Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is my road bike steering characteristics common with all road bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is my road bike steering characteristics common with all road bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 12:24 AM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
What does "R." mean?
Old 01-03-16, 12:28 AM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by sumbikerguy123
The OP or shop perhaps could muck it up with bad fit or non-standard stem, but OP doesn't mention this.

R. I did change the stem to a bit shorter one with a 60 degree angle to bring the bars up & back about an inch. I was a bit stretched out with the 90mm stem it came with. But the stem change didn't seem to change the herky-jerky steering any.
Herky jerky steering?

Are you saying that when you turn the handlebar to steer the bicycle that the turning itself is jerky as in something seems to be catching then letting go? That could be a too tight headset or damaged bearings in the headset or a bent steerer tube (where the stem fits in if a quill stem or fits over if a threadless stem. The handle bar and the fork should turn very smoothly.

Interestingly enough, if i ride a hybrid with upright bars after a long time away from one I find the front end feels very light compared to my road bikes and I feel as if the front tire of the hybrid is not pressing as hard against the surface as my road bikes do.

Cheers
Old 01-03-16, 12:29 AM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What does "R." mean?
Probably 'R' stands for 'Response'.

Cheers
Old 01-03-16, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me the headset is too loose. I had a habit of over-tightening mine and when my LBS mechanic found out he loosened it way too much resulting in a twitchy ride. I had a short stem on it as well which probably added the effect. Try tightening up a bit and see if it helps. You also mention that 90mm stem was too long for you. What size bike do you ride? I'm suspecting you weren't fit properly.
Old 01-03-16, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
My bike came with the Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x25c tires. Thinking of trying 700x28c tires for added stability, maybe a softer ride.
Those are nice tires, I would not ditch them. What pressure are you running? If the ride feels rough you might want to lower it a bit.

But I would like to have a bit less responsiveness in the steering. Like when I lean down to get the water bottle with my right hand, its a bit skittish with just my left hand.
When reaching for your bottle, place your left hand on the tops as close as possible to the stem. That will solve the 'skittishnes' in that situation.

I agree with everyone who says to give it time. We are sometimes too eager to try to solve things via hardware change when in fact it is us who need to adapt. As you become more accustomed to your new ride you will feel more confident on it. Make sure you are not locking your elbows and that you are not gripping the handlebar too tight. Also, your weight should be carried by your core, not your hands.
Old 01-04-16, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R. Means Reply or Response.
Old 01-04-16, 02:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Herky-Jerky is an adjective used to express the overly responsive steering I experienced.

There is nothing wrong with the headset, I presume it's just the characteristic of the bikes geometry that I either have to accept, get used to or get a different bike.

Last edited by sumbikerguy123; 01-04-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 02:45 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
Sounds to me the headset is too loose.
+1
Old 01-04-16, 02:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
Sounds to me the headset is too loose. I had a habit of over-tightening mine and when my LBS mechanic found out he loosened it way too much resulting in a twitchy ride. I had a short stem on it as well which probably added the effect. Try tightening up a bit and see if it helps. You also mention that 90mm stem was too long for you. What size bike do you ride? I'm suspecting you weren't fit properly.
Bike size 48c. Bought the bike online.
Old 01-04-16, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike size 48c. Bought the bike online.

No mention of the old bike vs new bike's frame materials, BB size, weight, size, rims, geometry, crank length, etc. other than saying the WB is over 2 inches shorter...which is huge, considering only a few millimeters here and there can make big differences.

As was suggested earlier, your new bike is more responsive to you inputs, steering, pedaling, changes in riding position etc.

I agree with what many others have said...it's probably more of a matter of getting use to the new bike than anything else, including dialing in your position with time in the saddle.

Just ride more.
Old 01-04-16, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
No mention of the old bike vs new bike's frame materials, BB size, weight, size, rims, geometry, crank length, etc. other than saying the WB is over 2 inches shorter...which is huge, considering only a few millimeters here and there can make big differences.

As was suggested earlier, your new bike is more responsive to you inputs, steering, pedaling, changes in riding position etc.

I agree with what many others have said...it's probably more of a matter of getting use to the new bike than anything else, including dialing in your position with time in the saddle.

Just ride more.
R. Thanks!
Old 01-05-16, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R. Thanks!
I recently purchased a new bike, after being off for 15 years. Previous bike was classic road geometry, 73/73 Italian sl/sp cromoly frame with Ultegra groupo, 58 cms. I'd still consider it a nice bike. Due to finances, could not afford a new Italian cromoly frame. Got a "modern" aluminum frame...very stiff, "race" geometry, shorter chain stays, huge BB, featuring Ultegra and 105, and 54 cm. Loved it at first, but then I thought I'd try jamming off the seat.....whoa....what a Keystone Cops routine that was. I was all over the place. I always had an easy time jamming off the saddle on my old bike...I mean I'd be positioned chin over frt axle and rocking that lovely lacquer red and chrome plated frame under me like we were professional dance partners. The new one...holy crap! WTF was going on?! I thought it was too small, wrong fit...yadda. Well...it wasn't the bike. The bike is so stiff and responsive, it was wayyy "ahead" of the rider. As soon as I thought about getting off the seat, with the slightest of body English, the bike had already moved to one side. Trying to correct it, only lead to exaggerated over corrections. What a slap stick routine it was...now...I'm almost "even" with the bike. When I can start riding again, (snow and ice suck)...I will get "ahead" of the bike, like I was on my old one.
Old 01-05-16, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JT: Bikes can be built to provide different steering characteristics. Road bikes intended for criterium racing may handle quite differently from bikes designed for stage racing, which may handle differently from bikes designed for cyclocross, and differently than your hybrid. It all depends on what you expect out of the bike.

