Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New pedals stripped crank

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Repair crank with current L pedal (So both pedals Left)
4.00%
Repair crank with new pedals (R + L)
16.00%
New crank with new pedals (R + L)
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

New pedals stripped crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 08:37 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
After seeing those pedals and not recognizing them I can see why they might send 2 left pedals, they are some cheap-o pedals from Alibaba and his 40 thieves or from Billionaire Jeff Bezos presents Amazon where you can buy crap at low low prices every day.

You can ask a shop and see if they can Helicoil it or repair it in some way and ask them for some pedals and ask them to install them and bring them some nice beer or cookies or candy and then go ride your bike. Everyone is probably good at something but not everyone is good at everything and that is OK you just have to "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run..."
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-04-21, 09:09 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Work in a service strong LBS and you'll see all kinds of boo boos. There's a reason why more and more big box bikes are coming with "L" and "R" stickers on the cranks and pedals. The amount of added effort to thread a LH pedal into the RH arm (if the arm is Al) is less then what some think. Especially if greased threads and a long lever arm is at play.

Iride01- I figured that the pro that the OP brings the bike to will get the thread directions correct Andy
Old 11-05-21, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why else would the pedal fall off whilst I'm cycling? I would assume forward motion on a bike would increase resistance between pedal and the crank, not loosen it? Come to think there was a bit of resistance on the R pedal's spindle when rotating it, it was not turning as easy as the L pedal. I tried to lube it up but still the same. I guess it doesn't matter now lol so I will just get a new pair.

Does anyone recommend a place to get reasonably priced vintage pedals for a pinarello? These were from eBay..
Old 11-05-21, 07:33 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.....I am casting a write in vote for the purchase of "2" left cranks....After all why spend money on another set of pedals.
6'-0" CheaterBar, Ben
Do we know the OP didn't already have two L crankarms installed, and that was the problem?
Old 11-05-21, 08:10 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by trrrrrev
Does anyone recommend a place to get reasonably priced vintage pedals for a pinarello? These were from eBay..
Well now that you say the word vintage, then you bring up the possibility that these may not be threaded as most every bike has been since the 80's. Though I don't know that Pinarello ever used those other standards.
Old 11-05-21, 08:58 AM

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It doesn't matter what brand of bike it is...what matters is what kind of crank you're trying to install them in.
Old 11-05-21, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do we know the OP didn't already have two L crankarms installed, and that was the problem?

We're pretty sure that's not the issue or the OP would have complained that the bike didn't go because no chainrings.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-05-21, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
No the crank arm is fine - I have changed the pedals in previous years and didn't have any issues. I think it's likely these dodgy eBay pedals and not the bike, and I probably did try force the pedals in which messed up the crank..
Old 11-05-21, 09:22 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My first impression is that the crank, bottom bracket shell and chain are filthy. This bike need proper servicing and cleaning. It's way past due.

Don't do anything until the crank is removed and cleaned. Check the chainrings for wear, gouging, etc., and make a determination whether or not to replace worn parts (bolts or chainring(s)).

Test the cartridge BB bearing for wear or play. Likely it's okay, but verify this.

Thoroughly clean the bottom bracket shell area, front derailleur, and below BB shell cable guides (which undoubtedly are equally filthy).

Take the [now clean] right crank to a bike shop and ask whether they have the Helicoil kit to make a repair of the threads. If so, have them do it.

Bring the repaired crank home and re-install to the correct torque spec (in the neighborhood of 35-40 N-m).

Get a new set if pedals and inspect the thread direction on each BEFORE attempting an install. Carefully, grease and hand thread them, use a wrench to bring them to tightness.

Pause and consider the lessons you've learned from this. Remember the lessons.
Old 11-05-21, 09:24 AM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Why else would the pedal fall off whilst I'm cycling? I would assume forward motion on a bike would increase resistance between pedal and the crank, not loosen it? Come to think there was a bit of resistance on the R pedal's spindle when rotating it, it was not turning as easy as the L pedal. I tried to lube it up but still the same. I guess it doesn't matter now lol so I will just get a new pair.

...I'm genuinely uncertain of your expectations at this point. But I can tell you from your description of the issue that a new pair of pedals by themselves, no matter their quality, are unlikely to now repair the damage you've encountered. I have wide feet, so I use the quill pedals that used to be made and sold by SR. But there are plenty of flats (like the ones you show), that will fit your crank on a Pinarello. They are unlikely to have a crank that uses French standards.

It does look and sound like it's probably a crank that is worth repairing.

The reason one of your pedals pulled out is any body's guess without an in person examination. I'll save speculation for someone who likes to do that.
Old 11-05-21, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Precession is the term for the forces that rotate pedal axles within the crank arm threads. The threading directions used are those that make the axle self tightening. By using a reversed from the convention threading direction (as in the OP's LH axle in RH arm) that pedal axle will tend to self loosen. Once a pedal axle is slightly loose then the next type of forces kick in. The pedal will be wiggle this way and that way within the arm and the hard steel axle bearing the full weight of the rider will auger out the arm's hole. IME it's his two step process that causes the real damage, removal/flowing away of the arm's material. Andy
Old 11-05-21, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
As stated above, it's because Newton's third rule predominates.
Old 11-05-21, 10:13 AM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
We're pretty sure that's not the issue or the OP would have complained that the bike didn't go because no chainrings.
Unlikely, but every now and then a right arm with no chainrings from the front of a tandem gets mixed in as a normal left arm.
Old 11-05-21, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Unlikely, but every now and then a right arm with no chainrings from the front of a tandem gets mixed in as a normal left arm.

