Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

new tire sidewall abrasion diy fix/protection ideas?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

new tire sidewall abrasion diy fix/protection ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 04:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
shoe goo...who knew?
you're a poet and you don't knowit
Old 08-24-20, 04:45 AM
djb

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This would be a good candidate for dacron sailcloth and contractor's contact cement on the inside. Dacron sailcloth as in the stuff a sailmaker would use for say an older class of racing dinghies, not the "sailcloth" in fabric stores. The repair would outlast the tire and be just as strong (or stronger than the casing.

I don't know if Montreal has a sailmaker. (I did sail with a guy who used to trail his boat down to Massachusetts from Montreal 50 years ago.) Might do a web search and if yes, give them a call and ask about getting a scrap. A square foot would keep you in first class boots a long time.
thanks 79, but I'm rather leary now about long term inner boots due to the numerous warnings about long term inner tube friction damage from boots. A couple of experienced folks have brought it up, and because this is only a slight abrasion on the outside of tire, I'm going to leave the inside alone.
Old 08-24-20, 08:26 PM
djb

PS
saw this sign on my trip and very much hoped that my tires wouldn't delaminate like the tires on the bike in the sign---saved by Shoe-Goo!!
Likes For djb: