Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Woodyman. I've gone back and forth between the FX and DS bikes and decided to go with a DS. I want to keep my options open as to where I ride and felt that the FX wouldn't be able to handle some of the more offroad trails I may ride on.
Old 12-30-14, 12:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2015 DS 8.6 for a few months and could not ask for a better bike. The front forks are a plus riding the "rails to trails" since they are not always smooth and easy going. Your arms and shoulders will thank you.
Old 01-01-15, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the general info but still looking for answers to my questions. I ended up getting some 35s for both bikes and will report back when I collect more/miles data. I found this great article however in Bicycling about tires, "Know your rubber." The contact patch info regarding turning vs. traction is pretty interesting about a tire's footprint, I saved this article in my cycling file. Know Your Rubber | Bicycling Thanks & ride safe.
Old 01-01-15, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
Thanks for the general info but still looking for answers to my questions. I ended up getting some 35s for both bikes and will report back when I collect more/miles data. I found this great article however in Bicycling about tires, "Know your rubber." The contact patch info regarding turning vs. traction is pretty interesting about a tire's footprint, I saved this article in my cycling file. Know Your Rubber | Bicycling Thanks & ride safe.
The bead material affects nothing else on the tire. tread wear, liners, and such have nothing to do with the bead. aside from the lower weight, the only other effect is that foldable tires are a bit easier to install and remove
Old 01-01-15, 02:50 PM
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2014 8.2 DS owner checking in...near stock other than lights/cage so far, have some Ergon GP5 grips on the way
Old 01-01-15, 03:05 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, 2015 Trek Domane 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
2014 8.2 DS owner checking in...near stock other than lights/cage so far, have some Ergon GP5 grips on the way

Welcome!
Old 01-01-15, 04:59 PM
Some Guy on the Road

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks! Really enjoying this who bicycle thing
Old 01-07-15, 09:56 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/paragon

Upgraded with this yesterday. Haven't ridden on it yet but the unit itself is really nice! I splurged for the remote lockout.

Now I have to buy a shock pump. Doh!
Old 01-14-15, 01:09 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those of you interested in the minutia (and maybe choosing right now between old stock 2014 vs. 2015), here is an update to the frame data I posted earlier in this thread.

In an ever increasing effort to confuse their customers, Trek has kept the same size "names" (15.5, 17.5, 19, 21, and 22.5") yet has reduced the actual seat tube length by over an inch! Whereas my 21" 2013 has a seat tube which measures exactly 21 inches, the 2015 21's is 19.8 inches! Note that the 19 was never 19 inches anyway (it was always 19.5 in). [sarcasm]Thank you Trek.[/sarcasm] On the plus side of course this means greater stand over (always a good thing in my book).

All seat tube angles are all ever so slightly steeper (ie closer to vertical), something which is somewhat irrelevant since seat forward-aft adjustments will just null this out, though if you already have your seat as far back as it will go its likely you will have to go up a size in 2015 to keep your same position relative to the cranks.

Unfortunately Trek has omitted Stack and Reach measurements from this year's table so I'm not able to plot the head tubes relative to the seat tubes. This is a shame as its these two numbers which are the most revealing about a bike's geometry and what sort of body posture you'll find yourself in. That said we do know that the head tubes are 1/4" taller across the board. While its possible this was done to accommodate some radically different (slimmer?) fork crown, more likely this means the stack is slightly higher. At the same time we know the less helpful "effective top tube" figures have remained the same which probably means the reach is ever so slightly longer (since the seat tube angles are steeper).

So while anecdotal without the rest of the necessary measurements from Trek, I would say the 2015s could provide some interesting fit options. With the seat tubes/stand-over dropped as much as they have been, if you were on, say, a '17.5' before, you may well find that the 2015 '19' still gives you enough stand-over while positioning the bars slightly higher, if minutely further away.

For my part I've never been 100% satisfied with the way the 21" 2013 fit me. These changes are enough to make me want to visit the dealer in the spring and possibly flip my bike for a new one.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 01-14-15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 01:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by intransit1217
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/paragon

Upgraded with this yesterday. Haven't ridden on it yet but the unit itself is really nice! I splurged for the remote lockout.

