Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I just checked out the Garmin 200 which led me to checking the Garmin 510 and then I started thinking "ooh, this is what I need". Then I started checking out gadgets and started thinking "...these too!" I tend to be an easy sell for gadgets, especially tech gadgets. RHM is definitely right that there is a progression.

I have used Google Maps, Map My Ride and Strava at various points but every time I do I remember the runner in Fahrenheit 451 that was nabbed when the police could not nab Guy Montag. I generally keep the GPS turned off on my phone and turn off the Wifi when I am not using it for the same reason, but no, I don't wear tin foil hats.

I like knowing how far I have gone and I like seeing my routes on a map. It does help with planning and has lead to some new discoveries that I might not have found otherwise but I have been going through an 'existential thing' the past few months. I want to simplify my life, put more emphasis on relationships and experiences rather than cramming my days with deadlines and hectic schedules.

I work in IT and there is a bit of desire to escape from that. It seems I want to have my cake and eat it too.
Old 11-07-13, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
On a mid-point turnaround on a group ride this summer, one of the new riders asked me about tracking my ride data (he had a Garmin or somesuch), and how I know whether I'm improving. I said "Son, I've been riding so long that I know how I've ridden on any particular day. And I know my cadence by feel. There's nothing for me to 'study' afterward. It's all inside of me already."

I think that I disappointed him, or that he thought that I was an old curmudgeon...oh well.
I like that, that is great.
Old 11-07-13, 10:11 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Garmin Edge 200. Simple, easy mount system, wireless.

I ride for fitness. So tracking my speed and distance is good motivation to ride a little farther or increase my pace.
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
What he said. The 200 is a dead simple piece of equipment. It works on any bike, no need to worry about sensors mounted to the fork, setting wheel sizes, etc. It comes with two mounts and a pack of 2 more is something like ten bucks. Just put it on the bike and go. I had one for a while and eventually upgraded to the 510 because I wanted to do some HR training and the GPS was more accurate for trail riding. I like it, but sort of miss the simplicity of the 200.
+3

I wouldn't mind the higher end model for the altimeter or cadence sensor, but the 200 does a great job of tracking my speed, distance, and route for later upload to Strava for tracking. For all of you with ADHD you can throw it it a pocket and forget about it...
Old 11-07-13, 10:38 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I haven't had a computer on a bike for years, aand I haven't missed it. If I'm riding in an unfamiliar area, I might mount a GPS, but not always. Sometimes getting a little lost can be a good thing.
Old 11-07-13, 11:20 AM

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As somone else said, I bike to forget computers. I'm an engineer by profession and work in numbers all day, but never on the bike. I do have a number of routes mapped out and know the mileage so I can roughy plan on a 20, 40, or 60 mile ride. Really though I only have 4 qualifications for rides: Fast, slow, long, and short.
Old 11-07-13, 12:02 PM

Bikes: 80' Zullo track bike,84 Lotus Legend,91' Nishiki Prestige,91' Fuji sundance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope. my legs and sometimes my butt tell me when I've gone far enough. as for speed? I ride C&V only. so I'm not to concerned with how fast I go as long as I'm having fun.

Strava sucks and has ruined some hills and sections of the town I live in with old mid life crisis guys speeding and getting almost hit by cars or hitting runners on the multi use path.
Old 11-07-13, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Garmin Edge 200. Simple, easy mount system, wireless.

I ride for fitness. So tracking my speed and distance is good motivation to ride a little farther or increase my pace.
I also ride for fitness and even sometimes for bragging rights. The Garmin Edge 200 is reasonably priced and moves easily from bike to bike. I currently have 6 of those little mounts on various bikes. When I title my rides, I usually name the bike I just rode. It always amazes me that my new bikes, vintage bikes, mountain bike and even my folder come in at similar performance levels over similar courses. I therefore must surmise that it is the "engine" that is slow!
Old 11-07-13, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
There's a progression. If you've never had a computer on your bike, it's a lot of fun to put one on, and look at the numbers while you ride. After you've had that for a while, and the battery dies or the wire gets snafu, the screen goes blank; and after a while you stop looking at it. At this point you start seeing all kinds of stuff around you. And it's great fun to take the computer off your bike and forget about it.

As for wireless computers, they pick up on random signals. I've recorded top speeds well over 100 mph. This screws up everything.

I use Strava and similar aps on an android tablet. These screw up data too, but I like having a map of where I've been.
Well, that's one progression. Another is that after the batteries die in your first computer, you realize how much you enjoyed tracking your progress as a cyclist, and want to take it to the next level. For me, that next level was GPS tracking. GPS tracking has transformed the way I plan my rides. It allows me to retroactively look at the routes I rode and decide which parts of those to incorporate into novel routes. Before GPS, I would have a vague idea of where that great fire road shortcut through the woods was, but it might be so remote that it's not even on an old-school map.

