Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I was watching "Hoarders" on TV.............

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I was watching "Hoarders" on TV.............

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 12:02 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not a hoarder, I consider myself a collector, and part time flipper. Every thing is quite organized, but to the laymen's eyes, I have too much bike stuff. It is funny (and sad) how a few neighbors came into the garage when I wasn't there, but my wife was parking her car (in the garage!) and gasped at the number of bikes and wheels. One had the nerve to ask, "And you put up with all this?!?" My wife rebutted that there's no problem, I had all this stuff before we got married, and that there's 6 more frames in boxes in the corner. That kind a put the brakes on where they were trying to take the conversation. Dissing on husbands. It's really none of their business, but you can never make these people realize that. I've also gotten the "Why would anyone need more than 1 bike?" Or, "Bikes are for kids."

I agree with Thrifty Bill, I now try to keep my garage door closed from prying eyes. Funny thing is compared to most of the garages here, ours is not full of ***** and inaccessible. Just contains the 'wrong' stuff. So, we're now the eccentric family on our street.
Old 02-14-11, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reelfishin
Another place I bought out was pretty much a private museum of old bikes and toys, the guy passed away and his kids sold the whole lot for scrap prices just to get the building and house empty to sell. That one was another two full truck loads and three 40' shipping containers full of old bikes and parts from the 20's to the mid 60's. Surprisingly enough though the items that sold for the most money back then were the kids toys, more specifically the pedal cars.
I take this as the important lesson and I try to use it as a way to temper my various collections.. In the long run, it's not going to matter at all. I try to stick to just enough stuff as is enjoyable. Sometimes I'm faced with the feeling that if I had a nicer bike, cooler records, more expensive guitars, gee wouldn't that be great.. The list goes on, but it's all pretty futile. It can be a challenge, but one that's worth meeting.
Old 02-14-11, 01:38 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I cycle between two extremes.
It starts with a surplus of bike parts, wheels, tires, chains - possibly from upgrades or buying an extra item on sale. I might pick up one or more Craiglist or free bikes.
Next, my bike fund is waning and items are clogging the work and storage area. I'll then see a new or different bike frameset and/or donor bike - and start thinking - "all I need is this frame and a rear derailleur and I can build a road/tri/cross/mtb bike". I pick up the frame and start ordering items.
As I wait I'll determine that some planned parts won't work - but if I order more I can make a second bike.
The parts and projects pile up - I have no room to store partially restored bikes. I suffer stress.
I start working off the bikes. First one, then another gets completed and posted on Craigslist. I sell them and start working on the remainder.
Eventually the last bike is sold. My bike fund is healthy.
I feel tense. The bike fund bloats my wallet and starts burning a hole. I start looking at component sales and double point events. All my bikes are tuned, cleaned, and waiting. I feel empty, I suffer stress.
I start trading, buying, putting out posters asking for bikes.
I move back to step one and repeat.....

Last edited by robtown; 02-14-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I've studied what drives this C&V bike psychosis, where we need to have not one but several, or several dozen bikes, and I've concluded that it is nothing less than a very powerful and primordial hunter-gatherer instinct surfacing in us.

"Back in the day" - I mean WWAAAYY back in the day, our tribe relied upon us to hunt and gather, to provide sustenance.

Life was tough!

- There was no eBay or Craig's list or even a thrift store where we could buy mammoths, pterodactyls or brontosauruses, so we spent even more time then stalking such dangerous quarry as we do today looking for "killer deals".

Meanwhile, our wives would stay back in the cave, cleaning, minding the kids and cooking bronto-burgers in anxious anticipation of our return home. - And they NEVER complained about how many things we brought home either. No siree... (We were very chauvinistic back them. )

These instincts carry over in us today, but manifest themselves in other ways. Did you ever notice how your pulse will quicken, and how you will start to perspire, whenever you see that primo Italian road bike for $20 ? - Indeed, it has to be something innate in us, to elicit such a strong physiological response to an external stimulus, such as a simple CL advert!

