Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

More On Riding in the Rain...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 07:47 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts

Years ago I recorded intros and outros for a radio series about parenting. The announcer would direct listeners to the show's website for more information about the topic covered in that episode of the show.

"For more on dating tips please visit..."
"For more on parenting strategies visit..."
"For more on ways to stick to your family budget..."

Of course I always heard these as:

"For moron dating tips please visit..."
"For moron parenting strategies visit..."
"For moron ways to stick to your family budget..."

So here is a video featuring "more on" me bike commuting in the rain.

(BTW: I arrived warm, dry and refreshed.)
Old 10-29-18, 04:42 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
This isn't really rocket science is it? Can't watch the video, sitting in a faculty meeting and man I hate this things.

Fenders, lights, performance trousers/jackets (10/5 min), waterproof shoes and gloves, lubrication?
Old 10-29-18, 05:53 AM
Banned

Just had time to watch the video.

Rolling through the stop sign and riding on the pavement/sidewalk better be careful of A&S will be all up in your business.
Old 10-29-18, 07:50 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Just had time to watch the video.

Rolling through the stop sign and riding on the pavement/sidewalk better be careful of A&S will be all up in your business.
( with apologies to Officer Krupke)
"Dear kindly Judge Your Honor
You gotta understand
The cycling infrastructure
Without me it was planned
It doesn't go where I must
...d
esigned by four-wheel fools
Two-wheels good...
That's why I break the rules"
Old 10-29-18, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobbyG
( with apologies to Officer Krupke)
"Dear kindly Judge Your Honor
You gotta understand
The cycling infrastructure
Without me it was planned
It doesn't go where I must
...d
esigned by four-wheel fools
Two-wheels good...
That's why I break the rules"
Old 10-29-18, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
haha love it! I think you did one last year on a snowy commute?
Old 10-29-18, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haha love it! I think you did one last year on a snowy commute?
You mean a song parody? If it was really awful, then it was probably me.
(I do have a playlist of my ride videos on Youtube.)
Old 10-29-18, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You make it seem like fun (maybe on a closed course or trail) when riding in the rain makes cycling exponentially more hazardous. When I used to commute in the south it was virtually unavoidable but certainly never my intent. Perhaps a video on the dangers and/or hazards of riding in the rain/foul weather or even your plan/gear set might have been more beneficial. Don't you think?
Old 10-30-18, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You make it seem like fun (maybe on a closed course or trail) when riding in the rain makes cycling exponentially more hazardous. When I used to commute in the south it was virtually unavoidable but certainly never my intent. Perhaps a video on the dangers and/or hazards of riding in the rain/foul weather or even your plan/gear set might have been more beneficial. Don't you think?
With no disrespect intended for your cycling experiences, I myself have come to find riding in the rain and snow fun and safe if the proper caution and precautions are taken. I've learned a great deal from discussions on bikeforums which has helped make foul weather riding much safer and more enjoyable for me.

As far as a video on the dangers and/or hazards of riding in inclement being more beneficial, perhaps, but that wasn't my intent.

But here is a short list of foul weather riding tips as they occur to me:

Wet roads can be slick from engine oil and/or leaves. Snow and ice covered roads, almost certainly. So avoid sudden and severe maneuvers like turns and stops, and use tires appropriate for snow and ice.

Rain hampers visibility, both to see and to be seen, as windshields, windows and mirrors may be obscured. So ride with adequate lights, and assume you can not be seen.

These tips are in addition to the usual strategies for riding safely in traffic, which in my opinion can never be discussed enough on bikeforums.
Old 10-30-18, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I also commute in the rain and yes visibility is key for me too. I even wear a reflective vest on top of my orange rain jacket. These $7 vests you can buy at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-53941A-...eflective+vest
In addition two lights at front and rear each. Especially at these rainy days I have to switch from trails to suburban roads. Most of the paved trails are running through woods and are getting really slippery since they are fully covered with leaves or have dirt washed across the trails. I already had a few close calls and avoid them during or after rain.
Old 10-30-18, 11:04 AM
Banned

I greatly enjoy riding in the rain with my new jacket.

I have found that having adequate lights is really important and I have be able to get 5 years out usage out of my Knog Blinder lights which are extremely bright for a be-seen-style light. I can't recommend them too much.