Sure, Strava and other tracking apps exist for smartphones and tablets, and I use Strava for shorter rides, but smartphones and tablets generally aren't sustainable for all-day rides, as GPS kills battery life (my iPhone 5 will get me five hours tops with GPS on). Better to have a dedicated yet inexpensive GPS-enabled cycling computer. I put a GPS computer on my wish-list for this holiday season, and I'm hoping for the Garmin 310, which is actually a GPS watch which I intend to use for running as well as cycling. It's tiny and can't display maps, but I don't care about that, I really just want the tracking and basic stats.

Last edited by southpawboston; 11-07-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 12:33 PM

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I'd vote "Nay"....I haven't gotten around to adding a computer...I probably won't, thankfully...I tried Map-My-Ride twice on my "smart" phone, but found the retrieval too cumbersome and time-wasting. Plus, the phone wasted power worrying about calculating GPS position. That could have negative consequences on a long ride if I need to make a call...
Agreed. I actually am tossing around the idea of lacing up a dyno hub to feed power to a micro USB cable so I can mount my Android to the bars and not run out of fresh electrons.

Somehow, though, I feel it'd take away the vintage-ness of the experience. I may just keep doing what I'm doing: put the phone in jersey pocket, use Maps to get me home if I get lost (which I'm prone to), and just enjoy the ride.
Old 11-07-13, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 16Victor
Agreed. I actually am tossing around the idea of lacing up a dyno hub to feed power to a micro USB cable so I can mount my Android to the bars and not run out of fresh electrons.

Somehow, though, I feel it'd take away the vintage-ness of the experience. I may just keep doing what I'm doing: put the phone in jersey pocket, use Maps to get me home if I get lost (which I'm prone to), and just enjoy the ride.
You're going to want to process that dyno output in multiple ways before you feed into into that Anrdoid!!!
Old 11-07-13, 12:39 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I don't believe there is a right or wrong, depends on your goals, and what aspects of your ride you wish to know. I started out riding without one, never did get one during the 80s. I began adding them (this century) to gauge trips mostly. Now that I'm exploring unridden territory.
It's like food, sometimes you want to know what the ingredients are, and sometimes you only care about how it tastes and wish to be surprised.

Knowing or not knowing personal data doesn't take away from a good day in the saddle.
Old 11-07-13, 12:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Well, that's one progression. Another is that after the batteries die in your first computer, you realize how much you enjoyed tracking your progress as a cyclist, and want to take it to the next level. For me, that next level was GPS tracking. GPS tracking has transformed the way I plan my rides. It allows me to retroactively look at the routes I rode and decide which parts of those to incorporate into novel routes. Before GPS, I would have a vague idea of where that great fire road shortcut through the woods was, but it might be so remote that it's not even on an old-school map.

Sure, Strava and other tracking apps exist for smartphones and tablets, and I use Strava for shorter rides, but smartphones and tablets generally aren't sustainable for all-day rides, as GPS kills battery life (my iPhone 5 will get me five hours tops with GPS on). Better to have a dedicated yet inexpensive GPS-enabled cycling computer. I put a GPS computer on my wish-list for this holiday season, and I'm hoping for the Garmin 310, which is actually a GPS watch which I intend to use for running as well as cycling. It's tiny and can't display maps, but I don't care about that, I really just want the tracking and basic stats.
But, as you say, that is another progression. If you go this route, do you still have a bike-mounted computer? I think not.

I like the idea of your Garmin 310 but the latter is more money and features than the nexus seven tablet that I carry. The tablet battery lasts long enough to record a 150+ mile ride, displays maps, and can take pictures (the camera on mine is pretty bad; I believe they have corrected this on later models). So though it is bigger than your wristwatch, it replaces maps, which is pretty cool. I often ride places I haven't ridden before; that's kinda the point, isn't it? The tablet also has email (when wifi is available) and any number of other features / aps.

I still have computers on several of my bikes. But I don't think I'll be replacing them as they die. I also have Veeder cyclometers on several bikes; those things are cool!
Old 11-07-13, 01:18 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Fascinating Veeder cyclometer... would that require/assume a known wheel diameter in order to record distance (i.e., purchase the ISO 630 model)?
Old 11-07-13, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rhm
But, as you say, that is another progression. If you go this route, do you still have a bike-mounted computer? I think not.

I like the idea of your Garmin 310 but the latter is more money and features than the nexus seven tablet that I carry. The tablet battery lasts long enough to record a 150+ mile ride, displays maps, and can take pictures (the camera on mine is pretty bad; I believe they have corrected this on later models). So though it is bigger than your wristwatch, it replaces maps, which is pretty cool. I often ride places I haven't ridden before; that's kinda the point, isn't it? The tablet also has email (when wifi is available) and any number of other features / aps.
Oh, the Garmin goes for way less than that, that's just the product link with MSRP on the Garmin site. Current prices are in the $150-160 range.

