Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclists Hate?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclists Hate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apollored
We're told here to say to drivers who ask why we pay no taxes to ride on the road that drivers pay an emissions tax not road tax because of the toxic fumes their cars pour out.

Cyclists don't pour out such emissions therefore pay no tax.
You have obviously never met me, but the bike has nothing to do with the emissions.
Old 12-28-12, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's even better when it happens on side streets (which you took to avoid traffic!) Dressing like a Fred probably doesn't help, i'm sure if i had a kit i'd get more respect. There's this one guy i see from time to time on the main Boulevard all decked out with a carbon bike, nobody seems to bother him.
Old 12-28-12, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do pay for the roads in the various taxes I pay including taxes on both cars, wife's and mine, and on the fuel used for said cars. But even if I didn't pay any of the taxes, a cyclists does not cause the damage to the infrastructure like a vehicle does.
Old 12-28-12, 02:56 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
You have obviously never met me, but the bike has nothing to do with the emissions.
Depends on where you eat during a long ride!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-28-12, 02:59 PM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
It's not just the emissions. Cycling advocates will tell you that motorists do not pay the full cost of the infrastructure they use. They are subsidized by non-motorists, such as cyclists who do not own cars. It's not the cyclist getting a free ride, it's the motorist!

And the costs don't even include the monumental health care expenses required to address victims of collisions of autos.

L.
+1
Another thing I tell anyone who will listen is, the roads were not made for autos in the first place! Look at a map from circa 1900 and you will see all kinds of roads and streets and nary a car. Motor vehicles have taken our roads meant for horses, pedestrians and cycles! Maybe they should be paying cyclists for their use.
Old 12-28-12, 03:11 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
FWIW, I've hunted by mtb, as have a number of my friends.
Same here. Using a MTB is the best and fastest way to get to where the ducks are in certain hunting spots.

I've got a setup similar to this:

Old 12-28-12, 03:12 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I attribute glass on the road to teenagers on Christmas and summer break. I mountain bike a lot and am bothered by glass on trails. It is usually around a time when Teens are out of school.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-28-12, 03:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get the deposit on the bottle raised, and not smashing it will be like real Money.
Old 12-28-12, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Around here, it's not uncommon to circle the block for 15 minutes looking for a place to park a car. There ought to be an advertising campaign -- "Found a place to park? -- Thank a cyclist!"
Old 12-31-12, 06:28 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
I'm into guns and biking, two sport hobbies that are unlikely to mix. Unless a biathlon is invented where you sprint for a few miles followed by a 500 ft 15% climb, then dismount the bike while unslinging the rifle and, with a 105% heart rate, try to hit a target.

Naw, I think I'll keep the sports separate.
The rifle on the back would probably score a few extra respects point from drivers. I like it!
Old 01-01-13, 08:43 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Last year I had blowout and had to boot the tire to get home. I went back the next day to see
what could have sliced my tire all the way across the tread. I found a dozen box cutter blades
on the shoulder of the road. I like to think I saved some other people from ruining a tire. Why
the blades were there is anybody's guess.
Old 01-01-13, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I have never understood why motorists should "hate" cyclists. I find that when I am driving, I am delayed FAR more by other motorists than by any cyclist.

It's funny that motorists will often get stuck behind big trucks, but they never yell, scream, or throw beer cans at the truck driver.

Is it because they are stupid that motorists tend to consider cyclists to be their biggest enemy, when in truth their biggest enemy is other drivers? Or are they too heavily influenced by the media? If motorists could just get other drivers off the road (and onto bikes or into buses by extolling the virtues of cycling or mass transit), they'd have much fewer volume delays and traffic jams. But no, they insist on bullying cyclists because... cyclists are easier to bully? The type of personality that bullies cyclists is basically too cowardly to go after the real causes of blocked traffic (namely themselves)?

I think we're basically just dealing with typical bullies. It would be nice if the media realized this and stopped fomenting conflict between cyclists and motorists in order to sell ads.

