Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Days of Car-Free Livin'

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First Days of Car-Free Livin'

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoltani
Yes of course they do! You pay the passenger rate and an extra dollar for your bike. The bonus is that you never have to wait for the ferry if there is a long line, just jump right to the front
I lived in Seattle for almost all my life. Didnt know that. But here when I take ferries, security is much more lax and bikers dont pay anything!
Old 06-16-12, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First days of being car free started with my move from Hawaii where I commuted to work and neighborhood bars/ friends houses and for recreation ( 1 mile each way typically...wah wah) to Long Beach where I now commute 20 miles a day to and from work...more if i make stops and such. I have been car free for 6 months. Much like the original post I use a seagull XL that bare the LA Kings colors...Stanley Cup champs 2012...had to do it sorry... I find that commuting to work clothes are the same Ive always worn...anything comfortable. I put my work attire in the waterproof bag and change at work...simple enough. My bag comfortably fits my lunch, water bottle, scrubs, jacket, and u-lock holster on the side of the bag and all the little things a commuter needs tool/patch kit, spare tubes and such...Its odd how in my late 20's however I find the money I save on car payments, insurance, gas and such go to not always healthy meals, beers, and savings accounts.
Old 06-18-12, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think for going car free, I'd want an xtra cycle or a Bakfiet. I saw a picture of a guy taking his cats to the vet on an xtra cycle. Just used the wide running board attachment in the rear and hard sided pet carriers.
Old 06-18-12, 04:42 PM
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zrane
I think for going car free, I'd want an xtra cycle or a Bakfiet. I saw a picture of a guy taking his cats to the vet on an xtra cycle. Just used the wide running board attachment in the rear and hard sided pet carriers.
There's a dude in my neighborhood that rides around with his cat latched onto his back via claws. We call him the Cat Fred.
Old 06-19-12, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade
There's a dude in my neighborhood that rides around with his cat latched onto his back via claws. We call him the Cat Fred.
He a brave soul!! That cat gets spooked and he may be Dead Cat Fred. lol
Old 06-19-12, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand why you need special bike clothes for such a short commute. You probably don't even need to change clothes unless you have to wear a suit and tie - Bay Area weather is so mild you won't work up much of a sweat unless you are pedaling too hard. People in China and Europe manage to ride bikes in their regular clothes all the time.
Old 06-19-12, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humboldt'sroads
I need a much bigger bag!
For me a backpack on a bike is like the trunk on a car. Mostly I use a very large one that is big enough to carry my 11 pound Lenovo laptop, and bunches of other stuff too.

Originally Posted by Thor29
I don't understand why you need special bike clothes for such a short commute.
I can't speak for the op, but I agree with you. I'm fortunate that I don't have a suit and tie job. I don't have any bike clothes, but don't do the long distance or extreme stuff. Just a commute about 6 miles each way. Even running errands on my days off, my favorite clothes are construction type work pants and shirts. (Kodiak in Canada, which are something like Dickie's in the states.)
Old 06-20-12, 04:58 AM

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My work location is 23 miles away. I don't think that is a practical commuting distance as it will take me over 2 hours each way. For the most of last 2 years I worked from home as my work involves interaction with folks dispersed all over the country and hardly anyone from the actual work location. Now, the company is strictly enforcing the no telecommuting for hired help (AKA contractors) policy. I don't understand why one of the largest enterprises is so moronic.

I am thinking of partial bike commuting, leaving the car in a shopping center parking lot.
Old 06-26-12, 05:42 PM
Chieftain

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor29
I don't understand why you need special bike clothes for such a short commute. You probably don't even need to change clothes unless you have to wear a suit and tie - Bay Area weather is so mild you won't work up much of a sweat unless you are pedaling too hard. People in China and Europe manage to ride bikes in their regular clothes all the time.
The need arises not so much from needing special bike clothes for a 7 mile round trip commute, but more from spending much more time on the bike every day than previously. Errands at lunch or after work, trips to the grocery, to BART, into the City, Berkeley, etc, all add up to an extra 50+ miles weekly. Sometimes I'll use the opportunity to get in short interval work on the way home, which can get quite hot and sweaty. I also spend a good deal of time on training rides, so eliminating any unnesessary sources of chafing or discomfort is certainly welcome!

I find that my nicer pants get stretched out quickly riding in them every day and the crotch and seat of pants I ride in a lot tend to get threadbare. Not that I have an immediate need to replace all my work clothes, but as I buy new items, their bike-friendliness is my first or second consideration.

I'm now a couple weeks in and feel great! The XL Seagull bag arrives tomorrow and I've picked up some items to make time in the saddle more comfy and less clammy - a light merino hoodie for cold rides to the ballpark for night games, and some Swrve stretchy jeans that I've found double as great climbing pants! I've found that REI baselayer tanktops and t-shirts are good, affordable replacements to my cotton undershirts, and that smartwool socks are the light, the truth, and a way of life.
Old 06-26-12, 09:20 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by humboldt'sroads
I'm now a couple weeks in and feel great! The XL Seagull bag arrives tomorrow and I've picked up some items to make time in the saddle more comfy and less clammy - a light merino hoodie for cold rides to the ballpark for night games, and some Swrve stretchy jeans that I've found double as great climbing pants! I've found that REI baselayer tanktops and t-shirts are good, affordable replacements to my cotton undershirts, and that smartwool socks are the light, the truth, and a way of life.
Congratulations on your new adventure. Also sounds like you have put together a backup plan so that you aren't relying completely on a bicycle for your transportation.

I've been totally carfree for a while now. I love to ride but it seems like every once in a while I need a day or two on the bus to get rested or over some issue. I have some pretty good bus routes nearby.

Nice to have that backup.