Now I have to buy a shock pump. Doh!
Please do report back. I know there are a bunch of us who have had our eye on mating these with a DS (but no one wanted to go first ).
Old 01-14-15, 02:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
For my part I've never been 100% satisfied with the way the 2013 fit me. These changes are enough to make me want to visit the dealer in the spring and possibly flip my bike for a new one.
To ask a silly question, why would you automatically get a new Trek DS, as opposed to some other brand?
Old 01-14-15, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please do report back. I know there are a bunch of us who have had our eye on mating these with a DS (but no one wanted to go first ).
Definitely worth upgrading. Would say it improves the bike. https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ork-worth.html
Old 01-14-15, 06:14 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sunsanvil, I have not had a chance to road it yet. But the fork itself is A) gorgeous, B) WAY above the suntour and the vita quality wise, C) seems to have some kind of mounting bosses on the backs of the forks that match left to right in position.

Concerns: You have to have a special fork pump for it. Annoying, but necessary. I'm near the limits of the fork at 140 psi, for my weight 230 lbs. (i'm fudging here). Mine was spendy at 260 fork, 80 remote kit, 35 install.

Hoping for a chance to ride it at least once over the next 6 days.

Last edited by intransit1217; 01-14-15 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added details
Old 01-15-15, 11:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
To ask a silly question, why would you automatically get a new Trek DS, as opposed to some other brand?
I love my 8.4, but on the 21" 2013 I wish I had just a little more stand-over and a taller stack, if not a shorter reach. Granted the stack/reach can be achieved with a very short and steep (if odd looking) stem, but if the 2015 differs in these proportions, I might just treat myself to an update.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 01-15-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

I love my 8.4, but on the 21" 2013 I wish I had just a little more stand-over and a taller stack, if not a shorter reach. Granted the stack/reach can be achieved with a very short and steep (if odd looking) stem, but if the 2015 differs in these proportions, I might just treat myself to an update.
Hi Sunsanvil,
As I have been overthinking the issue of "what is the best hybrid out there", I'm always interested to pick the brains of people who have a recent hybrid model in the range I am considering myself.

Little doubt the Trek DS range is a very good range, but from you stating that if you do update, it will be to another Trek, does that mean you believe the DS range at the price points you are considering, is better than other brands?

If so, I would like to hear what it is about the Trek DS that makes you select it, over other brands.
Old 01-19-15, 10:33 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh god it's nice ! The adjustability virtually eliminates the need for the lockout. Firm but cushy ride and absolutely minimal pogo action under power. Fantastic, imo.
Old 01-21-15, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Oh god it's nice ! The adjustability virtually eliminates the need for the lockout. Firm but cushy ride and absolutely minimal pogo action under power. Fantastic, imo.
So just to clarify, that paragon fork is a simple even swap? Any change with the geometry or anything as far as ride positions, adjustment, and comfort are concerned?
Old 01-21-15, 06:15 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
So just to clarify, that paragon fork is a simple even swap? Any change with the geometry or anything as far as ride positions, adjustment, and comfort are concerned?
As far as I can tell, zero. It's not a 100mil travel fork. So it's in the same range as the stock suntour or replacement rst.
Old 01-22-15, 06:41 PM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone Hybrid, 2015 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_cheese
I love my 2012 DS8.4 ...... I had a moment where I thought dam I should have gone for a FX or something roadier, but I love going off the road when I feel like it. My worries about the road worthiness of this bike were completely decimated this past weekend when I rode 150km from Toronto to Niagara falls with a couple of friends (who complained about back soreness on their road bikes all the way... I had to keep braking so that I don't pull ahead too far )

I love this bike and ride it a fair distance just for fun everyway at least a couple of times a week. This bike solely has been responsible for a significant increase in activity in my lifestyle.
This post from Blue_Cheese keeps playing in my head like a song on repeat. It's pretty inspiring for anyone trying decide between a DS and an FX.

I'm curious if any of you current or former DS owners felt the same way. Do you feel like you ride all day on the road and maintain against fitness and road bikes? I know the riders make all the difference, but generally speaking is it a big deal to ride 50 miles or more on the road with this bike?

Last edited by EjF; 01-22-15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 03:52 PM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone Hybrid, 2015 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Gang, I joined the Trek DS team today!

