Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 02:10 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
My lovely wife is decidedly not a gadget freak or a data lover. In time, she has come to like her little wired bike computer, because she's trying to build her stamina and average speed. I've also interested her in cadence, since I told her that a faster cadence would be good for her stamina and long term health. She made great progress this year in increasing her cadence though her computer doesn't display that. She still needs me to remind her to zero the thing at the start of each ride.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-08-13, 02:36 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
^^^^^

Yeah a cadence meter of some sort might be good for a newbie who still rides solo a lot. I had the advantage of riding partners to acclimate myself to a faster cadence but that's usually the first thing that a newbie has to get used to in order to keep up with the Jones'es.
Old 11-08-13, 02:51 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,141 Times in 558 Posts
I like having a computer, but I'm not obsessed by it. I like my old, simple Avocet 30 because it's period-correct on my Look and reminds me of Greg Lemond. I do sort of play mind games with myself, such as use it as motivation to keep above a certain speed. Mostly I just ride at my own pace, but every once in a while I get the impulse to mix in some interval training, in which case the clock option is handy. When riding in unfamiliar areas, it can also be a helpful navigation tool. For example, I may memorize a route (e.g. go 10 miles then turn right on Main St.), and it can help clue me in when I should expect my next turn, without having to constantly pull up the map on my iphone. It's also fun to see how fast I was going down a hill. And if I notice that I'm going 50+mph, I think of my young daughter and decide maybe I should slow down. But I don't have computers on all my bikes, and I don't really miss it on those other bikes.

Old 11-08-13, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Oh! That's the OTHER Tommy Godwin - yeah, how weird is it that there were two outstanding British cyclists in the same era with the same name?
There you go, I've learnt TWO things today!
Old 11-08-13, 04:11 PM

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone, always have it with me, tracks my ride and collects data well, just past 1,100 for the year at an avg of 15.66 mph.
Old 11-08-13, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Divers watches are nice because you can just turn the arrow on the crystal frame to where you started at. No real need for a chronograph or anything that fancy.
My Bulova is the Oceanographer or so-called "Pepsi" model. The dark blue and red bezal is frozen up so I can't mark the time. I freed it up myself the last time I had the movement overhauled, but it's gone done stuck again.
Old 11-08-13, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
I'm old school when it comes to bike computers, analog all the way....

Old 11-08-13, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I like having a computer, but I'm not obsessed by it. I like my old, simple Avocet 30 because it's period-correct on my Look >> SNIP>>
What a great looking machine, and that splash of blue from the computer's casing is perfect.
Old 11-08-13, 09:08 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I ride with computers on all my road bikes. I like to put vintage computers on vintage bikes, so the oldies are usually wired. Went wireless on the new rides. No computers on my MTBs, but there will be one exception next year, I'm adding a computer to the vintage Nishiki I use on MUPS.
Old 11-09-13, 12:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
I find it interesting that bike 'computers' go back to the very earliest days of cycling. I like the 'fraction of mile' hand on this little clockwork:

Combined with a pocket watch, the rider would have distance, elapsed time and thereby average speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cyclometer.JPG (20.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by tcs; 11-09-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 9 Posts
I use to ride with a cycle computer but I know i'm not as fast as I once was and I don't need a computer to tell me that.
Old 11-09-13, 08:35 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Avocet 20 "wireless" cyclometer, Circa 1984/5!

Well,........almost wireless.
Did the internal fork leg routing of the sensor wires when I got the Avocet computer sometime right after I got my 84 PSV because I couldn't stand messing up the looks of the fully chromed fork on the bike with wires and zip ties. Took a bit of patience and time to guide the end of the sensor wires through the fork leg, but I was a young college kid then, and I had lots of patience and time during that lazy summer break from school. Funny thing is, I saw some pictures of some pro bikes in big races about a year later doing the same thing with their Avocet computers! Those little little holes on steel forks have some good use after all!
Dang!, I just remembered, I have to get new batteries for it!

Last edited by Chombi; 11-09-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
I'm old school when it comes to bike computers, analog all the way....

That mounting system looks like it might be a little wobbly, is vibration an issue? I do like that it is both wireless and "vintage"
Old 11-10-13, 01:44 PM
Chip seal rocks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recalibrated the auto-start/stop timer to stop timing at 15MPH instead of 0. It did wonders for my average speeds.

rhm is right, I think. It's fun to put one on, but after a while it loses a little. I used to run one on my commute bike, but I found myself tempted to do stupid things (tempted, just tempted) involving short cuts, faster roads, and lights, all to get the average speed up over some arbitrary number. I yanked it.

It was always more sporting to try and follow cue sheets without one too.

So, every once in a while, I'll use one for a couple weeks, then lose interest and wonder why I did that. Maybe the last time cured me. Let's hope. There are more fun places to put money.

Edit: I did install an old Huret Multito this afternoon after reading this thread. I kind of like it.

Last edited by Howard; 11-10-13 at 07:10 PM.