Luis
Journalists aren't doing anything to foment the conflict. This is basically about a bunch of entitled people who are used to getting what they want in many areas of life and wish they could have a society where they would have to interact with as few people as possible. I firmly believe that what causes this is when these individuals get out and about and see people who are doing something they can't and/or are too lazy to do, that they overreact.

In the NY area we see a lot of this and the incidents don't lie. It's always in higher demographic areas that tacks are spread on roads and it's always the monster SUVs and similar vehicles that are most aggressive. That says these people are spoiled brats that are incapable and/or unwilling to act like a responsible adult. This is why I don't believe there's anything that can be done to win them over. I believe a better tactic would be to put up a better fight. I'd like to gather some cyclists to hang out all day in one of these areas where tacks are spread just to sit on off to the side of busy cycling roads where these things happen to send a signal that they're actions were noticed and that they're being watched. Likewise, people with GoPros should get custom jerseys made to advertise the fact that every move of passing vehicles is being recorded. Nothing stops a bully faster than making them uncomfortable and this type of "intimidation," which is totally legal, would help things a lot.
Old 01-01-13, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not just bicycles that the SUV/ diesel truck guys harrass. When I drive my Miata I get cut off, have my lane driven into and even chased by them for no known reason. When I drive my Corvette, I have enough power to not put up with their cr*p, but still have them "rolling coal", trying to race me and all other manner of stupid. I have increasingly shifted my cycling to paths and back roads away from main roads as a result.

On the other hand, over the years if somebody has threatened my life with their stupidity, they may find a really big, beat to hell F-250 that I couldn't care less about wrecking awaiting them on their next daily commute....because I've had no luck at all with law enforcement going after these types.
Old 01-01-13, 09:29 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In this part of PA I find some cases like that, but for the most part the law enforcement responds favorably. The two favorite incidents I had in recent weeks were
1) a well dressed African American male in a corolla leaning out his window as I am going +3mph of the speed limit and yelled matter of factly that "I don't see a license plate, so you shouldn't be on the road".

and
2) A saturday morning when the road was wide open another well dressed man in a fancy sedan decided to woosh past really close, pull by and come around to yell at me of how I am blocking traffic. For a fairly long stretch as traffic is building up behind him. I told him he was on camera and he should go on his way and he said $*$*#( to the camera and kept on his tirade. By the end of it I was tailgating in my lane and he was blocking the other lane with a dozen cars behind. Senseless.
Old 01-02-13, 05:34 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
In this part of PA I find some cases like that, but for the most part the law enforcement responds favorably. The two favorite incidents I had in recent weeks were
1) a well dressed African American male in a corolla leaning out his window as I am going +3mph of the speed limit and yelled matter of factly that "I don't see a license plate, so you shouldn't be on the road".

and
2) A saturday morning when the road was wide open another well dressed man in a fancy sedan decided to woosh past really close, pull by and come around to yell at me of how I am blocking traffic. For a fairly long stretch as traffic is building up behind him. I told him he was on camera and he should go on his way and he said $*$*#( to the camera and kept on his tirade. By the end of it I was tailgating in my lane and he was blocking the other lane with a dozen cars behind. Senseless.
Morons
Old 01-02-13, 05:44 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm into guns and biking, two sport hobbies that are unlikely to mix. Unless a biathlon is invented where you sprint for a few miles followed by a 500 ft 15% climb, then dismount the bike while unslinging the rifle and, with a 105% heart rate, try to hit a target.

I hear there are some trails in California where you might get to try such a sport. You even get to shoot at moving targets who will try to make you crash your bike.
Old 01-02-13, 05:57 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the other hand lots of cyclists are idiots....
Old 01-02-13, 06:03 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
On the other hand lots of cyclists are idiots....
Very true. I'll even admit to doing some dumb things.

I've been buzzed a couple of times and honked at by a few, but overall, the drivers treat me fine...of course I ride back roads and not the major ones. I'll see how things go with drivers on major routes come April and May when I do two organized centuries--
see: >>Tour de Cure: Hampton Roads and Cap2Cap thread<<
Old 01-03-13, 11:52 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
What makes you think that the glass was "scattered" (which kind of implies the person had a stock of broken glass and was purposefully distributing it at various intervals) or that it had anything to do with bicyclists?