After several weeks of shopping, looking at and studying about bikes of all kinds I finally locked down on my bike of choice. Here's a picture of my new Trek 8.4 DS. I'm certain this was the best choice for me and I'm looking forward to the many miles ahead. It's the dead of winter here in MA so it will be a while before I can road test all its capability but I'll be sure to check back in and tell you all about it. In the meanwhile I'll be having fun reading, spending and installing accessories....

Schellers Fitness and Cycling: [Review] 2014 Trek 8.4 DS Does Anything You Want It To - This one 8.4 DS review in particular really helped me decide. I thought I'd share this for anyone else considering the DS.

Cheers!

Ride Safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2484.jpg (98.7 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by EjF; 01-23-15 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 04:27 PM
Some Guy on the Road

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EjF

After several weeks of shopping, looking at and studying about bikes of all kinds I finally locked down on my bike of choice. Here's a picture of my new Trek 8.4 DS. I'm certain this was the best choice for me and I'm looking forward to the many miles ahead. It's the dead of winter here in MA so it will be a while before I can road test all its capability but I'll be sure to check back in and tell you all about it. In the meanwhile I'll be having fun reading, spending and installing accessories....

Schellers Fitness and Cycling: [Review] 2014 Trek 8.4 DS Does Anything You Want It To - This one 8.4 DS review in particular really helped me decide. I thought I'd share this for anyone else considering the DS.

Cheers!

Ride Safe
Congrats on your purchase, may the two of you see many miles
Old 01-23-15, 05:13 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by EjF

Cheers!

Ride Safe
Congrats. Gorgeous looking bike.
Old 01-24-15, 02:14 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EjF
This post from Blue_Cheese keeps playing in my head like a song on repeat. It's pretty inspiring for anyone trying decide between a DS and an FX.

I'm curious if any of you current or former DS owners felt the same way. Do you feel like you ride all day on the road and maintain against fitness and road bikes? I know the riders make all the difference, but generally speaking is it a big deal to ride 50 miles or more on the road with this bike?
I don't think so. I took mine on a 100 miler to N. Chicago and back. Great day. I'm setting up to run two sets of complete wheels. One set will be heavy duty for loaded touring with "street" tires. The other will be lighter duty with more aggressive tires for when I want to mix it up. It fills the big gap between the road bike and the fat bike nicely.

Congratulations on your new ride!

Last edited by intransit1217; 01-24-15 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Congrats
Old 01-25-15, 02:40 PM

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by EjF

While I no longer have my DS I would hce thought nothing of riding that far on it. Before I bought a road bike I was riding in the morning on an old Gary Fisher Marlin MTB with slicks for 20-25 miles and had ridden the same bike on a 50 miler charity ride the same way.

There was no way I could keep the pace of a road bike partly due to gearing, weight of the bike and resistance of the tires. But conversely the MTB was easier on the body due to the more upright position and the suspension taking up the road. Against a fitness bike of similar build no problem, the weight of the fork is negligible in the scheme of things My Trek Road bike was nice but a much firmer harsher ride. Carbon fork or no.

So so for me anyway I thought about converting my road bike to a flat handle bar a few years ago but at about the same time Trek brought out the FX and DS lines and I looked into getting a FX based on that 95% of my riding was going to be on paved roads and it had disc brakes. Since I have Arthritus in my hands and shoulders I was convinced I wanted a DS over the FX for the shock and when I rode the 8.4 with the hydro disc brakes I was sold. That was the one thing I disliked about the road bike were the brakes, just terrible compared to my XT brakes

I regretted selling it but am going to replace it with another 8.4 or 8.5. And feel it will fulfill my biking needs for years to come. Fast enough for street and longer rides and durable enough for hopping curbs and barriers but with enough tread to handle the goatheads,glass and less than perfect hardpack. I had wanted to keep my old GaryFisher as an actual MTB but so it goes and I'm sure this will do th double duty I want.

Last edited by JehD; 01-25-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm torn between 8.6 DS or 7.5 FX. How is the DS on pavement..can you keep up with the FX? Also with all the recalls I'm reading on these forks does this affect 2015 DS 8.6? Also is it Post mount or IS mount.
I see that the 8.4 is the most popular bike on this thread. Is it worth the extra $$$ for the 8.6?

Thanks

Last edited by fishnmaine; 01-27-15 at 12:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.