Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you have Reflectors on Your Wheels?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Do you have reflectors on your wheels?
Yes- my bike came with them
45.25%
Yes- my bike didn't come with them, but I added some
4.47%
No- my bike didn't come with them and I didn't add any
25.70%
No- my bike came with them and they fell off/broke and I didn't replace them
24.58%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have Reflectors on Your Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, a bit of old-skool urban riding in da mix. Thanx for the link.
Old 04-15-05, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I've got tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus) that came with refelctive tape on the sidewalls. I selected these tires for puncture resistance, not for the reflective sidewalls.

Now that I have the Schwalbes, I think that the sidewalls may do some good. When I see a bike with wheel reflectors at night, I am struck by how unlike a bicycle the sight of the wheel reflectors are. On the other hand, the reflective tape circle is obviously the perimeter of the wheel of a vehicle.

Paul
Old 04-15-05, 03:31 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andygates
Wheel reflectors unbalance the wheel and look dorky.
Think again.. you have a chunk of metal known as the valve on the other side.
Old 04-15-05, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvoid
You'd have to have a mighty hefty valve stem to compare to the weight of even the lightest spoke mounted reflector.
Old 04-15-05, 05:21 PM
Still Newbie

Bikes: A 1992 Norco road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
But the goal of me strapping something like this on my bike is to lessen the chances of getting plastered over the front of a car, not avoid a $35.00 ticket that no cop will ever bother to write to me anyways.

As I mentioned previously, at least in Ontario, all the obscure, vague regulations mean that no ones ever gonna fit the letter of the law anyways.

I'm more an advocate of reflective materials on clothing, which are (hopefully) more likely to get washed and hence be visible. When I am driving, it seems bike reflectors are usually to dirty to show up much, particularly in the winter road-grime season, and I largely view them as useless.
I do find the reflective tapes on forks and seat stays effective. It is hard to judge the distance of a bike with only a point of light; reflecting tapes will aid on that in addition to identifying it as a bike. You can't put two lights because that will turn the bike into a 4-wheeled vehicle, which is even more confusing. Reflective clothing is better, but then lycra clad dudes will not get their choice of clothing, and a vest will increase air resistance
Old 04-15-05, 05:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of these days I am going to buy a mini tiki torch, mount it on the rear rack with a wind shield around the front of it, and use it for rear lighting.
Old 04-15-05, 05:54 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by khuon
Yep. Check your local laws. Some of them actually state "CPSC approved reflectors". It's a dumb law and probably should be challenged.
I'd like someone to post some actual state codes that says CPSC reflectors are required to ride after dark. Most state codes require a front light and a rear light or reflector, and that's it. What may be illegal is to sell a new bike without CPSC reflectors; however, this requirement falls on the bike dealer, not the purchaser/user.

That being said, it's pure BS to claim that the spoke/wheel reflectors don't work. They do work in incident light coming from the side, and very well, at that. Probably better than reflective sidewall tires, which after a few rides in the rain will be covered and obscured by road dirt and a mess composed of brake pad and rim goo, rendering them totally ineffective unless you're an obsessive that spends time washing your bike tires after every ride in the rain - no thanks!
Old 04-15-05, 06:50 PM
Out of breath again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theden
One of these days I am going to buy a mini tiki torch, mount it on the rear rack with a wind shield around the front of it, and use it for rear lighting.
That would be cool!

Don't forget the grass skirt and bone necklace.
Old 04-15-05, 09:25 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
You'd have to have a mighty hefty valve stem to compare to the weight of even the lightest spoke mounted reflector.
I compared the weight of my cateye reflector against that of the valve. The valve, stem, and cap is approx 1/2 the weight of the reflector.
Which means my front wheel (reflector opposite magnet and valve) is exactly balanced.
The rear is just as unbalanced as it was w/o the reflector, cept the it's 180 degrees off.
Old 04-15-05, 09:30 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andygates
"Again, reflectors and reflective tape RELY ON THE DRIVER to illuminate them."

