Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Copper Triangle Ride (Colorado)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Copper Triangle Ride (Colorado)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 04:18 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Blood volume does drop at altitude, it's the fastest and most noticeable adaptation.

It does concentrate the red blood cells, but it impairs aerobic performance.
Originally Posted by asgelle
In other words the opposite of what you originally wrote.
Opposite? I don't see that. What I originally wrote:

Your body dumps a bunch of blood volume overnight, reducing the ability to pump blood.
Seems to me accurate and consistent. Reduced blood volume decreases the ability to move blood through the body (see reference I cited above).

Old 06-01-21, 04:20 PM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Is the reduction of blood volume a good thing or a bad thing?
It impairs aerobic performance, which most athletes would consider a "bad thing".

Old 06-01-21, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 3,013 Posts
It impairs aerobic performance, which most athletes would consider a "bad thing".
If decreased blood volume impairs aerobic performance, and the decrease ramps up over 24-48 hours, that would support the idea that you don't want to arrive for a high-altitude event a few days in advance. As stated by an earlier poster, it would be best to either "chopper in" at the last minute, or arrive a few weeks in advance to let your system adapt.
Old 06-01-21, 06:05 PM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
[I]t would be best to either "chopper in" at the last minute, or arrive a few weeks in advance to let your system adapt.
The "chopper in" on the morning of the event is a good method. Just don't arrive the night before, that's worse.

A few weeks of acclimation is probably not necessary. I usually feel pretty strong after 3 nights at altitude, but I can't say that everyone responds as I do.

Another option is a couple weekend stays at altitude, a few weeks before the event.

The one year I raced the Everest Challenge, which ranged 3,000 to 10,000 feet, I rented a cabin at 8000 feet for the week. After sleeping at 8000 feet for five nights, I felt great on race day.

Old 06-01-21, 06:17 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I live at sea level, and the soonest I can arrive is the Wednesday before the Saturday right (so three nights of getting used to the elevation). Should I not bother going?

Not at all. Just realize you won’t be able to acclimatize. However, the difference in FTP between acclimatized and not acclimatized is not that big.

Based on my personal experience, doing events like the US Pro Challenge, Leadville, and Everest Challnege coming from sea level, and a decent amount of data, I stand by my assertion that if you can’t get there 2 weeks ahead, getting there no more than 36 hours ahead may be better than several days.

https://www.velonews.com/training/al...g-performance/

individual susceptibility to altitude sickness varies, and so the advice to “helicopter in” will vary for different people. That said , if you can’t get there 2 weeks in advance, I wouldn’t worry too much if you get there 1,2, or 3 days ahead.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-01-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 3,013 Posts
The "chopper in" on the morning of the event is a good method. Just don't arrive the night before, that's worse.
Yes, arriving the morning of the event is better than arriving the night before ... which is better than arriving two nights before ... which is probably better than arriving three nights before.
Old 06-01-21, 06:31 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
The effects of acclimating are not really all that big,

At 12000 feet above sea level the difference in power between acclimated and not is about 3%

https://joefrielsblog.com/altitude-a...c-performance/

So, well acclimated you’ll have 80% of your sea level power. Not acclimated 77%. At an elite level where the difference between winning and losing is razor thin, that’s huge. At a recreational level trying to finish the event with a respectable time, and have fun, it just means you need to pace just a touch slower.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-01-21 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 07:09 PM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The effects of acclimating are not really all that big,

At 12000 feet above sea level the difference in power between acclimated and not is about 3%
It’s not just the power difference, though. There’s also the difference between feeling good and feeling crummy.

If I do an extended ride on day 1, I’ll often feel crummy and suffer on the bike. Better on day 2. Just fine on day 3.

Old 06-07-21, 03:16 PM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
You guys are hilarious, with all the blood questions and answers. "Where does it go" was the best!

Anyway, back on topic...YES, the Copper Triangle is a fantastic supported ride. It is well worth it. The support is excellent and the ride is beautifully scenic and fun! Do it! Don't go out too hard on the first climb (Fremont Pass) or you will pay for it at Vail Pass (the last climb). Take it easy and enjoy the views. There will be plenty of folks at different paces.