Obviously - one must conclude that having a lot of bikes is essential to the human condition, and I have no doubt that if this impulse is denied, our very well-being, and that of civilization will most certainly suffer.
Old 02-14-11, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I am currently working up a rather complex equation
for the determination of s.
The equation will be of little value unless we can apply the Holtzman effect - "S" is really a factor of folding space, not really a matter of what it contains or its volume - Further more all income is disposable - Just look how much of it is disposed of before it ever crosses our hands... Maybe I should have gotten into micro folding bikes... Nano Bikes???
Old 02-14-11, 03:25 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I think the "hunter-gatherer" metaphor is flawed.

You don't eat bikes. You only need one bike to get to the hunting grounds.
In the Italian film "the Bicycle Thief" the protagonist can support his family, post WWII, because of his bicycle. Once it is stolen from him, he can no longer work. He spends the remainder of the film searching for his, or another.

I think it is more a condition of the luxury of variety, and having an almost endless choice in our rich culture, and the means to acquire them.
Old 02-14-11, 03:42 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,074 Times in 796 Posts
clarifying terms:
"hoarding" is only a problem if a man does it (with bicycles);
If a woman does the same thing (but with shoes or scarves) it's "retail therapy".
Old 02-14-11, 03:43 PM
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anytime I see pictures like this (or see hoarder's lots like this)

I feel like I can hear summer trapped; cannonballs at the local pool, baseball cards clothespinned to spokes, hamburgers on the grill, the crack of a baseball bat, the ice-cream truck's warbling melody. I bet the hoarders do too.
Old 02-14-11, 04:25 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I don't believe it's the hunter/gatherer theory either.
I'd venture to state it has to do with how our living conditions were during our forming years. Were times tight? Constrained budgets, denied desires and wants? Had to go out and earn and save for what you wanted? People who answer yes, will know the value of a dollar early and appreciate the cost of things. They say those who lived through the Great Depression end up unable to throw out anything. "Might use it someday" is the excuse.
Maybe something in our past triggered our behavior.

I know I can't turn down a bargain when it's anything I like or familiar with. I know what said item(s) are worth, then I ask myself will I be using it someday. Then can I afford it?, will I profit from it?, and any negative impacts (storage, expiration, opportunity costs, arguments).
The more disposable income I have, the more lenient my checklist gets though.
Old 02-14-11, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't worry, we will all be vindicated once gasoline becomes less and less affordable, and all of these extra bikes will have real value.
Old 02-14-11, 04:35 PM
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Hoarding = OK

Old Food/ Trash hoarding = Bad

EDIT: Oh, and PET hoarding = Very Bad

Old 02-14-11, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenut2011

EDIT: Oh, and PET hoarding = Very Bad

Very, very bad.
Old 02-14-11, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
In my experience, people who lived through the depression did tend to hang on to the things they had, but were very much dis-inclined to purchase more of anything than what they needed. (Certainly my folks would have considered it frivolous to have more bikes (or shoes) than you could wear out.)

- So what other explanations are there?
Old 02-14-11, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have to admit, I hate seeing bikes get scrapped. I have may be 6-7 bikes that are crap columbia whatevers that were usable, and therefore had to be saved. I wish I didn't care. My stuff would look like a "collection" if it wasn't for those things.

It's a darn good thing I didn't get into used bikes earlier.
Old 02-14-11, 05:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
I don't hoard. I'm just the guy the neighbors call "that guy with the bikes."
Old 02-14-11, 07:50 PM

