Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Scored a 1970 Robin Hood on Craigslist, now I have a question!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Scored a 1970 Robin Hood on Craigslist, now I have a question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
Don't know about that 3 in 1 oil. Some of their oils are made for open systems where it's expected to leak and get replaced. they can congeal in a closed system. I just use straight motor oil.
Bike looks great, though.
All British machines leak oil .
Old 09-16-16, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
All British machines leak oil .
Sorry for reviving a totally dead thread, but I want to report back on my Robin Hood. After getting it fixed up, I rode it stock for awhile and enjoyed it as a town bike.

Then I took off the fenders, put Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on it, flipped the North Road bars, and replaced the original John Bull brake pads with Kool Stop Continentals. You can see what it looked like.

I also experimented with some Soma Lauterwasser bars and an old Raleigh quill stem I bought off feeBay. I really do like those bars! Very easy to ride upright or lean into them. You can see a pic of them too.

I plan to use the Lauterwasser bars on another path racer project. That will come in a separate thread. Stay tuned!

As for this, I'm probably going to flip the North Roads back up, put the fenders back on, and enjoy this bike for what it was made for.

Last edited by Dougbloch; 09-16-16 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Picture links not working
Old 09-16-16, 06:32 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 128 Posts
Nice catch for $40. The larger frame sizes are not that easy to find. I had a secondhand '69 Robin Hood when I was a teen. Cost me $45, in pristine shape, from a bike shop. Red with chrome fenders, Brooks B-66, and a Pletsher rear rack. Beautiful bike. The one I liked, and remember, the most.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 09-16-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
Wish I had a bike with "Chrome Genders"! Don
Old 09-16-16, 10:04 AM
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
I built a version of the "path racer myself this year, using Bluemels tour de France fenders, keeping with the made in England theme. mounted continental city ride tires, and stainless spokes inside aluminum rims..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
29215985900_2967bc29f4_z.jpg (96.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-16-16, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you might ride in wet conditions, aluminum rims are a welcome upgrade, just to be able to stop safely. The 590mm Sun CR-18 rim is a drop-in replacement for the original steel rims, and is available in 32, 36, and 40 hole drillings (your bike looks to have traditional British 32h front, 40h rear wheels).
Rebuilding the wheels with sun aluminum rims is the only upgrade I'd consider for this bike, other than putting a Brooks on it.

Swapping the bar and stem would ruin the bike aesthetically, and won't change the performance at all.
Old 09-16-16, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Youtube (or a friendly, local C&Ver) can get you through it.
And patience. Lots of patience.
Old 09-16-16, 01:15 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Wish I had a bike with "Chrome Genders"! Don
Yes, the manly " Chrome Genders" fenders. This is as opposed to the "gender benders" fenders.

BTW, nice job of proofreading!
Old 09-16-16, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougbloch
Sorry for reviving a totally dead thread, but I want to report back on my Robin Hood. After getting it fixed up, I rode it stock for awhile and enjoyed it as a town bike.

Then I took off the fenders, put Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on it, flipped the North Road bars, and replaced the original John Bull brake pads with Kool Stop Continentals. You can see what it looked like.

I also experimented with some Soma Lauterwasser bars and an old Raleigh quill stem I bought off feeBay. I really do like those bars! Very easy to ride upright or lean into them. You can see a pic of them too.

I plan to use the Lauterwasser bars on another path racer project. That will come in a separate thread. Stay tuned!

As for this, I'm probably going to flip the North Roads back up, put the fenders back on, and enjoy this bike for what it was made for.
I like where you are going with the Robin Hood. I tried to turn a Raleigh Sports into a path racer and it just didn't work for me. I replaced the original stem with a GB girder stem from the parts bin and tried that as well, but ended up flipping the bars back to an upright position. Now it feels very comfortable. It has temporary plastic Esge fenders, but tomorrow I hope to buy a parts bike that has aluminum fenders in good condition.

Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0053.jpg (102.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-16-16, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I like where you are going with the Robin Hood. I tried to turn a Raleigh Sports into a path racer and it just didn't work for me. I replaced the original stem with a GB girder stem from the parts bin and tried that as well, but ended up flipping the bars back to an upright position. Now it feels very comfortable. It has temporary plastic Esge fenders, but tomorrow I hope to buy a parts bike that has aluminum fenders in good condition.

Here it is:
Looking good. As I said, I'm about to embark on another path racer project (I just scored a brand new Honey B17 off Craigslist today for $70!) so my plan is to put the fenders back on and the stock stem, as well as flipping the handle bars back over. And I will take it for leisurely rides as it was intended for.
Old 09-16-16, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
My love affair with old 3 speeds goes back to the mid 60s when most kids rode American tanks. I had one for my paper route. Compared to those, an English diamond frame with a 3 speed hub was like a Ferrari to us. Ours were mostly junkers fixed up as best as we could. No fenders or chain guards. Even the kickstands came off. The northroads would get flipped around and maybe, if tips were good, we would spring for a racing seat (anything that wasn't a mattress) or racing pedals (steel). Today it's hard to think of a 30 something pound bike with 1 3/8 tires as sporty, but to us kids back then a stripped down Sports was pretty hot stuff.