You learn something new every day!
Old 11-05-21, 10:22 AM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by 2old
As stated above, it's because Newton's third rule predominates.
...speaking of physics. If we are all headed toward the heat death of the universe anyway, why bother to repair it ?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-05-21, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Precession is the term for the forces that rotate pedal axles within the crank arm threads. The threading directions used are those that make the axle self tightening. By using a reversed from the convention threading direction (as in the OP's LH axle in RH arm) that pedal axle will tend to self loosen. Once a pedal axle is slightly loose then the next type of forces kick in. The pedal will be wiggle this way and that way within the arm and the hard steel axle bearing the full weight of the rider will auger out the arm's hole. IME it's his two step process that causes the real damage, removal/flowing away of the arm's material. Andy

That was enlightening, thanks.
Old 11-05-21, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...speaking of physics. If we are all headed toward the heat death of the universe anyway, why bother to repair it ?
Our lives are more about our paths and time alive then where we are when we die. Andy (who thinks riding a bike is about more then a Strava record)
Old 11-05-21, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Sounds like the crank was messed up to begin with. This is the one area of the bicycle that takes an incredible amount of torque forces. Buy a new set of pedals and a new crank. Then as you ride your bicycle consider the repair of the crank. "Heli Coils" come to mind. Filling the hole with "Aluma Weld" then re-tapping to 9/16ths. Of course all of this is unproven but just think of what fun...

This is a long video but worth the time just to know for further applications...

Last edited by zandoval; 11-05-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-05-21, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Filling the hole with "Aluma Weld" then re-tapping to 9/16ths. Of course all of this is unproven but just think of what fun...
This is a long video but worth the time just to know for further applications...https://youtu.be/3pVS3Jttozk
I've used the Aluma Weld and it's great for some things but I wouldn't recommend it for this as you've got to get the aluminum extremely hot which could ruin any heat treating and the "soldering" is very hard to control meaning trying to machine and cut threads that are perfectly positioned and square afterwards would take some decent machining skills. The helicoil or threadsert would be my choice.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 11-05-21 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 11-05-21, 06:21 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Our lives are more about our paths and time alive then where we are when we die. Andy (who thinks riding a bike is about more then a Strava record)
...for your sake, I hope no one from the road forum sees this.
Old 11-05-21, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
I’m seeing a lot of pretentious comments. Like we haven’t seen this happen a million times in bike shops from people trying to install pedals themselves. Don’t read the negative comments. Happens all the damn time.

If there’s enough meat, a bike shop can tap and clean. You may have lost a couple threads but it’s better than none.

Someone mentioned heli coil which is the go to if there’s no meat left at all. Most bike shops should have these but I remember when we couldn’t get our hands on them for months for some reason.

I see it’s a an old 105 crank. These guys go for cheap. If a bike shop isn’t too big of jerks, square taper cranks can be slapped on and off within thirty minutes(if they’re not busy…) Maybe take a look around on Ebay if everything else is too troublesome.

Again, ignore the “you’re stupid” comments. Happens all the time.

By the looks of the poll, it’s time for some new cranks. Usually the case.

Last edited by Yelbom15; 11-05-21 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-05-21, 09:51 PM

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
I’m seeing a lot of pretentious comments. Like we haven’t seen this happen a million times in bike shops from people trying to install pedals themselves. Don’t read the negative comments. Happens all the damn time.

If there’s enough meat, a bike shop can tap and clean. You may have lost a couple threads but it’s better than none.

Someone mentioned heli coil which is the go to if there’s no meat left at all. Most bike shops should have these but I remember when we couldn’t get our hands on them for months for some reason.

I see it’s a an old 105 crank. These guys go for cheap. If a bike shop isn’t too big of jerks, square taper cranks can be slapped on and off within thirty minutes(if they’re not busy…) Maybe take a look around on Ebay if everything else is too troublesome.

Again, ignore the “you’re stupid” comments. Happens all the time.

By the looks of the poll, it’s time for some new cranks. Usually the case.
No, it really doesn't happen all the damn time. I see it maybe once/twice a year. (pretentious comment on) It should be painfully obvious something is wrong and you should stop. You have to force the pedal into the threads, most of the time you can't even get the thing started. (pretentious comment off) And no way you can clean that mess up with a tap...not gonna happen and be anywhere near safe.
Old 11-05-21, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts

Yikes. Got a bit defensive in here.

Last edited by Yelbom15; 11-05-21 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Can you show us a close up on the pedal threads, the new ones you bought? It is possible to tell the threading if the image is detailed enough. Will be fairly easy to determine if you have recieved two "left sided" pedals. I think such an image would interest most people in this post, and it can also be the basis for a return claim.
In the OP's defence, aluminium crank threads can strip even if not abused. Especially if the cranks are old, as aluminium does not age gracefully. It may be the case that the original pedals was tough to remove (cheater bar tough). When such forces are involved you can end up stripping the crank thread regardless. Talking from experience.
Old 11-06-21, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
The big problem with thread repair of a crank- the pedal has to end up aligned with the BB spindle when the pedal is installed. You will get a very weird feeling as you pedal if it’s just a bit off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.