Old 10-30-18, 11:08 AM

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Not hijacking the thread but hijacking anyway . How you guys keep your shoes dry?
Last Sunday rode on rain and was not happy with my shoes soaked and that feeling water inside shoes while pedaling.
Old 10-30-18, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phtomita
Not hijacking the thread but hijacking anyway . How you guys keep your shoes dry?
Last Sunday rode on rain and was not happy with my shoes soaked and that feeling water inside shoes while pedaling.
Good evening Phtomita.

When raining, I wear Adidas Nordic Trekking shoes which are Gore-Tex and fully waterproof.

Have a nice evening.
Old 10-30-18, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

I got me a pair of these.So far they have worked great but I don't have long term experience yet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-30-18, 02:08 PM

A long (almost scrape the ground +flap) front fender helps a lot. And the rain cape (which drapes over the font bars) seems to help also.
Old 10-30-18, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
With no disrespect intended for your cycling experiences, I myself have come to find riding in the rain and snow fun and safe if the proper caution and precautions are taken. I've learned a great deal from discussions on bikeforums which has helped make foul weather riding much safer and more enjoyable for me.

As far as a video on the dangers and/or hazards of riding in inclement being more beneficial, perhaps, but that wasn't my intent.

But here is a short list of foul weather riding tips as they occur to me:

Wet roads can be slick from engine oil and/or leaves. Snow and ice covered roads, almost certainly. So avoid sudden and severe maneuvers like turns and stops, and use tires appropriate for snow and ice.

Rain hampers visibility, both to see and to be seen, as windshields, windows and mirrors may be obscured. So ride with adequate lights, and assume you can not be seen.

These tips are in addition to the usual strategies for riding safely in traffic, which in my opinion can never be discussed enough on bikeforums.
I didn't miss your intent, in fact, I get it. I grew up in the southeast so I know the peaceful calming effects the rain can have (I used to go for walks in the light rain) and/or the sense of adventure in challenging the element. Nevertheless, the increase dangers when cycling in the foul weather cannot be overstated. All your controls and maneuvers are expanded by a factor of two.

Thing is, most motorist around you are unaware of this or don't care. They have the stability and security of four wheels to our two so they don't need to slow down like we do. Cyclist can't stop or turn on a dime like we can when the roads are dry. All maneuvers take more distance, focus and care.

I didn't notice any floods or puddles in your video but the route I'd take there were entire blocks that were flooded including the sidewalk. You have to slow to a crawl and ride in the center of the street because your crank would be submerged and you don't know what's hazards are under that water. If you're fortunate enough to have your route on main roads that drain well you're lucky. Half of mine were not.

One more thing, cars...and trucks, don't slow down. They go by you at full speed and you end up with road spray in your face, of worse, drenched from a puddle. Not a very pleasant experience I assure you.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but the flip side of foul-weather cycling was just too important to be ignored. I hope you everyone continues to have an enjoyable cycling experience in all weather conditions. Ride safely.
Old 10-30-18, 03:05 PM

...the route I'd take there were entire blocks that were flooded including the sidewalk. You have to slow to a crawl and ride in the center of the street because your crank would be submerged and you don't know what's hazards are under that water. If you're fortunate enough to have your route on main roads that drain well you're lucky. Half of mine were not.

One more thing, cars...and trucks, don't slow down. They go by you at full speed and you end up with road spray in your face, of worse, drenched from a puddle. Not a very pleasant experience I assure you.
Yikes! That sounds miserable and dangerous. It is very different than my experience.
Old 10-31-18, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-31-18, 09:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old, not in LA, but a small town, and retired.. Bought a quality cyclists rain cape,
and many years later, glad I did .

I can put it on in a couple moments , If I don't start out the trip,
already wearing it..

my wettest winter shoes came from LL Bean, they're rubber bottomed ,
so feet stay dry..
Old 11-02-18, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't miss your intent, in fact, I get it. I grew up in the southeast so I know the peaceful calming effects the rain can have (I used to go for walks in the light rain) and/or the sense of adventure in challenging the element. Nevertheless, the increase dangers when cycling in the foul weather cannot be overstated. All your controls and maneuvers are expanded by a factor of two.

Thing is, most motorist around you are unaware of this or don't care. They have the stability and security of four wheels to our two so they don't need to slow down like we do. Cyclist can't stop or turn on a dime like we can when the roads are dry. All maneuvers take more distance, focus and care.

I didn't notice any floods or puddles in your video but the route I'd take there were entire blocks that were flooded including the sidewalk. You have to slow to a crawl and ride in the center of the street because your crank would be submerged and you don't know what's hazards are under that water. If you're fortunate enough to have your route on main roads that drain well you're lucky. Half of mine were not.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but the flip side of foul-weather cycling was just too important to be ignored. I hope you everyone continues to have an enjoyable cycling experience in all weather conditions. Ride safely.
I see what you did there...

no seriously, these are all valid points. And its never a bad thing to discuss alternative perspectives. I thought I was good with my lights and clothing and took solace in my preparedness.

one time I was riding home un the rain and came across a street that was flooded out. Riding in the center I'd get my leg halfway up my shin submerged but I put it in easy gear, clipped in, and rode through.

next time that happened, I clipped in, rode through cautiously and hit what appeared to be the tree of life under the murky water. I managed to clip out but, not after falling completely over and being almost completely submerged. It all happened slowly so it must have looked funny but it sure did suck at the time. Lights and reflective clothing didn't help me out at all then.
Old 11-02-18, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
I see what you did there...

no seriously, these are all valid points. And its never a bad thing to discuss alternative perspectives. I thought I was good with my lights and clothing and took solace in my preparedness.

one time I was riding home un the rain and came across a street that was flooded out. Riding in the center I'd get my leg halfway up my shin submerged but I put it in easy gear, clipped in, and rode through.

next time that happened, I clipped in, rode through cautiously and hit what appeared to be the tree of life under the murky water. I managed to clip out but, not after falling completely over and being almost completely submerged. It all happened slowly so it must have looked funny but it sure did suck at the time. Lights and reflective clothing didn't help me out at all then.
I will never understand why commuters get clipless pedals when its always stop and go, avoiding cars, pedestrians etc. AND it does nothing for speed or comfort. Nothing.
Old 11-02-18, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I will never understand why commuters get clipless pedals when its always stop and go, avoiding cars, pedestrians etc. AND it does nothing for speed or comfort. Nothing.
I didn't get clipless for my commute, I got clipless for my bike that I was riding for leisure. And then it became I have a clipless bike that I could commute on. I see your point though. My commute being just under 4 miles only has two stops signs and one light along single lane roads that are also not main arteries. With minimal foot and vehicular traffic I guess it just never bothered me to ride clipless to work.

I did ride this bike in NYC along main roads, the bike paths, visited some restaurants, rode through times square and central park. Big change from what I'm used to riding in Massachusetts. But, familiarity with my bike and a heightened sense of awareness being in the city let me finish my 36 mile ride around town with no problems. I cant tell you for sure they were of any benefit at all in the city, but they also weren't a hindrance of any sort. I like em.
Old 11-02-18, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by crazyravr
I have to disagree. I switched to clipless pedals less than a year ago and should have done earlier. Riding a recumbent the clipless pedals provide a lot less stress to my knees. I can use the full cycle and not just push. So for me it is a lot of comfort for my knees. And I mainly commute on suburban side roads or bicycle paths. Very little traffic, not many stops, no pedestrians and one traffic light on my 5 mile commute.
Old 11-02-18, 03:53 PM

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I have to disagree. I switched to clipless pedals less than a year ago and should have done earlier. Riding a recumbent the clipless pedals provide a lot less stress to my knees. I can use the full cycle and not just push. So for me it is a lot of comfort for my knees. And I mainly commute on suburban side roads or bicycle paths. Very little traffic, not many stops, no pedestrians and one traffic light on my 5 mile commute.
Who says you have to push on the pedals to utilize the full stroke? I come from a road racing scene where I was clipped all the time, I still am on my road bike where I go for long long fast rides. The only time where the clipless really helps is pulling the bike up a hill. Then and only then clipless makes sense. But for commuting.... nope.
Here is an example. I commute pretty much daily and my go to route is just under 40km. On my fast road carbon bike, clipped in I average 28km/h (usually), on my twice the weight commuting hybrid bike with fenders, racks, panniers, food etc. I average 25km/h. So you see, it really makes no difference.
Old 11-05-18, 09:03 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
@crazyravr, saying one doesn't need clipless is as silly as saying one needs them. Why can't we just use what we prefer? I like riding with cleats a whole lot better than without. I would not say anyone needs them. Without cleats, I place my feet on the pedals in a position that creates nerve pressure in my feet. And getting in and out is no trouble for me in stop and go traffic. I can do it rapidly without looking, as I have tons of practice. Pedal and let pedal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.