Wheelbase does not make as much difference as front-end geometry (think: "trail"), or even tires.

=============================

R. Thanks! I definitely don't do any racing or cyclocross biking. I use my bike as my sole means of transportation, personal health & well being. Hopefully no one will run me off the road!

Last edited by sumbikerguy123; 01-05-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
I recently purchased a new bike, after being off for 15 years. Previous bike was classic road geometry, 73/73 Italian sl/sp cromoly frame with Ultegra groupo, 58 cms. I'd still consider it a nice bike. Due to finances, could not afford a new Italian cromoly frame. Got a "modern" aluminum frame...very stiff, "race" geometry, shorter chain stays, huge BB, featuring Ultegra and 105, and 54 cm. Loved it at first, but then I thought I'd try jamming off the seat.....whoa....what a Keystone Cops routine that was. I was all over the place. I always had an easy time jamming off the saddle on my old bike...I mean I'd be positioned chin over frt axle and rocking that lovely lacquer red and chrome plated frame under me like we were professional dance partners. The new one...holy crap! WTF was going on?! I thought it was too small, wrong fit...yadda. Well...it wasn't the bike. The bike is so stiff and responsive, it was wayyy "ahead" of the rider. As soon as I thought about getting off the seat, with the slightest of body English, the bike had already moved to one side. Trying to correct it, only lead to exaggerated over corrections. What a slap stick routine it was...now...I'm almost "even" with the bike. When I can start riding again, (snow and ice suck)...I will get "ahead" of the bike, like I was on my old one.
===================================

R. Sounds like what I experienced with my new road bike. Kind of a weird feeling after being on the same bike (hybrid) for 11 years. Took awhile to get used to standing over the saddle & being over the bars from a standing stop, just felt awkward & unstable. I experienced that even moreso on a race bike type geometry with a shorter head tube. It was just too aggressive for my wants & needs, so I returned it.

Especially taking off at a light/intersection and people are sitting in their vehicles watching you trying to take off & clip into your pedals like you need training wheels or something?

Definitely a re-adjustment learning curve.

But after I rode it on a few centuries, taking off from a standing stop off the seat to get some momentum going wasn't too bad, then I'm back in the seat pedaling.

But I was just curious if other, the majority or all road bikes had what seemed to me to be an overly aggressive/sensitive/responsive steering characteristic? Appears to be so and the more I rode the bike, it was still there, but after awhile I just got used to it and paid less attention to it.

As one poster mentioned, the bars on the hybrid bike are much wider than a road bikes bars. My hybrid handlebar grips end to end measure 25" across. The dropbar hoods end to end are 16.5", a 8.5" difference, which is huge. I presume the shorter turning axis of the dropbars has an effect on the responsiveness of the steering, making for that "herky-jerky" steering.

I also presume the wider hand position makes for a wider turning axis and a more relaxed steering on the hybrid, which I personally prefer.

My hybrid bars have sort of a S shape to them, as opposed to a regular straight flat bar. But I have them flopped forward to give more of a leaning forward riding style.

Thanks for all the reply's.
Old 01-05-16, 08:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Those are nice tires, I would not ditch them. What pressure are you running? If the ride feels rough you might want to lower it a bit.

When reaching for your bottle, place your left hand on the tops as close as possible to the stem. That will solve the 'skittishnes' in that situation.

I agree with everyone who says to give it time. We are sometimes too eager to try to solve things via hardware change when in fact it is us who need to adapt. As you become more accustomed to your new ride you will feel more confident on it. Make sure you are not locking your elbows and that you are not gripping the handlebar too tight. Also, your weight should be carried by your core, not your hands.
================================================

R. About 110lbs. PSI.

The reason I changed the stem was that I was leaning to far forward causing my elbows to be locked. Installing the shorter angled stem brought my arms back & up an inch, putting me in a more relaxed, slightly bent elbow position.

My hands do get a bit numb after riding for several hours on a Century, even with gel padded gloves. Might try some extra gel bar tape on the bar were the hands go for more comfort.

Your right, the more time I spent on the bike, the more accustomed to it I became.

The new bike sat unused for most of August/September/October due to seasonal rains. And it was getting close to the return cutoff date and I didn't have much riding time to make a fair determination whether to return it or keep it?

But the more I rode it, the more accustomed to it I became. Its kind of hard to find a Di2 bike for under $2,000.00. But they are on sale now with $250 off if anyone wants a Di2 bike.

Ride safe!
Old 01-05-16, 08:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...(quoting JT) ...Wheelbase does not make as much difference as front-end geometry (think: "trail"), or even tires.
Wheelbase will affect steering/handling characteristics re shorter chain stays making for stiffer/more responsive frame and the rear wheel closer to under the rider's butt for tighter cornering and generally a less stable feeling. Maybe not as much as the front end geometry, but it will make a significant amount of difference to how the bike handles/feels. A 2 inch/50mm shorter wheel base is huge.
Old 01-09-16, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kpotier16
Going from flatbars to road bars, its going to feel a little skittish for a while, stick with it after about 1500 miles on road bars, flat bars felt strange to me.
This. The road bike has skinnier tires. Also, the it has narrower handlebars. It requires smaller hand movement on the narrower bars to effect the same degree of turning. It took me several hundred miles before I felt comfortable riding in the drops. As others have pointed out, bike geometry also affects handling, but I suspect that the skinnier tires and narrower bar have a greater effect than geometry.
Old 01-09-16, 12:01 PM

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
One man's skittish is another man's responsive.
I agree completely. You will get use to it though and find yourself carving curves before you know it.