Of course reflectors should only be an addition to good strong visible lights.

Anyone ever mount a fire torch on their bike?
We have wonderful features here that allow people to know who you're responding to. Like this one
Much less confusing that way.

Originally Posted by slvoid
You should probably think again as well. You have a seam on the opposite side of the valve hole. Pinned or welded that's extra material
Old 04-15-05, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I don't understand the purpose of wheel reflectors, or reflective tape on wheels...

I mean, yeah, I understand that if you ride in front of a vehicle with its headlights on, they'll illuminate, but I don't understand when that might help prevent a collision, conflict or close call.

Consider:

Okay, so they can't hurt, expecially if you have no other lights or reflectors, but assuming you are properly equipped for night riding with head light, rear light(s), rear reflector(s), what problem do wheel reflectors solve?

Assume a car is stopped at a stop sign and you're moving through the intersection perpendicular to them. What's going to prevent a collision is them looking left and seeing you coming because you have a headlight. By the time the car's headlights illuminate the wheel reflectors, it's way too late.

Can anyone describe even a hypothetical situation where wheel reflectors would actually solve a problem?
When a police officer in California pulls you over for not having reflectors that can be seen, as in two on each side, the wheel reflectors would hypothetically keep you from getting a ticket.
Old 04-15-05, 09:35 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
On my offroad bikes, they're removed because they do break off easily and become trail litter. On my roadbike, I find them unnecessary so off they go. I have had a wheel reflector turn sideways on me before. It then got jammed up againt my fork legs and trashed the wheel and spokes before it itself disintergrated into road litter. I have not ridden with a wheel reflector since.

I have wheels reflectors on my commuter that are attached by a piece of plastic at each end, between spokes.
Old 04-15-05, 09:41 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
I'd like someone to post some actual state codes that says CPSC reflectors are required to ride after dark. Most state codes require a front light and a rear light or reflector, and that's it. What may be illegal is to sell a new bike without CPSC reflectors; however, this requirement falls on the bike dealer, not the purchaser/user.

That being said, it's pure BS to claim that the spoke/wheel reflectors don't work. They do work in incident light coming from the side, and very well, at that. Probably better than reflective sidewall tires, which after a few rides in the rain will be covered and obscured by road dirt and a mess composed of brake pad and rim goo, rendering them totally ineffective unless you're an obsessive that spends time washing your bike tires after every ride in the rain - no thanks!
Here's California's laws pertaining to reflectors. It appears that even with a rear blinkie, the rear reflector is still required.

(d) Every bicycle operated upon any highway during darkness shall be equipped (1) with a lamp emitting a white light which, while the bicycle is in motion, illuminates the highway in front of the bicyclist and is visible from a distance of 300 feet in front and from the sides of the bicycle; (2) with a red reflector on the rear which shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle; (3) with a white or yellow reflector on each pedal visible from the front and rear of the bicycle from a distance of 200 feet; and (4) with a white or yellow reflector on each side forward of the center of the bicycle, and with a white or red reflector on each side to the rear of the center of the bicycle, except that bicycles which are equipped with reflectorized tires on the front and the rear need not be equipped with these side reflectors. Such reflectors and reflectorized tires shall be of a type meeting requirements established by the department.
Old 04-15-05, 10:03 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You should probably think again as well. You have a seam on the opposite side of the valve hole. Pinned or welded that's extra material
Assuming it's tig welded and the joint is smooth (take the tube and rim tape off and feel it), where exactly is this "extra" material?
The density doesn't change that much to account for it and the volume is the same. Unless you're saying you have some real shoddy rim where the aluminium burned through and has a humongous bead inside.
Old 04-15-05, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad they are required to be on bikes as a large number of bike riders (notice I didn't say cyclists) ride at night without lights and several times I've only spotted a bike due to the reflectors.
Are they enough of a protection at night but they are better than nothing.