The tablet idea is intriguing at $200, but can you really get a whole day's worth of battery charge with GPS on? And are you using a 3G/4G data cellular plan with this or is it strictly Wifi? If you're not using a data plan can you still use GPS tracking?
Old 11-07-13, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by bici_mania
Do you use a commuter on vintage bikes? If so, what kind? If not, why not?
The last time I needed a computer was backcountry biking. This was in places were there were no cell coverage and before compact GPS devices. In those days you carried maps with distance markers. If you missed a key turnoff, you were in serious trouble. I also briefly used a computer with cadence, but since it showed my cadence to always be 85, I found that this was unneeded.

Since then, I have no interest in computers. If bike racing paid my bills, I would be. Otherwise I'm not interested in vanity stats.
Old 11-07-13, 01:56 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the Garmin Edge 200. I might buy one used.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-13, 02:54 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Oh, the Garmin goes for way less than that, that's just the product link with MSRP on the Garmin site. Current prices are in the $150-160 range.
That sounds pretty good.

The tablet idea is intriguing at $200, but can you really get a whole day's worth of battery charge with GPS on? And are you using a 3G/4G data cellular plan with this or is it strictly Wifi? If you're not using a data plan can you still use GPS tracking?
As you of course know, batteries age. Mine is less than a year old; no problem yet. Strictly wi-fi; 3G/4G options exist but I don't go there.
Old 11-07-13, 03:18 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I bought a VDO computer to use on my C&V bikes a couple of years ago. It has lots of features, including cadence monitoring. It has so many features that the instruction booklet looks like a small phone book. Except for the sometimes slightly slow signal translation from the wheel and crank sensors to the wireless head unit, it's works well and is very nice to look at, but frankly, I just don't really look at most of the information except present speed, maximm speed and time elapsed.....That's why I actually still prefer using the Avocet 20 cyclometer on my 84 Peugeot PSV, which just gives me those basics but still be "period correct" on my 80's C&V bike......
Now if only I can figure out how I can make the batteries last longer on the Avocet.........
Old 11-07-13, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
A very simple Cateye cordless on the classic steel for various reasons...
1. I cycle for fitness as well as pleasure, so even if I'm in slightly more leisurely mood on the Sunday best than the carbon work-horse, it's good to keep track of mileage, average speed, etc.
2. There is something satisfying (geeky?) about knowing just how many miles you've put in on a particular bike. It almost underlines the satisfaction in knowing how durable a 25+ year old steel bike is.
3. I've got an ongoing (again, geeky?) interest in knowing whether there really is any statistically significant difference in my average speed on the different bikes. Inconclusive at the moment.
4. I can see how many miles I'm getting out of a pair of tyres.
Old 11-07-13, 04:45 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I have a separate wired computer for each bike I ride.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-13, 04:57 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
...but I have a separate wired computer for each bike I ride.
I tried just one and very long wires. It didn't work so well.
Old 11-07-13, 05:01 PM

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A computer's not essential for me, especially on known/local rides. If I'm going further afield I do like to know elapsed mileage, or mileage (distance) between points as it helps with navigation, for which I still mainly use maps. I have wired and wireless, all cheap versions and prefer wireless for neatness. It's yet another thing to remember to take off the bike when parked up though, together with lights, pump, bottles, bag. Can't be bothered with Strava, my racing days are long gone now, a gentle plod with lots of stops to look at scenery, buildings, animals, eat cake and so on makes my days on the bike much more interesting. i do quite enough data plotting to earn a crust! i'm probably a curmudgeon too?
Old 11-07-13, 05:08 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I have a separate wired computer for each bike I ride.
You're not the only one. But the Garmin suddenly seems like an attractive idea, because it would cost less than N computers, and it would be less work to maintain than N computers. And to be complete, I don't have computers on all my bikes, and I would like to know how many miles I ride in a month and in a year. Buying a computer for something like a Raleigh Sports just seems silly.

I work my smartphone too hard already. I tried cyclemeter, which is a superb app, but it's too much work for me, and it uses too much battery energy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-13, 05:24 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Fascinating Veeder cyclometer... would that require/assume a known wheel diameter in order to record distance (i.e., purchase the ISO 630 model)?
Yes, that's the main problem. The one on my Fothergill is calibrated pretty much spot on, but on other bikes they're 1-3% off. And I don't really care.
Old 11-07-13, 05:25 PM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the MapMyRide app on the phone, works good for my purposes (limited mileage/time on the road) in that it does well enough to track mileage, routes, elevation as well as giving some encouragement through course challenges and such (Strava Lite?). I have a Cateye Cadence 200 and it would be nice to have cadence and rolling speed directly in front of me as I put the phone in the saddle pack, but I don't want to muck up the bike with wires and stuff just yet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.