Bikes: centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Bill - since I'm familiar with your collection rules, I'm going to say you aren't a hoarder...just someone with an overwhelming inventory that needs to be sold off. I think you have to have three, or even all four, of the above to be a hoarder. One or two just means you're in the grey area. If your wife falls down on bikes, gets tetnus and tells you you have to either cut back or she's leaving you...and you chose the bikes...you're a hoarder.
this may not be strictly true. given enough time i can come up with about a 100 reasons to have more than one bike. i can't come up with any reasons at ALL to have more than one wife :-)
Old 02-14-11, 08:25 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by reelfishin
Every time I see that show it reminds me of a few of the places I've bought out. Several in the NJ/NY area were the largest, plus one about 50 miles outside of Phila.
When it takes more than one moving van or 40' container to load up all the bikes then your a hoarder, beyond that I think your OK. The best part about places like these are that you never know what you will find under all the layers of bikes and parts.
If only those were Colnagos instead of Muffies. I once talked to a man at a yard sale that said his son used to race bicycles and that he'd moved out and left a bunch of bikes and components and stuff in the basement. I finally talk him into letting me check it out only to find several Kent, Murray, Pacific, Huffy and some other unknown but equally junky brands. Not even a Schwinn or Raleigh in the pile.
Old 02-14-11, 08:44 PM
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
I don't believe it's the hunter/gatherer theory either.
I'd venture to state it has to do with how our living conditions were during our forming years. Were times tight? Constrained budgets, denied desires and wants? Had to go out and earn and save for what you wanted? People who answer yes, will know the value of a dollar early and appreciate the cost of things. They say those who lived through the Great Depression end up unable to throw out anything. "Might use it someday" is the excuse.
Maybe something in our past triggered our behavior.

I know I can't turn down a bargain when it's anything I like or familiar with. I know what said item(s) are worth, then I ask myself will I be using it someday. Then can I afford it?, will I profit from it?, and any negative impacts (storage, expiration, opportunity costs, arguments).
The more disposable income I have, the more lenient my checklist gets though.
I agree with you. I remember shopping for my second bike as a teen with my dad. We went to a Bridgestone dealer but I was intimidated with the price for a mountain bike which was about $300-500. I knew it was a quality bike, but I didn't want my dad to fork over so much money so I settled for a Huffy Mountain bike we got at a local wholesale club. I've been trying to make up for this Huffy experience ever since. I don't think I can wash this Huffy stink off my hands. I wash and wash to no avail. :-(

Funny thing is I got a Bridgestone RB-1 later on in life. I sold it like an idiot. :-( It was my size too. For some reason I held onto a Schwinn Prelude that was one size too big for me instead. I don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited by 531phile; 02-14-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 09:36 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,722 Times in 2,539 Posts
I keep thinking I'm trying to keep the number of bikes down to a reasonable level. I was trying to find the story of the guy that bought new cars and a complete set of parts for them and stored them in semi trucks. He used to sell parts, but then he had a bad transaction and stopped. He started filling the semi trailers, backing two together and then welding them together. As I recall, the collection sold for quite a bit of money.
Old 02-15-11, 11:26 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26460 Post(s)
Liked 10,419 Times in 7,234 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Seems to me that those shows are based on the concept that if your crap is worth something to somebody else, you're a "picker". If your crap isn't worth anything to somebody else, you're a "hoarder".
Old 02-15-11, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Step One: "We admitted we were powerless over (old bikes)—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Step Two:"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

There are 10 more.

~kn
Old 02-15-11, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
To me these are the lines between collector and hoarder:

2. Hoarders are unselective...they'll take bikes just to have them...never riding them or even fixing them up. They seek quantity over quality.

There is a large grey area between hoarder and afficianado, and I think a lot of us live in that grey area.
Not always. My friend owns around one hundred vintage and classic bikes. These are the ones made up and ready to ride and include all the best known names. In addition he has hundreds of parts also including tandems and trikes. All are classics with no trash allowed. To store these he has strengthened his loft-space and has also filled two large wooden huts and a garage. I can't understand it myself but I suppose it takes all kinds.
Old 02-15-11, 12:42 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Do us a favor...convince him that he has a problem and needs to get rid of 90 immediately. We can all split them up
Old 02-15-11, 01:05 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
it's only hoarding if they don't neatly fit in the space you've got alloted for them. Also, that space should not dirctly compete with your normal living space.

At least that's what i tell myself.

Old 02-15-11, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knoregs
Step One: "We admitted we were powerless over (old bikes)—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Step Two:"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

There are 10 more.

~kn
Hi, i'm a friend of Sheldon B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.