They came on my Felt and I have not taken them off, but I do not have them on my Klein.
Old 04-16-05, 10:06 PM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cyclist just rode by my house with no lights at all. Even with the streetlights on, I barely saw him before he'd already passed. He probably had reflectors on the spokes, but with no direct light on them they didn't do squat.
Old 04-16-05, 10:52 PM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suntreader
Originally Posted by theden
That would be cool!

Don't forget the grass skirt and bone necklace.
That would definately be cool. I kind of stopped wearing it years ago, but I already have a necklace that was made up with tusks from a boar I killed bow hunting and teeth from a shark I caught. I don't think I want to substitute the cycling shorts for a grass skirt, though. And the wife would definately balk at me getting a bone through my nose.
Old 04-18-05, 01:57 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I read the article in your link. I think that you need to re-read my last post on this thread. I said that I use battery powered lights AND the factory installed reflectors. Reflectors alone by themselves alone are insuficient, however they do add to your visability on the street in a cars headlights.

Old 04-18-05, 02:28 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's interesting to note that some companies marketting commuter bikes now equip them with reflective sidewall tyres as a measure to eliminate the wheel reflector.

Castro Valley

A new model for 2005, this is the bike for the commuter who likes to ride in the fast lane. Fully equipped for commuting, straight out of the box. Same proven frame as the Volpe. 9 speed Shimano Tiagra drive train. Shimano canti brakes. Dynamo-driven headlight with 3 watt, 12 volt bulb, unique in the US market. Fenders and rack mounts. Tires with 3M reflective sidewall stripe make wheel reflectors unnecessary.
Old 04-20-05, 01:34 PM
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have reflectors. I am aware of visibility though. I have a light and bike light coming in the mail tommorow. I that reflectors are crap for the only reason that you have to be pretty close to the biker in a car to actually make a reflection. A blinking light is much better for visibility in my view.
Old 04-20-05, 01:42 PM

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wheels came with them, but I removed the front one for aestetic reasons. The rear one won't come off for some reason, and I don't want to damage a spoke forcing it off, so it's still on the bike.

I have stick on reflectors all over my frame, visible from every angle, plus a rear blinking red light on my seat post. I wear a safety vest and have reflective stickers "Krazy Glued" to the heels and toes of my cycling shoes.

The survey did not include "My bike came with them, but I took them off", which is different from "lost/broke them" (suggesting accidental removal).

In my case, deliberate removal, not my style.

Spoke reflectors: hate 'em
Visability: Not a problem. I am a friggin' lightbulb at night.
Old 04-20-05, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
Probably better than reflective sidewall tires, which after a few rides in the rain will be covered and obscured by road dirt and a mess composed of brake pad and rim goo, rendering them totally ineffective unless you're an obsessive that spends time washing your bike tires after every ride in the rain - no thanks!
Maybe this is true with rim brakes. It is demonstrably not true with drum brakes. I've washed my bike maybe once in three years, commute daily in all weather, and the sidewalls do not get covered.

Paul
Old 04-20-05, 07:31 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted they came with my bike but broke. But they did not break. I removed them. When I was 16 one of those broke and jammed my wheel. I flew over the handlebars and crashed. I don't think they are safe. My life is worth more than a ticket.
Old 04-20-05, 07:37 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I voted they came with my bike but broke. But they did not break. I removed them. When I was 16 one of those broke and jammed my wheel. I flew over the handlebars and crashed. I don't think they are safe. My life is worth more than a ticket.
No one believes me when I tell them that has happened to me and can happen to them too. Thanks for another supporting anecdote although I it's too bad it had to happen to you too. BTW, I was about the same age when it happened to me.
Old 04-20-05, 07:42 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reflectors! LOL.
I see them on trees on the side of the road!
I like the reflective tape idea. It's going on my shoes for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.