, I jumped them on the backside coming in to turn 3 (into the headwind) and held it to the line!! Won by a few bike lengths. No post-up due to the wind.

It was nice to be on the top step of the podium with some of the big names in local crit racing!

my race videos
Old 08-14-17, 01:51 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Hell yeah, Matt!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-14-17, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Suisun Harbor Crit p/1/2 - WON IT!

It was nice to be on the top step of the podium with some of the big names in local crit racing!
Congrats!
Old 08-14-17, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Way to go Matt!
Old 08-14-17, 08:00 AM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bittersweet end to my "season" (Still have GMSR upcoming but I am doing that more as a participation race than a "I am going to crush this").

Tokeneke P1 + 2 (4th Cat1, 7th overall). This was an exceedingly strange race. They separated the fields with prize money and podiums, both fields were small (about 15 each) but we raced together. This was also the NE regional championship but apparently there was not good communication and the regional championship was a combined 1 and 2 field. They need to be more specific about how this stuff works out or just give us a combined field and say "Have at it".

Anyways, teammate got into the early break and spent about half the race OTF with me patrolling the field and shutting down break attempts. Eventually the field was animated enough to cut down the time from a high of 2:30. This is where it gets odd. J-Pow was in the field and he decided to animate the race with some attacks. Okay, cool, but of course he animates it with some questionable attacks extremely close to the feed zone. We end up getting a field split and catch up to my teammate and the two other breakaway riders and proceed to drill it for the next 2 laps until we are down to about 8 of us.

We take turns punching, counter punching and eventually just tiring ourselves out, lucky for me my teammate was able to rally and stick with this move after having spent most of the race in a break.

We more or less came to the last climb together with the two guys who had been smart and sat back while the attacks flew and those guys took off about halfway up the ~5 minute finishing climb. Our local legend / power-house Tim goes on after them with me simply suffering on his wheel, I pop with about a minute to go left in the climb, my teammate comes around me and jumps on Tim's wheel and Tim drags him and two others up to the pair that attacked. My teammate ends up coming around Tim at the end at 500M to go and ends up getting 4th in the sprint while I trail in behind by about 30 seconds for my 4th/7th place.

Teammate gets 2nd for New England overall which made me extremely happy, but I am kicking myself for not having more in the tank going up that last climb to help him out in the end and nab a better place for myself.

Weird race, could have gone better, could have gone worse.

Last edited by dz_nuzz; 08-15-17 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarification and spelling.
Old 08-14-17, 06:38 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Nice racing @dz_nuzz, and awesome win @mattm! Totally badass! Turns out that taking a while off the bike mid-season to care for a sick family member does wonders for race results
Old 08-14-17, 06:57 PM
**** that

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Bittersweet end to my "season" (Still have GMSR upcoming but I am doing that more as a participation race than a "I am going to crush this").

Tokeneke P1 + 2 (4th Cat1, 7th overall). This was an exceedingly strange race. They separated the fields with prize money and podiums, both fields were small (about 15 each) but we raced together. This was also the NE regional championship but apparently there was not good communication and the regional championship was a combined 1 and 2 field. They need to be more specific about how this stuff works out or just give us a combined field and say "Have at it".

Anyways, teammate got into the early break and spent about half the race OTF with me patrolling the field and shutting down break attempts. Eventually the field was animated enough to cut down the time from a high of 2:30. This is where it gets odd. J-Pow was in the field and he decided to animate the race with some attacks. Okay, cool, but of course he animates it with some questionable attacks extremely close to the feed zone. We end up getting a field split and catch up to my teammate and the two other breakaway riders and proceed to drill it for the next 2 laps until we are down to about 8 of us.

We take turns punching, counter punching and eventually just tiring ourselves out, lucky for me my teammate was able to rally and stick with this move after having spent most of the race in a break.

We more or less came to the last climb together with the two guys who had been smart and sat back while the attack flew took off about halfway up the ~5 minute finishing climb. Our local legend / power house Tim goes on after them with me simply suffering on his wheel, I pop with about a minute to go left in the climb, my teammate comes around me and jumps on Tim's wheel and Tim drags him and two others up to the pair that attacked. My teammate ends up coming around Tim at the end at 500M to go and ends up getting 4th in the sprint while I trail in behind by about 30 seconds for my 4th/7th place.

Teammate gets 2nd for New England overall which made me extremely happy, but I am kicking myself for not having more in the tank going up that last climb to help him out in the end and nab a better place for myself.

Weird race, could have gone better, could have gone worse.
Man, I hate scored-separate fields! Nice racing though.

my race videos
Old 08-15-17, 09:12 AM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am bad, I tend to just post in here and never read back up the list
@mattm Great job dude! Always nice to add to that win count!
@aaronmcd That stinks, sorry to hear about the flat.
@TMonk and @revchuck Sometimes I envy being able to start base / low intensity when the weather is still nice out. Those are the kind of rides that remind me that I don't actually hate my bike which is how I always feel around this time of the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.