My guess is that it was just a couple of nimrods more or less randomly tossing bottles on the road just for fun and because they're idiots. But no particular malice towards cyclists.
[COLOR="#000080"]If one has disdain for someone, or for some other group (cyclists in this case), in this day and time, then I think it's not far-fetched for them to take it out in a way that would certainly irk the target. Certainly, more despicable things have been done in this world. Yes, could be some stupid kids breaking bottles at night; could also be a selfish motorist with contempt for cyclists.
Could someone actually be so diabolical as to break glass at some other location, collect it in a container, only to scatter it over a lonely, dark 3.5 mile section road? Absolutely!! Please, please don't think that it couldn't be.
Next, some of the glass was different types: bottle glass, window glass, AND car windshield glass.
Could EVEN be someone who's ridden a bicycle a few times on the road in his/her lifetime and knows very well how troublesome that much glass can be for bicycle tires.
Yes. Could be some nimrods. But, it absolutely, could not be. IMO, this was premeditated. We'll never know and it would be naive for me to think that it couldn't be an irate, malicious, selfish motorist.
I pedal onCOLOR]
Old 01-05-13, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic- Full Campy 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=WC89;15092057]Just venting here. Some time between last Friday morning and the next Saturday morning, on a 3.5 mile stretch of nicely paved, lightly traveled (by cars), 2-lane road (no shoulder), through tree-lined watershed property and very low-density residential properties, some lowly individual scattered broken glass every few hundred feet or so The road is not even a popular cyclist road - I don't know why it's not popular, b/c to be such a nice stretch of road it's a little rare that I see another cyclist. I've had no hostile encounters with any motorists, except for one a couple of months ago who laid on his horn while passing me at high speed. It's the kind of road that when cars pass, there's always plenty of room and rare for a passing car to have traffic in the opposite lane to contend with. I reported to local PD just so they would be aware. I also reported to local DPW w/ a request for a street-sweeper.
What a big AH that did such a thing!
[/QUOTE)

I feel your pain about all of the broken glass found on today's roads. Around here, most of the glass makes an appearance on Saturday and Sunday mornings. This is when the locals buy a six-pack (usually some kind of light beer) at the bar's closing time (2:00 AM) and have a few more on the way home. Guess what they do with their empties. No, recycling is not the answer. I then try ride, my road bike, with both eyes wide open at all times. I average about 1-2 road flats/month.
Old 01-05-13, 04:37 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

You may keep the sport separate, but the statistics overwhelmingly show that the first one is by far more dangerous!
[h=3][/h]"Just saying!!!"
Old 01-06-13, 05:07 AM

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apollored
We're told here to say to drivers who ask why we pay no taxes to ride on the road that drivers pay an emissions tax not road tax because of the toxic fumes their cars pour out.

Cyclists dont pour out such emissions therefore pay no tax.
I do, right after a nice hot bowl of chili!
Old 01-06-13, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am visiting Clearwater, Florida and this has to be one of the scariest places I have ever ridden. I was riding the Raim-Wilson paved MUP this morning and there was broken glass all over a section of the trail. I spent a half an hour picking up the worst of it. Why I bothered I don't know as I couldn't get it all.

The roads here are frightening. Partly because there rarely are shoulders and just a few random bike lanes.
Old 01-06-13, 07:50 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For the most part Lancaster has been really good about cleaning the glass off the roads(bi-weekly street sweepers), so knock on wood I haven't had a problem with that in ages. Usually if there is some left unswept it's in the parking area which I avoid anyway. That said, there are certainly merits to having armored/sealed tires...
Old 01-06-13, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
You may keep the sport separate, but the statistics overwhelmingly show that the first one is by far more dangerous!
"Just saying!!!"
Actually the statistics don't show such a thing. 2008 stats showed 594 accidental deaths by firearms and 716 bicyclists were killed in traffic accidents. Looks like cycling is the more dangerous of the two. "Just sayin'"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.