Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Bike for Large Riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Inexpensive Bike for Large Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 01:53 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in, I agree that a mountain bike sounds good. IMHO, a non-suspension MTB bike might be best. The tires, which should be new (fairly fresh at least), will provide some "suspension". An old steel MTB in top shape for $50 to $100 +/- would be a good start. Good fit, good tires, good brake pads, reasonably well adjusted components, and wheels that spin true (aligned). Start slow with it, make sure it works right and will hold up. (If pro athlete or similar, disregard the following comments) ... If you STICK with cycling and cut down on the troublesome 3 (fats, salt and sugar), try to eliminate fast and processed foods, and drink water, you should drop weight over a course of time. Think months not minutes. Make it a routine. Don't worry about it. A touring bike, IMHO, would be a good choice at 250, drop bar or flat bar performance road bike at 225. An older Schwinn Suburban, mentioned above, may also work. They are seriously well made. Just watch out for rusted spokes. Again, just my 2 cents. Newer, inexpensive bikes have flimsy alloy rims that "taco" (bend, fold up). I wouldn't trust the forks, suspension or rigid, either. I ride alot, group rides and solo, worked as a bike mechanic in college, and have ridden alot of bikes alot of miles. It is a pretty
good addiction.

​​​​​
Old 04-29-20, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I weigh 280 and get on fine with an aluminum frame, used trek 7200 hybrid bike having 36 spokes each wheel, bought at lbs with new cassete, chain and tire for $280.00. Watching ads on line I recently got a used fuji touring bike that has a 40 spoke rear and 36 spoke front, steel frame. Needed some work, not quite done, will have about $400.00 in it pretty much rebuilt when done. I joined the bike co-op in my city for $35 and they held my hand on all work, got some parts free, learned a lot. If you have access to such a source I highly reccomend that path.
Old 04-29-20, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geezerdan
I weigh 280 and get on fine with an aluminum frame, used trek 7200 hybrid bike having 36 spokes each wheel, bought at lbs with new cassete, chain and tire for $280.00. Watching ads on line I recently got a used fuji touring bike that has a 40 spoke rear and 36 spoke front, steel frame. Needed some work, not quite done, will have about $400.00 in it pretty much rebuilt when done. I joined the bike co-op in my city for $35 and they held my hand on all work, got some parts free, learned a lot. If you have access to such a source I highly reccomend that path.
what’s lbs?
Old 04-29-20, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayb2k2
what’s lbs?
lbs= local bike shop
Old 04-29-20, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
I'm going to think outside the box and suggest for your consideration a beach cruiser. Built pretty tough and simple maintenance. Then if you get into cycling you can decide on a better quality bike of your choosing latter after you reach some of your goals
When I got back into riding I used my old beach cruiser. Rode a lot of miles on it. When I realized I was going to stick to it I went the $500 hybrid route.
Old 04-29-20, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 240 Posts
Also I would look at this place for an extra strength 48 spoke bike polo wheel / wheelset.
https://boxwoodbicyclepolo.com/wheels.html
Likes For stevel610:
Old 05-04-20, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started out where you are. I went down to the local bike shop and picked up a used specialized hardrock mountain bike. Then I changed out the tires for something like Hutchinson Acrobats.

The fork was trashed when I got it, and when it bothers me enough I will swap it out with a geometry correct fixed fork. This bike came in at $315 plus $60 for the new tires and another $30 for some wider handlebars, another $50 for some BMX style pedals (I put most pressure on the outside of my feet. After 1 year, I trashed out the rear wheel, but that was my fault. I got too ambitious on a trail that was a little too technical for me. A new wheel was another $110 dollars.
So after 4 years of ownership (not counting small accessories (toolbag, tubes, lights for commuting,frame pumps) I am in for about $500.

Along the way I bought a steel road bike $200, and sold it (shouldn't have). Also I picked up a Kona Dew hybrid about $500, which is awesome for what I want to do. (paved trails, some gravel, to the train station.

In general, check your local bike shop used section, you are going to want to start building a relationship there anyway. Test ride everything that looks even remotely possible. You can tell within just a few minutes if it will feel good.

There is a huge quality difference from 300 to 500. And if you cant afford it at the beginning, just buy the best you can, and be willing to spend on it as you go. I log my miles and "pay" myself 55 cents a mile for parts. That way, when I know I want some new light system, I only have 4 x 15 mile rides to go.

Do not cheap out on parts where your body meets the machine. Buy a saddle, handlebars, pedals that fit good. I still use the factory seat (it's fine) but I have upgraded the handlebars to bring them higher, and spread out my hands, and pedals.

Hope this helps.
Likes For cbass377:
Old 05-04-20, 03:53 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3902 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by cbass377
I started out where you are. I went down to the local bike shop and picked up a used specialized hardrock mountain bike. Then I changed out the tires for something like Hutchinson Acrobats.

The fork was trashed when I got it, and when it bothers me enough I will swap it out with a geometry correct fixed fork. This bike came in at $315 plus $60 for the new tires and another $30 for some wider handlebars, another $50 for some BMX style pedals (I put most pressure on the outside of my feet. After 1 year, I trashed out the rear wheel, but that was my fault. I got too ambitious on a trail that was a little too technical for me. A new wheel was another $110 dollars.
So after 4 years of ownership (not counting small accessories (toolbag, tubes, lights for commuting,frame pumps) I am in for about $500.

Along the way I bought a steel road bike $200, and sold it (shouldn't have). Also I picked up a Kona Dew hybrid about $500, which is awesome for what I want to do. (paved trails, some gravel, to the train station.

In general, check your local bike shop used section, you are going to want to start building a relationship there anyway. Test ride everything that looks even remotely possible. You can tell within just a few minutes if it will feel good.

There is a huge quality difference from 300 to 500. And if you cant afford it at the beginning, just buy the best you can, and be willing to spend on it as you go. I log my miles and "pay" myself 55 cents a mile for parts. That way, when I know I want some new light system, I only have 4 x 15 mile rides to go.

Do not cheap out on parts where your body meets the machine. Buy a saddle, handlebars, pedals that fit good. I still use the factory seat (it's fine) but I have upgraded the handlebars to bring them higher, and spread out my hands, and pedals.
So I can agree with almost everything here, especially the part about a friendly used bike shop. Better if there is a local bike co-operative. The only 1 exception = find/buy used locally on CL/FB market/etc - then take it to fave shop for overhaul, $100 or less. [The exception to my exception (which never really happens) is a killer deal used from the bike shop, as per [utag=263346]cbass377 .]

And my comment regarding the 2 bike entry to cycling is this:
If you are out-of-shape or oversized or just-hate-to-exercise-but-let's-try-cycling;
You have an exercise need and a 'new routine' need - which MIGHT be cycling.
Come in affordably, but find comfy saddle and handlebar and gloves. Geared correctly for your terrain.

If you like the routine and/or see fitness improvement -
you will soon desire bike #2 ,
(and likely deserve it)
more than you can explain to a Sig Other.
And if you get pretty good at the sport = likely #3 .
Folks who get hooked need #4 .
Then people like me,
who want to ride every quality, lightweight, road tubeset made since the 1960's;
but the SO said, "Only Euro from 70s+80s."
A man has to know his limitations
and pick his battles.
Just find good hobbies
with physical rewards.

Here’s some. Never enough.

I used to be more than a stone over 200lbs, as a cyclist with a late night dessert issue.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-04-20 at 04:03 PM.