Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to clean bike chain rags back to completely white?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is it possible to clean bike chain rags back to completely white?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
The correct answer is, switch to wax. But if you insist on oil, then my method is to use different sections of rag until the whole thing is filthy, then throw in trash. If I have "microfibre" or other fancy rags, I don't use them for grease cleaning.

scott s.
Old 05-15-21, 04:41 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
A little drakes on it & drop it in the frydaddy? mmmm deep fried pothole tar, earth, & geese crap with a faint taste of spent 10w30.
Old 05-15-21, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Not trying to be snarky but this is equivalent to trying to keep the bottom of your shoes clean. Just wash the towels enough so you're not smearing previous goo all over the place. My favorite for cleaning is old cotton T-Shirts. When they get saturated with grease and oil they get thrown away to prevent sending all that crap down into the sewage system. Too much fuss for too little return to keep white towels white.
Old 05-15-21, 05:09 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I use Scott paper shop towels for most of my needs. The exception is use with acetone, which will deteriorate a paper shop towel. I use white cotton shop rags for that. I buy both at Sam's in bulk. A cloth towel costs less than 20 cents, last time I checked.
Old 05-15-21, 06:54 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If I ever feel the need to get a tattoo, it'll be a partial chain ring imprint on the inside of my right calf.
Yeah, I've thought of that one.

Another I came up with would be the PlayStation button symbols on my thumb, as if the colour from the buttons had seeped into my skin.
Old 05-15-21, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Get a belt drive.
Old 05-15-21, 07:57 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Get a belt drive.
do they sell anything that is not a black material for belt driven systems?
Old 05-15-21, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When you get a stain on clothes from a dirty, greasy chain, I've found putting neat 'dish soap' / 'washing-up liquid' with a little hot water on it as soon as possible. Then scratching away at the mark with a fingernail or somesuch. I've had some success with this method, which I think is down to getting detergent on the stain before it soaks into the fabric and dries.

(If you live in an area where warm weather brings cockroaches, keep a mild solution of the aforementioned detergent and water in a bidon. When encountering the bugs, give them a blast from the bottle. They soon die.)
Likes For Jockie:
Old 05-15-21, 11:38 PM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Jockie
When you get a stain on clothes from a dirty, greasy chain, I've found putting neat 'dish soap' / 'washing-up liquid' with a little hot water on it as soon as possible. Then scratching away at the mark with a fingernail or somesuch. I've had some success with this method, which I think is down to getting detergent on the stain before it soaks into the fabric and dries.

(If you live in an area where warm weather brings cockroaches, keep a mild solution of the aforementioned detergent and water in a bidon. When encountering the bugs, give them a blast from the bottle. They soon die.)

interesting thought.

I spilled melted wax on a sweater I liked once.

I put dish soap in boiling water in a giant pot on the stovetop. Dipped waxy portion in and poof(!) wax disappeared.
Old 05-15-21, 11:58 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
They are rags, why would you spend time, and resources doing that?
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-16-21, 05:31 AM

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I recently heard the reason cycling pants are black is so the leather treatment on vintage saddles won't show.
I always thought it had to do with pictures like these

Old 05-16-21, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I always thought it had to do with pictures like these....
And now we know where you got your name.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-16-21, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by ship69
What do you folks do if you get a little chain oil on your finest clothes?

Burn them?
I commute in my work clothes (unless it's raining),and occasionally a spot or two of grease will get on my (usually) pants. Doesn't look good on light colored khakis.
I've had good luck applying Goop hand cleaner to the spots, rubbing it in, letting it soak overnight. I'll spend a few minutes rubbing the Goop into the stain with a thumbnail. After rinsing with water, the spots come out pretty well in the wash. Once in a while the spots require two treatments. Of course, the best thing is to not get the stains in the first place.
I wouldn't spend this much effort on shop rags though...
Old 05-16-21, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah nah.

Pro tip: You want white (or at least pastel) rags, which tell you at a glance how dirty they are.

Only cotton is worth a damn, and the best forms of it are towel and dish towel, depending on the application.

As a hydraulic service tech, we get the best rags going - white towels. All the other blokes we work with who use rags get dead jealous
A few years ago, I called a local wiping cloth supplier and ordered 20 lbs of 'woven cotton rags'. What I got was 20 lbs of white cotton washcloths. Most of them look brand new; a few have had holes or stains. They're great.